PDA

View Full Version : Marion Barber to be a RFA

digitaldean
10-25-2007, 07:51 PM
NOTHING IMMINENT FOR MARION

As the media focuses on the question of when and if the Dallas Cowboys will extend the contract of quarterback Tony Romo, another guy to watch in this regarding is running back Marion Barber.

Barber's rookie contract will expire after the season, and we're hearing that there is no effort toward any type of an extension.

Barber will be eligible for restricted free agency. But while G.M. Jerry Jones can protect Romo from being pilfered in exchange for two first-round draft picks by using the exclusive version of the franchise tag, no such device is available to keep Barber on the team.

The most the Cowboys can do is apply the highest possible tender offer, which will fix the compensation at a first-round pick and a third-round pick.

For a team that picks in the bottom half of the 32 teams, it might be very tempting to give up the picks and put on paper a poison pill offer sheet that guarantees every penny of a $50 million contract if he plays at least four games with a silver helmet bearing a blue star on his head.

The Packers, for example, would be an ideal destination. And the higher Green Bay climbs in the postseason, the more attractive it will be for the team to give up a couple of their picks.

As to the Cowboys, their other top-level running back (Julius Jones) will be an unrestricted free agent after the season. But it could be that Jones wants to see where that first-round pick he pilfered from the Browns for Brady Quinn lands on the board, since Jones might opt to let Jones walk and to take the extra picks for Barber if Jones thinks he can land Darren McFadden.
______

I doubt TT would be willing to trade the almighty draft pick for a guy like Barber.

Would he be worth it? Maybe. He hits the hole hard and with decent speed.

Any thoughts???

b bulldog
10-25-2007, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't give a 1 and a 3 for him, no way in heck.

Rastak
10-25-2007, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't give a 1 and a 3 for him, no way in heck.

That is awfully steep, although he is pretty damn solid.....

digitaldean
10-25-2007, 07:58 PM
To be honest, I'd trade to get Darren McFadden. It'd be pretty steep, he's sure to be a top 5 pick.

b bulldog
10-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Keep the picks and sign a UFA in the offseason. An offseason where we would acquire Turner to fill our RB position, a first round pick at the corner position and maybe a talented TE in round two would be very nice.

Rastak
10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
To be honest, I'd trade to get Darren McFadden. It'd be pretty steep, he's sure to be a top 5 pick.

A trade like that might cost a whole lotta picks....would TT even consider that?

Carolina_Packer
10-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Probably not.

Hey, look at some of the other talent out there. Graham Harrell for TCU...wowser on the stats. Colt Brennan who? Hey, if we drafted this guy, we could have two drafts in a row with a guy named Harrell.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics

Felix Jones looks like he splits a lot of carries with McFadden. I haven't seen DMac this year, but when I saw him last year, I thought he was a stud. I don't think he's as good as Adrian Peterson, but I'd take him!

Brando19
10-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Steve Slaton of WVU will probably enter this year's draft. He'd be worth a 1st round pick. He isn't the biggest back, but he's got some good moves and he's quick.
As for Marion Barber, if the Packers do go deep in the Post season...and Brett comes back...I don't see a problem with going after him. He's a heck of a RB!

Partial
10-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Steve Slaton of WVU will probably enter this year's draft. He'd be worth a 1st round pick. He isn't the biggest back, but he's got some good moves and he's quick.
As for Marion Barber, if the Packers do go deep in the Post season...and Brett comes back...I don't see a problem with going after him. He's a heck of a RB!

I like Slaton as a player a lot. I don't know that he's an NFL player, though. I'd prefer Ray Rice. He's more of a work horse.

Brando19
10-25-2007, 08:45 PM

I like Slaton as a player a lot. I don't know that he's an NFL player, though. I'd prefer Ray Rice. He's more of a work horse.

Although I'm a big WVU and Slaton fan...I can see where you're coming from.

BallHawk
10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Michael Turner would be great.

MadtownPacker
10-25-2007, 09:11 PM
I wonder what the chances of getting barber this past off season would have been. What would it have took? For whatever stupid reason dallas give jones the start at RB even when he dont do shit. Seems like they dont like something about him. Barber is a hard runner like Ahman was. If he can be had in 08 then it should get done because he is the exact type of player to go after.

