PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Questions that Remain?

Carolina_Packer
10-19-2007, 02:07 PM
5-1 feels very nice. So far so good. The biggest questions for the rest of the season are:

1) It's the running game, stupid! But, what do we do about it? I saw an interesting article with a good schematic of the Tampa 2 that explains the kind of defense we will likely continue to see a steady diet of until we figure out how to run against 7 defenders in the box. Now, they say 7 in the box, but if the Mike turns and runs back, it's really 4 down lineman and two linebackers staying near the line of scrimmage. Then you've got the "Zeke" wrinkle they talked about where the DL moves back into short coverage, so that leaves 3 down lineman at the line of scrimmage and 2 linebackers near the line. And we are still not effectively running against that. Plain and simple, it's gotta change. In the article they talked about passing ways to be the Tampa2, but how do you scheme for it running wise? What do you think they will do?

Here's the article with the Tampa2 illustration: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=676160

2) They need to improve their turnover margin. I guess if you can do ball security drills, you can also emphasize how to get the ball as a defense. Obviously, you still want to remain assignment sure and technique-wise, and not take too many chances.

3) They need to get the backs more involved in the passing game.

Can you think of any more things that need to improve?

BallHawk
10-19-2007, 02:13 PM
One of my biggest questions...

Can Nick Collins get his head out of his ass and start playing up to his potential?

Carolina_Packer
10-19-2007, 02:23 PM

Can Nick Collins get his head out of his ass and start playing up to his potential?

From a techique stand-point what does he have to do?

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 02:29 PM
2) They need to improve their turnover margin. I guess if you can do ball security drills, you can also emphasize how to get the ball as a defense. Obviously, you still want to remain assignment sure and technique-wise, and not take too many chances.

Turnovers come in bunches, and they were a ballhawking defense last year. I expect more turnovers. I'm more worried about our offense keeping the turnovers down.

We throw a ton to our backs. Our backs have 45 receptions on the year. That's not even counting the drops by Wynn and Jackson.

Maxie the Taxi
10-19-2007, 02:40 PM
You know, Carolina, the biggest questions remaining for me don't involve the run game. That is what it is and it will either come around or not. It will either be halfway decent or not. It will never be stellar. But it could be good enough to keep winning.

Truthfully, the biggest questions I have bear on how we'll perform when the pressure starts heating up.

1) Is Mason Crosby the real deal? When the pressure mounts and bad weather sets in, can the kid come through in the clutch and kick the game saving field goal from 40+ yds. out? It's looking good so far, but given last week's game I think the jury's still out.

2) Can McCarthy handle the pressure of a critical series of playcalling or a two minute "must score" drive at game's end? From my point of view he's been mostly good with some bad mixed in at the most crucial times. For example, that throw downfield by Favre last week with four minutes to go in the fourth quarter on third and two...I don't understand why you would take a chance like that when all you have to do is gain two yards and manage the clock. Another example is the pitiful two minute drill in the Bear game. Those lapses worry me.

3) Most importantly, can Favre play disciplined football for the rest of the season? Will he eat the ball or toss it out of bounds when he's under pressure, or will he try to make a high risk play when it's really not necessary? You know what I'm talking about.

These questions have been hashed over in our forum but they still loom very large in my mind. They bear directly on the Pack's ability to score needed points offensively and keep momentum on their side. Barrinig injuries I think the defense will be OK.

cheesner
10-19-2007, 03:00 PM

From a techique stand-point what does he have to do?
I don't think it is a technique issue, it has to do, as Ballhawk mentioned, with getting himself ready by pulling his head out of his ass. This will help by:

1. he will be able to see the play better
2. He will be able to breathe, thus allowing him to perform better physically
3. He will be able to communicate with the other DBs better.

Seriously, he played very well in a few games last year - I wish he could play that well more often. I am thinking it has something to do with thinking vrs just playing. He just doesn't play very comfortably. Perhaps when he becomes more used to playing with Atari.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2007, 03:05 PM
I think safeties get the bad end of the stick. Except for the elite, the only time you notice them (when they don't play in the box--ala LeRoy Butler and now Atari Bigby) is when they give up a long pass play or miss a tackle. All safeties do that. Some more than others obviously. Collins hasn't played nearly as well as I was hoping, but I don't think he's been atrocious either. We've seen atrocious in Marquand Manuel and Mark Roman before him, and Nick Collins is not that. Darren Sharper was one of the best safeties in the NFL in the early 2000s, and yet there were plenty of Packer fans who thought he sucked.

4and12to12and4
10-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Why is Collins getting beat up on? Because of his lack of interceptions? I haven't seen much of him this year as far as tackles and TV time. That usually means the DB is doing his job, cuz their not throwing his way. Where is the evidence that he is having a bad year. I don't see that at all. Bush has been picked on more than anyone and as "pack4to84" was telling me, even he at least is always right there near the receiver unlike Ahmad Carroll where the guy would be running away from him for a touchdown twice a game. I think all aspects of this team is hitting most of their cylinders other than the running game, and this may end up being a good thing, cuz it is giving us an opportunity to give Brett a lot of experience throwing to these young guys which will help in the playoffs. We will do fine if Jackson gets and stays healthy and we get our o-line healthy.

