PDA

View Full Version : Ever Been in a Huddle??

Tarlam!
10-22-2007, 12:46 PM
I haven't. I captained my Rugby team and thats almost the same thing. I would call out "plays", but that is not even close. KY will add, I'm sure. Shep?

I have never been in a huddle; neither on "O" or "D". Those of you who have been in a huddle, I address this appeal to you. Share with us, what it is like? Audibles? Etc.

I love this game, I am so convinced that if I were fortunate enough to have been raised on your side of the pond, that I would have been an NFL TE.

Anyways, please share!

Zool
10-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Been since HS though. Not much to our plays really. Mostly jumbo package and run to whatever daylight there is.

The Leaper
10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Nope. My high school never had a football team, which is fine by me because I loved playing golf in the fall.

I probably could've been pretty decent at the high school level...I played pick-up ball in the winter with plenty of friends who were good players at local schools, and was always one of the better receivers in the group...but I never would've done much past that level.

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2007, 01:17 PM
I played football until 9th grade, and then realized I was a better tennis player. Unfortunately, boy's tennis and football are played at the same time in North Dakota. It didn't help that I was small. I grew a little bit after high school, and became a dominant park and intramural flag football player.
:D

Tarlam!
10-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Mostly jumbo package and run to whatever daylight there is.

And this means what, exactly?

Tarlam!
10-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I played football until 9th grade, and then realized I was a better tennis player. Unfortunately, boy's tennis and football are played at the same time in North Dakota. It didn't help that I was small. I grew a little bit after high school, and became a dominant park and intramural flag football player.
:D

I SEEN you throw a football. Awe-f-chin'-some.

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2007, 01:24 PM

They didn't throw much.

billy_oliver880
10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Our huddles were simple....the line lined up in front and the receivers and running backs where behind us. Reciever would come in with the play call and tell the QB. Calls were simple like I-right 33 counter. Or Slot left 44 dive. Defense was pretty similar too but our huddle was more lax. Most times the call would be something like 43 snake in the grass or 52 cover two.

Zool
10-22-2007, 01:36 PM

They didn't throw much.

TE T G C G T TE FL
QB

RB RB
I was the weakside TE in our standard set meaning that i actually got to run out for wounded ducks occasionally. We didn't have a traditional FB, so either one was the blocking back on the play.

Partial
10-22-2007, 02:19 PM
your flanker is on the line. giggle.

I was big on the double tight formation and I would do a lot of play action or gadget plays. I didn't have a great arm but I was a winner :D

Carolina_Packer
10-22-2007, 02:23 PM

I was big on the double tight formation and I would do a lot of play action or gadget plays. I didn't have a great arm but I was a winner :D

Does TT know about you?

MadtownPacker
10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
I dont think we are gonna want to hear Harlan's answer to this thread. :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

Zool
10-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Yeah, wasnt trying too hard to get the formation exact.

Rastak
10-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Played a few different positions back in grade school. MLB and TE mostly.

Guiness
10-22-2007, 03:34 PM

It means they ran the U-71!

RashanGary
10-22-2007, 03:35 PM
One of my biggest regrets in highschool was not playing football. I played backyard football my whole life growing up, but I was too busy smoking pot and skipping school to play football by the time I was in highschool.

swede
10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
First play in 8th grade football, as a strapping 160 pounder, I lined up across from a kid from Einstein Jr. High that weighed 200 pounds. The rumour was that he hadn't been allowed to practice because he had hurt two teammates before the season started.

I was like "Well here we go. We get to play in a real football game".

He was like "I'm gonna break your frickin' raga maga zshigga higga HYUNGGH!"

He hit me so hard under my face mask that my chin snapped back and I received what I only later came to know as a stinger. I cared little that the 200 pounder was on top of my quarterback. I had my own issues.

Stinger is such an inadequate word to describe this injury. Your skull is basically thrown back at such an extreme angle that your neck vertbrae pinch your spinal cord. This creates a brief feeling of excruciating, electrical, flaming pain followed by numbness. In my case my arm hung limply at my side.

