PDA

View Full Version : 2008 wish list

RashanGary
10-20-2007, 07:16 PM
This guy looks like he could be an impact pass rusher for the next 8-10 years. He's supposed to go in the 25 range, but with his explosion off the ball, I wouldn't be suprised if he goes earlier.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dZpKbrZfc8U&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0UYJlkAdU (at the :45 mark)

KGB is still playing at a high level. You can't help but think his days are numbered though. This guy would insure that 3rd and long is hell for opposing teams for the next 8 years like KGB did for the last 8 years.

I want a CB, but if not a CB, an impact DE would work out nicely.

BF4MVP
10-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Felix Jones...Darren McFadden's backup..On any other team, he'd be a Heisman candidate..

82 carries, 775 yards, 9.5 average, 7 touchdowns..

STUD

RashanGary
10-20-2007, 07:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S_LKUYxnkaI

Dwight Lowry #25

INTERCEPTION MACHINE!! Reminds me a little of Chuck Woodson, just how slow things seem to move for him out there. Most guys the ball is by them before they know it. This guy is all over the ball before the QB knows it.

RashanGary
10-20-2007, 07:42 PM
The corner, in particular, seems to fit Ted's MO. He looks for the guys who have a knack for making plays, be it small school or big school. He seems to get more small school guys because many GM's are scared to take that dive in the early rounds.

Wouldn't that be a great comfort to have at least one guy that we can count on behind Chuck and Al?

RashanGary
10-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Look at this guy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLD6KHwq8cM&mode=related&search=

BF4MVP
10-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't that be a great comfort to have at least one guy that we can count on behind Chuck and Al?
Good point..Jarrett Bush isn't an NFL caliber corner..I still think a runningback is a more pressing need

b bulldog
10-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Justin King, DB from PSU or Felix Jones would be good first rounders in08.

Joemailman
10-20-2007, 08:49 PM
A cornerback who can return punts would be a welcome addition. Don't think we can go into another season counting on Will Blackmon.

RashanGary
10-20-2007, 09:33 PM
CB, DE, RB

It would be great if it's one of those.

bulldog, what do you think of Mike Hart. Is he tough enough to play in the NFL? Who would you compare him to?

RashanGary
10-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Justin King, DB from PSU or Felix Jones would be good first rounders in08.

I havn't seen Justin King play. He doesn't get a lot of picks, but if he's an Al Harris type player then that is OK. If teams just avoid him, that is OK too.

I watched some Felix Jones clips. He runs a little upright and seems to really avoid contact. He seems to have game breaking speed and good size.

ahaha
10-20-2007, 09:39 PM
From where we'll probably be picking, the top guard prospect might be the way to go.

RashanGary
10-20-2007, 09:41 PM
From where we'll probably be picking, the top guard prospect might be the way to go.

Yeah, from where we are picking, you just have to take the best player that drops. There might be a premium guy that slips through because of teams need drafting. It's all about takign the best guy.

This is a wish list though :)

b bulldog
10-21-2007, 07:23 AM
imo, hART IS AN EXCELLANT COLLEGE BACK WHO will never be a anything more than a guy in the NFL. He is small, not real fast and seems to have a knack for getting hurt. He does have out of this world leadership abilities and his heart is huge, he also blocks extremely well and has great hands and is tough. I wouldn't touch him till late second at best.

Bretsky
10-21-2007, 07:43 AM
RUNNING BACK

retailguy
10-21-2007, 08:32 AM
How about a decent developmental TE?

Bretsky
10-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Sure, we can use that too; but Donald Lee is showing some potential.

But a legit RB would give the rushing game a shot

Patler
10-21-2007, 08:40 AM

That must be a more difficult position to fill than it would seem. The Packers have had quite a number of developmental TEs over the last 10 years or so, and the successes are few and far between.

That said, both MM and TT have mentioned several times that the early loss of Tory Humphrey to a broken leg was a very big disappointment. They seem to be kind of high on him. Maybe they already have their guy?

BEARMAN
10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
RUNNING BACK

I feel your pain, well, I'm trying anyway.... :P

GBRulz
10-21-2007, 08:59 AM
RUNNING BACK

:bclap:

BallHawk
10-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Linebacker.

Bretsky
10-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Linebacker.

I've never been a big fan of Poppinga either; but if things don't turn around in the running game I hope we attack that head on

KYPack
10-21-2007, 10:35 AM
1. RB - an impact guy can do the greatest good for the offense and the team.
2. LB Pop's got to make a major rebound to keep that gig. His inadequacies really drag our D down.
3. TE Lee is starting to show, but how unstoppable would our passing game be with a great TE?
4. CB. The two ancient wonders can't go on forever. This would be the best team in the league to break in a young cb.

I refuse to speculate on the identities of the players that could fill these spots. Being an early draftnik seems crazy to me, but I know some of you love it.

RashanGary
10-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I refuse to speculate on the identities of the players that could fill these spots. Being an early draftnik seems crazy to me, but I know some of you love it.

Elitist snob ;)

RashanGary
10-21-2007, 11:13 AM
We could really use anything except DT.

