PDA

View Full Version : PACKER RATS EXCLUSIVE MAY 9TH

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
ESPN is part of the problem

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/footer_logo_ccc.gif
By No Mo Moss, Packer Rats exclusive

Ah the off season; a time when the most unimportant and insignificant NFL related fart in the wind will get more air-time then Darfur. And thankfully, we have ESPN there to report it. The NFL related news filters through the ESPN ticker tape like a stream of cold war spy info in the pentagon during the 1980s, seemingly endless. It’s incredible the amount of information they can cram into the bottom 2” of my television. Don’t they ever have a slow news day in pro football? Where in the hell do they get all of this?

Answer: they create it.

In the last five years ESPN has gone from reporting the sports news, to actually participating in it. They have opened the door to players, teams and agents to allow them to use the network as a pawn and noisemaker for a pretty much unlimited list of gripes, controversies and confessionals. ESPN, who appears not to be bound to any actual journalism ethics, can also turn to their entourage of gumps to poor gasoline onto fires if the news isn’t especially interesting enough that given day.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/JohnClayton.jpg
John Clayton:
Is there anyone out there with more natural charisma and TV looks than Jon Clayton? Yes, every single other person on the planet. I’ve seen terminally ill hairless Chiuaua's with more appeal then this guy. Clayton covered the Steelers from 1976-1986 and then started working for The Sporting News. Eventually he found his way onto sports radio in Seattle while he worked as the Seahawks' beat writer until 1995 when he joined ESPN. John Clayton has, and always will, be a noise machine. His greatest accomplishment to date actually will happen in the next sentence. Congratulations John Clayton, you’ve won my award for TV's ugliest personality. Putting this guy on the air is inexcusable, especially in 1995. If he had been a fantasy football dork who got lucky and landed an ESPNEWS on air piece I’d understand, but to have him be the face of the country’s most popular sport, on the world’s most popular sports network is an absolute enigma.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/wingo_trey_web.jpg
Trey Wingo:
His name sounds like a cartoon character and his face looks like an excited Trekkie on his way to the convention. His annoying sound bytes on NFL Live have become a staple in the ESPN wall of noise. He is the guy that brings all of the talking heads together, the guy that makes it all not work. This Packer hater likes to preface all Packer related snubs with… ”look we all love Brett Favre but…ââ⠚¬Â One of the more annoying within the company, Wingo actually has one of the greatest track records of success amongst his ESPN contemporaries. A native of Greenwich, Conn., Wingo graduated from Baylor University in 1985 with a bachelor’s degree in communications. He won six Mid-America regional Emmy awards for reporting, including three straight years for outstanding sports reporting. I guess Emmy’s aren’t what they used to be huh?
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/250275.jpg
Mike Golic:
For God’s sake someone get Mike Golic a teleprompter. Another NFL Live contributor Golic’s claim to fame is being a radio host on a bad radio program. Now we are all lucky enough to watch that same bad radio program on television. Golic’s background consists of being a former Notre Dame wrestler and Jacksonville Jaguar preseason commentator. Wow! Impressive! Take some advice from Fran Foley, lie on your resume.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/bozo-pinto-colvig.jpg
Merrill Hodge:
I have never met a person that wasn’t extremely bothered by this man. A contributor on NFL Match-up and ESPN’s Draft coverage, Hodge is a complete moron. This scholar of the game and highly paid ESPN personality prides himself on his draft knowledge. I have to admit he is one special draft guru. He had the Packers selecting Chad Jackson with the #5 pick in the 2006 draft. Need I say more?
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/5425_320x240.jpg
Sean Salisbury:
Have you ever listened to anyone more convinced that the crap coming out of his mouth was correct? This guy is a real gem. When he loves your team it's great to listen to him. When he’s talking smack on your team its the most annoying thing available on cable (except Bill O’Reilly). This guy only deals in extremes. To steal from Mike McCarthy, there is no gray area with him. Either you suck or you’re going to the super bowl. Apparently the NFL has no 8-8 teams. Either you go 16-0 and win it all or 1-15 and everyone retires or is fired. Plus to make him even more unbearable, well...see below.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/seansalisbury.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/paolantonio_web.jpg
Sal Paolantonio:
