PDA

View Full Version : Favre - No concerns he's lost his ZIP

GrnBay007
10-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Favre says he can still make deep throws

Associated Press
Updated: October 24, 2007, 9:05 AM ET

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre's playful challenge was direct.

If you think he's losing zip on his trademark passes that have broken receivers' fingers throughout his career, try catching a few yourself.

"It's a matter of opinion, but I challenge you to come out and catch a couple for me afterwards. You make that decision," a grinning Favre said Tuesday.

It was the first time Favre talked publicly since the Packers beat Washington 17-14 on Oct. 14. Favre had his worst game of the season, going 19-for-37 for 188 yards with two interceptions.

The Packers play the Denver Broncos on Monday night, but most of the questions revolved around the three-time MVP's performance nine days ago after he underthrew his two deep passes to receivers, who didn't help him much by failing to come back to the ball and allowing Sean Taylor to intercept both attempts.

"I can honestly say that in my career it hasn't happened many times ... I thought it was actually going to be overthrown and it ended up 10 yards shorter than where I had intended," Favre said. "Why? I have no idea."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy dismissed the notion that Favre might be losing his fastball. He said that Favre made a 55- to 60-yard completion in stride during practice this week.

"He has plenty of arm strength left," McCarthy said.

The NFL's career touchdowns and interceptions leader said he's not sure why he struggled.

"I know I can throw further than that and I know I can throw harder, but for whatever reason that day, it was, I don't want to say a misjudgment or a miscalculation on my part, I just threw it," Favre said. "Did I misjudge Sean Taylor's range? Eh, I still think had the ball ended up where I wanted it to, or where I thought it was going, I think we're OK. But, that's not happened to me very often."

McCarthy also said that he's not paying attention that his team is not considered among the NFL's elite despite its 5-1 record.

"I really don't care what other people think of us. It's really a viewpoint I share with the football team often," McCarthy said. "Perception a lot of times is not reality, and that's what we focus on. Once again, we're six games into this season. We're not interested in being judged after six games. We understand it's a long journey."

Favre has been the biggest reason why the Packers are winning. He's averaging more than 41 attempts a game and is completing 64.8 percent of his passes for 1,715 yards passing with nine touchdowns and six interceptions.

Favre also said he didn't do much to help beat the Redskins. Green Bay needed a 57-yard fumble return by Charles Woodson for the go-ahead score.

"Had nothing to do with me," Favre said. "When I watched the film, I was very unimpressed with the way I played."

In fact, Favre even took back a little bit of credit he gave to the Redskins' defense immediately after the game.

"They still played well, but I missed some throws," he said. "I was just off."

Favre said that even though he didn't play well, the Packers did win, and he knows some games are decided by only a few plays, like when he threw a pass intercepted by Brian Urlacher. The Bears trailed by 10 points midway through the third quarter, but scored 17 consecutive points after Urlacher's play to hand Green Bay its only loss.

"Sometimes you can have 10 bad plays and win and sometimes you can be great and have one bad play and it costs you. You never know," Favre said. "For all of us, consistency is the No. 1 thing we're looking to achieve week in and week out. And we haven't got to that point yet."

But one thing Favre said remains consistent is his ability to throw the ball deep, even if he struggled against Washington.

"Don't write some story that he's at the end of his rope now, he can't throw it," Favre said. "That's probably what you're getting at: Favre's done."

He then issued his challenge, and got the last word in edgewise, too, as he left the podium.

"It was just one game."

The Leaper
10-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Favre has been poor during his career in deep throws because he's usually had undersized or average speed receivers through the majority of his career. As the CBs have gotten bigger, Favre's receivers seem to keep getting smaller. Outside of Walker, Favre hasn't had a starting caliber receiver with size and jump ball ability at any other point in his career...which is odd when you consider that most NFL teams have at least one of those guys in their top 3 WRs.

Bossman641
10-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Maybe Favre hasn't miscalculated his deep passes much during his career. But according to statistics provided by STATS LLC, Favre has never been a very good deep passer.

In passes thrown from 1 to 30 yards in the air (yards after the catch are not included), Favre's numbers meet or exceed the league averages this season and throughout his career.

But in passes that travel beyond 30 yards, Favre has consistently been below average.

This season, Favre has completed 11.1% of his passes from 31-40 yards, which is down from his 19.9% career average. In 2006, NFL quarterbacks completed 25.7% of passes in that range.

Beyond 40 yards, Favre's numbers drop off even more: He hasn't connected on one since 2005 and is 0 for 13 the past two years. The NFL average is 23.7%.

