PDA

View Full Version : Wells and Koren may both play

4and12to12and4
10-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Packers Notes: Wells cleared to play
October 22, 2007
Written by Wire Reports - PackerChatters Staff

Center Scott Wells said he was medically cleared this morning and expects to return this week after missing the Oct. 14 game against Washington due to a fractured bone in his eye socket. He was injured against the Chicago Bears on Oct. 7.
Wells said he will have to wear a protective shield over his facemask.

McCarthy: Robinson 'in good shape'

Koren Robinson practiced well today and appears to be in good shape, coach Mike McCarthy said, but the team will wait until the end of the week to make an "educated decision" on whether the recently reinstated receiver will play Monday night at Denver.

"Everybody's excited he's back," McCarthy said.

Robinson had a couple of drops during the portion of practice that was open to the media but appeared to be moving well after undergoing knee surgery during his one-year suspension. McCarthy said it's the "perfect week" for Robinson to return because coaches are installing the game plan more slowly than usual, with two extra practice days.

Robinson arrived in Green Bay on Thursday to work out and met with offensive quality control assistant Ty Knott throughout the week. McCarthy said he plans to discuss Robinson's status with General Manager Ted Thompson on Wednesday. The team has a roster exemption for Robinson through Oct. 30 but would lose it if he plays against the Broncos.

The team also signed tight end Ryan Krause to the active roster, replacing tackle Orrin Thompson, who was waived last week. Krause, a fourth-year player from Nebraska-Omaha, spent three seasons with San Diego. The 6-foot-3, 244-pounder was a sixth-round draft pick of the Chargers in 2004 and has played in five career games.

The team needed an additional tight end because Bubba Franks is expected to miss the upcoming Monday night game at Denver with a knee injury.

Thompson was re-signed to the practice squad. The team also signed Tristan Burge to the practice squad and released receiver Onrea Jones. Burge, a rookie from Eastern Illinois, is a 6-foot, 210-pound safety.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

I sure hope Koren can help us in the kickoff and punt returns and as a receiver. If he becomes a viable threat at WR, we will have a formidable group out there, and we will eventually be able to run the ball with Wells and Coston back in there. Heck, even with Wells and Spitz playing for Coston, I like Spitz better anyway. But, one way or another, we need to keep the same five in there, and get Jackson back in there. He is, by far, the most talented back we have on our roster.

3irty1
10-23-2007, 04:57 PM
...get Jackson back in there. He is, by far, the most talented back we have on our roster.

How do you figure?

4and12to12and4
10-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Because Morency goes down if someone touches his shoulder pad, and has bad vision, can't find the holes, and as good as Wynn is as a 3 to 4 yard gain back, like Davenport was, he is no threat to break one, Jackson has the speed, ability to cut, find the hole, punish downhill running, and if he gets into open space can break one for a long run. He seems to be the whole package, he just needs time to adjust to our scheme and the NFL in general. But all in all, he has all the tools whereas Morency and Wynn have weaknesses in their game.

SkinBasket
10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
and as good as Wynn is as a 3 to 4 yard gain back, like Davenport was, he is no threat to break one

Did you watch the Bears game?

superfan
10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Robinson had a couple of drops during the portion of practice that was open to the media

Sounds like he is in midseason form.

Robinson arrived in Green Bay on Thursday to work out and met with offensive quality control assistant Ty Knott throughout the week.

"Ty Knott"? That's one of the best names ever.

motife
10-23-2007, 06:37 PM
In Koren's press conference, he mentioned he appreciated Brett Favre speaking up for him and supporting him though this problem.

Someone might want to ask Javon Walker if he appreciates Favre's vocal suport of Koren Robinson.

b bulldog
10-23-2007, 06:44 PM
I heard today that Morency is still not 100%, Franks is out indefinitely and Coston will most likely miss the game also. I also heard that Frank Walker is really progressing very well and also that Will Blackmon could be back in three weeks. This was all on the Fan today.

Partial
10-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Because Morency goes down if someone touches his shoulder pad, and has bad vision, can't find the holes, and as good as Wynn is as a 3 to 4 yard gain back, like Davenport was, he is no threat to break one, Jackson has the speed, ability to cut, find the hole, punish downhill running, and if he gets into open space can break one for a long run. He seems to be the whole package, he just needs time to adjust to our scheme and the NFL in general. But all in all, he has all the tools whereas Morency and Wynn have weaknesses in their game.

Morency has really good vision and shake. Those assets appear to be his finest. Also he has an innate ability to avoid a hit and pick up some extra yards. He is by far our best back.

Bretsky
10-23-2007, 10:41 PM

Morency has really good vision and shake. Those assets appear to be his finest. Also he has an innate ability to avoid a hit and pick up some extra yards. He is by far our best back.

If Morency is by far our best back that is more a statement of how terrible we are there as it is a compliment to Morency. I doubt they scare any opposing D out there

Partial
10-23-2007, 10:43 PM

If Morency is by far our best back that is more a statement of how terrible we are there as it is a compliment to Morency. I doubt they scare any opposing D out there

A tie-dyed turtle in a top hat? Nice! Morency is decent. He isn't in the same class as Peterson, obviously, but I think our running game will end up being fairly good by the end of the season.

Bretsky
10-23-2007, 10:49 PM

A tie-dyed turtle in a top hat? Nice! Morency is decent. He isn't in the same class as Peterson, obviously, but I think our running game will end up being fairly good by the end of the season.

TT's avatar has turned from the turtle hiding under his shell to the Dignified Turtle. He's the Top Turtle at this point.......lol

I still don't think much of Morency; our future RB #1 RB is not on this roster IMO

Partial
10-23-2007, 10:58 PM

TT's avatar has turned from the turtle hiding under his shell to the Dignified Turtle. He's the Top Turtle at this point.......lol

I still don't think much of Morency; our future RB #1 RB is not on this roster IMO

I think everyone would agree with that. But Jackson and Morency look like #2 and #3

RashanGary
10-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Morency is not a good running back. Him and Brandon Jackson are both 3rd down backs, Jackson being younger and stronger.

I think this will be Morency's last year in GB this year. It will be Wynn, Jackson and either Grant or hopefully someone else next year.

Partial
10-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Morency is not a good running back. Him and Brandon Jackson are both 3rd down backs, Jackson being younger and stronger.

I think this will be Morency's last year in GB this year. It will be Wynn, Jackson and either Grant or hopefully someone else next year.

I disagree.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't think Morency is the problem. He's decent. He has good speed, good shake, blocks, and catches the ball well. All of our guys are average at best, but there's talent to be adequate. We need guys to start run blocking and we need the coach to stick with it. There are 3 teams worse than us in yards/carry, and another 6 that right about the same. In fact, 16 teams (half of the league) averages less than 4 yards/carry. Our attempts/game is dead last though.

In fact, if you look closer, our QB and his 12 carries for 6 yards (he doesn't run much anymore, so that's mostly kneel downs) further makes the stats look worse. Surprisingly, 3 of our 4 RBs are averaging 4+ yards/carry. Wynn averages 4.1. Morency averages 4.0. Grant averages 4.5. (Jackson averages 2.6). That's better than the likes of Ahman Green (3.7) and Marshawn Lynch (3.6).