PDA

View Full Version : Tank sighting

Guiness
10-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Didn't know the boys had signed him.

IRVING, Texas -- Suspended defensive tackle Tank Johnson practiced with the Dallas Cowboys for the first time Friday, disappointed commissioner Roger Goodell didn't shorten his eight-game ban but glad to be back on the field.

Advertisement

Johnson was signed by Dallas after getting cut by the Chicago Bears and can't play in a game until Nov. 11 against the New York Giants. He said he'd hoped Goodell would agree to shorten his suspension for violating probation on a gun charge to six games, but will settle for the three weeks of practice he was granted.

"Me and Roger, we're good friends, man," Johnson said after the workout. "We talk a lot. It's actually very nice of him to allow me to practice because as far as the career goes, it's kind of important to get going first before you get out there full speed."

He was far from that Friday. After some stretching exercises, Johnson mostly watched during individual drills for the short time practice was open to the media.

The practices will serve as Johnson's personal training camp because he was unemployed for the real thing. He was already suspended by the NFL when he was pulled over for speeding in June, and the Bears released him. The Cowboys signed him last month.

"We've got a program for him to start getting ready, but we've got to get ready for this ballgame," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said before the final practice leading to Sunday's game against Minnesota.

Johnson started 10 games for Chicago last season and played in the Super Bowl loss to Indianapolis, but his problems started before the playoffs.

Tank Johnson can't keep a smile off his face as he stretches. (AP)
In December, police raided his suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms, a violation of his probation on a charge stemming from a 2005 gun-related arrest.

Two days after the raid, Johnson's bodyguard was shot and killed in an early-morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub. Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge stemming from the raid and spent two months in jail.

The traffic stop came about a month after his release, and he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving. He was never charged, and tests showed he wasn't legally drunk.

"I learned a lot," Johnson said. "The maturation process is such an ongoing process. You learn every day. I had a lot of different things thrown at me."

Now, one of those things is Phillips' 3-4 defense. Although Johnson has never played the 3-4, he said Phillips shares an attacking philosophy with Chicago's Lovie Smith. That means interior defensive linemen are coached to get as far into the backfield as possible on most plays.

"I just want to get a good feel for being on the field," Johnson said. "When you're coming out to get back into the game after not playing since the Super Bowl, you want to knock the rust off, get acclimated to the temperature, to the speed of the game, just get back in a groove."

Johnson said the toughest part of the suspension was the preseason because of "all the buildup to the season." Since signing with the Cowboys, his TiVo has been getting as much of a workout as he has.

"The good thing is I have cable," he said. "It's great to see the guys on TV. But more importantly, I get to study the game. I don't know the call, but I can see what the defense is trying to accomplish."

The Cowboys have their bye next week, which would seem like the perfect chance to get Johnson up to speed. But Phillips said a shorter three-day week actually works against them.

Johnson doesn't seem worried.

"As soon as I get on the field," he said, "I'll be ready."

KYPack
10-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Good move by the Pokes.

Tank ain't great, but he's better than what they have.

They are soft up the middle on the run.

if they can replace their fat little safety who thinks he's a LB, they can have a top flight D.

Joemailman
10-20-2007, 08:41 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought APB was back. Sort of miss him in a strange sort of way.

Rastak
10-20-2007, 08:46 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought APB was back. Sort of miss him in a strange sort of way.

Me too....kinda weird when he go off on the profanity laced tirade then seem somewhat reasonable the next minute.....

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2007, 10:48 PM
I thought the Anti-Polar Bear made an appearance.

Guiness
10-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Ya, but he acted more like a neutered poodle than the Tank we all loved to hate. Had some outbursts, but I don't think his heart was in them.

retailguy
10-21-2007, 12:37 AM

me too... :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
10-21-2007, 06:49 AM
The Bears miss him.

The guy was railroaded for exercising his 2nd amendment rights.

The Bears were foolish to cut him. Everyone is running right at Urlacher this year neutralizing his speed and exposing his lack of size.

GBRulz
10-21-2007, 08:41 AM

Me, too! I saw the topic and I'm like "Why the hell is Guiness posting that in the Packer forum?" :lol:

BEARMAN
10-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Yea, we should have never had gotten rid of Tank or Jones. Now I see why you guys are so mad at your managment for not getting some help for farve ! One player can not carry a whole team. I am glad BG is our QB, his matureity/experience alnone is better then that other guy. What was his name? It is good to have a short memory in the NFL. It is truly a matter of "what have you done for me lately".

GBRulz
10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
It is good to have a short memory in the NFL. It is truly a matter of "what have you done for me lately".

Perhaps it's time to ditch your sigs, then Bearman !!! :wink:

After all, they reflect the PAST!

BEARMAN
10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
It is good to have a short memory in the NFL. It is truly a matter of "what have you done for me lately".

Me thinks not quite yet, but TY for your input is is not needed nor wanted. There is alot of football left in this season... lets see who's smiling at the end, ... hu ? 8-)

Iron Mike
10-30-2007, 12:23 AM

Me thinks not quite yet, but TY for your input is is not needed nor wanted. There is alot of football left in this season... lets see who's smiling at the end, ... hu ? 8-)

Standings. :twisted:

woodbuck27
10-30-2007, 12:35 AM

I miss TANK - otherwise known to us as Anti-Polor Bear. :)

Maybe MAD cannot supply enough bars of soap at PackerratsÉ

woodbuck27
10-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Yea, we should have never had gotten rid of Tank or Jones. Now I see why you guys are so mad at your managment for not getting some help for Favre ! One player can not carry a whole team. I am glad BG is our QB, his matureity/experience alnone is better then that other guy. What was his name? It is good to have a short memory in the NFL. It is truly a matter of "what have you done for me lately".

Your bang on with that post, Bear fan. :)

Such is LIFE.

Scott Campbell
10-30-2007, 07:08 AM
One player can not carry a whole team.

Not a mortal player anyway.

Kornheiser compared him to Tiger and Jordan last night. A little over the top, but interesting nonetheless.

Scott Campbell
10-30-2007, 07:10 AM

Too bad for Bear fans that all they have to remember is 1985.