PDA

View Full Version : what the vikings need

hoosier
10-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Tavarius Jackson may not be the answer, but he's not the biggest problem in Minnesota either. Firing Childress would be addition by subtraction. I'm so glad they didn't let him get on that plane to GB...

(Jim Souhan, Minneapolis Star Tribune)
IRVING, TEXAS - They filed into the Texas Stadium locker room silently Sunday night, looking more resigned than angry. They spoke in hushed tones, measured their words, bit their tongues and shrugged. The Vikings are getting good at this, and by this, we mean losing. A year ago they earned what seemed a seminal victory in Brad Childress' tenure, whipping the Seahawks in Seattle to improve to 4-2. Since that promising day, the Vikings have played the equivalent of a full regular season and are 4-12, the kind of record that causes most owners to clean house.

"That's very worrisome," cornerback Antoine Winfield said.

What's worse, they are losing the same way this season that they did last season. Check that. The losing is worse this year, because the new regime had a full offseason to fix its obvious problems.

Six games into the season we have to admit that if Adrian Peterson hadn't fallen to them in the draft, the Vikings would be 1-5 at best.

As it is, they're 2-4 on merit, and it's obvious to everyone who isn't in charge that the braintrust is asking too much of second-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who is overmatched, and not enough of Peterson, who is underused.

In the Cowboys' 24-14 victory, the Vikings offense scored on its first drive, then didn't score again. Jackson completed six of 19 passes for 72 yards, with only two to wide receivers.

Peterson, the NFL's leading rusher entering the game, carried four times for 27 yards and a touchdown and caught one pass for 12 yards on the first drive, then touched the ball just eight more times from scrimmage the rest of the game, an embarrassing waste of a singular talent.

The problem with the Vikings is not that they are awful; it's that they're so close to being good -- just one efficient quarterback, one top receiver and one sensible decision-maker away from the eminently accessible NFC playoffs.

Sunday, their defense surrendered only 17 points to the NFC's best offense, and scored a touchdown of its own. The Vikings hassled quarterback Tony Romo, and their offensive line handled the Cowboys' talented defensive front. They averaged 4.9 yards per rush, with Peterson carrying 12 times for 63 yards and a touchdown, and Jackson usually was given time to survey a secondary that allowed 388 passing yards to the Patriots last week.

Jackson produced 312 fewer yards than Tom Brady, and you know what? It's not his fault. The Vikings rushed or overrated a second-year quarterback from Alabama State who, at best, will slowly learn on the job.

Sunday, Jackson and Childress argued vehemently on the sideline. You don't have to know what they said to side with Jackson, an earnest guy who gives you the impression of an intern accidentally locked in the CEO's office.

What's interesting about the construction of this team is that the roster is filled with must-win-now veterans, and yet Childress' demeanor -- more relaxed, friendly, patient this year -- suggests he's working on a 10-year rebuilding plan.

Either he is delusional, or owner Zygi Wilf promised him job security he hasn't earned.

This team is desperate for a No. 1 receiver, yet the pass-catcher they signed this winter was unproven tight end Visanthe Shiancoe. He's scheduled to make $18.2 million over five years but has caught zero passes the past two weeks and nine for the season, meaning that money should have been spent on more pressing needs.

Losing in Dallas is understandable; completing six passes and ignoring Peterson is perplexing.

Childress keeps saying the Vikings need to execute his offense; for the past year, it's been the other way around.

The Leaper
10-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure you can pin the Vikings woes on Childress. I'm sure he deserves some blame...but it isn't like a new coach is suddenly going to turn around a roster that has some gapping holes.

The defense just isn't capable of getting it done...too one-dimensional IMO. They have guys to plug the run, but having those DTs means you won't get any push for a pass rush up the middle either. That means you put a lot of pressure on the DEs in terms of getting after the QB, and that opens up other things for the offense to exploit.

Not having an experienced, above-average QB doesn't help either. Too much youth on the offense to be consistent and reliable. Placing the entire load on AP isn't smart either...he's your future, and you need to build around him. Getting him hurt by using him too much wouldn't help.

3irty1
10-22-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure you can pin the Vikings woes on Childress. I'm sure he deserves some blame...but it isn't like a new coach is suddenly going to turn around a roster that has some gapping holes.

The defense just isn't capable of getting it done...too one-dimensional IMO. They have guys to plug the run, but having those DTs means you won't get any push for a pass rush up the middle either. That means you put a lot of pressure on the DEs in terms of getting after the QB, and that opens up other things for the offense to exploit.

Not having an experienced, above-average QB doesn't help either. Too much youth on the offense to be consistent and reliable. Placing the entire load on AP isn't smart either...he's your future, and you need to build around him. Getting him hurt by using him too much wouldn't help.

I think they are giving him a pretty good work load. Him and Taylor split like 40 rushes a game. It's not like a Cadillac Williams load that is going to break him down in his first season. They aren't going to win a single game unless he gets his carries.