RashanGary
10-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Darren McFadden will not make it out of the top 3. No way do teams pass on an AP caliber running back two years in a row.

BF4MVP
10-25-2007, 10:38 PM
McFadden isn't even the best runningback on his own team, IMO. He could be college football's most overrated player..Get Felix Jones!

Lurker64
10-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Is it even a given that McFadden is coming out this year? I mean, it's not like he doesn't have incentives to come back. He's not going to win the Heisman this year and he's not going to win a championship this year, but next year? Who knows.

Guys have been known to stay for their senior year even if they could end up getting drafted pretty high, you know. If I was McFadden, my mind would be a long way from made up on this issue. For one, look at who's going to be picking high in the draft next year before you decide whether to stay or go.

Carolina_Packer
10-25-2007, 10:41 PM
McFadden isn't even the best runningback on his own team, IMO. He could be college football's most overrated player..Get Felix Jones!

I only know he runs with DMAC. Who would you compare FJ to that is currently in the NFL?

Guiness
10-25-2007, 11:06 PM
I can't believe the NFL hasn't done something about the poison pill...and I'm incredibly surprised no one has used it since Minnesota and Seattle.

What the exclusive version of the franchise tag? First I've heard of that.

VegasPackFan
10-26-2007, 12:18 AM
One of the reasons why I love this site:

Already talking draft and off-season moves 6 games into the season.

Joemailman
10-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Is it even a given that McFadden is coming out this year? I mean, it's not like he doesn't have incentives to come back. He's not going to win the Heisman this year and he's not going to win a championship this year, but next year? Who knows.

Guys have been known to stay for their senior year even if they could end up getting drafted pretty high, you know. If I was McFadden, my mind would be a long way from made up on this issue. For one, look at who's going to be picking high in the draft next year before you decide whether to stay or go.

Every mock draft I've seen has McFadden going in the top 6 and being the first RB taken. If accurate, that will be enough to get him to declare for the NFL. Matt Leinart came back for his senior year even though he could have been a high pick after his junior year, and he lost millions. Nobody wants to be the next Leinart.

Guiness
10-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Every mock draft I've seen has McFadden going in the top 6 and being the first RB taken. If accurate, that will be enough to get him to declare for the NFL. Matt Leinart came back for his senior year even though he could have been a high pick after his junior year, and he lost millions. Nobody wants to be the next Leinart.

Some sort of a knee injury would cost him in the order of $10million. No way he chances that.

Cheesehead Craig
10-26-2007, 07:55 AM
I do not believe that Dallas would let Barber go. He's proven himself as a very good RB. Even though Dallas would get compensated quite well if he leaves, he's a known ability and the chemistry is there.

Ballboy
10-26-2007, 08:38 AM
It amazes me the posts sometimes in here.......everyone in here, me included has been questioning the Packers running attack. We have found out that by going with rookies and unknowns it doesn't get the job done.

Why would we then draft a RB again?!!?

Pull your collect heads out of each others ass.

Barber would be a no brainer, look at his numbers. Even in limited time, his numbers over the last year and a half are better than ANY Packer backs in that same time!!!

My question is will the Cowgirls give him up over Jones? I certainly would not.

TennesseePackerBacker
10-26-2007, 09:19 AM
It amazes me the posts sometimes in here.......everyone in here, me included has been questioning the Packers running attack. We have found out that by going with rookies and unknowns it doesn't get the job done.

Why would we then draft a RB again?!!?

Pull your collect heads out of each others ass.

Barber would be a no brainer, look at his numbers. Even in limited time, his numbers over the last year and a half are better than ANY Packer backs in that same time!!!

My question is will the Cowgirls give him up over Jones? I certainly would not.

Wow, it took until page 2 for someone to even post this. Are you guys crazy? Barber will probably be a probowl NFC back this year, he has been a very good back this year, better then anything we'd find in the draft or anything we have. Him or Turner is the way to go, that should be pretty obvious to everyone.

