PDA

View Full Version : Max McGee

ND72
10-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Donno if any of you saw, but Max McGee died today after falling from a roof.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2007, 10:52 PM
That's terrible. He lived here in the Twin Cities.

Freak Out
10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Sad news.....RIP buddy. :cry:

Scott Campbell
10-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Unbelievable. Blowing leaves off his roof at 75 years old.

superfan
10-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Wow. He recently opened a new restaurant in Eden Prairie, MN - the "Original Pancake House". I've been meaning to go but haven't yet. Now I will as a memorial to Max.

Guiness
10-20-2007, 11:45 PM
What a way to go.

Bad news certainly rockets its way through the internet. I checked his Wikepedia entry, and it's already updated to reflect his death.

Jimx29
10-21-2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=267837

oregonpackfan
10-21-2007, 01:21 AM
What a shocking way to go.

Besides his athletic talents, Max was known for his incredible wit and humor. Though he partied hardy with Paul Hornung, Lombardi tolerated the antics of those two playboys because they always came ready to play.

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2007, 01:29 AM
You know, his face sorta looks 75 in this action photo! Maybe its just the bulbous nose after a night out.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/oct07/max21.jpg

Damn, I know he got remarried, had some kids very late in life, I suppose the kids aren't that old. Although the years go dashing by, maybe they are grown-up now.

A wealthy 75-year old up on the roof, cleanig out the gutters.
This is the sort of thing my dad would do.

He was a REAL chracter, a perfect foil to Jim Irwin. Very sad.

the_idle_threat
10-21-2007, 01:44 AM
R.I.P. Max. :(

BF4MVP
10-21-2007, 02:36 AM
R.I.P. :(

CaliforniaCheez
10-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Everybody liked Max. This is just a very saddening event.

Many of us out of state fans remember him during his radio broadcasts.
He was a confident, humorous, guy.

He is remembered well.

]{ilr]3
10-21-2007, 05:38 AM
Wow, what a shocker. :( I wonder if any team will mention him today since the Packers are not playing.

cpk1994
10-21-2007, 06:28 AM
The pregame shows will defintely mention it. Other than that probably nothing.

TravisWilliams23
10-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Really sad to hear of Max's passing. :( He was one of the many special players who made the Packers the dynasty of the 60's. I still can picture his one handed grab of Bart Starr's pass to score the 1st TD in the 1st Super Bowl. The stories of his wit & humor are legendary. He was also a pretty damn good punter in early in his career. R.I.P. Max.

Kiwon
10-21-2007, 07:17 AM
One of a kind.

Bretsky
10-21-2007, 07:42 AM
RIP

Him8123
10-21-2007, 08:13 AM
truley sad news, RIP

Rastak
10-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Very sad indeed. A few years ago my neighbor in his 70's was up on his roof and I just about had a heart attack. I told his son a couple days later and he just said "damn, he thinks he's a kid, I wish he wouldn't do that.

Wasn't he pretty active with the Packers? I seem to recall hearing his name alot, even in recent years.

BallHawk
10-21-2007, 08:23 AM
What a strange way to go.

RIP Max.

GBRulz
10-21-2007, 08:38 AM
This is so sad. Story is from the PG....

Former Packers star McGee dies after falling from roof

Hornung: 'I just lost my best friend'

MINNEAPOLIS — Max McGee, the unexpected hero of the first Super Bowl and a long-time challenge for Hall of Fame coach Vince Lombardi, died Saturday after falling from the roof of his home, police confirmed. He was 75.

Police were called to the former Green Bay receiver’s Deephaven home around 5:20 p.m., Sgt. Chris Whiteside said. Efforts to resuscitate McGee were unsuccessful.

McGee was blowing leaves off the roof when he fell, according to news reports. A phone message left at a number listed for an M. McGee wasn’t immediately returned.

“I just lost my best friend,” former teammate Paul Hornung told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “(His wife) Denise was away from the house. She’d warned him not to get up there. He shouldn’t have been up there. He knew better than that.”

Inserted into Packers’ lineup when Boyd Dowler was sidelined by a shoulder injury, McGee went on to catch the first touchdown pass in Super Bowl history in Green Bay’s 35-10 victory over Kansas City in January 1967. Still hung over from a night on the town, McGee caught seven passes for 138 yards and two TDs.

