PDA

View Full Version : Vic Carrucci on Greg Jennings

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 12:23 AM
This is a blurb from an article he did on the 06 WR class:

Another second-rounder that will be looked upon to make an impact by catching the shorter routes and exploding into the open field is Greg Jennings, whom the Green Bay Packers acquired after swapping places in the round with New England.

An NFC personnel man told me that Jennings, from Western Michigan, was soaring up draft boards because of his combination of considerable athletic talent and smarts. Although he might not immediately make anyone forget about Javon Walker, now a Denver Bronco, Jennings seems ideal for the horizontal passing game that new Packers coach Mike McCarthy will employ.

In fact, at one point during the Packers' weekend minicamp, McCarthy did a double take of Jennings' jersey number because he thought he was watching one of his veteran receivers, Donald Driver.

"Greg's doing an excellent job," McCarthy gushed to reporters. "We're very happy with his participation."

GrnBay007
05-09-2006, 12:54 AM
That is good to hear. With Walker gone the WR position is one I worry about. I guess it's time to put our trust in TT. I just don't want to see Favre left with only DD again this season.

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 01:03 AM
There is enough people in there this year that you have to think someone can step into that #2 spot. Will they be JW in 2004 form? No, they won't. Will Andre Thurman be our #3 at any point this offseason? No, he won't.

wist43
05-09-2006, 07:54 AM
When you have just "a bunch of guys", it's a bit of a stretch to think that one of them is just going to "step into" the #2 WR position...

Heck, I would argue that they already have a #2 - Donald Driver. They're problem is finding a #1, 3, and 4.

The Packers receivers aren't going to put fear into anybody - that's for sure.

MJZiggy
05-09-2006, 07:57 AM
I kinda liked it a few years back when there was no sure-fire go-to guy. The defense never knew who to cover because you never knew who they were going to throw to next. If some of these guys can be decent even without being exceptional, we can do a lot of damage in the WCO.

mraynrand
05-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Wist writes:

"Heck, I would argue that they already have a #2 - Donald Driver. They're problem is finding a #1, 3, and 4. "

As Pat Summerall would say in response to everything John Madden uttered: "That's exactly right"

BlueBrewer
05-09-2006, 08:40 AM
When you have just "a bunch of guys", it's a bit of a stretch to think that one of them is just going to "step into" the #2 WR position...

Heck, I would argue that they already have a #2 - Donald Driver. They're problem is finding a #1, 3, and 4.

The Packers receivers aren't going to put fear into anybody - that's for sure.

That is the beauty of the true west coast offense. They dink and dunk the defense until they cheat and then burn them with the deep ball. They have the receivers to execute that offense effectively. Let the team at least play a pre-season game before you right them off

retailguy
05-09-2006, 12:44 PM
That is good to hear. With Walker gone the WR position is one I worry about. I guess it's time to put our trust in TT. I just don't want to see Favre left with only DD again this season.

Well............... Does anybody remember the beginning of the 2002 season? We all thought that we had NOBODY at receiver. Sherman had just traded 45 draft picks for a guy named Terry Glenn (and oh yeah, we "gave" him away the following season :lol:) because even he was convinced that we didn't have adequate receivers.

Then a "nobody" by the name of Donald Driver stepped up, after barely beating out another "nobody" by the name of Charles Lee. Towards the end of the season, Walker also stepped up, and Ferguson began his flirtation with showing promise that continues to this day....

What Favre does do well, is make an average receiver look good. Hell, Bill Shroeder would not have even had a career if it had not been for Brett Favre. I could say the same for Antonio Freeman. Favre CAN, and I think, will make these receivers pretty good. Driver will be fine in the number one role this season, and I think Rod Gardner is going to step it up and be a marginal number 2 and a pretty good number 3. Ferguson will stick for one more season, because there is no one else, and Jennings will begin to be a force by the second half of the season.

Wist, I understand the pessimism, I was there in 2002, but NOT there this year. That probably means the receiving game will stink, but, I don't see doom and gloom here.

Fritz
05-10-2006, 01:07 PM
It's got to be better than last year's corps of receivers after JWalk went down. Heck, my Mom got in for a couple of plays at the Z position during the Seattle game.

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Driver will be fine on the field as long as there is a legitimate 2nd threat on the field so the opposition can't just expect all the throws to go to Donald. How good will Donald be when the defensse has to worry about whether the ball's going to DD, Borigter, Jennings or Lee? Try double teaming him on that set and see how fast they get burned.

Chubbyhubby
05-10-2006, 01:40 PM
:razz: I have a good feeling about this year's crop of recievers. Like the poster said before we are going to use the true west coast offense.. meaning dink and short passes and then a few long balls when the safeties come in. Jennings is the real deal will be a steal along with colledge of the 06 draft. Look for great things for these rooks!

No Mo Moss
05-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Let's not forget Bubba. He can be a threat and he should rebound well after an injury plagued year.

mraynrand
05-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Let's not forget Bubba. He can be a threat and he should rebound well after an injury plagued year.

Here's what Bubba gives you: Bubba catch ball, bubba fall down. Bubba block. Sorry, but Bubba is a threat in the short red sone and is a reliable complimentary player, and that's it. Hopefully Davis can stretch the field but I'm not holding my breath.

Bossman641
05-10-2006, 05:42 PM

Here's what Bubba gives you: Bubba catch ball, bubba fall down. Bubba block. Sorry, but Bubba is a threat in the short red sone and is a reliable complimentary player, and that's it. Hopefully Davis can stretch the field but I'm not holding my breath.

Davis? Rob Davis is gonna play LS AND TE :shock: ? Sweet
You mean Donald Lee?

billy_oliver880
05-10-2006, 06:29 PM

Davis? Rob Davis is gonna play LS AND TE :shock: ? Sweet
You mean Donald Lee?

Maybe he meant David Martin?