I haven't heard many people talk about a one-dimensional defense. But I'm guessing you mean they have an awesome line and crappy secondary. I agree. Even with the unbelievable tandam of DT's that allow them to play a linebacker deep in the Tampa-2 on any down, their secondary is still a weakness.

Its often speculated that they should just go get an above average quarterback as if its that easy. I think they need to start with their receivers. It doesn't matter who you put under center for the Vikings because hes got nobody to throw the ball to. They need a number 1 and a number 2. I don't think Affirmative Jackson is any good either either but who really knows until they put him in a position to succeed.

The Leaper
10-22-2007, 10:53 AM
I haven't heard many people talk about a one-dimensional defense. But I'm guessing you mean they have an awesome line and crappy secondary. I agree. Even with the unbelievable tandam of DT's that allow them to play a linebacker deep in the Tampa-2 on any down, their secondary is still a weakness.

I like their DTs...but those guys are run-stuffers only. They can't really get after the passer much. That is where our DL is so good...it can be changed around based on the situation to our advantage. The Minnesota DL is built almost exclusively to stop the run. It has very little ability to get after the QB.

Combine that with an aging secondary...and you have a one-dimensional defense. So, when the opposing offense decides to scrap the run and just throw the ball 50+ times, it really hinders the impact your defense can have.

Carolina_Packer
10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
I would point to Rick Spielman some too. Childress and staff coach them, but Spielman and his staff bring in the talent, including Jackson, and including getting FA help at QB, which they didn't adequately address before deciding to throw Jackson to the wolves. Not fair to TJ IMO.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamFrontOfficeProfile_rick_spielman.aspx Look at his resume. He's drafted some decent players in his stops, but one thing kind of stood out to me...each of his stops, he's never really tried to properly address the QB situation. Detroit, Chicago, Miami...QB carousels! Hey, franchise QB's don't fall out of the sky, but name me one of his stops where he made a commitment to a franchise type QB?

mngolf19
10-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I would point to Rick Spielman some too. Childress and staff coach them, but Spielman and his staff bring in the talent, including Jackson, and including getting FA help at QB, which they didn't adequately address before deciding to throw Jackson to the wolves. Not fair to TJ IMO.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamFrontOfficeProfile_rick_spielman.aspx Look at his resume. He's drafted some decent players in his stops, but one thing kind of stood out to me...each of his stops, he's never really tried to properly address the QB situation. Detroit, Chicago, Miami...QB carousels! Hey, franchise QB's don't fall out of the sky, but name me one of his stops where he made a commitment to a franchise type QB?

The thing about this Carolina, is who would they make the commitment to? Johnson wasn't the answer. Garcia was the only FA worth anything and he is old, failed a few times, and was let go by Philly for some reason. They seem to be making a commitment to Jackson right now, so they really need to put all the tools around him and force him to put up or go.

As far as the D goes, they give up some yardage I'll grant you that. But they don't give up many points, stop the run which all good teams must do, and create turnovers. So I have no problems there.

Lurker64
10-22-2007, 01:49 PM
If I were the Vikings, I'd be less concerned about what Shiancoe's lack of production for his 3 and some change million per year salary and more about the wheelbarrow of money that they gave McKinnie who's average at best. The sheer amount of money compared to lack of production they've invested in places that aren't the strength of the team, is kind of astounding.

I can't fault Minnesota for only getting Shiancoe this offseason. It was a very weak FA class by all accounts.

Carolina_Packer
10-22-2007, 02:31 PM

The thing about this Carolina, is who would they make the commitment to? Johnson wasn't the answer. Garcia was the only FA worth anything and he is old, failed a few times, and was let go by Philly for some reason. They seem to be making a commitment to Jackson right now, so they really need to put all the tools around him and force him to put up or go.

As far as the D goes, they give up some yardage I'll grant you that. But they don't give up many points, stop the run which all good teams must do, and create turnovers. So I have no problems there.

A more balanced offense could definitely take some pressure off the defense. Yes, they probably were not long term answers, but Jackson doesn't look to be the short-term answer. It's hard to tell your fans to be patient, we are working out a raw QB. I happen to disagree with this approach, unless he's a first rounder and you are woefully out of it, ala Eli Manning in '04. He took his lumps and got started on his growing process sooner. The main point is, it didn't have to set up this way for the Vikings. They could have brought Jackson along more slowly and said, our best short term answer is (insert player here, be it Garcia, Brad Johnson, or some other veteran). Why didn't they let him learn a little bit longer behind a vet like Johnson? With Johnson at QB this year and AP at RB and that good defense, they would have ben better off. Sure, you have to start Jackson at some point, but you don't have to just throw him to the wolves. That's my opinion.

LL2
10-22-2007, 03:52 PM
The Vikings need to get on their ship and sail back to Norway!