“Now he’ll be the answer to one of the great trivia questions: Who scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl history?” Hornung said. “Vince knew he could count on him. ... He was a great athlete. He could do anything with his hands.”

Though an admirer of Lombardi, McGee time and again pushed the tough-as-nails coach to the breaking point.

McGee — remembered for saying: “When it’s third-and-10, you can take the milk drinkers and I’ll take the whiskey drinkers every time.” — put Lombardi to the ultimate test prior to the first Super Bowl.

McGee had caught only four passes for 91 yards during the 1966 regular season and, not expecting to play against the Chiefs, violated the team’s curfew and spent the night before the game partying.

Reportedly, the next morning he told Dowler: “I hope you don’t get hurt. I’m not in very good shape.”

Dowler went down with a separated shoulder on the Packers’ second drive, and McGee had to borrow a helmet because he left his in the locker room. A few plays later, McGee made a one-handed reception of a pass from Bart Starr and ran 37 yards to score.

“He had a delightful sense of humor and had a knack for coming up with big plays when you least expected it to happen,” Packers historian Lee Remmel said. “He had a great sense of timing.”

Remmel said McGee once teased Lombardi when the coach showed the team a football on their first meeting and said, “Gentlemen, this is a football.”

“McGee said, ’Not so fast, not so fast,“’ Remmel said. “That gives you an index to the kind of humor that he served up regularly.”

McGee was a running back at Tulane and the nation’s top kick returner in 1953.

Selected by the Packers in the fifth round of the 1954 draft, McGee spent two years in the Air Force as a pilot following his rookie year before returning in 1957 to play 11 more seasons. He finished his career with 345 receptions for 6,346 yards — an 18.4-yard average — and scored 51 touchdowns and 306 points.

After retiring from football, he became a major partner in developing the popular Chi-Chi’s chain of Mexican restaurants. In 1979, he became an announcer for the Packer Radio Network with Jim Irwin until retiring in 1998.

McGee and wife Denise founded the Max McGee National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes at the Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee in 1999.

According to the center’s Web site, his brother fought diabetes in his lifetime, and Max and Denise’s youngest son, Dallas, lives with the disease.

McGee is survived by his wife, four children and several grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements were pending.

Carolina_Packer
10-21-2007, 10:11 AM
The Packer's were obviously struggling in the late 70's, early 80's. My Dad had taken a job that moved us from WI to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, so we couldn't hear the games very easily, and TV would mostly show the Vikings at that point becuase they were the dominant team of the division. My brother and I used to have my Dad pull his old Town and Country wood paneled station wagon into the driveway and we'd play catch and listen to a very staticky WTMJ broadcast and play catch with the football. Sometimes when it got cold, we'd bundle up and sit in the car. We would sometimes do our best Max McGee impressions, and loved hearing him and Jim Irwin call a game. He was like that Grandpa who always told good stories, was sometimes a little off color, but always full of fun. Goodbye Max! You will be missed. Condolenes to your family. I'm sure they are hurting right now.

KYPack
10-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I was hoping that Max's name in the header of ND's thread didn't mean "The Taxi" was gone. But he is, falling off a roof at 75? Sad, but does seem like a Max way to go.

Max was a special guy on that team and also lived for years for the Pack.

Lombardi liked two kinds of players. Vets you could count on in big games and players who kept the team happy and loose. In Hornung and McGee he had both. They kept the guys laughing and when the money was on the line, both guys could deliver every time.

Max was one hellacious athlete and had good moves and great hands.

He is gone now, but Max and Paul's reputation as major league party artists is well earned. Those two cut a rut from coast to coast and showed a whole ton of class while they did it.

Max made millions in business after he retired, but he didn't need the money. Because he made a million friends.

Say hi to Vince up there, pal, if they don't make you go to the temporary place first.

To make you work off them broken curfews.

Rest in Peace if ya want, I know you never liked to sleep.

MadtownPacker
10-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I dont know much about the the old school player but I do know this guy was a legend. R.I.P. man.

Patler
10-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I wonder if there is any tape anywhere of his one-handed TD catch in the Super Bowl?

For those who have not seen it, as best I can remember, the pass was behind him as he was sprinting away from a defender, sort of waist high or so. He hardly broke stride, reached back with one arm and caught the ball almost like you would carry it, one end in his hand, the other in his elbow. He just kept running in a sort of nonchalant manner, like it was no big deal.