Favre just does not throw the deep ball very well. He is excellent on the shorter stuff where he can just drill it in there but he never gets the touch down on the long stuff. He either puts way too much air under it, or just misses the target with a overthrow or underthrow.

Please don't give me the line about the receivers needing to go up and take the ball away. Yes, that has happened but there have also been plenty of times where the receivers have had steps and Favre misses them.

I think Brady throws one of the nicest deep balls I've seen. Yes, he has Moss now, but even before that he always seemed to get the right amount of touch on it.

Carolina_Packer
10-24-2007, 09:39 AM
It depends on what you mean by deep throws. A deep line drive? A deep rainbow? The more air any QB gets under their throws, the more likely it's going to disrupt the timing of a route/play and give the DB a chance to cover better. I think he just got some air under those throws. I think he can still throw the dart, laser, bb, call it what you want.

As for the size of receivers, that is true. Sometimes it wouldn't matter how tall or strong the receiver is, if it's a bad ball, it's a bad ball. You just hope it falls down harmlessly.

As for the throws against the Skins that got picked, do you think the receivers could have/should have made the adjustments to how the ball was thrown? I think Jennings was in the best position to fight for the ball between the one thrown to him and Jones. I thought the one thrown to Jones was more underthrown.

RashanGary
10-24-2007, 10:19 AM
That's the first time I've seen Favre defensive about his arm. Hmmm. . . Is the end near?

OK, I'm just stirring shit because I see Favre underthrowing balls (unlike Brady, Manning, et al) and I know how people are going to get defensive like he is their son, husband or brother.

Favres arm looked below average a week ago. I wonder if there is some damage.

MadtownPacker
10-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I know how people are going to get defensive like he is their son, husband or brother.You mean like how you get about Ted Thompson?

Any nobody who follows the NFL knows the Favre era is near an end. He wont play for more then 1-2 years tops. I think this was just Favre's shitty game which his always seems have 1 or 2 every season. Luckily the team is good enough to win still. About damn time if you ask me.

retailguy
10-24-2007, 11:22 AM
I know how people are going to get defensive like he is their son, husband or brother.You mean like how you get about Ted Thompson?

:shock: QFT..... :P

MadtownPacker
10-24-2007, 11:26 AM

:shock: QFT..... :P..and like how you get about the Packers being 5-1? :D

Carolina_Packer
10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
That's the first time I've seen Favre defensive about his arm. Hmmm. . . Is the end near?

OK, I'm just stirring shit because I see Favre underthrowing balls (unlike Brady, Manning, et al) and I know how people are going to get defensive like he is their son, husband or brother.

Whoa, Mad, giving it to JH and RG!

JH, I've read a few of your posts. Are you getting down on Favre, up on Rodgers, or what? Seems like if you were McCarthy's advisor, you'd tell him to bench Favre this week. That's tough sledding. The guy would have to be pretty bad off not to go, which is the downside of his toughness, competetiveness. When is he going to just say, nope, I can't go this week. He's a warrior; it's not in his make-up. Coaches will have an interesting decision if he really is hurt, and not just nicked up.

mraynrand
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
0-13 in throws over 40 yards?

Let's see, that's pretty bad, isn't it? But wait - 13 attempts over 40 - that's very few - now why is THAT? Could it be that since 2004 Favre has had 1) a very poor offensive line - especially at guard, 2) A very poor receiving corps - including an injury decimated crew in 2005 and a collection of raw rookies in 2006 and 2007 and 3) a Coach who believes in the short game. Thirteen throws - it shouldn't be too difficult to go to those thirteen plays and see how open receivers were, what kind of protection Favre got, etc. Sure, some of it will be due to Favre's arm being perhaps a little weaker and some due to an average deep ball, but I'll bet a lot of it has to do with receivers not really being open or Favre getting pressure on 7 step drops.

Partial
10-24-2007, 03:47 PM

I don't think he got defensive as much as saying shut up and don't be stupid.

