PDA

View Full Version : A Brief Look At Who The Packers Have Played exactly

Partial
10-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Philadelphia comes into the group of teams played with the worst record. They sit at 2-4, but have played some very good teams.

So far, they have played the following teams:
at Packers - L 13-16
Redskins - L 12-20
Lions - W 56-21
at Giants L - 3-16
at Jets W 16-9
Bears L 16-19

They have played a very tough road schedule so far. @ GB, @ NY, and @ NY are three very tough places to play. It should also be noted that they lost to Chicago in a piss-poor fashion despite controlling the game (much like GB when they fell to Chicago). Philadelphia is a pretty decent team in my opinion who will finish around 8-8 despite the slow start.

Next, we played the Giants in New York. Talk about a tough game. This Giants team that we thought was so terrible and all guaranteed a win against is looking like the third or fourth best team in the NFC right now. After playing Dallas (the best team in the NFC), and Green Bay (arguably the second best team in the NFC), they have been on a tear and dominating opponents. They sit with a 5-2 record. They have played the following teams:

@ Dallas - L 35-45
Green Bay - L 13-35
@ Washington - W 24-17
Philadelphia - W 16-3
New York - W 35-24
@Atlanta - W 31-10
San Francisco - W 33-15

As you can see, they have played some quality teams in Philadelphia, Dallas, Green Bay, Washington and New York. This team is better than any of us imagined coming into week 2 and we should a whole lot better about that win.

Next, we played one of the most talented teams in San Diego. Sure, we caught them after a brutal week of traveling, but professional football players know how to sleep on planes and overcome these minor annoyances. Right now they're at 3-3 after a very tough schedule to start the year, but will likely end up being 11-5. They dominated a Broncos team that we play, and a team that just beat one of the NFL's best in the Steelers. The Raiders are a surprisingly tough team that we will have a battle against in a few weeks.

Chicago - W 14-3
@ New England - L 14-38
@ GB - L 24-31
Kansas City - L 16-30
Denver - W 41-3
Oakland - W 28-14

Early in the season everyone was asking "whats wrong with the Chargers". I say nothing was. They played a reigning super bowl representative in a tough game and won. That says a lot right there. They played as well as anyone has in Foxboro this year. They had a magnificant offensive day against Green Bay but they couldn't contain the hot hand of a 3 time MVP in GB. They should have beat KC. Otherwise, they have done well and dominated their opponents. This is a darn good team we have beaten so far.

Minnesota is a dangerous team. They're very young and inexperienced but they have some serious talent on their roster. So far they have been very inconsistent due to a lack of a quality quarterback. So far, they have only played two home games, and they cleaned up against the Falcons and lost to one of the best teams in the NFC in Green Bay. It is tough to win on the road, especially back-to-back-to-back. I suspect they will have better luck as the season wears on.

Atlanta - W 24-3
@ Detroit - L 17-20
@ Kansas City - L 10-13
Green Bay - L 16-23
@ Chicago - W 34-31
@ Dallas - L 14-24

That is a pretty darn tough schedule. Dallas, Chicago and Kansas City are very tough places to play. They did not fair as well against Green Bay at home, but they got the job done against Atlanta. I suspect they team will be about 8-8 when all is said and done. Talk about a monster first portion of the year! One thing to note is that Detroit is 3-0 at home. They beat Chicago and Minnesota at home. They're a tough place to play as well.

Chicago is a very good team who hasn't played great so far. They should have a better record than they do because they have more talent that most teams in the NFC. They are 3-4 with quality victories @GB and @Philadelphia. San Diego came to play opening week, and Detroit made an epic comeback despite Chicago controlling most of the game. They're much better than their record represents. Likewise, they probably should have beat Minnesota and lost to Philadelphia as both games were decided in the last minute.

@San Diego - L 3-14
Kansas City - W 20-10
Dallas - L 10-34
@ Detroit - L 27-37
@ GB - W 27-20
Minnesota - L 34-31
Philadelphia - W 19-16

Deceptively good team there. Tough opening schedule to start the year.

The Redskins are the third or fourth best team in the NFC. In my opinion they are right up there with the Giants and could potentially compete with Dallas. Most people say that they were the toughest test we played so far, but I would argue that San Diego was a tougher game and New York was also since it was in the NJ. So far, they're at 4-2 with a loss to us and a loss to the Giants.

Miami - W 16-13
@Philadelphia - W 20-12
New York - L 17-24
Detroit - W 34-3
@ GB - L 14-17
Arizona - W 21-19

As you can see, they're not a slouch by any stretch of the imagination. They lost to the arguably 2nd and 3rd best teams in the NFC. Other than that, they have taken care of business. I look forward to seeing them play Dallas. That should be an intense, physical game.