I remember looking at my brother, not believing he really caught it like that.

mngolf19
10-21-2007, 10:56 AM
I wonder if there is any tape anywhere of his one-handed TD catch in the Super Bowl?

For those who have not seen it, as best I can remember, the pass was behind him as he was sprinting away from a defender, sort of waist high or so. He hardly broke stride, reached back with one arm and caught the ball almost like you would carry it, one end in his hand, the other in his elbow. He just kept running in a sort of nonchalant manner, like it was no big deal.

They showed that tape on ESPN this morning. I had never seen it before. I listen to WTMJ quite a bit so I hear Max on interviews and commercials. Seemed like a very nice man. RIP

Patler
10-21-2007, 11:07 AM

They showed that tape on ESPN this morning. I had never seen it before. I listen to WTMJ quite a bit so I hear Max on interviews and commercials. Seemed like a very nice man. RIP

The most impressive thing about the catch was not that he caught it, but how effortless he made it look.

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
I dont know much about the the old school player but I do know this guy was a legend. R.I.P. man.

Jim & Max weren't on shortwave radio? damn, they should have been.

cpk1994
10-21-2007, 12:05 PM
NIce to see that the Packers have mentioned his passing on their "official" website. Oh wait they haven't :shock:

retailguy
10-21-2007, 01:14 PM
You just never know when it's your turn. very sad. hire someone to clean off the leaves or cut down the damn tree... sheesh.

motife
10-21-2007, 03:01 PM
someone told me this is Max McGee's house in Deephaven, MN, but I couldn't veryify it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Deephaven,+MN&ie=UTF8&ll=44.929751,-93.53969&spn=0.00221,0.005847&t=h&z=18&om=1

Guiness
10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
The most impressive thing about the catch was not that he caught it, but how effortless he made it look.

He has been quoted as saying he was reaching back to break up a possible INT, and the ball just sort of stuck to his hand.

The Shadow
10-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Always enjoyed Max. If you recall, he was hired to fill the role that Dandy Don Meredith had on Monday Night Football. His candor was refreshing.
I always wished the radio station had paired him with a better play-by-play man than Jim Irwin, who was easily the most brutal announcer I've ever heard.

BF4MVP
10-21-2007, 05:20 PM
I was hoping that Max's name in the header of ND's thread didn't mean "The Taxi" was gone. But he is, falling off a roof at 75? Sad, but does seem like a Max way to go.

Max was a special guy on that team and also lived for years for the Pack.

Lombardi liked two kinds of players. Vets you could count on in big games and players who kept the team happy and loose. In Hornung and McGee he had both. They kept the guys laughing and when the money was on the line, both guys could deliver every time.

Max was one hellacious athlete and had good moves and great hands.

He is gone now, but Max and Paul's reputation as major league party artists is well earned. Those two cut a rut from coast to coast and showed a whole ton of class while they did it.

Max made millions in business after he retired, but he didn't need the money. Because he made a million friends.

Say hi to Vince up there, pal, if they don't make you go to the temporary place first.

To make you work off them broken curfews.

Rest in Peace if ya want, I know you never liked to sleep.
Very well said..Especially the last line

Maxie the Taxi
10-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Needless to say, Max McGee was my favorite Packer of all time. I was crushed when I heard he died. Guys like Max aren’t supposed to die. They’re too full of life to die.

Max was the definition of “old school,” as the JS Online article I quote at the end of this post relates.

My fondest memory of Max was as a punter who sometimes didn’t punt. One summer day I was laying on the living room floor watching the game on TV with my cousins. I think it was the College All Star game, the one the Packers lost. I could be wrong. As I remember it, the Packers desperately needed a first down late in the first half but failed to convert. Max went back to punt. My cousin was angry. “Don’t punt it, Lombardi!” He yelled at the TV. I rolled over calmly and said: “Don’t worry, Tommy, Max isn’t going to punt it.”

Sure enough. McGee took the snap, took a step and made like he was going to drop the ball, then hopped to his right, thought for a split second and took off. He made the first down.

McGee was the type of football player a young guy like me could look up to. Yeah, he could crack jokes and make mischief at night, but when the chips were down and you needed a play, you knew Max would be there and you knew he’d come through.

I especially like Max’s quote at the end of the article about modern showboating and how he despised it. So typical of Max and his generation. If you don’t understand why he despised it, then you don’t understand “old school,” and you’ll never understand why old school guys who have money like 75 year old Max McGee (and my 83 year old father) crawl around on ladders blowing leaves out of their own rain gutters.