Good starting RB
Top notch OG
Pass rushing DE to replenish what we are going to lose when KGB drops off
CB to replace Chuck and Al some day soon
S *A stud in place of Collins wouldn't hurt*
WR *A stud WR never hurts*
OT *Cliff and Tausch aren't going to play forever*
LB *Poopinga didn't make the jump I hoped he'd make*
FB *Hall has played OK, but I wouldn't complain about a stud with a mid round pick*
QB *Favre is close to the end and Rodgers is not proven. It wouldn't kill us ot have competition*

Other than DT, Thompson can really take the BPA and improve this team. There are some needs that are more pressing than others, but ulitmately any difference maker would make a bigger difference.

I'd rather have a great WR than an OK running back.
I'd rather have a stud QB than a decent starting LB that can cover TE's

You always hope to take a stud at a position of need, but you can't predict what is available when you pick. This is a wishlist, but what will probably happen is we'll take the best player available and I support that to the n'th degree. Ahamad Carroll is what happens when you take the best player at a position of need. You eliminate all of the drafts talent and focus on a very small talent pool (making the likely hood of screwing up 10X higher.)

DannoMac21
10-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Felix Jones.

retailguy
10-21-2007, 12:36 PM

That must be a more difficult position to fill than it would seem. The Packers have had quite a number of developmental TEs over the last 10 years or so, and the successes are few and far between.

That said, both MM and TT have mentioned several times that the early loss of Tory Humphrey to a broken leg was a very big disappointment. They seem to be kind of high on him. Maybe they already have their guy?

I guess, just don't understand why it is so difficult. We've had our share come and go in the past few years that's for sure. I'm sure it was a bummer that humphrey broke his leg, and maybe he's the guy, but to this point, no.

I just think our talent is better at RB than at TE, Bubba's getting older, and Lee is just a guy. I don't think our RB's are world beater talent, but they'll do behind a good line.

It's been said earlier but we also need a good guard.

son of a vic
10-21-2007, 06:10 PM
If we could only find a GM with the foresight to move up and draft a franchise saving punter in the third round.

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 08:07 AM
DJ Hall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH_idY3JhM0

- Looks like Jones and Jennings as far as how he tracks and catches the ball
- At 6'2", he brings a size dimension that we don't have from our top guys
- Not crazy fast, but he is fast (sort of like Jennings)
- Very productive college career

You hate to draft another WR, but Driver isn't going to be around forever and this guy looks good.

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Players I like so far:

DJ Hall WR (Late 1st)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH_idY3JhM0

Dwight Lowry #25 CB (2nd round)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S_LKUYxnkaI

Quentin Groves DE (Mid/Late 1st)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dZpKbrZfc8U&mode=related&search=

Jonathan Stewart RB (Late 1st)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSKFOfc04Q

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2007, 09:18 AM
We need to solve the running game problems. If this means a stud running back or a couple of ZBS tackles it doesn't make a difference to me. A stud running back -- like Peterson or Lynch -- isn't likely from where the Packers will be drafting. I suspect we'll get a CB with our #1 pick and draft ZBS OLinemen and RB in the middle rounds.

Bretsky
10-27-2007, 09:54 AM
We need to solve the running game problems. If this means a stud running back or a couple of ZBS tackles it doesn't make a difference to me. A stud running back -- like Peterson or Lynch -- isn't likely from where the Packers will be drafting. I suspect we'll get a CB with our #1 pick and draft ZBS OLinemen and RB in the middle rounds.

BINGO; We need to solve the running game. As much at TT tried to build up a dominating defense, he should put equal effort back into the running attack IMO.

That being said, after this year I will not be surprised by anything he does in the draft. If he liked a DL in round one he'll take him. Ditto for WR, TE, OL, S, or anywhere else.

The good part for those of us who want to win it all sooner is if the Juniors come out I think this coming class might be a good class for RB's in round one.

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Jonathan Stewart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSKFOfc04Q

Hard to tackle
Big, strong, fast
Has that no BS running style that works in the NFL

MJZiggy
10-27-2007, 10:37 AM
OPF? What do you think of the kid?

On a side note how oool would it be to have Jon Stewart on our team? :P

Partial
10-27-2007, 05:54 PM

BINGO; We need to solve the running game. As much at TT tried to build up a dominating defense, he should put equal effort back into the running attack IMO.

That being said, after this year I will not be surprised by anything he does in the draft. If he liked a DL in round one he'll take him. Ditto for WR, TE, OL, S, or anywhere else.

The good part for those of us who want to win it all sooner is if the Juniors come out I think this coming class might be a good class for RB's in round one.

Lots of good RBs this year that are juniors. I am sure some will come out and some won't. Problem is it seems very, very top heavy right now. However, after the combine it could be an entirely different story. I don't expect a guy like Slaton to go top 10 simply because of the lack of production from Reggie Bush. To me, he seems like he could be a very good player cut from the mold of the Eagle's Westbrook.

Ray Rice could be a work horse for us. He runs a lot like Adrian Peterson in terms of taking on defenders, but he doesn't have the extra gear.

Haven't seen enough of the others.

OS PA
10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Jon Stewart looks like one of the better all around backs. He really should stay in school until his senior year, because it seems like he'll just get better as he gets smarter.