RashanGary
10-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Barber is not going any where. Dallas will not let him go. Turner maybe, but I'm not about to take away loads of resources from other parts of the team so we can sign a good but not great running back at the all pro rate.

I'm hopefull that everything gets solved (either through growth on the roster, FA or the draft), but I'm not willing to sell the farm just so we can have Turner. Barber is just out of the question because he will be in Dallas.

People shoot their loads all over the idea of adding Marion Barber or Michael Turner. They never consider how unlikely Barber is and what is being given up to get Turner. Barber is a very good player, but Turner is just solid. There are much better ways to blow prowbowl money (like on an acctual probowler)

Zool
10-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Turner is a UFA this season I believe.

RashanGary
10-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Turner is a UFA this season I believe.

Yep, and if you look at the history of UFA, he'll get paid as much as Barnett and Kampman combined and he's not as good as either.

Then, if we did this, a day would come where the next Kampman and Barnett needed contracts and we would just have to settle for our Turner because we already blew our whole wad on a decent running back.

The idea is grand and romantic, but the reality is usually far less desirable. It helps a little now and hurts a lot later. That's the reality of many of these inflated free agents.

Barber isn't going anywhere so discussing him is really out of the question. He'll get 1st and 3rd tender and no team would give that up on top of the mosnter contract he'd get him.

RashanGary
10-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Corey Williams is probably a similar player to Turner as far as overall value.

Williams gets sacks and pressures and Turner runs for yardage. They are both good players at their position.

We could probably lock Williams up right now for 25% of what Turner will get. There are ways to build/develop a roster that don't involve dumping loads of players (because you can't afford them down the road) for one need. Ted Thompson seems to understand that and 5-1 is pretty good evidence that it works short term and we'll find out how well it works long term. I think this team will keep getting better, only to get better, only to find themselves in position to keep getting better. Mike Shermans method they got better only to find themselves in position to get worse because they were strapped against the cap. The NFL is highly competitive. You can't just get a little better, you have to get a lot better and in order to do that, you can't pin yourself in a financial corner. Patients is hard, but it does pay off.

run pMc
10-26-2007, 10:45 AM
If they wanted the same yr/$ contract, who would you sign: a DL or a RB? In the context of the GB roster, I'd say the RB is more valuable. C.Williams is a good player, but the depth on the DL is good enough vs. the RB depth.

I think DAL lets J.Jones walk if he gets a big offer, keeps Barber (he'll sign the tender and be a UFA the next season), and look at drafting a RB. RFA's rarely get away. Romo won't leave, either. Jerry Jones isn't that stupid.

It's a safe bet that Barber and Turner are more talented than anyone on GB's roster. Of the two, I like Barber a little better. Having said that, I'd like to see GB get the best RB that fits M3's system...whether that's Barber, Ray Rice, or Joe Schmoe.

DannoMac21
10-26-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm telling you guys, go to YouTube and watch everything you can on Felix Jones. A guy who's averaging over 10 yards per carry with 7 touchdowns this year, BEHIND Darren McFadden, is phenomenal. He's 6'0" and has 4.4 speed. He's gonna be such a stud.

RashanGary
10-26-2007, 11:10 AM
If they wanted the same yr/$ contract, who would you sign: a DL or a RB? In the context of the GB roster, I'd say the RB is more valuable. C.Williams is a good player, but the depth on the DL is good enough vs. the RB depth.

In this case, I'd take the running back. However, Williams can be had right now for probably 1/3 of the price. We could probably extend Donald Lee, Atari Bigby and Corey Williams for the price of one Turner. I'd rather put guys like Wynn, Jackson and Grant through a good off season program or possibly draft one than to give up what we have to give up to get Turner.

Is Turner better than everything on our roster now? Yeah. Is he going to be better than our young guys after a year of training and a year in the offense? I don't think it's a given. Turner is good, but not great. Kampman turned into a probowl player over time (Did anyone think he'd be better than Vonnie Holliday after he just seeing his rookie season?). Corey Williams turned into a pretty good player over time. Johnny Jolly turned into a good player after a year in the league. Cullin Jenkins kept getting better. Who's to say DeShawn Wynn and Brandon Jackson don't make similar leaps? And people willing to give up years of being able to resign our guys for one good player. I really don't see the logic.