Clearly Sal is a former Mafia guy who planted enough horse heads to land a job covering the Jets and Eagles on ESPN. Due to an extreme fear of mob violence and retaliation all I will say is "Sal I love your stuff. Really, really good stuff Sal. J-E-T-S!"
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/sopranos.jpg
(above)Paolantonio henchmen before imposing Mr. Paolantonio's wishes
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/p1.jpg
Suzy Kolber:
I really like you Suzy. Come here, give me a kiss. Suzy give me a kiss, you look good. You never age and it freaks me out, but come here and give me a kiss.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/229160.jpg
Michael Irvin
From the guys who brought you another drug addict in the form of Rush Limbaugh, (that worked out), ESPN seems to think they have found the formula for success. If they were to hire a real live person with good first hand knowledge of the game and some objective media savvy the rest of their crew would be made to look like the idiots they generally are. Instead just hire a real life crack-head so no one notices. Irvin had a major run in with police when, in 1996, he pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges. Whoa, way to throw the book at him, real Texas Law. Irvin apparently exchanged his booger sugar addiction for one in the rock form. In November he was pulled over for having a warrant out on a speeding ticket and the police found a crack pipe under his seat. Apparently it was his long time friend's pipe who just was going into rehab. Irvin said he put the pipe in his car because he didn't want it in his house where his children might find it. He said he planned to drive somewhere the next day, like a grocery trash bin, and throw the pipe away but forgot. Oops Mike! If all of that doesn't say qualified TV analyst, what does? Michael welcome to the Disney family of networks.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/jaworski_headshot.jpg
Ron Jaworski:
Ron led the Dick Vermeil coached Eagles to the Super Bowl in 1980 only to be bitch slapped by Jon Madden’s Raiders. Ron was selected to one Pro Bowl in 1980. Jaworski thinks he belongs on the list with the greatest QBs of all time. In every Brett Favre related interview he has ever done he makes sure you know he thinks of himself on the same level as our great QB. After a MNF victory in 2003, Jaworski interviewed Favre. To close the interview he put his hand around Favre and looked into the camera.
“Us great quarterbacks stick together.” Jaworski spattered.
The sick look on Brett Favre’s face in the closing seconds of that interview said it all.
“Ron your man-crush on me is very uncomfortable, plus you sucked as a quarterback.”
His unhealthy man love for Brett Favre is second only to Terry Bradshaw. Use extreme caution if you come across Jaworski while wearing a #4 jersey, he can become dangerous.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/smith_michael_m.jpg
Michael Smith:
In a move that would seem like an attempt at infuisng new blood, ESPN recently promoted Smith to one of their top NFL posts. A young columnist and frequent guest of Around the Horn, Smith has done little to convince me or anyone else that he represents a new breed of ESPN persona that will reclaim the respect the network once had. In fact, Smith has done just the opposite. In his two weeks at his new post he broke several erroneous stories, one involving a Packer. Smith can hardly be faulted however, he's just trying to fit in.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/180px-Chrisberman.jpg
The one guy I didn’t mention in this article is the one guy I respect. He’s also the one guy that I feel wonders what happened to the network he played a major role in building. Chris Berman should be given some of the credit for the rise in the popularity of the NFL. For the last 15 years NFL Primetime has been the top rated sports show in America. Berman is a total Packer fan, and a fan of the NFC Norse as he calls it. Although that nickname isn’t all that flattering, Berman seems to be the one person who is legitimate. He doesn’t practice pessimism, but uses optimism when on air. Unfortunately, for his network and us, Berman has seen his role decreased as he gets older and richer. He’s a smart guy and must see the sick irony in what’s been going on. The network he loves and helped rise in popularity is now hurting the game he loves and helped rise in popularity.

It’s really too bad that in a time when spoiled athletes run the league and undermine the game we love, ESPN has to be part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

swede
05-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Okay, if I could insert sound bytes in threads you would hear Larry McCarren going,

WOW!

This was a cool, cool article, NO NO!

MadtownPacker
05-09-2006, 11:32 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Too good, hilarious!!!

BF4MVP
05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Amazing article, No mo!

