PDA

View Full Version : Post Mini-Camp (1) Roster

gbpackfan
05-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Here is a projected 53 man roster for the 2006 Packers. I know it is early but it is always fun to see how the roster actually looks come Sept. compared to projected rosters through out the offseason. Players are added based on mini-camp reports and prior play with the team. NOT A DEPTH CHART!

QB (3)
Favre
Rodgers
Martin

RB (3)
Green
Gado
Davenport

FB (2)
Henderson
Leach or Cooper or Brown - This should be a nice battle to watch in camp.

TE (3)
Franks
Lee
Martin

WR (6) - MM said at mini-camp that he is looking at keeping 6 WRs.
Driver
Gardner
Fergie
Boerigter
Jennings
Rodgers or Lucas

OL (9)
Tauscher
Colledge
Wells
Coston
Clifton
Klemm
Spitz
White
Barry

S (4)
Collins
Manual
Roman
Boger or Underwood or Culver - Another great battle

CB (5)
Woodson
Harris
Carroll
Hawkins
Blackmon

LB (5)
Barnett
Hawk
Taylor
Hodge
Manning
(Popps on pup list)

DL (10)
Pickett
Allen
Jenkins
KGB
Montgomery
Kampman
Williams
Cole
Jolly or Peterson
Toellefson or Hunter

K (1)
Cundiff

P (1)
Ryan

LS (1)
Davis

This adds up to 53 players. Whitticker, Washington, and Sanders are among those who will be cut.

Practice Squad (5)
Tony Moll, T
Arliss Beach, RB
Zac Alcorn, TE
Leo Bookman, WR
Montez Murphy, DE

Let me know what you think, who should be in and should be out?

RashanGary
05-09-2006, 10:12 AM
I don't know why everyone is just assuming Jennings is near the bottom of the depth chart. He's made more impressive plays in his first 3 day mini-camp with no knowledge of the offense or continuity with the quarterback.

There are many recievers who need time to learn the system in the NFL. There are however polished recievers like Anquan Boldin a few years back. Jennings is very experienced and polished. He has top notch ball skills that you cannot teach. He is fast, explosive and has a great work ethic according to reports.

Gardner has done near nothing in 3 years. He looks out of shape to me. He's just not an explosive weapon IMO. I think Jennings is a bigger threat and quite honestly, just a better player. Ferguson would have to do something completely different than what he's done for the last 4 or 5 years. You don't really change a zebra's stripes. I just think Jennings has a good shot to win the job and will probably be pretty close to as good as Driver right away.

It doesn't hurt that the offense is starting over from scratch. He has a chacne to get in on the bottom floor. Unless Ferguson really impresses, I think Jennings could win the job.

BF4MVP
05-09-2006, 10:25 AM
FB (2)
Henderson
Leach or Cooper - This should be a nice battle to watch in camp.

What about Ben Brown?

He put up some impressive numbers:

Brown, a 6-foot-1, 246-pound fullback from Tabor College in Hillsboro, Kansas, helped the Blue Jays to a 2005 conference championship and a berth in the second round of the NAIA playoffs. The rookie from Los Banos, Calif., played in 12 games last season, rushing for 507 yards on 77 carries (6.6 avg.) and three touchdowns. He also caught 24 passes for 304 yards (12.7 avg.) and two TDs.

MadtownPacker
05-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Nice lineup GBPackfan. Looks like a playoff team to me.

OS PA
05-09-2006, 10:40 AM
QB-3
Brett Favre
Aaron Rodgers
Ingle Martin

RB-3
Ahman Green
Samkon Gado
Najeh DavenportI could see him battle for the starting FB spot after Henderson

FB-2
William Henderson
Vonta LeachDrop Leach and have Davenport spell Henderson could be a possibilty

TE
Bubba Franks
Donald Lee
David Martinif 9 OL cut

WR-7
Donald Driver
Robert Ferguson
Greg Jennings
Rod Gardner
Cory Rodgers
Chad Lucas or Boerigter
Leo Bookman

OL-8 or 9dependant on Verba
Mark Tauscher
Junius Coston and/or Ross Verba
Scott Wells
Daryn Colledge
Chad Clifton
Jason Spitz or Chris Whiteother on practice squad
Kevin Barry
William Wittakercut if Verba signs

S-4
Nick Collins
Marquand Manuel
Mark Roman or Tyrone Culver
Marviel Underwood

CB-5
Al Harris
Charles Woodson
Ahmad Carrol
Mike Hawkins
Wil Blackmon

LB-6
A.J. Hawk
Abdul Hodge
Nick Barnett
Ben Taylor
Roy Manning
Brady Poppinga

DL-9Dependant upon Jackson
Aaron Kampman
Ryan Pickett
Cullen Jenkins or Grady Jackson
KGB
Will Montgomery
Colin Cole
Cullen Jenkinsif Jackson or Kendrick Allenif not Jackson
Corey Williams
Kenny Peterson

K-1
Billy Cundiff

P-1
Jon Ryan

LS-1
Rob Davis

gbpackfan
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't know why everyone is just assuming Jennings is near the bottom of the depth chart. He's made more impressive plays in his first 3 day mini-camp with no knowledge of the offense or continuity with the quarterback.

There are many recievers who need time to learn the system in the NFL. There are however polished recievers like Anquan Boldin a few years back. Jennings is very experienced and polished. He has top notch ball skills that you cannot teach. He is fast, explosive and has a great work ethic according to reports.

