PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad she's not my wife...

Kiwon
10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
This struck me as funny.

A robber with a hand gun versus a clerk with an axe and no fear.

"Peace be upon you....as I chop you with an axe." :D

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=7127

oregonpackfan
10-23-2007, 08:28 PM
While her courage has to be admired to some extent, the robber could have easily pulled the trigger and killed her.

Perhaps he was just too shocked to react.

BallHawk
10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah, more often then not she'd end up with a bullet hole lodged in her.

Isn't that normally the first thing that they teach clerks? "If a robber has a gun do what they say"?

LL2
10-25-2007, 04:33 PM
I was robbed by a guy with a knife when I was 20. I was delivering pizzas and I went to the door and the person at the apartment said they didn't order a pizza. As I walked back to my car a guy came running out of a bush and stuck the knife at me. I gave the dude the pizzas, my wallet, watch, and the pizza store money and my tips. It quit the next day. My advise is to give them what they want and leave.

Kiwon
10-25-2007, 06:44 PM
A bad memory, LL2. You did the right thing.

Actually, this video is a good illustration of the "flight or fight" syndrome.

This lady weighs 90 pounds and she is chasing a bigger guy with a handgun that he has already pointed it at her. She isn't thinking, she's reacting.

Now, what would have happened if she connected with that axe a time or two and knocked him down? Would she have stopped or would she had killed him?

People can do nearly anything in crisis situations. It's that unpredictability that makes violence and criminal activity so dangerous. That lady is not a killer but she might have become one in just a few seconds.

The same for that robber. He's no killer either, even when being attacked. You never point a gun at someone if you aren't ready to pull the trigger. Robberies and home invasions are so crazy because you never know how people will react.

The terrible case in Connecticut is a good case in point. Two-bit theives turn into rapists and murderers.

This lady in New York is fortunate to be alive. She should have given the guy the cash and toned things down. Instead, she grabbed an axe and started to swing away. Thank God the guy had the humanity not to pull the trigger.

MJZiggy
10-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Humanity or fear? If he was just using the gun as a tool to get her to do what he wanted and had no intention of using it in the first place then that would explain why he didn't shoot. He never intended to, just expected that when she saw his gun he would do what she wanted.

Kiwon
10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Humanity.

Yhello, that's the point. Things didn't go according to his plan. The clerk failed to comply, reacted as she did and then forced him to make a choice - escalate it or back down. She then forced the issue further by pursuing him. He could have easily responded by pulling the trigger to protect himself at that moment.

Original intentions go out the window when you have someone chasing you with an axe. His reaction showed that he was no killer.

Again, you never point a gun at someone unless you have the guts to shoot. The seriousness of that act is why gun-crimes are in a separate legal category and carry harsher penalities.

MadtownPacker
10-25-2007, 08:22 PM
That lasy did what more poeple need to do to make this a better world.

STAND UP FOR YOUR DAMN SELVES!!

Nothing but props to her.

LL I can understand how things went down and you played your cards right but sometimes getting your $$ isnt enough for some people. THey may also try to rob you of your dignity.

oregonpackfan
10-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I stilll have mixed feelings about this incident. Yes, the woman had all the right to defend herself and hurt the robber to the level of "Extreme Prejudice."

At the same time, the adage "Discretion is the better part of valor" applies. Her money or the store's worth does not merit sacrificing her life.

Bottom line is that I have to side with the law enforcement authorities who recommend to give the robber what he wants.

If you feel your life is threatened even if you turn over the money, however, then fight to the death. No prosecutor is going to charge someone who is just defending him(her)self.

the_idle_threat
10-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Again, you never point a gun at someone unless you have the guts to shoot. The seriousness of that act is why gun-crimes are in a separate legal category and carry harsher penalities.

I don't agree with you here, Kiwon. I think there are plenty of criminals who think the gun itself will be scary enough that they won't have to shoot, and they go in with no real intention of shooting.

Of course, that can change when they are being chased by a victim-turned-aggressor with an axe. They might think they are only shooting in self-defense, although the law will not allow them the legal "out" of self-defense if they initiated the situation in the first place.

That being said, I think she basically did the right thing. I think you have to be smart about it--so if they have you in the crosshairs and there's no opportunity to fight, then you comply until an opportunity arises---but ultimately you have to fight.

Why---especially given the fact that I think some criminals never intended to escalate the situation in the first place? Because otherwise you're leaving your life completely in the hands of someone who is already irrational and inhuman enough to rob you at gunpoint. Sure---you might be dealing with someone who is too scared to actually shoot, but it might also be a psychopath who will shoot you just for looking at his face.

At least if you fight, you're taking your life into your own hands, rather than leaving it in theirs, at their whim.

There is also the factor of deterrence---if you stop them now, then they aren't emboldened to go on a spree---but ultimately my reasoning lies in the first factor. If you give up completely and become their bitch, then they have the option, at their whim, to shoot you for no reason.

Kiwon
10-26-2007, 05:54 AM
In general, I love the fact that this 90 pounder showed no fear and reacted. I am a "fight" first guy myself. However, had this guy been a real badass this brave lady would be dead.

Things are just so unpredictable when people just react. In fact, while this guy might have frozen and not shot, if that lady had a gun rather than an axe, she DEFINITELY would have shot at him. I mean, she's got the guts to chase him around with an axe. She wouldn't have frozen if she had a gun, she would tried to nail him.

People should defend themselves with their hands, with objects. However, when you pull a gun on someone you have to be ready to pull the trigger as well. People will call your bluff. In this case, that gun did not scare the lady into submission. It angered her. She was ready to up the ante.

I have no problem with firearms in the hands of responsible people. But it's a serious thing to point a loaded gun at someone and have his life in your hands. IMHO, the woman had more guts than the robber did, which was very fortunate for her. A psycho hyped up on drugs or alcohol just might have murdered her there on the spot over a few bucks.

Deputy Nutz
10-26-2007, 09:52 AM
So many times these people do what the gun toter asks, and they still get their mother bleepping head blown off, so hell why not yield an axe like you're Jason Vorees?

BallHawk
10-26-2007, 02:08 PM
So many times these people do what the gun toter asks, and they still get their mother bleepping head blown off, so hell why not yield an axe like you're Jason Vorees?

It'd be interesting to see what the ratio is being robberies and robberies where there are shot fired.

Kiwon
10-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Now if you're going to commit a robbery, this is the way to do it....being kind and gentle, from flashing a gun to giving a hug. See, even criminals are nicer if they're Packers fans.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=7239

Scott Campbell
10-27-2007, 06:01 AM
What the hell kind of a weapon is that? If you're going to keep a weapon for defense, make it something better than that silly "ax". I've owned more imposing looking slingshots and polish canons. Sheesh. Stupid.

Don't bring an ax to a gun fight.