Oscar
05-09-2006, 11:36 AM
This is too F-ing cool! Great read!

Badgepack
05-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Damn, some of you guys sure put together some amazing stuff. It makes my little coments feel inadequate.

jack's smirking revenge
05-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Great article No Mo! Very entertaining! I hope you're going to get Mad to post it to the homepage. :D

tyler

MJZiggy
05-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Damn, some of you guys sure put together some amazing stuff. It makes my little coments feel inadequate.

All comments have value...I personally love reading the variety of ideas posted here.

billy_oliver880
05-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Put this on the front page!

MadtownPacker
05-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Put this on the front page!Is it OK to put it on there NoMo?

Travbrew
05-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Geat stuff man!! You nailed it.
One guy I figured you do was Stewart Scott. I think he's pretty good, but the lazy eye thing just freaks me out. He never used to have it, it just kinda showed up one day. Then he goes out and tries to hide it with those glasses, which only draw attention to his freakishly strange look. He honestly makes the hair on the back of my next stand up. ESPN should hook him up with those little, eye propper open things they used on Malcom McDowell on A Clockwork Orange.

Almost forgot - I met Suzie Kolber at an Aints game like 2 years ago, SCARY!!!! She looks good on camera, but not up close. Leather for skin and about 2 feet tall. Kinda like a skinny oompa loompa.

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Put this on the front page!Is it OK to put it on there NoMo?

Yeah that would be great.

MadtownPacker
05-09-2006, 01:01 PM
DONE!

ESPN is part of the problem (http://www.packerrats.com)

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Mad, I like the Bozo addition. I couldn't find a pick of that ugly bastard, but that one will do quite nicely.

I'll update this version as well.

MadtownPacker
05-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Mad, I like the Bozo addition. I couldn't find a pick of that ugly bastard, but that one will do quite nicely.

I'll update this version as well.
I couldnt find one either so I just used the closest one I could fine.

RashanGary
05-09-2006, 01:15 PM
What can a person say. That was frikkin awsome.

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Remember when hodge shaved his head that one time. I remember seeing him once with his hair shaved off and then never again. Either he is bald and forgot to wear his hair piece or his publicist told him he looks even nastier bald. Am I the only one who saw that?

RashanGary
05-09-2006, 01:22 PM
ha ha....I missed it.

Deputy Nutz
05-09-2006, 01:46 PM
No offense but you forgot the most guilty, Micheal Irving.

Little Whiskey
05-09-2006, 01:48 PM

All comments have value...I personally love reading the variety of ideas posted here.

even mine??

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 01:49 PM

I am going to change that right now.

Little Whiskey
05-09-2006, 01:58 PM

I am going to change that right now.

i'd rather listen to the rest of them all day everyday for life then listen to that loud mouth!!

how does he have a job, after his cocain drug bust!!! they fire limbaugh after his mcnabb comment, but this guy goes out and buys up half of columbia and is still working!! he makes my blood boil everytime i here him open his mouth.

i guess the previous post might have been better suited to the rant thread. my appologies.

RashanGary
05-09-2006, 02:04 PM
no mo,

I just sent you a pm

Sparkey
05-09-2006, 02:34 PM
If the goal of this website is to be considered the place to gather for packer info and discussion, then I have to voice my complaints with this editorial.

The article is as bad as some of the stuff ESPN puts on their website. The obvious personality bashing aside, since when does throwing an f-bomb in an article make it worthy of reading.

For discussion threads, fine, leave it full throttle, wide open talk and back and forth. BUT a so called website exclusive article SHOULD NOT HAVE a comment like "Wow, dude some advice from Fran Foley, fucking lie on your resume." in the article or "Have you ever listened to anyone more convinced that the shit coming out of his or her mouth was correct?"

Unless you want to be labeled another one of those websites that lets any idiot blather on about anything, their should be some modicum of decency in the articles.

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 02:54 PM
See I'm obviously going to have to disagree with you. One of the reasons we are here is to avoid censorship. If my opinion features a word that offends you I'm sorry, but it is your opinion. If you'd like to write your own opinion piece about it I'll read it.