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 07:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqadSMQm5o&NR=1

Most powerfull tackler I've seen since I've been watching closely the last three years.

oregonpackfan
10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
OPF? What do you think of the kid?

On a side note how oool would it be to have Jon Stewart on our team? :P

MJ,

I like Stewart very much and believe he is definitely NFL material worthy of either late 1st or early 2nd round selection. As mentioned earlier, Stewart is just a junior and may not declare early.

The co-running back I actually think has a better NFL picture is Oregon's Jeremiah Johnson. Johnson catches the ball better than Stewart and runs better in the open field.

Unfortunately, Johnson tore his ACL two games ago and is out for the season. He and Stewart wore teams down with their dynamic, powerful, and elusive running.

Like Stewart, Johnson is a junior. With his season cut short due to injury, Johnson may stay for another year of college.

digitaldean
10-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Order of importance

1.) RB (either FA or one of the top draft picks)
1A). O-Lineman than run the ZBS like 33 year old Matt Lepsis of Denver.
2.) TE that can spread the field
3.) A LB that can cover a TE. Brady Popp is not the answer.

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Backs that play better in space tend to lose their edge in the NFL. The NFL has space, but it closes fast and the moves that used to leave guys in the dust now waste time and get RB's whacked behind the line of scrimmage.

There is another running back that I like, but he's a little more lateral than straight forward, and I question that in the NFL. The hole usually closes before the move pays off, so it ends up being useless.

This guy runs similar to Brandon Jackson. I think this guy has less wasted motion, and while he does bounce laterally, he keeps moving forward and is pretty efficient. Regardless, I'm assuming your ohter back is similar to this guy, and I think he (and anyone like him) will have a hard time getting away with this stuff. Stewart will be able to do exactly what he does on the next level. There are 15 good backs in the league right now who run like Stewart. There are very few who get away with the lateral shit.

Anyway, here is Tashard Choice. Very good college runner. Might be good on the next level, but he's going to have to go more norht and south and once he does that, he's lost his edge and he's just another small NFL back who can't make it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0i5NOVLl_s

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 08:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LqfRdnT0I

Works in college, not in the NFL

Stewart has that NFL style about him. He's no nonsense (all downhill) but when he needs to, he can make one guy miss and take it into the secondary.

Wynn just needs a little more short area burst and he's a good back. I think an off season of hard work and Wynn can be a guy who takes a big step. Jolly, Kampman, Driver, C Williams, ect. . . There are a lot of guys who don't light the league on fire as rookies, but grow into good NFL playres. I think Wynn can be a good NFL running back. I'd be happy if we drafted another one, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with having two, but I"m not sold on Wynn being a bad player. For him to play as well as he has in the shape that he is in acctually speaks to his upside. We'll see how it goes, but I'm not sold that hte Packers won't be able to find a running back from within (most likely wynn) just like I wasn't sold that they were screwed at TE or Safety. Guys improve from rookie to 2nd year to 3rd year. IT's just the way it is. It might just be a short term problem. We'll see.

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 09:06 PM
double post

b bulldog
10-28-2007, 09:07 PM
What Wynn lacks is heart, puRE and simple. He has no heart and that will be his undoing in the NFL.

woodbuck27
10-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Good point..Jarrett Bush isn't an NFL caliber corner..I still think a runningback is a more pressing need

It is looking now like we will pick somewhere later than last April.Say 17-24.

Will there be a solid RB in that slot?

TT will likely pick the best man he feels is on the board and to decide who that is now. .end of Jan-Feb-March and on to Draft day is just plain and simple frustration for me.

TT willl take his guy and not even the Almighty could make a guess who that will be. :)

We still have need at RB, and a top DE or CB is also a need. How about an impact player at Safety?

It will be TT's GUY!!! :)

Packers Forever.

Charles Woodson
10-28-2007, 09:32 PM
what about someone like steve slaton?

Bretsky
10-28-2007, 09:42 PM

solid, very solid pick IMO. Ditto for Ray Rice.

There will be some RB's in round one that can really help this team. Will TT look there for immediate help ? That's a whole nother question.

woodbuck27
10-28-2007, 10:07 PM

There will be some RB's in round one that can really help this team. Will TT look there for immediate help ? That's a whole nother question.

Don't we need a DT? :)

Carolina_Packer
10-28-2007, 10:40 PM

Don't we need a DT? :)

That, or a QB! :P

arcilite
10-28-2007, 11:12 PM
What Wynn lacks is heart, puRE and simple. He has no heart and that will be his undoing in the NFL.

What... have you met him and know this as a fact?

RashanGary
10-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Frequent these forums long enough and you'll find anomalies that you never knewt existed between the bounds of heaven and hell. The concentration of spiritual talent at this site makes John Edward's talking to the dead look like a Parker Brothers ouija board or a bad baptist minsister.

Stick around, you can learn a lot from the packerrat "justices of the human soul". If you ever wondered if the antrichrist existed, one of gods prophits (who frequents thsi forum) has made us aware that the antichrist is none other than one Theodore Thompson.

This is a magical forum. Don't question the enchanment, just marvel in it.