Picking my self up with some difficulty I started scuttling toward the sideline like Quasimodo. The coach screamed at me to get back on the field. Nobody does the vacant "huh?" better than me, but my coach was like blowing spittle as he screamed for me to return to the huddle.

Once in the huddle my quarterback directed me to keep my man out of his backfield.

"I can't feel my arm!"

"Use your other arm!"

On the next play I was not a better football player, but certainly a smarter football player, as I bravely dived at the ankles of my Brobdigagnian opponent and lay there quietly until the referees blew the injury time-out whistle.

The special ed kid on the team came and looked down at me as I lay on the ground with an ice pack under my neck. He had a charming speech articulation issue. "Shweed," he said, "You're letthing your man get by hyou!"

"I nearly had him the second time," I replied. "The chicken shit jumped over me!"

GrnBay007
10-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Volleyball and Basketball

No audibles :P

Guiness
10-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Played university ball. Offense ran the option, and we pitched to the HB maybe 80% of the time. Only wrinkle put in was that we had a really athletic guard who would sometimes pull instead of straight ahead blocking.

I played D, but got into the O huddle a couple of time during preaseason, as stand in WR. All that got said was - "HB strong side" or "HB weak side" and "Tom, seal that corner" if the guard was pulling. Then a couple words of encouragement..."everybody block hard!" Occasionally, a TE or WR would pipe in "look my way, would ya? There's nobody near me" which the QB would ignore, and call the option.

Because we exclusively ran the option, there was no traditional play calling, with alignment, hole assignment, etc. Never heard "I left 213" or anything. In the very rare case that the QB was considering a pass (2nd down and 15 was a running down! And there's only three downs in Canadian ball) he'd assign a receiver a route - "Ken, run a 3"

Oh ya, if the D went to 5 down linemen, we'd sometimes go to the Veer, which our FB loved, cause he could get the ball as the dive back.

Defensive 'huddles' were a little looser, because we had to watch the O to see if they were breaking up and heading to the line. Play calls were relayed from the sideline to either the Rover (FS) or MLB, whoever was captain of the D.

We rarely changed personel, running 4-4-4 (12 men on field in Canadian ball) only occasionally changing out a DL or LB for an extra DB. With the wider field, it's too easy to get gashed for 10 if you take a big man off the field.

Captain would remind of of down and tell us approx distance, and which side of the field was the strong side. Then he would bark out the play, which was divided three parts, one for each unit (in this order: DL, LB, DB). That was the order, because if the O broke before that was done, we broke and headed to the line. DB's played man on the corners, with safety help deep almost exclusively, so if they didn't get a call, that's what we did.

After the call, if the O was still in the huddle, the units would talk amongst themselves, especially the DL if they were given a 4 or 5 (slants).

Bossman641
10-22-2007, 06:44 PM
I played 7th and 8th grade. I played cornerback and special teams. I wasn't the greatest but it was still fun to go out and hit people and just get the feeling of playing football.

Kiwon
10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
"Have you ever been in a huddle?"

:shock: I was expecting a joke thread.

My mind must be in the gutter or something. Either that or this is what I have come to expect of the PR community. :D

superfan
10-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Outstanding story, Swede. Thanks for sharing.

Fred's Slacks
10-22-2007, 08:20 PM
I have one of the more diverse football experiences. In ninth grade, I played fullback and linebacker for our freshman and JV teams. Our high school had around 300 kids in it and we were one of the biggest in the area. To this day I think freshman football was the most fun. There is such a big gap in talent at that age that if you were good you could completely dominate a game. I remember games have 25+ tackles and 3+ touchdowns. Kick punt/kick returns for touchdowns were common.

As a sophmore and junior I had the oppurtunity to start on our varsity team at LB and at a wopping 165 lbs dripping wet I started at left guard (not a joke). We had very good running backs in the grade above me so the only way I could play offense on varsity was to play guard. I just wanted to play so I did.

On offense, the play call was just a formation, a number representing the position that was getting the ball, another number indicating the gap the ball was going to and then the blocking scheme. So "I right 33 trap" meant we were lining up in the I formation with the tight end to the right. The fullback (3) was getting the ball in the 3 whole and the guards and center were trap blocking.