It is after all just a word, a silly word. I was not taking the lords name in vain, nor was I scraping the bottom of the barrel for some offensive frat house rhetoric. I simply chose to use those words because those words conveyed the emotion of the sentence in the exact way I wanted them to.

At any rate they are simply words. surely if we can endure hundreds of hours of men trying to physically punish and violently batter each other, we can handle anything the written word can dish out.

But what the freak do I know?

(did you see how lame that last sentence was without fuck?)

jack's smirking revenge
05-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Well, I'm going to take Sparkey's side on this one. I glazed over the vulgarities in the article, but Spark makes a good point.

My two cents: The forum is a place to voice vulgarities. The home page and the external articles are what we're trying to use to gain a greater audience and shouldn't have such language. I'm not for censorship, but I am for writing content to the level of our competitors. Our competitors wouldn't throw out f'bombs and neither should we in the editorial pieces we choose to publish to the main site.

Think of the Packer Rats site as a house: if it looks appealing and comforting on the outside, people will come in for a visit. The more people we can attract to come in for a visit, the greater our readership will be.

I think the article was great, No Mo. I'm not ripping on the article at all. I'm just suggesting that you could write the same article without the vulgarities and it would be just as effective and would speak to a greater audience.

tyler

Sparkey
05-09-2006, 03:11 PM
See I'm obviously going to have to disagree with you. One of the reasons we are here is to avoid censorship. If my opinion features a word that offends you I'm sorry, but it is your opinion. If you'd like to write your own opinion piece about it I'll read it.

It is after all just a word, a silly word. I was not taking the lords name in vain, nor was I scraping the bottom of the barrel for some offensive frat house rhetoric. I simply chose to use those words because those words conveyed the emotion of the sentence in the exact way I wanted them to.

At any rate they are simply words. surely if we can endure hundreds of hours of men trying to physically punish and violently batter each other, we can handle anything the written word can dish out.

But what the freak do I know?

(did you see how lame that last sentence was without fuck?)

Don't confuse the open forum of discussion with editorial articles posted on the front page of a website. Foul mothed language used in an article does not impress anyone or show how free of censorship ones speech is. All it does is show a lack of intelligence and dignity by the writer.

Would I complain of foul language while in a bar ? Hell no, it is considered a part of the social make-up of the crowd. BUT I would expect a bit more restraint exhibited when it comes to articles that are projecting the image of a site.

I, personally find the article to be amusing, funny and even dead-on in some instances (Hodge for instance), however the bad language doesn't impress and makes the article less than it could be, in my eyes.

jack's smirking revenge
05-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Let me add that you were gracious enough to let us post your article to the site, so don't take my constructive criticism personally. I just think the external piece of the Packer Rats site should have a standard of creative integrity. This place is still in its infancy, so we have some work to do in that area. Yours is the first article to test those waters.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what happens "in the house", so long as the party inside doesn't spill out to disturb the neighbors.

tyler

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 03:31 PM
"All it does is show a lack of intelligence and dignity by the writer."

Yes I am an Indignant Moron because the use of vulgarity doesn't phase me.

As for the other issues I agree. Keep in mind it was written to be in the forum. It was then added to the front page. And Sparkey I was not trying to impress anyone with the use of fuck and shit. That is how real people talk sometimes, I was merely writting how I would have talked about Golic and Salisbury had the reader been sitting in my living room. I will omit the word fuck and replace the word shit with crap. I suppose crap may offend some, but that is the word I will use unless you want me to start a poll.

swede
05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
NoMo,

I see the point on profanity and Home Page content.

Your article, though, was funny, biting, and, considering how astute Packer fans have noticed the lack of journalistic integrity at ESPN, it was timely as well. How many stupid rumors--baseless rumors--did they kick around without apology this off-season?

Management needs to kick around some home page pofanity policy on this I suppose.

Anyway, take any criicism as constructive and friendly. I am rather confident that is how it was offered.

Sparkey
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM
"All it does is show a lack of intelligence and dignity by the writer."

Yes I am an Indignant Moron because the use of vulgarity doesn't phase me.

That was worded poorly. My apologies. Another example of how usage of words and phrases projects an image, writely or wrongly, about another or the writer.

Deputy Nutz
05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Very thought provoking about the use of vulgarity.