When taking out the games played against the Packers, the teams they have played have a combined winning percentage of 57%, or 18-14. That averages out to a 9 win team so it is not like they're beating a bunch of chumps. They're getting it done against fairly decent opposite.

Knowing their opposition averages out to winning more than half of the games they play, an average team would be 3-3 or 2-4 right now. We're 5-1 winning 83% of our games. That is pretty damn impressive.

If I was really motivated and wanted to go Fosco on it, I could calculate every teams %s and figure out who the good teams are and who the bad teams are, but I am fairly content and happy knowing that we're playing good ball and beating quality opponents.

Partial
10-23-2007, 01:13 PM
I finished my analysis.

BallHawk
10-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Good analysis, Partial.

Some people try to take away what the Packers have done by criticizing our schedule.

You can't control your schedule. You can't control how hot or cold the team is going to be when you play them.

You can control how you play when your go up against that team. The Packers are beating teams they should beat and they are winning games they aren't expected to win.

That's what good teams do.

Partial
10-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I would reckon that they have played one of the tougher schedules in the league thus far. Look at their opponents win-loss percentage. I believe Fosco takes not only their opponents win loss percentage, but the Pack's opponent's opponent's percentage. So, he would consider the quality of opponent the vikings are playing.

Being Winning 83.3% of the time against an average 9 win team is pretty damn good in my book. Not many teams in the NFL can consistently do that.

The Leaper
10-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Philadelphia is a pretty decent team in my opinion who will finish around 8-8 despite the slow start.

I dunno. Reid is clearly distracted by everything surrounding his family life during this offseason. McNabb is about due to break a leg. The NFC East is probably the toughest division in football. It will be tough for the Eagles to finish 6-4.

Otherwise, I do agree with your assessment that we've had a tough schedule. That was a large reason why I figured the Packers might take a step back from last year's 8-8 mark...not being quite ready for the task at hand. Fortunately, I was wrong.

3irty1
10-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Philadelphia is a pretty decent team in my opinion who will finish around 8-8 despite the slow start.

I dunno. Reid is clearly distracted by everything surrounding his family life during this offseason. McNabb is about due to break a leg. The NFC East is probably the toughest division in football. It will be tough for the Eagles to finish 6-4.

Otherwise, I do agree with your assessment that we've had a tough schedule. That was a large reason why I figured the Packers might take a step back from last year's 8-8 mark...not being quite ready for the task at hand. Fortunately, I was wrong.

I think 8-8 sounds right. They have been without without Westbrook for one of the losses and McNabb was sacked 50 times in that game too. They aren't as bad as their record shows. They'll win some games. They should have beat us after all :)

Bossman641
10-23-2007, 02:28 PM

I'm with Leaper. Other than your thoughts on the Eagles I agree with you. IMO, the Eagles are pretty much done. I see no way they finish 8-8, especially in the NFC East. Their WR's are trash, LJ Smith is no longer the TE threat he once was, and they are overly dependent on Westbrook. Westbrook is very good, but he is always banged up.

Other than the one huge game against Detroit McNabb has been very ordinary. That offense really struggles to move the ball.

b bulldog
10-23-2007, 02:49 PM
iN THE nfl, IT ALSO MATTERS HOW A TEAM IS PLAYING WHEN YOU PLAY THEM.

MJZiggy
10-23-2007, 03:01 PM

I don't care how our opponents are playing, as long as we beat them. 8-) . If we keep beating them no matter how they're playing, it doesn't really matter what they do the rest of the season, does it?

retailguy
10-23-2007, 03:02 PM

Way to ruin a perfectly good analysis.. :shock:

I suppose you're going to say that the Giants team that won 5 straight isn't the same team the Packers played in week 2, or that the Chargers team is different than what they played in week 3... Spoilsport... You always got to be bringing the facts in! :P

b bulldog
10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
IMO, that is why it is so hard to predict how a team will do and who they will lose to when the schedule comes out.

retailguy
10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
IMO, that is why it is so hard to predict how a team will do and who they will lose to when the schedule comes out.

Well, I've proven just how difficult that is this year, that's for sure. I had 'em 1-5, not 5-1.... :P

rpiotr01
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
As you can see, they have played some quality teams in Philadelphia, Dallas, Green Bay, Washington and New York. This team is better than any of us imagined coming into week 2 and we should a whole lot better about that win.