4and12to12and4
10-24-2007, 05:00 PM
He wasn't defensive at all, hell, he challenged the reporters to catch his passes after his interview. That was classic. And by the way, if one of them would've took him up on that, they would've had bruised ribs afterwards (their hands would be ok, cuz they wouldn't even get 'em near the ball). Favre has had bad days throughout his career where he under or over throws the ball, and its usually when he does put air under it. His perfect long throw is when he still puts zip into it and keeps just a touch of a line to it, and he can throw those as good as any QB. Hell, Brady gets all this glory and attention this year, and he underthrew Moss twice "technically". Moss was standing still in the endzone and two guys were in just as good if not better position to catch his pass, but Moss went up and got it. Then, right before halftime, he overthrew Moss and Moss made a one handed snare just out of the end zone. He was open by a step, but Brady overthrew it. If not for the other extraordinary catches, and runs after the catch (see Stallworth) Brady sucks. :wink:
By the way, if Driver wouldv'e done that against the Bears, we might be 6-0 right now, and that was a hail mary that landed perfectly in the middle of the endzone, DD didn't even have to move to catch it, he just had to stand there and jump, so don't tell me Favre can't launch it where he wants it.

The truth is that Favre really hasn't had the type of receiver to just go get it, and even when he did (Javon) he still didn't rely on that type of pass much BECAUSE he KNOWS he can throw it between the numbers up to 20+ yards on a rope. His arm strength has actually allowed him to not have to throw the air ball much. But, just as he was realizing the weapon he had with Javon and the jump ball, he got hurt and that was that. I believe that Ruvell Martin can be that kind of receiver. I just wish we'd get him out there more. Think of how good he and Holiday were against the Bears last year when they got their ONE shot at being one and two for a whole game. Martin can be a spectacular downfield threat, and if he gets the opportunity, it's gonna happen.

This is evidence of why Brett's getting shit on, and Brady's getting HOF numbers this year: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/10/24/stat_worth_yakking_about/

RashanGary
10-24-2007, 05:28 PM

Any nobody who follows the NFL knows the Favre era is near an end. He wont play for more then 1-2 years tops. I think this was just Favre's shitty game which his always seems have 1 or 2 every season. Luckily the team is good enough to win still. About damn time if you ask me.

Now why do you have to go and bring that up?

:) I have no choice but to own that one. SHIT!!

Merlin
10-24-2007, 06:27 PM
I think what is being overlooked here is it was ONE GAME. Historically, the Packers have not gone deep with Favre under center very often. When I watch other teams throw the deep ball, the WR is WIDE OPEN by 10 yards or so. When was the last time any of our receivers was that wide open? We just don't have the deep ball type WR on our roster. Martin has the size but lacks the speed, Driver & Jennings have the speed but not the size. Even Walker was never that wide open. What it may come down to is coaching and nothing more. The WCO does not rely on throwing the deep ball. Our coaching since Favre came here was deigned around that offensive philosophy. That isn't to say that we don't ever go deep but we also don't rely on that as our core offense. I would take Favre over any other QB in the history of the game throwing any slant, short, medium and deep. When we get the coaching that teaches our WR to get open deep then it will be there, until then, every deep ball is a hail mary. When Favre does hit a deep route it's usually a rocket into double coverage for a reception. when the ball starts to sail on him, forget it, it isn't going to be a very good pass.

MateoInMex
10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
I get that reporters have to ask the pressing questions. I blogged something this morning on the JSOnline Blog referring to whoever asked Brett Favre the questions regarding his longball. We all know #4 makes mistakes from time to time, but if Greg Debard would have watched the plays, he would have noticed that Favre was throwing off balance. I guess his questions sell papers.

MateoInMex
Is this one of the reasons local yokel reporters have had difficulty over the years getting Brett Favre interviews while Peter King and ESPN have exclusive rights?

I wonder if this guy sat up all night thinking, "Okay, I have watched the game highlights a bunch of times and noticed that #4's picks were thrown off balance to the opposite side of the field, but I'm gonna throw common sense aside and get a story, man!"

He sat in front of the mirror, practicing his questions with the ROCKY theme music humming in the background. Duh nah nuh, duh nah nuh...At the presser were all the huge domineering scribes of Wisconsin Sports media . .Michael Hunt, Lori Nickel, the college writer from UW-Milwaukee.

(Other reporters hear this guy mumbling under his breath) "Red leather, yellow leather, red leather yellow leather, Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled . .ESPN DREAM JOB, WITHIN MY REACH BABEE!

"Hey Brett, why were those passes underthrown?"

Allow me to superimpose a line from Brett Favre in the movie "There's Something About Mary" . ." Ugh, I was off balance shaking defenders you dumb***."

Nice try anyway.

October 26, 2007 9:55 AM

The Shadow
10-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Favre has never been very good at arcing the deep ball.
He is maybe the best ever at the 30 yard frozen rope.

Merlin
10-26-2007, 06:29 PM
I agree with that Shadow, I think though he could toss a 40-50 yard rope anytime. It just drives me nuts when he floats it up there with the arm he has.