No Mo only posted it on the forum and because it was so kick ass it was used on the front page of the forum. So everyone should just back off him a bit.

Great article!

jack's smirking revenge
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Nutz, I agree we need to give him his props. It is a great article. And I've been preaching all along that we need to take some of this great content we create in the forums and turn it into articles for the core site.

BUT...we do need to be careful. There's a reason some content is confined to the Romper Room. I respect you and I respect the Nutz & Boltz show and everything it stands for. It is very entertaining. No Mo is truly not to be criticized for the vulgarities in his article, as we don't really have any standards yet. As he said, it was written to the "forum audience". It has brought up great points though, with regards to how forum-to-web articles should be edited before they're posted.

How about we take this approach? If this place is good enough, maybe our content writers could be reproduced elsewhere, as KFFL writers are reproduced on this site. Wouldn't that be cool? That, at some point, we've got enough editorial and creative integrity that our articles could be reposted elsewhere? What a credit to our site if that could happen.

tyler

FritzDontBlitz
05-09-2006, 04:39 PM
If the goal of this website is to be considered the place to gather for packer info and discussion, then I have to voice my complaints with this editorial.

The article is as bad as some of the stuff ESPN puts on their website. The obvious personality bashing aside, since when does throwing an f-bomb in an article make it worthy of reading.

For discussion threads, fine, leave it full throttle, wide open talk and back and forth. BUT a so called website exclusive article SHOULD NOT HAVE a comment like "Wow, dude some advice from Fran Foley, fucking lie on your resume." in the article or "Have you ever listened to anyone more convinced that the shit coming out of his or her mouth was correct?"

Unless you want to be labeled another one of those websites that lets any idiot blather on about anything, their should be some modicum of decency in the articles.

the guy with the avatar of a homicidal housecat wielding an automatic weapon steps up to be the voice of reason. duh.

i think there are too many guys here already who take themselves too fucking serious - you know, kinda like the fucking yahoos on espn do.

moss, i thought the article was a tongue-in-cheek rant intended to poke fun at a network that, rather than objectively reporting on the sports news, thinks THEY are the story. after the atrocious farce they broadcast thrioughout draft weekend, i for one don't blame you for wanting to take a swipe at them - i thought it was very norman chad-like effort on your part. (for those scoring at home, norman chad is the well known sports columnist who mocked espn's draft day coverage in a similar fashion - albeit without the colorful metaphors mossy chose to add.)

lighten up, guys. we ain't debating nuclear disarmament here. its just fucking sports.....

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Thank you for the kind remarks. When you spend a lot of time on something its nice to have some positive affirmation.

No Mo Moss
05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Nutz, I agree we need to give him his props. It is a great article. And I've been preaching all along that we need to take some of this great content we create in the forums and turn it into articles for the core site.

BUT...we do need to be careful. There's a reason some content is confined to the Romper Room. I respect you and I respect the Nutz & Boltz show and everything it stands for. It is very entertaining. No Mo is truly not to be criticized for the vulgarities in his article, as we don't really have any standards yet. As he said, it was written to the "forum audience". It has brought up great points though, with regards to how forum-to-web articles should be edited before they're posted.

How about we take this approach? If this place is good enough, maybe our content writers could be reproduced elsewhere, as KFFL writers are reproduced on this site. Wouldn't that be cool? That, at some point, we've got enough editorial and creative integrity that our articles could be reposted elsewhere? What a credit to our site if that could happen.

tyler

tyler can you explain this a little more. I think I like the idea but I'm not sure I understand.

Wouldn't we need to use our real identities then? I guess I'm fine with that but just elaborate on your idea.

jack's smirking revenge
05-09-2006, 05:07 PM

tyler

tyler can you explain this a little more. I think I like the idea but I'm not sure I understand.

Wouldn't we need to use our real identities then? I guess I'm fine with that but just elaborate on your idea.

No Mo, you've brought up a very good point. It's kind of a grey area. What I've proposed are PR Icons--people who are recognizable content providers for this site. In our digital world, I don't know that you necessarily need to have your "real identity" tagged to a creation. Case in point, all of my writings are done under a pseudonym (for various reasons). I think once this site is rolling on a regular basis with known, trusted, and reliable content providers, then an alias would work just as well. Perhaps part of the fun of our site is that we do have unique identities that mask who we really are, but we pump out content that's equally as cool as anything that's out there.