With old school guys like Max (and my father), it isn’t about the money. It never was.

Rest in peace, Maxie the Taxi.

McGee brought plenty to the Packer partyBy ROB REISCHEL
SPECIAL TO PACKER PLUS
Posted: Oct. 17, 2002

On the field, he produced one highlight after another. Off the field, he might have assembled even more.

Whether he was playing for the Green Bay Packers or broadcasting their games, Max McGee was arguably as colorful as anyone who ever passed through the organization.

A standout wide receiver during the team's Glory Years, McGee built a reputation for having as much, or more fun away from the field as he did on it.

"Yeah, I think that's safe to say," the 70-year-old McGee said from his Edina, Minn., office last week. "I was fortunate to spend my whole time in Green Bay because we had a hell of a time. Today, it's just a money game, but back then we had loyalties."

McGee has never lost the loyalties he speaks of. His 13-year-old son, Dallas, has diabetes and McGee promised him he'd do everything he could to help find a cure.

So today McGee works with the National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, trying to raise money to someday find a cure.

"We have diabetes in my family and I feel sort of guilty about Dallas," said McGee, who also remains active in the restaurant business. "I want to do anything I can to help. And I will."

McGee certainly did everything he could to help the Packers win Super Bowl I. And no one was more surprised by it than he was.

McGee had been a Packer standout for years after coming to Green Bay in the fifth round from Tulane in 1954. He was called into the Air Force during the Korean War in 1955-'56, then returned to Green Bay in 1957. McGee led the team in receptions in 1958 and from 1960-'62. He was a starting wide receiver through 1964, as the Packers dominated the rest of the NFL.
By the time Super Bowl I rolled around, though, on Jan. 15, 1967, McGee was a little-used reserve who had caught just four passes all season. But when Boyd Dowler was injured on Green Bay's first series, it was McGee to the rescue.

Over the remainder of the afternoon, McGee produced one of the greatest games in Super Bowl history, catching seven passes for 138 yards and two touchdowns as Green Bay bested Kansas City, 35-10.

"After I had scored those two touchdowns, (Paul) Hornung came over to me and said, 'You're going to be the MVP,' " McGee said. "Well I wasn't, but it was a heck of a game."

And a heck of an evening before the game.

Because McGee believed he had virtually no shot playing in the game, he says he risked the $15,000 fine and sneaked out the night before to meet up with two stewardesses he had met earlier that day. McGee claims he was out all night and went into Super Bowl I on virtually no sleep.

Dave "Hawg" Hanner, who was in charge of bed checks, recently claimed McGee was full of hot air and his story of dodging curfew was sheer fiction. McGee, though, says otherwise.

"Hawg's one of my favorite buddies, but he's trying to cover his ass on this one," McGee said. "I was rooming with Hornung and Hornung didn't want to risk going out because the fine was the same as our game check was going to be.

"But when Hawg stuck his head in, I said, 'Are you going to be checking late?' He screamed, 'You damned right I am,' then he stuck his head back in and shook it no. Well, I almost ran him over trying to get out."

McGee was notorious for such antics. He and Hornung both loved the night life, and often seemed to divvy up as much in fines as they brought home.
While McGee would often drive coach Vince Lombardi nuts, there was a mutual respect between the two.

"Not to pat myself on the back, but he was very confident when I was playing that I could give him some big plays," McGee said.

One such play that proved how much McGee could push the envelope came in the 1960 NFL Championship Game in Philadelphia.

McGee, who also punted, loved to fake a punt and take off running under former coaches Lisle Blackbourn and Scooter McClean. But when Lombardi arrived, he told McGee that wouldn't be tolerated unless the instruction came from him.

With Green Bay needing a spark in the fourth quarter, McGee took off running on a fake punt from his own goal line and picked up 40 yards.
McGee later capped the drive with a 7-yard TD reception from Bart Starr for a 13-10 Green Bay lead. Although the Eagles rallied back for a 17-13 victory, McGee's run remains legendary.

"If I hadn't made it, I would have never played another down in Green Bay," McGee said. "I know that much."

Little did McGee know then that he'd still be with the Packers nearly 40 years later.

When McGee's playing days ended following the 1967 season, he did some television and radio broadcasting and was broadcasting Penn State football with Ray Scott in 1980.