Gardner has done near nothing in 3 years. He looks out of shape to me. He's just not an explosive weapon IMO. I think Jennings is a bigger threat and quite honestly, just a better player. Ferguson would have to do something completely different than what he's done for the last 4 or 5 years. You don't really change a zebra's stripes. I just think Jennings has a good shot to win the job and will probably be pretty close to as good as Driver right away.

It doesn't hurt that the offense is starting over from scratch. He has a chacne to get in on the bottom floor. Unless Ferguson really impresses, I think Jennings could win the job.

Yeah, I probably should have said something in my post. THIS IS NOT A DEPTH CHART. It just shows the players who I believe will make the team. I agree that Jennings could challenge for some serious playing time.

gbpackfan
05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
FB (2)
Henderson
Leach or Cooper - This should be a nice battle to watch in camp.

What about Ben Brown?

He put up some impressive numbers:

Brown, a 6-foot-1, 246-pound fullback from Tabor College in Hillsboro, Kansas, helped the Blue Jays to a 2005 conference championship and a berth in the second round of the NAIA playoffs. The rookie from Los Banos, Calif., played in 12 games last season, rushing for 507 yards on 77 carries (6.6 avg.) and three touchdowns. He also caught 24 passes for 304 yards (12.7 avg.) and two TDs.

Yeah, I'll put Brown in that battle. Good call.

MadtownPacker
05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Cool that both of you have Culver possibly earning a roster spot. He was the QB of the Fresno State defense. Very smart guy. Of course Im just being a homer about it. :mrgreen:

gbpackfan
05-09-2006, 10:48 AM
OS PA,

I dont think you are going to be able hide SPITZ or WHITE on the practice squad. These players are basically FA that can sign with another team (active roster) at any time. So I believe both will be on the 53 man roster.

Also, I can't see them keeping 7 wide receivers. That is just too many. I believe 6 is the right number.

The Packers could keep only 3 real safeties knowing that C-Wood could move over in a pinch. He said at mini-camp that he would be willing to play S or CB. Now, I know we dont want to do that but it could work if it had to be done.

Also, I just don't see Davenport moving to FB. But, I am not a coach, so we will see.

Gravy is not on the Packers radar at this point. Don't hold out too much hope that he is coming back.

Verba was already in town and was not signed. I believe the MJS wrote that TT does not plan to sign him.

Whitticker is good as gone. He is nothing special anyway and shows how truely pathetic we were at G last year.

Great feedback though. Thanks.

gbpackfan
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Cool that both of you have Culver possibly earning a roster spot. He was the QB of the Fresno State defense. Very smart guy. Of course Im just being a homer about it. :mrgreen:

Underwood better work his a** off and show something this offseason because Boger and Culver are breathing down his neck! I would love to see Culver or Boger take Underwood's spot. He was HORRIBLE last year in coverage.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree with your original lineup. Of course, there will be surprise cuts that nobody anticipates.

Tarlam!
05-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I agree with your original lineup. Of course, there will be surprise cuts that nobody anticipates.

May the best 53-man squad represent the G&G, not the one's we ought to take because of capology or draftology.

I hope TT has the balls to admit any mistakes (Whittiker, anyone?).

Joemailman
05-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I have 2 possible changes with gbpackfan's roster. If Verba signs, either Klemm or Barry goes. Also, I think Rodgers makes the team as a returner, if not as a receiver. Boerigter will have to beat out Lucas to make the team.

BooHoo
05-09-2006, 02:26 PM

May the best 53-man squad represent the G&G, not the one's we ought to take because of capology or draftology.

I hope TT has the balls to admit any mistakes (Whittiker, anyone?).

May Whittiker stays and Barry goes. Depends upon how they perform under the new system. I don't know if Barry is that aguile.

Guiness
05-09-2006, 02:55 PM
No mention of Chad Lucas anywhere. He's playing well in NFLE (I know, I know...) and I can see him making the squad.

I'm surprised everyone thinks David Martin is going to make it. In my mind, he lost his job to Lee last year, and the Pack will keep a younger guy, who can contribute on STs around.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2006, 03:04 PM
The original roster posted has Lucas mentioned. He's a longshot. It's NFLE, and they just drafted two wideouts to go along with Driver, Gardner, Ferguson, and Boerigter.

Harlan Huckleby
05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I believe in the power of positive thinking. It's time for EVERYONE to pencil-in Jennings as the #2 WR. Face north and visualize success.

Joemailman
05-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Harlan,

My computer is against a northern wall, so I am always facing north when on this forum. However, I still think Gardner's size probably makes him a better fit at flanker than Jennings. Jennings will get a lot of opportunities though.

The more I think about it, the more I think Fergy may be let go if he can't crack the top 3. Why keep around a guy who has never proven anything, when you can keep a young guy like Lucas or Bookman?

Harlan Huckleby
05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Fergy is damn good covering punts and kickoffs, I hope he stays on the team - and the bench.

gbpackfan
05-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Fergie will be back in '06 and will def. not be cut. Fergie has experience and the Pack will take a 2+ million dollar cap hit if he is released. Fergie is here to stay. The ONLY way he gets cut is if the Packers bring in another vet via a trade.

NFLE is a completely diff. game. Lucas will battle for a spot but it will be the 5th or 6th WR, not a starter.

Garder and Driver would look real nice on the outside with Jennings in the slot. Fergie and Boerigter will look good coming in on 4 and 5 WR sets.