Just want to nit pick there. The Giants are cleaning up against the dregs of the league, and that includes the Jets. They are 2-4 and have lost 4 in a row. They're playing as bad as anyone. It's hard to make a judgment about the Giants right now because beating Atlanta, the Jets, SF and soon to be Miami doesn't tell you much. They'll come back down to earth second half of the season.

RashanGary
10-23-2007, 04:14 PM

All of the teams have had a funny way of not playing us very well. It's kind of a pattern this year.

b bulldog
10-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Kind of like my typing :lol: hopefully it keeps up.

4and12to12and4
10-23-2007, 05:18 PM
We have beat very good teams. And just because they're records don't reflect it, first of all, us beating them takes away 5 wins right there that they would have, so that changes the whole look of it. The Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Chargers, come on, they are all excellent teams. The Giants haven't lost a game since we beat them. The Eagles are much better than their record. And gettng beat by us in the first week may have messed with their confidence. The Redskins and Giants are both potentially playoff caliber teams. The Redskins might be the most balanced team in the NFC. The Giants was a road game, very difficult to win there. This start is much more impressive than last years 4 game win streak. Much more impressive.

pack4to84
10-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Eagles are done. They might win 3 more game this year. Done Done Done.

Rest of there Schedule

at Minnesota
Dallas
at Washington
Miami
at New England
Seattle
NY Giants
at Dallas
at New Orleans
Buffalo

They need to go 7-3 to finish 9-7, 6 wins to finish 8-8.

superfan
10-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Great thread Partial.

I think Philly goes 5-5 to finish the season at 7-9. Very disappointing season for them, losses to GB and Chicago were backbreakers. If they win both of those games, which they easily could have, they would be 4-2 and considered one of the NFC's best.

Should win - at Minnesota, Miami, Buffalo
Should lose - at New England, at Dallas, at Washington
Too close to call - Dallas, Seattle, NY Giants, at New Orleans

BEARMAN
10-23-2007, 08:29 PM
You got to play Da BEARS again, in our house ! Now that we do not have it all "wrapped" up, we will play to win/sweep the pack ! :twisted:

pack4to84
10-23-2007, 08:47 PM
football outsiders DVOA Playoff odds
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds.php
NFC North

Division odds
NFC North
GB 84.2% 11.1 wins
Det 10.3% 8.0 wins
Min 3.5% 7.2 wins
Chi 1.9% 6.7 wins

Sorry BEARMAN looks like last place for you guy's.

BEARMAN
10-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Don't nail the cofin shut just yet, ... alot of football to be played ! :smack:

oregonpackfan
10-23-2007, 09:12 PM

Bearman,

I don't have the nails for your coffin just yet, but I have made an appointment for you with our handy taxidemist! :)

MJZiggy
10-23-2007, 10:13 PM
http://www.moosecreeklighting.com/taxidermy/tax-images/bearrug21a.jpg

Partial
10-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Way to ruin a perfectly good analysis.. :shock:

I suppose you're going to say that the Giants team that won 5 straight isn't the same team the Packers played in week 2, or that the Chargers team is different than what they played in week 3... Spoilsport... You always got to be bringing the facts in! :P

I don't think that counts for a fact at all. Why is it all of a sudden that its a different team after they play Dallas and us? They still had their best players, etc. Suddenly after playing us and Chicago San Diego pulled it together too, I bet. What a load of bull.

Partial
10-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Eagles are done. They might win 3 more game this year. Done Done Done.

Rest of there Schedule

at Minnesota
Dallas
at Washington
Miami
at New England
Seattle
NY Giants
at Dallas
at New Orleans
Buffalo

They need to go 7-3 to finish 9-7, 6 wins to finish 8-8.

Care to make it interesting? I bet they go 8-8

Partial
10-23-2007, 10:31 PM

Agreed. Your Bears have a lot of talent. Just playing some good teams in Dallas, GB, Minn, etc.

Guiness
10-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Good analysis Partial.

As other have mentioned, I'll disagree on two points. I'm not so sure Philly's a very good team at all, and Reid is distracted. Take away Westbrook, and they're nothing. That's all we did -- and they could do nothing.

I also think the jury is still out on the Giants. Last three wins were over very poor teams (I'd say SF, NYJ and Atl are the three worst teams in the league), and they beat a Filly team I don't think much of.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not taking anything away from the Pack's victories over two teams that were in the playoffs last year. Good teams win the games they should. Before the season, I wasn't so sure they should, but am convinced now. :)

HarveyWallbangers
10-24-2007, 01:49 AM
Last three wins were over very poor teams (I'd say SF, NYJ and Atl are the three worst teams in the league)

Don't let Bretsky hear you talk about his (big FA signing) sleeper team like that.
:D