On defense again it was simple, basically just announced the formation, followed by the coverage followed by any blitzes. Since I played MLB I got to call out the signals.

My senior year, my patience was rewarded by moving me to tailback (I still played linebacker). I responded by setting our school record by rushing for just under 1500 yards and returned 3 kicks for scores.

That got some schools interested but I was too small to be considered for any scholarships. So I went to a D3 school were I was red shirted my first year at RB then switched the following year to WR. My sophomore year was highlighted by a TD that sealed our conference championship. Unfortunately that was my only TD in my college career. I battled a hamstring injury that year and afterward I decided that I had a chance to be all american if I just concentrated on track. I haven't played football since. I never did get that all american honor in track despite spending all football season training but at least I know I did all I could.

In college we ran a version of the WCO. I believe it was simplified quite a bit. I really liked that offense and once you understood the concepts it was actually pretty easy to learn. You could run any play from any formation. The play call was a formation (represented by a color) then the protection (represented by a number) then any motion then the pass route. So "red right 22 zip sail" meant we were in red formation (split backs) with the TE to the right, 22 was the protection (not quite sure what that means and as a WR I didn't care), zip meant that the Z receiver was going in motion and sail meant you had a play side go, sail and flat route with a backside post.

We went undefeated that last season until we lost in the national playoffs. We had 2 guys go on to play in the NFL and one them still plays for the Lions. It was alot of fun.

Sorry for rambling so much but you got me thinking of some fun times. Hope that give you a little flavor of being in the huddle.

Deputy Nutz
10-22-2007, 08:38 PM
I was always a bigger kid and played QB my freshman year, Thats right Tarlam I ran the huddle bitch!!!! Only problem is I would call the wrong play, or twisted the play and messed it all up on several occasions. My sophomore year I moved to running back, when I played on varsity I played defensive line, and halfway through my junior year our offensive line sucked so I moved to guard where I became an all-conference and all-county on a State Championship team.

MJZiggy
10-22-2007, 08:56 PM
I was always a bigger kid and played QB my freshman year, Thats right Tarlam I ran the huddle bitch!!!! Only problem is I would call the wrong play, or twisted the play and messed it all up on several occasions. My sophomore year I moved to running back, when I played on varsity I played defensive line, and halfway through my junior year our offensive line sucked so I moved to guard where I became an all-conference and all-county on a State Championship team.

I can see that happening. All these stories are great because the most I've ever heard in the huddle is "ok, you go run over that way and then I'll throw you the ball and you catch it and run as fast as you can, ok?"

superfan
10-22-2007, 09:00 PM

Cool - you were Jared Lorenzen. :D

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/edsweets18/jaredlornzen.jpg

Deputy Nutz
10-22-2007, 09:29 PM

Cool - you were Jared Lorenzen. :D

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/edsweets18/jaredlornzen.jpg

I didn't get that fat until my mid twenties.

I played junior high ball and all these small little kids wanted to play QB, and the coaches let them even thought they couldn't throw, run or see over the line. I played QB in Juniors, and they made me play defense because everyone had to play and I was a starter on defense and to be fair to the shitty kids they had to have an opening somewhere else.

Now I ain't 6-4 or anything but damn it was depressing to see the 5-4 kid get ass raped on a football field.

gex
10-22-2007, 10:25 PM
First play in 8th grade football, as a strapping 160 pounder, I lined up across from a kid from Einstein Jr. High that weighed 200 pounds. The rumour was that he hadn't been allowed to practice because he had hurt two teammates before the season started.

I was like "Well here we go. We get to play in a real football game".

He was like "I'm gonna break your frickin' raga maga zshigga higga HYUNGGH!"

He hit me so hard under my face mask that my chin snapped back and I received what I only later came to know as a stinger. I cared little that the 200 pounder was on top of my quarterback. I had my own issues.