This brings up another point that we should put a disclaimer (if one doesn't already exist) on the core site that states that all content is the property of the originator and of Packer Rats. All rights reserved, etc.

I hope I'm making sense. Let me know if I'm not.

tyler

MJZiggy
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Jack, you've got the legal connections. How do we legally protect our IP?

motife
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
to quote Jim Zabel, former Iowa Hawkeye announcer on WHO in Des Moines :

"I love it I love it I love it!! I gave that game 3 'I love it's'".

Scott Campbell
05-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Great article!

pacfan
05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
I thought the article was great. I do see the argument that it might turn some folks off, but this is the packer rats website and we like it like that!!!

No Moss, it was a great read-don't change a thing.

GrnBay007
05-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Great article No Mo Moss! (still one of my favorite names on the forum :mrgreen: )

FavreChild
05-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Very good, No Mo.

Michael Smith is a cutie, and was one of my faves - but I think he is tired of the eye-rolling arguments with Jay Mariotti, so his is stretching his friendship with J-Walk a little too tightly.

Personally, as I've not been shy about stating, I hold nothing against Javon and his contentions. But it's soooo a non-story - M. Smith and the ESPN machine would have us believe otherwise, I suppose.

Keep up the critique, though.

cosimoto
05-09-2006, 11:12 PM
NoMoMoss: Berman is a total Packer fan, and a fan of the NFC Norse as he calls it. Although that nickname isn’t all that flattering, Berman seems to be the one person who is legitimate.

.http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/cosimoto/SamuraiGB7.jpg
NMM, you should be happy to learn, since you like Chris Berman (as do I), that he does not refer to the North Division as the "Norse" Division but the "Norris" Division as in NHL hockey. So the one blemish on his Packer love can now be safely removed. Enjoyed reading your analysis of ESPN.

--CSMTO

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Welcome cosimoto.

cosimoto
05-10-2006, 02:51 AM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/cosimoto/SamuraiGB7.jpg Thanks, HW, glad to be here.

Bretsky
05-10-2006, 04:41 AM
welcome to packerrats cosimoto !!

B

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Bretsky, you were on here even earlier than normal. Ending the day or beginning it?
:D

jack's smirking revenge
05-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Jack, you've got the legal connections. How do we legally protect our IP?

This is Mad & Skin's concern now.

tyler

No Mo Moss
05-10-2006, 10:38 AM
NoMoMoss: Berman is a total Packer fan, and a fan of the NFC Norse as he calls it. Although that nickname isn’t all that flattering, Berman seems to be the one person who is legitimate.

.http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/cosimoto/SamuraiGB7.jpg
NMM, you should be happy to learn, since you like Chris Berman (as do I), that he does not refer to the North Division as the "Norse" Division but the "Norris" Division as in NHL hockey. So the one blemish on his Packer love can now be safely removed. Enjoyed reading your analysis of ESPN.

--CSMTO

Yes, I knew that I guess I just spelled it wrong. Isn't Berman referring to the time when the NFC central was terrible. While at the same time the Norris was terrible or am I missing it?

cosimoto
05-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes, I knew that I guess I just spelled it wrong. Isn't Berman referring to the time when the NFC central was terrible. While at the same time the Norris was terrible or am I missing it?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/cosimoto/SamuraiGB7.jpg NMM, you might be right, I don't know. I always thought it had to do with it being so cold in Wisc, Minn, Illi, and Mich. You know, ice hockey, ice football. But I could be wrong.
---CSMTO

