PDA

View Full Version : The Harrell pick, from Denver's perspective

packers11
10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
The Harrell pick, from Denver's perspective
Here's something to consider, especially for everyone who criticized Packers General Manager Ted Thompson for taking defensive tackle Justin Harrell with the 16th overall pick in April's draft:

The Denver Broncos probably would have taken Harrell with the very next selection. With Harrell off the board, the Broncos took Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss at No. 17.

"We were trying to decide with direction we were going to go," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said today during a conference call with reporters who cover the Packers. "We had Harrell, and we had Jarvis. We were kind of split, but we liked Harrell a lot."

So the Packers weren't the only team unafraid of Harrell's injury history after playing only three games during his final season at Tennessee due to a torn biceps tendon.

"He was a man amongst boys," Shanahan said. "He had everything you look for a in defensive tackle."

Harrell was inactive the first four games this season in large part because he was a non-factor during the preseason and was probably the fifth-best defensive tackle on the Packers' roster. He got his first shot to play on Oct. 7 against Chicago after Colin Cole sustained a concussion in practice that week and was inactive. In the two games in which he has dressed, Harrell has played 20 total snaps.

"Anytime you don't go through a full offseason program, especially as a young guy, and you don't get the reps, I think you judge a guy like that next year," Shanahan said. "It's really hard to judge a player that doesn't go through the OTAs and doesn't get a full dose of what it's about.
"We had Trevor Pryce, and his first year he hardly played for us and ended up being a Pro-Bowl player. I think those defensive linemen, if you get them to play the first year, it's a bonus. Usually the second year, you find out if you've got something or not."

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com
posted by PackersNews.com at 5:21 PM | 0 Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bretsky
10-24-2007, 08:05 PM
We've ranted and raved about this several times

Denver stated right after the draft they were committed to getting one of three DL. When GB picked two were left on the board. After Green Bay's pick they traded up to get the last one left. It was clear to them Moss was not going to fall that far so they made it happen. I think Adam Carraeker was the 3rd DL they wanted. We have no idea about the order.

They never said what order they preferred any of the DL in, but it's probably safe that Carraeker was #1 as he was considered better by most reports.

I've never bought for a second GB could have waited til round 2 to get Harrell. That was a load of BS.

Denver had some interest in him and were hoping one of these guys would fall to them at 24.

I could care less whether Denver liked him or not

Maybe they were both right on about him and maybe they were both completely wrong. Time will tell.

Brando19
10-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Greg A. Bedard, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers DL Justin Harrell (leg) suffered a left leg injury during the team's practice Tuesday, Oct. 23. He had to be taken to the trainer's room on a cart and the severity of the injury is not known.

I guess the injuries continue on with Harrell?

Bretsky
10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Greg A. Bedard, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers DL Justin Harrell (leg) suffered a left leg injury during the team's practice Tuesday, Oct. 23. He had to be taken to the trainer's room on a cart and the severity of the injury is not known.

I guess the injuries continue on with Harrell?

No loss to this squad; even when he was out there he wasn't really playing any better than Cole. Hopefully he's good next year. Time will tell.

b bulldog
10-25-2007, 04:51 PM
oLD NEWS IN REGARDS TO THE bRONCOS and Harrell.

RashanGary
10-25-2007, 05:43 PM
The man amongst boys comment is how Harrell played in college. He might never turn out as a pro because of injury or whatever, but he was a hell of a college football player, a real force. (based on the small amounts of footage I was able to see)

cheesner
10-25-2007, 05:53 PM
They never said what order they preferred any of the DL in, but it's probably safe that Carraeker was #1 as he was considered better by most reports.

Actually, most reports and pundits had Alan Branch, as the top rated DL in the draft last year, even though no GMs agreed and he lasted into the 2nd round. From the USA today rookie report, he has done nothing so far.

b bulldog
10-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Actually the highst rated DL in the draft from what I read was the DE from Arkansas who went to Atlanta.

b bulldog
10-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Actually I was wrong, Gaines Adams was first with Jamaal Anderson second in terms of Dlinemen.