BTW, can you believe we are 5-1?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It still hasn't sunk in with me, especially the teams we've beaten. And in our only loss, we basically dominated the Bears. This is a real good season so far people, let's enjoy it while we got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't it be unbelievable to keep winning and end up with a bye in the playoffs or even homefield throughout. It's actually a possibility. Let's just keep on winning!! Go Pack.

Spaulding
10-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Why is Collins getting beat up on? Because of his lack of interceptions? I haven't seen much of him this year as far as tackles and TV time. That usually means the DB is doing his job, cuz their not throwing his way. Where is the evidence that he is having a bad year. I don't see that at all. Bush has been picked on more than anyone and as "pack4to84" was telling me, even he at least is always right there near the receiver unlike Ahmad Carroll where the guy would be running away from him for a touchdown twice a game. I think all aspects of this team is hitting most of their cylinders other than the running game, and this may end up being a good thing, cuz it is giving us an opportunity to give Brett a lot of experience throwing to these young guys which will help in the playoffs. We will do fine if Jackson gets and stays healthy and we get our o-line healthy.

BTW, can you believe we are 5-1?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It still hasn't sunk in with me, especially the teams we've beaten. And in our only loss, we basically dominated the Bears. This is a real good season so far people, let's enjoy it while we got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't it be unbelievable to keep winning and end up with a bye in the playoffs or even homefield throughout. It's actually a possibility. Let's just keep on winning!! Go Pack.

The gripe I have with Collins is mostly the angles he takes on plays. He doesn't seem instinctual and often takes the wrong angle. Without starting a top ten list for ones so far I've noted in 2007, I'll go back to the last game where Campbell scrambled into the endzone when Collins whiffed on the play.

Thankfully Bigby has a been real find so far.

Scott Campbell
10-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Why is Collins getting beat up on?

It's become a proud tradition with Packer safeties. Shaper, Roman, Manual and now Nick Collins.

BallHawk
10-19-2007, 06:21 PM

He takes some questionable angles and, as we saw against the Bears and Desmond Clark, will end up in the wrong area on a play.

He makes some really great plays, like the INT return against the Bears in the final games last year. But then again, he's dropped at least 2 INTs this year that he should of had.

Collins isn't playing badly, but he can do so much better. If he was just "a guy" I wouldn't get on his case as much. But Nick is so athletically talented that he should be playing at such a higher level. I, as many do, have high expectations for him.

MadtownPacker
10-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Collins has to be kept on the field cuz he is the only one that can chase down RBs and WRs when they are about to turn a big play into a scoring play.

Partial
10-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I think the vast majority of Collins problems directly relate to someone else on the defense not doing their job. You can fault him for missing open field tackles (he needs to hit lower), but you can't fault him for playing balls to the walls and trying to make a stop on the running back, only to have Jenkins and Poppinga screw up their assignments and make him look bad.

He isn't spectacular, but he doesn't make THAT many mistakes. Definitely Popp makes the most on the defense.

Carolina_Packer
10-19-2007, 10:18 PM

We throw a ton to our backs. Our backs have 45 receptions on the year. That's not even counting the drops by Wynn and Jackson.

OK, then would it be fair to say the Pack needs to get more receiving production from the backs? If you can't get them through the line running, perhaps some kind of designed pass play (not neccesarily the screen pass) would help them get out in space and help make plays. I'm thinking especially of Morency, perhaps even Jackson.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2007, 12:21 AM
He takes some questionable angles and, as we saw against the Bears and Desmond Clark, will end up in the wrong area on a play.

To me, Poppinga and perhaps Jenkins were most at fault on that play--yet people continue to blame Collins. That's the way it goes for safeties. It was 3rd and 2. If somebody completes a short pass in the flat, he still gets blame. At that point, a TD was better than the Bears getting a first down. At least, with the TD we had a chance to tie.

ND72
10-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Darren Sharper was one of the best safeties in the NFL in the early 2000s, and yet there were plenty of Packer fans who thought he sucked.

That was me. Darren Sharper still makes big plays, but rarely when they are needed....and, he gives up big time TD's, first to Randy Moss...now to Donald Driver :lol:

ND72
10-20-2007, 09:07 AM

see, i have to disagree with that. I watched a Madison packer show that showed that Green Bay was "Man Over"...but Collins was man on Benson, while Bigby was the "Over" in the middle of the field. They playfaked to Benson, which brought Collins in cause that's his man, and Brady POOPinga was man on Clark (which any team with a TE needs to love that we put POOP on the TE). POOP sucked in on the playaction, and only Collins reacted to Clark running downfield, which by then was way too late.

Carolina_Packer
10-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah, and I don't think BP was just being gentlemanly to his teammate and taking the blame so that Nick wouldn't be lambasted. Why would you do that, otherwise, unless it was the truth and you felt bad that it was the deciding play of the game.

retailguy
10-20-2007, 01:05 PM
For me, I'm absolutely flabbergasted that the Packers are 5-1. I still have difficulty believing it is true and that I'm not living in some parallel universe, or the focus of the next Candid Camera episode.

