PDA

View Full Version : Help for the Blind

Kiwon
10-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I never get to see the games so can someone tell me what's up with the Packers' running game?

Why are they averaging 65.7 yards a game?

The pre-season article highlighted the fact that the O-Line had more confidence given that this is the second year of them playing together in the ZBS. So what gives?

Is the lack of success mainly on the part of the young backs or the O-Line?

b bulldog
10-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Short and sweet, it is both.

RashanGary
10-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Last year they ran primarily Jag's "Denver inspired" zone scheme. This year they changed from that zone to a zone that does not include backside cuts and who knows what other changes. KY has some ideas as to what exactly they are doing and how it differs from last year. In short, they are not running the same zone.

On top of that, they run about half power gap. They do a little of everything and none of it well. They have no identity at all. My opinion is that it has something to do with bouncing around between schemes so much that they havn't had a chance ot get good at anything.

It's been said that they lineman are not prototypical run blockers.

Then throw in below average running backs and you have 65 yds per game.

I don't know what will happen from here forward. The coaching staff bouncing between schemes tells me that they might not know exactly what they want to do. Nobody on the staff has ever been "the guy" to install a run game. Maybe it won't come together at all. Maybe they'll focus in on a few things and get an identity. I don't know. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worste right now.

Kiwon
10-19-2007, 09:23 PM
So is this thing "fixable" during the bye week?

Is there a reasonable expectation that the running game will begin to balance out the passing game during the 2nd half of the season or is it a crap shoot?

What was the reason for switching to a modified ZBS as opposed to what was in place last year?

Green Bud Packer
10-19-2007, 09:30 PM
What was the reason for switching to a modified ZBS as opposed to what was in place last year?

Jags leaving for Boston College.

Joemailman
10-19-2007, 09:35 PM
I think cohesion between the line and the backs is also a problem. Morency did not play at all in the pre-season, Grant was not a Packer in the pre-season, and Wynn only played the last game when the starters played very little. Jackson is the only back who got an appreciable number of carries with the first unit, and he's been out the last 2 games. This situation should improve gradually as the season progresses, especially if MM settles on one back to get most of the carries.

oregonpackfan
10-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Short and sweet, it is both.

Bulldog's KISS description is on the mark!

Lurker64
10-20-2007, 01:21 AM
It's really three things:
1) The backs.
2) The OL.
3) McCarthy is really prone to get pass happy. In several games this year, the Packers were adequate running the ball in the first quarter or so, and then suddenly stopped calling running plays for whatever reason, despite the fact that the ZBS is designed to hammer 4-5 yard running plays early on in the game, and then break the long ones later in the game.

It's sort of a perfect storm.

Bretsky
10-20-2007, 07:45 AM
It's honestly not that hard

The OL, while expected to improve, have digressed in the running game
They Stink

The RB's....we had hoped one would develop into being starter capable
They Stink

The scheme is probably a good scheme for our weak young OL and a bad scheme for our NFL veterans in Taucher and Clifton
It stinks too

All is all with this roster MM up to this point has accepted the fact that our running game stinks and game planned around it. Record wise it's worked so far.

woodbuck27
10-20-2007, 08:10 AM
It's honestly not that hard

The OL, while expected to improve, have digressed in the running game
They Stink

The RB's....we had hoped one would develop into being starter capable
They Stink

The scheme is probably a good scheme for our weak young OL and a bad scheme for our NFL veterans in Taucher and Clifton
It stinks too

All is all with this roster MM up to this point has accepted the fact that our running game stinks and game planned around it. Record wise it's worked so far.

Yup.

Simply very very stinky. The OL has to be overhauled ( we are talent challenged ) and MM has to seriously reconside the ZBS for a traditional Bull blocking scheme.

As long as the OL is as we see it few RBs will get it done.

If we had a Barry Sanders style of RB we would be OK but those guys come along rarely.

Fix the OL first then find that quality every down RB. That will not be on a short order list.

This season we will show up better than many here believed only if Favre remains calm and charged to an efficient degree.

Patience is a key.

Both MM and Favre have a tendency to want to win too much. The offensive scheme cannot place too much emphasis on the pass and ignore the running game to protect our defense.

We have to go with what we have. I believe in Wynn for his power. Morency has to be used delicately. I see him as a paper doll or fragile.

We only go as far as our running game will take us so be grateful for our success to date.

5-1 can be 6-1 as Denver looks weak now.

6-1 can be 7-1 but we have to be careful Vs KC.

With no running game this is all very strange. The NFL may in fact be a passing league.

I am watching San Diego now for a surge as that team looks traditional.

LT the main man again.

PACKERS FOREVER !