PDA

View Full Version : Realistic? Doubtful.

4and12to12and4
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Realistic Expectations
October 22, 2007
Written by Joe Arrigo - PackerChatters Staff

The bye week has passed and players are returning from their week "off". Koren Robinson is back but the 5-1 Packers still have a long road to go if they want to reach the playoffs.

The Packers opponent's combined record (after week 7) is 28-30 but Green Bay still has key games against other division leading teams like the Cowboys, Panthers and Chiefs, not to mention 4 games against NFC North rivals (including 2 against Detroit). Also on the schedule are the 0-7 Rams and an improved Raiders team.

The Packers 2nd half of the season starts a week from today against the Denver Broncos in the Mile High city. The Broncos have won 3 games so far this season and all have been via a game winning field goal by Jason Elam, including last nights win vs the Steelers. The Broncos will be without All Pro Javon Walker and have some other key players dinged up, RB Travis Henry (ribs), CB Champ Bailey and TE Tony Scheffler (undisclosed).

If the Packers can beat the Broncos they have 4 very winnable games against the Chiefs, Vikings, Panthers and the Thanksgiving game against the Lions. If the Packers win all 5 games, they would be 10-1 entering the Thursday night game against the Cowboys, who many think are the class of the NFC. They follow the Cowboy game with games against the Raiders, Rams, Bears and Lions. Can a 14-2 or 13-3 season be expected?

In order for the Packers to finish with a record in the "teens" they need to work on a few things starting this week.

1. Run the ball effectively. We all know about the Packers inability to run the football, but the past 2 games the Packers have shown SOME life. DeShawn Wynn has shown early in games he can do it, but the question is can he do it all game? Vernand Morency also has flashed some in the past 2 games he has played in. Brandon Jackson should be ready to go this week and, IF he is active, could provide a spark.

2. Cover the Tight Ends. This has also been a weakness for the Packers all season. Antonio Gates, Chris Cooley, Greg Olsen and all have burned the Packers and the pack still has to defend Tony Gonzalez, Daniel Graham, and Jason Whitten. Brady Poppinga has been a liability in coverage so Bob Sanders and Winston Moss need to find another way to defend the opposing teams Tight Ends.

3. Limit turnovers/Get turnovers. So far this season the Packers haven't been to turnover prone, but in the last 2 games the Packers have turned the ball over 3 times (3 fumbles and 3 interceptions). If they want to win on the road (or any where for that matter) you can not turn the ball over. On that same note, the Packers need to continue to create turnovers and give the offense a "short field"

4. Get the ball in the playmakers hands as often as possible. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Donald Lee, James Jones DeShawn Wynn and yes Koren Robinson need to make plays and that means the ball has to be in their hands. Jennings has shown a knack for getting deep and making big plays. Keep an eye on him, especially if Bailey doesn't play. Robinson's impact should come right away on special teams and in special packages for designed for him.

5. Get going early and finish strong. Against the Bears the Packers started off like gang busters, but failed to finish off the Bears in the 2nd half. I want to see them have that "killer instinct" championship teams have.

6. Stop the run. The Broncos will try to establish the run early and often. The Packers need to continue to play stout run defense.

7. Pressure the QB. KGB, Aaron Kampman, Cullen Jenkins, Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly all have done an outstanding job at doing this, and they need to continue to. But it starts with the Packers Corner Backs (Al Harris and Charles Woodson) who have been playing great pass coverage and allowing the Defensive Ends to get up field and pressure the QB.

8. Stay hungry. The Packers are on the "bottom" of the top teams in most pundants minds. They have to play with the same attitude and swagger they did in the first 6 games and with the same fire. If the defense continue the sure tacking, ball hawking and hard hitting, sky is the limit.

Before the season began I thought 10 wins was a realistic total for the Packers, but after looking at the schedule, barring injury and a complete collapse, I see a 12-13 win team.

Mr. Arrigo has been critisized by many here, because of his "BS" inside sources that never seem to pan out, and now as much as I'd love to believe this article, it's unrealistic to think that we won't have a point in the season where we lose two or three in a row. What's scary about the way the NFC is panning out, is that we may need to be 10-6 AND win some tie-breakers just to make the playoffs. No way does a 9-7 team win the wildcard this year. But we are set up nicely to at least win 10 games. I just wish we could get our damn running game going so that we could be considered legitamite contenders. We are overlooked by just about everyone even though we are 5-1, and we've beat some really good teams. But, until we show some balance in the offense, we won't be taken seriously. Maybe that's a good thing. Stay under the radar, and just keep winning, just like the Colts thanks to the Pats. Beating Denver would go a long way towards us getting into the playoffs. Can you imagine being 6-1? My god, that would be insane. It's been a great season so far, lets get the o-line and Brandon healthy and see what happens.

b bulldog
10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Realistic by Arrigo

Arrigo doesn't know about being realistic. He runs with every rumor out there. I think he had us signing Owens and Mossduring the past two offseasons and he also had us trading up to draft Bush. :oops:

MJZiggy
10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Why is it IF the Packers can beat the Broncos they have 4 winnable games after? Are they less winnable if we don't beat the stupid horses? Are we playing different teams if we lose that game?

4and12to12and4
10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Arrigo is a phony.

retailguy
10-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Arrigo is a phony.

:shock: What about Ms. Cleo? :?: :wink:

BallHawk
10-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Realistic by Arrigo

Arrigo doesn't know about being realistic. He runs with every rumor out there. I think he had us signing Owens and Mossduring the past two offseasons and he also had us trading up to draft Bush. :oops:

JSO had us trading up to draft Bush. :wink:

b bulldog
10-23-2007, 06:54 PM
wHATEVER

superfan
10-23-2007, 07:53 PM
This article isn't too bad, although all of the key points he makes are pretty obvious.

No way does a 9-7 team win the wildcard this year.

I disagree. I still think at least one team 9-7 or worse makes the wildcard.

Guiness
10-24-2007, 02:20 AM
Man, pass me some of that kool-aid...but the incredible thing is that you don't have to drink much of it to believe this!

4 of the next 5 is very do-able, and we'd be at 9-2 :shock: