View Full Version : JS""RB STILL SORE SPOT""

Bretsky
10-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Notes: Running back remains sore spot
Wynn joins list of ailing players
By GREG A. BEDARD
gbedard@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 23, 2007

Green Bay - Even the bye week couldn't improve the Green Bay Packers' injury woes at running back.
DeShawn Wynn, the team's leading rusher, sat out practice Tuesday with what coach Mike McCarthy called a "neck spasm."

Wynn said he pulled a muscle lifting weights and it stiffened sitting in team meetings. Wynn said the injury was nothing to be concerned about.

But for a unit that has had problems with injuries and other issues since the first day of training camp - when projected starter Vernand Morency hurt his left knee - Wynn's injury is just another nuisance.

"You can't control that part of it, you just wish for the best," running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. "Guys are doing what they can as far as rehabbing and trying to take care of their bodies. We just have to continue to work through the injuries. It might be that way the entire season."

Ryan Grant took a majority of the first-team snaps in practice. Rookie Brandon Jackson, who started the first three games, is still getting up to speed after being inactive the past three games with a shin injury. And the Packers' five days off did little to improve Morency's recovery.

"He's still coming out of it," Bennett said. "I think he's doing everything he can."

Wynn's pain in the neck is just another in a long list of issues he's had to deal with. He missed most of training camp with a quadriceps injury, left after one series against the Chicago Bears because of dehydration and had to leave against the Washington Redskins after injuring his hand.

Even before Wynn's latest setback, McCarthy wanted to see him exhibit more durability.

"He gets nicked a couple times during the course of the game, comes in and out," McCarthy said. "I'd like to see him fight through that."
Some scouts questioned Wynn's toughness coming out of the University of Florida, and that might have played a factor in him lasting until the seventh round of the draft.

Bennett said he had no problems with Wynn in that area.

"I see the toughness in him during pass protection and when it's time to go fight," Bennett said. "The big thing on this level is you have to be consistent and dependable."

Harrell injured
The Packers got a scare at the end of practice when first-round pick Justin Harrell went down with a left leg injury and had to be taken by cart to the trainer's room.

The severity of the injury is not known. One player said Harrell "bumped" his leg "pretty good" but did not suffer a knee injury.

Harrell, who was active the past two games, was in the trainer's room during the locker room session open to reporters.

Favre on McGee
Only long snapper Rob Davis and quarterback Brett Favre played in games broadcast by the late Max McGee, the former Packers receiver who passed away Saturday at the age of 75.

Favre fondly remembered McGee, who was the team's color commentator from 1979-'98.

"It's a tragic thing that happened with Max," Favre said. "I saw a clip last night where (current color commentator) Larry (McCarren) was talking about how funny Max was. My times around him, I would agree.

"(McGee) will go down as one of the all-time favorites. Certain players have become icons and Max was one of those guys."

Services for McGee will be at 3 p.m. Sunday at Grace Church in Eden Prairie, Minn.

In lieu of flowers, memorials are preferred to the Max McGee National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes c/o Children's Hospital Foundation, M.S. 3050, P.O. Box 1997, Milwaukee, WI 53201.

b bulldog
10-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Harrell injured, go figure and Wynn is just a huge wuss.