Yeah, I've got concerns with the run game, but more so with the OL. I just am not feeling good about the long term ability to run block. Yes, the pass blocking has been stellar, but the run blocking has been abysmal, or worse. The running backs would be adequate with better blocking. I'm not sure any of them will ever be superior, but I guess they all have talent, or they wouldn't be in the NFL, so, we'll see. I firmly believe that a lot of the "stars" in the NFL got there, not necessarily because they are superior athletes, but because they were placed in the right situation at the right time, and unlike the failures in the NFL, they knew how to capitalize on that moment. So, our running situation is dire, but not hopeless. Wynn has more talent than the average 7th rounder, still concerned about his work ethic, but, he seems to be the best hope for 2007. Jackson has more long term potential but he's really banged up, and Morency is/and always was/ stop gap. The OL needed clear coaching to switch to a pulling scheme if that's what they're really doing, or coaching to teach them how to properly cut block if they're not. So that's on Philbin and his staff.

My biggest concern for the remainder of 2007 comes when some opposing defense finds the "blueprint" on how to stop our short pass WC offense. It will happen, there are a lot of talented coaches out there that we face the rest of the year. I really thought that Greg Williams would figure it out, and I thought he had the secondary to pull it off, but, he really didn't bring too much. That surprised me. Lovie pulled it off, but not with anything dramatic or unusual.

Point is, I believe someone will figure out how to stop the short pass. We're playing really one dimensional right now. If an opposing defense figures out how to take away the short pass, will the running game be able to pick up the slack? No defense can take it all away. Figuring out what to do when the Packers face that situation is the "catalyst" towards playoffs in 2007. I think that call rests with McCarthy and his staff. If they have a plan for this, and it happens, and their plan works, this team is in great shape, and I'll have a major mea culpa to give very soon. If not, we could be in for a roller coaster ride... Either way, it promises to be a fun remainder of 2007.... Much better than what I had predicted, either way.

Now back to the parallel universe concerns... :wink:

4and12to12and4
10-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Greg Williams did figure it out, our offense only scored 10 points.

4and12to12and4
10-20-2007, 02:52 PM

He makes some really great plays, like the INT return against the Bears in the final games last year. But then again, he's dropped at least 2 INTs this year that he should of had.
Collins isn't playing badly, but he can do so much better. If he was just "a guy" I wouldn't get on his case as much. But Nick is so athletically talented that he should be playing at such a higher level. I, as many do, have high expectations for him.

All DB's drop potential interceptions, that's why they are DB's and not WR's.

Carolina_Packer
10-20-2007, 03:16 PM
For me, I'm absolutely flabbergasted that the Packers are 5-1. I still have difficulty believing it is true and that I'm not living in some parallel universe, or the focus of the next Candid Camera episode.

Yeah, I've got concerns with the run game, but more so with the OL. I just am not feeling good about the long term ability to run block. Yes, the pass blocking has been stellar, but the run blocking has been abysmal, or worse. The running backs would be adequate with better blocking. I'm not sure any of them will ever be superior, but I guess they all have talent, or they wouldn't be in the NFL, so, we'll see. I firmly believe that a lot of the "stars" in the NFL got there, not necessarily because they are superior athletes, but because they were placed in the right situation at the right time, and unlike the failures in the NFL, they knew how to capitalize on that moment. So, our running situation is dire, but not hopeless. Wynn has more talent than the average 7th rounder, still concerned about his work ethic, but, he seems to be the best hope for 2007. Jackson has more long term potential but he's really banged up, and Morency is/and always was/ stop gap. The OL needed clear coaching to switch to a pulling scheme if that's what they're really doing, or coaching to teach them how to properly cut block if they're not. So that's on Philbin and his staff.

My biggest concern for the remainder of 2007 comes when some opposing defense finds the "blueprint" on how to stop our short pass WC offense. It will happen, there are a lot of talented coaches out there that we face the rest of the year. I really thought that Greg Williams would figure it out, and I thought he had the secondary to pull it off, but, he really didn't bring too much. That surprised me. Lovie pulled it off, but not with anything dramatic or unusual.

Point is, I believe someone will figure out how to stop the short pass. We're playing really one dimensional right now. If an opposing defense figures out how to take away the short pass, will the running game be able to pick up the slack? No defense can take it all away. Figuring out what to do when the Packers face that situation is the "catalyst" towards playoffs in 2007. I think that call rests with McCarthy and his staff. If they have a plan for this, and it happens, and their plan works, this team is in great shape, and I'll have a major mea culpa to give very soon. If not, we could be in for a roller coaster ride... Either way, it promises to be a fun remainder of 2007.... Much better than what I had predicted, either way.

Now back to the parallel universe concerns... :wink:

Yeah, as someone posted after you, I think for the last 6 quarters, they have figured out how to defense the Packers offense. I put this in the original post: Here's the article with the Tampa2 illustration: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=676160