Stinger is such an inadequate word to describe this injury. Your skull is basically thrown back at such an extreme angle that your neck vertbrae pinch your spinal cord. This creates a brief feeling of excruciating, electrical, flaming pain followed by numbness. In my case my arm hung limply at my side.

Picking my self up with some difficulty I started scuttling toward the sideline like Quasimodo. The coach screamed at me to get back on the field. Nobody does the vacant "huh?" better than me, but my coach was like blowing spittle as he screamed for me to return to the huddle.

Once in the huddle my quarterback directed me to keep my man out of his backfield.

"I can't feel my arm!"

"Use your other arm!"

On the next play I was not a better football player, but certainly a smarter football player, as I bravely dived at the ankles of my Brobdigagnian opponent and lay there quietly until the referees blew the injury time-out whistle.

The special ed kid on the team came and looked down at me as I lay on the ground with an ice pack under my neck. He had a charming speech articulation issue. "Shweed," he said, "You're letthing your man get by hyou!"

"I nearly had him the second time," I replied. "The chicken shit jumped over me!"

ROTFLOL! :) Man, that is funny :D

Noodle
10-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Tar -- Don't lose any sleep over missing a huddle, you ain't missed much. Later in the game a lot of gasping and wheezing, sometimes some bitching, mostly direct and to-the-point play calling without all the rah rah crud you see in the movies.

I've played your game, and I played football up through high school, and I have to say your game is more fun. Better flow, more athletic, more creative, and the hitting is more honest. I ain't sayin you guys are choir boys, 'cause you're not, but it's more shoulder hitting and there ain't nearly as much leading with your friggin head.

Carolina_Packer
10-22-2007, 11:11 PM
The title of the post struck me as funny. Made me think of a funny movie.

http://www.arcollectibles.com/oveur.jpg

Captain Oveur: You ever been in a cockpit before?
Joey: No sir, I've never been up in a plane before.
Captain Oveur: You ever seen a grown man naked?

Harlan Huckleby
10-22-2007, 11:33 PM
One of my biggest regrets in highschool was not playing football. I played backyard football my whole life growing up, but I was too busy smoking pot and skipping school to play football by the time I was in highschool.

you did the right thing. your lungs recovered from the pot smoking, and you have enough brain cells left to get by. The ex football players are now all limping.

I don't remember football being much fun. Partially this is because I wasn't fast enough to play defense, or skilled enough to touch a football. Offensive line sucks ass. Hitting those damn blocking sleds over and over in practice - yuk.

The big problem with being on a football team is you hardly ever get to play football. Practice is all boring, grueling drills. I remember that everyone in high school was ELATED when the football season was over.

PLAYING football can be a total rush. Especially on defense when you get to tackle people. And I'm sure the star skill players are on cloud nine. But you don't get to scrimmage much in practice because of injury risk. What's the fun of a game if you don't get to play it?

High school football is for the birds. Mothers, Fathers, don't let your kids play football. TERRIBLE sport for participation.

I was just talking to a guy who owns a diner in Madison (the Curve.) He played defensive lineman for the Badgers around 1990, very good player. Both his knees give him trouble, and worst of all, he gets punishing headaches all the time related to neck problems from years of head banging.

My life has been DRAMATICALLY affected by a bad knee surgery from high school football.

Football is a sport best viewed on TV. If you want your kids to be healthy and have a ton of fun, get a soccer ball.

MadtownPacker
10-23-2007, 01:56 AM
My life has been DRAMATICALLY affected by a bad knee surgery from high school football.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Bundy

"He is a slovenly character who finds himself constantly downtrodden by life and forever regretful of the turns his life has taken since the end of high school, when an injury prevented him from playing college football."

FritzDontBlitz
10-23-2007, 03:35 AM
i played football from peewee through high school. didnt actually play in college but played 5 years of semipro - "semi" meaning we never got paid. got to call the defensive plays as middle linebacker my last year of semipro and pitched a shutout in the first game i called.

my favorite blitz was from the backside end depending on which hand the qb threw with, usually the left offensive tackle side since most qb's were right handed. after a couple blindside hits the qb would usually be reduced to a jittery fool too busy looking over his left shoulder for the blitzer to actually see any open receivers downfield.

a thing of beauty i tell ya....