Murphy37
05-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Great article NoMo, ESPN makes me want to eat my own vommit sometimes, yet I keep watching it. It's a vicious cycle that keeps repeating itself. Sad.
The question of censoring what we put on the front page is a good one. The front page should show off some of our best articles. Personally, I think an article can be great whether it has the word fuck, shit, cock, bitch, clit, tits......well you get the point. Movies with such words win Acedemy Awards, and are accepted by the masses. The same goes for music. I understand that we want to increase our audience around here, but if a newcomer is offended easily, they won't last long anyway. To tell the truth, I didn't even notice the swear words in the article when I read it. The piece as a whole flowed together nicely. Could it have been done without the words FUCK and SHIT.............. probably. But I think we should walk a fine line on the front page. Keep it edgy, in our traditional Pack Rats style, without getting carried away talking about "Rusty Trombones" and "Dirty Sanchez's" etc etc. An occaisional curse is fine, as long as the piece is well written, and that curse is used to pound home a point. Thanks for listening,
Dr.Murphy37 PHD,MD,STD,DOWN WIT OPP, PBR ME ASAP.

GoPackGo
05-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Nice article NOMO. well written and to the point.

ESPN bugs me all offseason. :?

Fritz
05-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Good article, No Mo. I remember when ESPN was actually seen as a journalistic entity. Them days are gone.

In terms of what language to allow or not, it depends on who you want as your audience. You might find some parents of kids who are maybe young teens would be offended if they saw Johnny reading some of the rants here. But if you don't care about that, then carry on. Personally, I think using too much cursing can take away from its effectiveness, yet guys like Mad and Mateo create tremendous personalities using it all the time. I can't imagine those guys without it, and I"m not at all offended.

Merlin
05-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Great article...

One intemperate thought, if you are going to compare the liberal media (ESPN) to conservative media types (FOX & Limbaugh), you may want to connect the dots better. Outside of the Limbaugh drug connection (if it were a liberal no one would have made a big deal about it), there is no comparing the two when it comes to reporting truth vs inuendo and conjecture.

No Mo Moss
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Great article...

One intemperate thought, if you are going to compare the liberal media (ESPN) to conservative media types (FOX & Limbaugh), you may want to connect the dots better. Outside of the Limbaugh drug connection (if it were a liberal no one would have made a big deal about it), there is no comparing the two when it comes to reporting truth vs inuendo and conjecture.

Kennedy is getting pelted right now for his struggles with booze. I am a liberal, but when ESPN hired Rush it was absolutely asking for it. They had to wait all of 2 hours for it to bite them in the ass. Guys like him and Bill O'Reilly fall harder because of there over the top personas. To me its the best when the uncompassionate come looking for compassion. I'll get my Kleenex.

Bossman641
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Geat stuff man!! You nailed it.
One guy I figured you do was Stewart Scott. I think he's pretty good, but the lazy eye thing just freaks me out. He never used to have it, it just kinda showed up one day. Then he goes out and tries to hide it with those glasses, which only draw attention to his freakishly strange look. He honestly makes the hair on the back of my next stand up. ESPN should hook him up with those little, eye propper open things they used on Malcom McDowell on A Clockwork Orange.

Ugh, I cannot stand Stuart Scott. His lazy eye showed up as a result of an accident at Jets camp.

Stuart Scott was injured at the New York Jets training camp when a machine that throws footballs to receivers for practice hit him in the left eye with a football. Scott had to undergo surgery of the cornea.

Sparkey
05-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Great article...

Kennedy is getting pelted right now for his struggles with booze. I am a liberal, but when ESPN hired Rush it was absolutely asking for it. They had to wait all of 2 hours for it to bite them in the ass. Guys like him and Bill O'Reilly fall harder because of there over the top personas. To me its the best when the uncompassionate come looking for compassion. I'll get my Kleenex.

So are conservatives uncompassionate ? OR just anyone who gets sick of giving freebies to people that take no initiative to make things better on their own ? ...... Nevermind, this is no place for a discussion of this nature.

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Did somebody say Fox news reported truth?...

Deputy Nutz
05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Christ, take the political talk to the Romper room.

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 03:13 PM
I personally don't see any harm in talking about a news network. It's not like we're spamming the page with 20 threads on the same topic. Nobody is posting personal info on other people.

I don't know if you've ever noticed or not but sometimes a topic kind of leads to another topic and instead of makeing a new thread everytime the subect changes people just kind of add their two cents. It's pretty standard procedure really. I think I've even seen you do it a time or two.

I seem to recall a pretty vast majorty appreciate the slightly off topic talk. Not too many people can just sit here and talk about Greg Jennings and A.J. Hawk when nothing new is going on. Is this the no fun league or what?