Jim Irwin and Lionel Aldridge were calling Packer games for WTMJ radio at the time, but when Aldridge became ill, McGee got the call.

"They told me the game was in L.A.," McGee said. "And I said, 'I'll be there. Maybe I can find those stewardesses again.' Had it been in St. Louis or something, I would have probably said no."

Many Packer fans feel fortunate he didn't. Over the next 19 years, McGee and Irwin developed a cult following through the state that many were sad to see end when the two retired following the 1998 season.

"I never claimed to be an announcer," McGee said. "What it did was give me a platform to tell people the truth and what was really going on.

"We saw a lot of bad football early on and I'd tell people when a guy made a dumb-ass play. And I'd tell jokes and be funny and Jim was kind of a homer who people liked. I think it worked perfectly."

Just like his Packer career.

"I'm glad I got to play when I did," McGee said. "I don't even like football anymore because every time a guy gets a hand in on a tackle, he's doing a back-flip or pounding his chest.

"I played at a great time with some great guys. And even though the money wasn't close to what it's like today, we had a great time."

From http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=88220

KYPack
10-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Hang in there Maxie the Taxi.

Both of ya.

Rastak
10-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Needless to say, Max McGee was my favorite Packer of all time. I was crushed when I heard he died. Guys like Max aren’t supposed to die. They’re too full of life to die.

Max was the definition of “old school,” as the JS Online article I quote at the end of this post relates.

My fondest memory of Max was as a punter who sometimes didn’t punt. One summer day I was laying on the living room floor watching the game on TV with my cousins. I think it was the College All Star game, the one the Packers lost. I could be wrong. As I remember it, the Packers desperately needed a first down late in the first half but failed to convert. Max went back to punt. My cousin was angry. “Don’t punt it, Lombardi!” He yelled at the TV. I rolled over calmly and said: “Don’t worry, Tommy, Max isn’t going to punt it.”

Sure enough. McGee took the snap, took a step and made like he was going to drop the ball, then hopped to his right, thought for a split second and took off. He made the first down.

McGee was the type of football player a young guy like me could look up to. Yeah, he could crack jokes and make mischief at night, but when the chips were down and you needed a play, you knew Max would be there and you knew he’d come through.

I especially like Max’s quote at the end of the article about modern showboating and how he despised it. So typical of Max and his generation. If you don’t understand why he despised it, then you don’t understand “old school,” and you’ll never understand why old school guys who have money like 75 year old Max McGee (and my 83 year old father) crawl around on ladders blowing leaves out of their own rain gutters.

With old school guys like Max (and my father), it isn’t about the money. It never was.

Rest in peace, Maxie the Taxi.

McGee brought plenty to the Packer partyBy ROB REISCHEL
SPECIAL TO PACKER PLUS
Posted: Oct. 17, 2002

On the field, he produced one highlight after another. Off the field, he might have assembled even more.

Whether he was playing for the Green Bay Packers or broadcasting their games, Max McGee was arguably as colorful as anyone who ever passed through the organization.

A standout wide receiver during the team's Glory Years, McGee built a reputation for having as much, or more fun away from the field as he did on it.

"Yeah, I think that's safe to say," the 70-year-old McGee said from his Edina, Minn., office last week. "I was fortunate to spend my whole time in Green Bay because we had a hell of a time. Today, it's just a money game, but back then we had loyalties."

McGee has never lost the loyalties he speaks of. His 13-year-old son, Dallas, has diabetes and McGee promised him he'd do everything he could to help find a cure.

So today McGee works with the National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, trying to raise money to someday find a cure.

"We have diabetes in my family and I feel sort of guilty about Dallas," said McGee, who also remains active in the restaurant business. "I want to do anything I can to help. And I will."

McGee certainly did everything he could to help the Packers win Super Bowl I. And no one was more surprised by it than he was.

McGee had been a Packer standout for years after coming to Green Bay in the fifth round from Tulane in 1954. He was called into the Air Force during the Korean War in 1955-'56, then returned to Green Bay in 1957. McGee led the team in receptions in 1958 and from 1960-'62. He was a starting wide receiver through 1964, as the Packers dominated the rest of the NFL.
By the time Super Bowl I rolled around, though, on Jan. 15, 1967, McGee was a little-used reserve who had caught just four passes all season. But when Boyd Dowler was injured on Green Bay's first series, it was McGee to the rescue.