CaliforniaCheez
10-23-2007, 05:32 AM
I was an RB and Safety in High School playing both ways. Smaller school.

I liked Safety a lot more.

As an RB I really hated running sweeps. Eventually the blockers are gone and you get hit and slowed by one guy or 2 guys and then the pursuit gets you. You wind up under 3 or 4 guys.

I would rather run up the middle and hit one or 2 guys than be hit.

Best yet was Safety (LB in Jr high). It was a lot better hitting, tackling, breaking up passes than being tackled.

swede
10-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Tar -- Don't lose any sleep over missing a huddle, you ain't missed much. Later in the game a lot of gasping and wheezing, sometimes some bitching, mostly direct and to-the-point play calling without all the rah rah crud you see in the movies.

I've played your game, and I played football up through high school, and I have to say your game is more fun. Better flow, more athletic, more creative, and the hitting is more honest. I ain't sayin you guys are choir boys, 'cause you're not, but it's more shoulder hitting and there ain't nearly as much leading with your friggin head.

Rugby really does seem like a rather fun game, although I can't seem to figure out the rules by simply watching a match for a few minutes. Its ebb and flow reminds me strongly of a game we used to call "Murder the guy with the Ball".

But the high incidence of missing teeth among enthusiasts is one of the reasons I don't go looking for a 40 and older Rugby League.

The shirts are very cool, though.

MadtownPacker
10-23-2007, 08:00 AM
I was never involved with any after school stuff. Never got interested in sports until I was a teenager. It just wasnt in the cards I guess but I would have loved to play on a team. I imagine it must be similiar to being in a gang because you work together to defeat your enemy and always watch each others backs. I think I would have liked it.

Harlan Huckleby
10-23-2007, 11:34 AM
I was never involved with any after school stuff.

you're selling yourself short, stealing cars and sniffing glue counts.

I don't appreciate your snickering at me & Al Bundy. At least we laced um up and got on that field of play, you never had your day in the sun. Did I mention that Otto Graham once asked me to play football? And more importantly, Al & I have both been inside of a hot, red-headed woman. You've been inside your hot, rosy-red palm, plus a string of scruffy, desperate girls from poor mexican villages. OK, I guess that cousin of yours was actually good looking. Congratulations, Don Juan.

Carolina_Packer
10-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I was never involved with any after school stuff.

you're selling yourself short, stealing cars and sniffing glue counts.

I don't appreciate your snickering at me & Al Bundy. At least we laced um up and got on that field of play, you never had your day in the sun. Did I mention that Otto Graham once asked me to play football? And more importantly, Al & I have both been inside of a hot, red-headed woman. You've been inside your hot, rosy-red palm, plus a string of scruffy, desperate girls from poor mexican villages. OK, I guess that cousin of yours was actually good looking. Congratulations, Don Juan.

Going a little NC-17 on us, HH?

MadtownPacker
10-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I don't appreciate your snickering at me & Al Bundy. At least we laced um up and got on that field of play, you never had your day in the sun.I agree. I never have gotten on a field and played a game but where did I "snicker" at you? All I did was post a quote from the link I posted. It just so happens to sound like what you where talking about. You should feel proud that you are compared to Bundy. I bet you never had 4 TDs for Polk High in the city championship. But even if you just had 2 TDs I guess would still have to envy you.

So how does it feel to be an ex-somebody? :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
10-23-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm still gonna be a somebody. Just biding my time, waiting for the proper moment to strike.

retailguy
10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm still gonna be a somebody. Just biding my time, waiting for the proper moment to strike.

Isn't this a Unabomber quote?

KYPack
10-24-2007, 08:40 AM
My experience is somewhat similar to some on here. Played high school ball and later, a couple years of semi-pro football. Then I played rugby for a number of years with a local club side. One comment struck me. There is a residual effect from playing all those years of contact sports. I meet with my back surgeon on Dec 7!