If Ted Thompson wasn't so good at talent evaluation, we might be forced to risk it all on one decent, proven player. However, the front office at 1265 seems capable of building in much more skillfull and effective ways than simply outbidding the opponent. I'm a big fan of out thinking and out working the opponents (plus, it doesn't have all of the downside that comes with losing your own to keep one overpriced guy). People forget that Ted Thompson walked into an absolute mess. We're 5-1 after 2 seasons of rebuilding. I think this team will only get better. He wasn't going to find 10 starters per year to replenish this team. He's doing it piece by piece and it's working. The pattern is that it will keep getting better and there is really no end in sight because there is no financial wall in sight. Sign Turner for 6 years, 50 million and then we'll see and end in sight (plus we'll have a pissed off lockerroom because there are about 10 players on our roster better than Turner making much less). I'm not willing to do that, and I do think his price will be astronomical.

b bulldog
10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Turner is a much better player than Williams, give me a break.

Scott Campbell
10-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Can we really determine how bad our own RB's are until there's a decent run blocking line in front of them?

RashanGary
10-26-2007, 05:33 PM

In 4 years, Turner has one good season worth of stats.

In 1 year, Williams has one good season worth of stats.

This is a classic case of the old (grass is greener on the other side) myth that is perpetuated here every off season.

Turner just isn't the probowl back that everyone here wants to make him out to be. He's a good player. Corey Williams is a good player. The difference is about 40 million dollars that will hold the Packers back from getting better for teh next 5 years.

RashanGary
10-26-2007, 05:36 PM

If Turner were a "much better" player than Williams 7 sack performance last year, than he'd be one of the top 5 RB's in the game. He's probably top 20 (whoopie :bs: )

Bretsky
10-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Can we really determine how bad our own RB's are until there's a decent run blocking line in front of them?

This OL on paper is the same unit we had a year ago. I'm not convinced it's all on the OL. I think our OL and RB's stink up to this point. But last year our RB's seemed more effective with the same OL.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Feels good to have a team that's able to overcome 3.3 yards/carry. Now, if we can get that close to 4 yards/carry, we could do some damage in the NFC.

Joemailman
10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm telling you guys, go to YouTube and watch everything you can on Felix Jones. A guy who's averaging over 10 yards per carry with 7 touchdowns this year, BEHIND Darren McFadden, is phenomenal. He's 6'0" and has 4.4 speed. He's gonna be such a stud.

Jones is a junior. Are you sure he will come out early? Football's Future has him as their #4 RB, but they don't have him going in the 1st round. If he's not going to be drafted early, he could come back for his senior year in the hope of being a top 10 pick.

RashanGary
10-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Jones should go into the draft. He's flying up the boards I follow right now. I could see him being a Marshawn Lynch type prospect or higher by the time it's all said and done.

Him8123
10-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I like that Ray Rice kid from Rutgers. Haven`t seen alot of him, but he is pretty good, and probably wouldn`t have to trade anything away to get him.

gbgary
10-27-2007, 03:17 PM
dallas won't let him get away but if they change their mind the PACK should make themselves the only option! it would be a no-brainer.

Rastak
10-27-2007, 04:38 PM
dallas won't let him get away but if they change their mind the PACK should make themselves the only option! it would be a no-brainer.

Sounds like maybe Julius Jones might be available.

gbgary
10-27-2007, 07:33 PM

Sounds like maybe Julius Jones might be available.

yes but i like barber better. he's the type of back the Packers haven't had since Brockington. barber is one of the toughest runners i've ever seen. he's earl campbell-like in that he punishes tacklers.

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Everybody knows Barber is better--except Bill Parcells and Wade Phillips. Actually, I suspect they know it also. They just like to throw Jones out there early and then use a fresh Barber later in the game.

Barber will be untouchable. Jones isn't.

I think Jones is a decent player though. I wouldn't give up much for him, but I'd take him.