Over the remainder of the afternoon, McGee produced one of the greatest games in Super Bowl history, catching seven passes for 138 yards and two touchdowns as Green Bay bested Kansas City, 35-10.

"After I had scored those two touchdowns, (Paul) Hornung came over to me and said, 'You're going to be the MVP,' " McGee said. "Well I wasn't, but it was a heck of a game."

And a heck of an evening before the game.

Because McGee believed he had virtually no shot playing in the game, he says he risked the $15,000 fine and sneaked out the night before to meet up with two stewardesses he had met earlier that day. McGee claims he was out all night and went into Super Bowl I on virtually no sleep.

Dave "Hawg" Hanner, who was in charge of bed checks, recently claimed McGee was full of hot air and his story of dodging curfew was sheer fiction. McGee, though, says otherwise.

"Hawg's one of my favorite buddies, but he's trying to cover his ass on this one," McGee said. "I was rooming with Hornung and Hornung didn't want to risk going out because the fine was the same as our game check was going to be.

"But when Hawg stuck his head in, I said, 'Are you going to be checking late?' He screamed, 'You damned right I am,' then he stuck his head back in and shook it no. Well, I almost ran him over trying to get out."

McGee was notorious for such antics. He and Hornung both loved the night life, and often seemed to divvy up as much in fines as they brought home.
While McGee would often drive coach Vince Lombardi nuts, there was a mutual respect between the two.

"Not to pat myself on the back, but he was very confident when I was playing that I could give him some big plays," McGee said.

One such play that proved how much McGee could push the envelope came in the 1960 NFL Championship Game in Philadelphia.

McGee, who also punted, loved to fake a punt and take off running under former coaches Lisle Blackbourn and Scooter McClean. But when Lombardi arrived, he told McGee that wouldn't be tolerated unless the instruction came from him.

With Green Bay needing a spark in the fourth quarter, McGee took off running on a fake punt from his own goal line and picked up 40 yards.
McGee later capped the drive with a 7-yard TD reception from Bart Starr for a 13-10 Green Bay lead. Although the Eagles rallied back for a 17-13 victory, McGee's run remains legendary.

"If I hadn't made it, I would have never played another down in Green Bay," McGee said. "I know that much."

Little did McGee know then that he'd still be with the Packers nearly 40 years later.

When McGee's playing days ended following the 1967 season, he did some television and radio broadcasting and was broadcasting Penn State football with Ray Scott in 1980.

Jim Irwin and Lionel Aldridge were calling Packer games for WTMJ radio at the time, but when Aldridge became ill, McGee got the call.

"They told me the game was in L.A.," McGee said. "And I said, 'I'll be there. Maybe I can find those stewardesses again.' Had it been in St. Louis or something, I would have probably said no."

Many Packer fans feel fortunate he didn't. Over the next 19 years, McGee and Irwin developed a cult following through the state that many were sad to see end when the two retired following the 1998 season.

"I never claimed to be an announcer," McGee said. "What it did was give me a platform to tell people the truth and what was really going on.

"We saw a lot of bad football early on and I'd tell people when a guy made a dumb-ass play. And I'd tell jokes and be funny and Jim was kind of a homer who people liked. I think it worked perfectly."

Just like his Packer career.

"I'm glad I got to play when I did," McGee said. "I don't even like football anymore because every time a guy gets a hand in on a tackle, he's doing a back-flip or pounding his chest.

"I played at a great time with some great guys. And even though the money wasn't close to what it's like today, we had a great time."

From http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=88220

Many here seem to like that crap......

retailguy
10-21-2007, 07:38 PM

Well, I agree with what you say, I had grandparents like Max, but, today, what do you think Max would say if you gave him a chance for a "do over"? My guess is ABC123 rain gutter cleaning would have a "lifetime" contract from old Max.

It isn't all bad that our generation doesn't think EXACTLY like Max's. I've got no idea how my time to check out will occur, but I know, I won't fall off the roof, or injure myself doing yard work.... I'll happily pay for that, and am sure, I'm not as wealthy as Max is/was.

Maxie the Taxi
10-21-2007, 08:06 PM

Well, I agree with what you say, I had grandparents like Max, but, today, what do you think Max would say if you gave him a chance for a "do over"? My guess is ABC123 rain gutter cleaning would have a "lifetime" contract from old Max.