Played mostly defense, but had some snaps on O, too. The offensive huddle is where all the action is. A couple things haven’t been touched on. The backs and the holes are numbered. The backs are 1-4 and the holes are numbered odd on the right, even on the left. (These systems can change from coach to coach, system to system) The QB calls the formation, the play call, any blocking assignments, and the snap count. A typical running play would be “ I right 35 lead toss on two” The formation is an I, the TE lines up on the right, the 3 back gets a toss and the up back blocks thru the 5 hole where the 3 back is gonna run after catching the ball on a toss from the QB. The center snaps the ball on the second hut (on two).

Passing plays are more complicated because the QB will tell each receiver what route to run. A typical pass play would be “ Red right 89 flow, x slant, y curl, z streak, 4 rainbow on one” Pass plays take longer to call because there are so many possibilities with the pass receivers. The play calls on offense are more complicated than I have described so it mainly all business in the O huddle. When the QB sticks his head in the huddle, nobody talks. Everybody catches a blow, then the QB makes the play call, then up to the line to run the play. Sometimes guys get rambunctious and yell and swear in the huddle. The QB will holler “Hey, shut the (hell) up in my huddle” Silence follows and the QB re-establishes his leadership.

On D, things are a lot looser, but there still are calls. “43 Over” is a typical call. 4 D lineman with the RT over the center, 3 LB’s. Play standard defense.

“4-3 under, Wanda storm” is a little hairier. The RT lines up in the gap and the Weak side LB blitzes (Wanda storm) the defensive backs all play very tight on the receivers and the weak safety cheats up to cover the weakside LB’s spot.

There’s a lot more cussin’ and fussin in a Defensive huddle. There’s yelling at the other team and guys bitching about different shit. The DB’s make their call as the other team deploys their receivers. The safety will just holler the cover as the guys are running into position.

I didn’t go into audibles, but if anybody cares, I’d be glad to cover that in a different post.

Noodle
10-24-2007, 08:53 AM
So KY, what was your take -- did you like playing rugby or organized football better? As I said above, I liked playing rugby a lot more, and I don't think Tar has missed much by not having been in a huddle. But I enjoy watching football more than just about any other sport.

Cheesehead Craig
10-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Played HS ball, got to start at WR. It was fun.

Never played in college, too busy hoopin' it up.

Now I play in a 6v6 league. It's just like back when we were kids. One guy is the QB, everyone else tries to get open. Lots of fun.

Badgepack
10-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Where is the post of the cornerback that shut down Darin Charles in HS football?

Harlan Huckleby
10-24-2007, 11:01 AM
My brothers and a couple of the neighbors would play football games in the back yard that went on for like 6 hours. It would get dark, and we'd turn one set of spot lights so you could sorta see the ball.

Earlier in my career, my brother and I playing a game of football in the living room that we called "Bulldog". It involved a quarterback (who call signals very, very loudly "395! 395! hut! hut!" against a defensive lineman on a 3 foot field. It was all red zone, baby, very intense.

Organized football sucks ass for about 75% of the players. It's like joining the marines and getting yelled at for fun. Hell, if you want to knock your brains around and break a leg, join a rugby club, that looks like great fun.

Harlan Huckleby
10-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Where is the post of the cornerback that shut down Darin Charles in HS football?

Where's Darin Charles?, for that matter.

swede
10-24-2007, 02:24 PM

That be Tank.

Who doesn't miss Tank?

Fred's Slacks
10-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Passing plays are more complicated because the QB will tell each receiver what route to run. A typical pass play would be “ Red right 89 flow, x slant, y curl, z streak, 4 rainbow on one” Pass plays take longer to call because there are so many possibilities with the pass receivers.

That's one nice thing about WCO. You don't call out each individual route. You call out one concept and from that you know all the routes on the play. You have to know all the routes on each play because you could have a different route depending on the formation. Say I am playing X, when a play is called I may have a go if I line up on the backside but if I go into motion to play side or if I'm lined up in the slot, I may have a flat route or an out. You would also change your route depending on man or zone coverage. Crossing routes required that you sit in a soft spot against zone but you were supposed to keep running across the field against man. With the sail route you were supposed to run a hard out route against zone but more of a corner type route against man. So you can see how QB and WR can be on different pages when one of them doesn't recognize the coverage.

4and12to12and4
10-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Passing plays are more complicated because the QB will tell each receiver what route to run. A typical pass play would be “ Red right 89 flow, x slant, y curl, z streak, 4 rainbow on one” Pass plays take longer to call because there are so many possibilities with the pass receivers.

That's one nice thing about WCO. You don't call out each individual route. You call out one concept and from that you know all the routes on the play. You have to know all the routes on each play because you could have a different route depending on the formation. Say I am playing X, when a play is called I may have a go if I line up on the backside but if I go into motion to play side or if I'm lined up in the slot, I may have a flat route or an out. You would also change your route depending on man or zone coverage. Crossing routes required that you sit in a soft spot against zone but you were supposed to keep running across the field against man. With the sail route you were supposed to run a hard out route against zone but more of a corner type route against man. So you can see how QB and WR can be on different pages when one of them doesn't recognize the coverage.

And we bitch when Favre throws an interception. No wonder he's always shaking his head at his receivers every other down, it sure would be nice to keep more than one around every couple of years, huh?

4and12to12and4
10-24-2007, 06:27 PM
BTW, Swede, that was a great story and told wonderfully. Thanks.

KYPack
10-24-2007, 07:44 PM
So KY, what was your take -- did you like playing rugby or organized football better? As I said above, I liked playing rugby a lot more, and I don't think Tar has missed much by not having been in a huddle. But I enjoy watching football more than just about any other sport.

There's different reasons to like both sports. They are different in a number of areas. In football there's contact all over the field. It's physical and it boils down to a game of speed and brute force. The mental aspect is there, but in any second you can find yourself in some real hairy situations.

Rugger is a game of continuity. You are on defense and then have the ball in a heartbeat. Rugby has most of the contact around the ball, while the off the ball play is real important strategically. Rugby is like a game of physical chess. You've got a bigger field and you can play field position to your advantage over thicker (stupider) opponents. One aspect of rugby I dug right away is the fact that a kick can be an offensive play. When you kick to your opponent, you can field it yourself (or any of your onside teammates) can get it and keep on truckin'.

I like 'em both, but definitely loved rugger.

One factor about Rugby is that there is a lot of contact with your old teammates. This last weekend, I played golf with our old captain & wing forward. Sunday I went to the Bengal Jets game with my old winger and partner in crime, Bomba.

They are both great sports & I loved 'em both, but Rugby is where I have the most contact with old pals.

Course, my favorite thing in the world is to attend a Packer game in Lambeau. There is nothing like that team and that place.

MJZiggy
10-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Course, my favorite thing in the world is to attend a Packer game in Lambeau. There is nothing like that team and that place.

'Specially when you go with a bunch of Rats!!

ND72
10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Played in High School and College, and now Coach High School.

When I played in High school, we had 3 sets, so our base huddle would be something like "duece 35 belly on 1 on 1 ready break".

College...We'd have our formation. "offset Tiger Roger" (Tight End Right, offset I to the right) motions would be things liks zip, zag, zig, zan, zap. Run plays, zones would simply be 25 inside or 27 outside. we'd have 36 PS and 32 PT. Pass plays were all in either 300's, 500's, 700's, 900's.

300's were zone pass pro protection, 500/700's were 5 & 7 foot drops, 900's were 1 step drops. a 500 play would be something like 597, and then if there were any stipulations other than the 97 to the WR's, there'd be something like Offset Tiger Roger, 597 X-Drop, Y-Go.

The team I also coached in Winona was pretty complex. our base offense was Pro-I. If we ran a 26 Dive, it'd be Pro Right 26 Dive. we also had 300, 500, and 900 pass pro's. Except 300 & 900 told our lineman to cut right away, and 500 was man pass pro. my favorite play was Twins Right 575...4 Wide Receivers, strength to the right. 5, man pass pro, 7, WR did a 12 yard come back, 5, slot WR did a 5 yard out.