It isn't all bad that our generation doesn't think EXACTLY like Max's. I've got no idea how my time to check out will occur, but I know, I won't fall off the roof, or injure myself doing yard work.... I'll happily pay for that, and am sure, I'm not as wealthy as Max is/was.

I hear ya. I solved the yard work problem by moving into a Florida condo. :)

On the other hand, I'm almost Max's generation and I think the country and the world would be in much better shape if my generation had thought exactly like Max and your grandparents. I'm not talking do-it-yourselfing. I'm talking the intangibles...independence, responsibility, loyalty, simplicity, honesty, humility, etc., etc., etc.

MJZiggy
10-21-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm talking the intangibles...independence, responsibility, loyalty, simplicity, honesty, humility, etc., etc., etc.

Stubborn, stupid pride...etc., etc., etc.,

Rastak
10-21-2007, 08:11 PM

On the other hand, I'm almost Max's generation and I think the country and the world would be in much better shape if my generation had thought exactly like Max and your grandparents. I'm not talking do-it-yourselfing. I'm talking the intangibles...independence, responsibility, loyalty, simplicity, honesty, humility, etc., etc., etc.

Yea, as I mentioned earlier in this very thread....I can see a guy doing what he always did......my neighbor is a wonderful guy, but he's an old dude and should NOT be strolling around the roof. Shit, I'd do it for him if he asked.....but as others have said, a guy wants to do his own thing and is proud of it.

Patler
10-21-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm talking the intangibles...independence, responsibility, loyalty, simplicity, honesty, humility, etc., etc., etc.

So at what age should old people be put on the shelf so they don't hurt themselves?

Young people fall off roofs, too. It happens to experienced roofers, not just old guys.

What he did is no different than the younger person who drives too fast, has unprotected sex with random partners, sky dives, mountain climbs, rock climbs or engages in other behavior that has an element of risk and is not an activity that HAS to be done. People at all ages take risks they don't have to take. Occasionally, someone pays for it. Often it is a young person.

I say let them do what they want to do and feel they can do. My dad cut his own firewood with a gas chainsaw until he was almost 90. I didn't like and I worried, but he felt good doing it. He quit on his own when he felt he couldn't.

MJZiggy
10-21-2007, 09:33 PM

So at what age should old people be put on the shelf so they don't hurt themselves?

I say let them do what they want to do and feel they can do. My dad cut his own firewood with a gas chainsaw until he was almost 90. I didn't like and I worried, but he felt good doing it. He quit on his own when he felt he couldn't.

You answered your own question. My dad, sadly should not be cutting his own wood (thankfully he doesn't have to) or shoveling his own walk (after a few heart attacks) or driving (since the Alzheimers diagnosis or at least since the resulting degeneration). At 85, he and my mom had the option of moving into an assisted living apartment where they would have had someone checking on them, kept their independence and had one of those senior buses that could have taken them places, but no. They live in a city with none of their litter of kids near enough to take care of them and are either going to kill themselves shoveling or kill someone else with that damned car! [/rant]

retailguy
10-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Gosh, I really agree with this, but I have found that you really don't get one without the other very often.

It is a "state of mind". Max was on the roof, because he was ALWAYS on the roof, why change now? Denial, partially. I can do it. I'm not getting old, it'll be ok. I don't want to look old, feel old. I never paid for that type of service in my life and I'm not going to start now...

Sad. Just sad. but the other things you mentioned? Great values, I strive for them every day. Not sure i always achieve them, probably not to the level of Max's generation, but hey I'm trying.

retailguy
10-21-2007, 10:18 PM

You answered your own question. My dad, sadly should not be cutting his own wood (thankfully he doesn't have to) or shoveling his own walk (after a few heart attacks) or driving (since the Alzheimers diagnosis or at least since the resulting degeneration). At 85, he and my mom had the option of moving into an assisted living apartment where they would have had someone checking on them, kept their independence and had one of those senior buses that could have taken them places, but no. They live in a city with none of their litter of kids near enough to take care of them and are either going to kill themselves shoveling or kill someone else with that damned car! [/rant]

I don't think it's an "age" thing. it seems to me to be a "state of mind". You either display it or you don't. Patler, obviously your dad had the knowledge to know when to quit and that he couldn't do it forever. Maybe Max just "tripped", but maybe he was "too old" and refused to admit it.

My dad had a heart attack and didn't go to the hospital for about 3 days. Kept insisting it was indegestion. Damn near killed him. He KNEW better but refused to admit it. There is a difference and I live watching it every day.

Patler
10-21-2007, 10:48 PM

I don't think it's an "age" thing. it seems to me to be a "state of mind". You either display it or you don't. Patler, obviously your dad had the knowledge to know when to quit and that he couldn't do it forever. Maybe Max just "tripped", but maybe he was "too old" and refused to admit it.

My dad had a heart attack and didn't go to the hospital for about 3 days. Kept insisting it was indegestion. Damn near killed him. He KNEW better but refused to admit it. There is a difference and I live watching it every day.

Yes, but don't young guys also take risk they don't have to?

Maybe he was too old to be on his roof, maybe not. Maybe he was more capable of doing it than some of his 40 or 50 year old neighbors.

mraynrand
10-22-2007, 07:47 AM
What he did is no different than the younger person who drives too fast, has unprotected sex with random partners, sky dives, mountain climbs, rock climbs or engages in other behavior that has an element of risk and is not an activity that HAS to be done

Can't say I really agree with this. Working on the roof is not really the same as unprotected sex with random partners, but I see where you're going.

Max had a 'Crankshaft' moment, but instead of bringing in the fire department to put out a fire, they're carting him away. Guy probably shouldn't be up on the roof, but so what? What's a better way to die - falling off a roof doing your own thing, or stringing out your last brain cells in a nursing home? If I could choose, I'd take falling off the roof. Or getting caught in the gears of a combine - that's the way to die. Godspeed, Max.

motife
10-22-2007, 07:19 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1001791511335237000&q=Super+Bowl+I+1967&total=8&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

This shows Max's 2 TD's in Super Bowl I.

Harlan Huckleby
10-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Max McGee was a good football player, not sure about great.

I've heard a lot of people retell Max McGee jokes the last few days, and they don't sound funny. That's because Max isn't telling them. The most brilliant thing about Max McGee was his wit and speaking delivery. He was deadpan, but also colorful. He reminds me a little of WC Fields. Or dry British humor.

When Larry & Wayne had to replace Jim & Max, it was a real letdown. (Although those two have gotten much better over the years.) I think that Max McGee was the most entertaining color commentator ever.

Guiness
10-22-2007, 11:28 PM
You brought up a salient point MZiggy - danger to others.

My grandfather got Alzheimers and Dementia, and like all who do, had good moments and bad. Knocked over some garbage cans with his car, and set some tea towels on fire in the middle of the night trying to cook. Thing was, he almost started a fire which could've hurt my grandmother, and those cans could've easily been kids on bicycles.

We talked to his doctor about lifting his license, but he was extremely lucid the day he went to see her, then went to the DMV and passed the written with flying colours! He was mad as hell, blamed us all for conspiring against him, etc, etc. My grandmother lived in fear, he had a temper at the best of times, and Alheimer/Dementia suffers can get very angry and violent. Can't remember exactly how it got sorted out, but we did have to comit him to a nursing home.

Compare that with a friend's grandfather. Had a couple of heart attacks, a stroke or two (no kidding) and my buddy gets a frantic call from his grandmother to come and stop him from going into the loft to pitch hay down to the cattle!!! He gets there, and his grandmother is holding onto the old coot's boot stopping him from going up the ladder :D :shock: :D
He went up to the loft with him, and they pitched it together - with the grandfather mostly telling him which pile to pull from, and where to put it.

Moral is, my grandfather was going to hurt others: not acceptable. His grandfather was going to punch his own card: not pleasant, but *shrug*
Max punched his own, and I think he's allowed.

oregonpackfan
10-22-2007, 11:52 PM

MJ,

I am sorry to learn your father is suffering from Alzheimers. My jovial, and full of energy, grandfather was afflicted with that disease. He became hostile, and even violent at times--something totally against the way I knew him as a child.

My wife is constantly worrying about her 84 year old mother who lives alone 100 miles away from us. She rationally admits she needs to move out of her house but getting her to actually do it is something else.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Kind of ironic that #85 (Greg Jennings) caught the game-winner for the Packers a day after Max was laid to rest.

oregonpackfan
11-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Kind of ironic that #85 (Greg Jennings) caught the game-winner for the Packers a day after Max was laid to rest.

Max would have been very proud of that, I am sure!

Maxie the Taxi
11-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Sometimes coincidences aren't just coincidences.