What was cool abotu JS before things went to crap was that threads like FYI, Nutz & Bolts and FYI could all exist on the main page where everyone hit. It was a way for little clicks to have one thread where they could find their favorite chit chat.

I don't remember it ever becoming a problem untill one jack ass got out of hand. This is nothing like the problems that happened over there. I understand you want to police this forum and make sure eveyrone is discussing topics you feel are worthy but if you ask yourself the question "Is this thread hurting the overall football quality of this board" I think you're going to answer no. So why sensor people?

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 03:20 PM
If you guys want my input...I think that forums are best when left go. There is a certain amount of sensorship that needs to be in place to prevent the one or two wackos from ruining it for everyone. I think it's very easy when given authority to start crossing from gray area into dark black. You think you're just doing what's best for the forum and pretty soon your just doing whats best for you.

I mean, when you think about it...Is posting about ESPN or even Fox news hurting the ultimate content of this board? Was the topic that got pushed off really going to get read? Or are you just being a hard ass?

No Mo Moss
05-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Nick I hear you, but there is a danger of the tread bein g overwelmed. I think the question at hand is whether or not the articles we post should be politically censored as well.

I would say a BIG NO on that on one.

Just because I referenced Bill O'Reilly doesn't make it a political piece however. Rush Limbaugh joined ESPN so he is fair game. If someone wants to make a strictly political piece then clearly that doesn't belong on the front page.

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you will :smile: ), but I believe the only thing anyone was talking about censoring was curse words in the articles that go on the front page. There is no censorship in here that I'm aware of.

jack's smirking revenge
05-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Editing the content of front page articles (or articles that can be found via the core web) is all that I was referring to. The forums are a whole 'nother world and I don't think those should be restricted much.

But Mad'll make that final decision. He should chime in with his decision.

tyler

No Mo Moss
05-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Great article...

This is the post that sparked us straying off course.

Deputy Nutz
05-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I personally don't see any harm in talking about a news network. It's not like we're spamming the page with 20 threads on the same topic. Nobody is posting personal info on other people.

I don't know if you've ever noticed or not but sometimes a topic kind of leads to another topic and instead of makeing a new thread everytime the subect changes people just kind of add their two cents. It's pretty standard procedure really. I think I've even seen you do it a time or two.

I seem to recall a pretty vast majorty appreciate the slightly off topic talk. Not too many people can just sit here and talk about Greg Jennings and A.J. Hawk when nothing new is going on. Is this the no fun league or what?

What was cool abotu JS before things went to crap was that threads like FYI, Nutz & Bolts and FYI could all exist on the main page where everyone hit. It was a way for little clicks to have one thread where they could find their favorite chit chat.

I don't remember it ever becoming a problem untill one jack ass got out of hand. This is nothing like the problems that happened over there. I understand you want to police this forum and make sure eveyrone is discussing topics you feel are worthy but if you ask yourself the question "Is this thread hurting the overall football quality of this board" I think you're going to answer no. So why sensor people?

Guess what slick, this is the Packer forum. If you want to turn a topic into a political debate go to the romper room, that is what it was set up for. This isn't JSO where everything was on one page and one room. Take a little time and surf the whole forum and you will see their are certain areas for certain talk. I ain't on here talking about the brewers. Why you ask? Because there is a room specifically set up to talk about the Brewers. We do enjoy the off topic chat, that is why we created a room specifically for that.

Before you post anything else about it being "ok" to turn threads political check out the rest of the forum. We are not censoring anything, certain threads and posts have a certain place on this forum and that is where they are moved if they don't fit the content area that they are currently in.

I understand that we are moving into a slow part of the year for Packer talk, and I hope to see an increase use of the Romper Room. So everyone that would still like to converse, but doesn't have any Packer talk can make good use of the Romper Room. ENJOY!

jack's smirking revenge
05-10-2006, 04:12 PM

Guess what slick, this is the Packer forum. If you want to turn a topic into a political debate go to the romper room, that is what it was set up for. This isn't JSO where everything was on one page and one room. Take a little time and surf the whole forum and you will see their are certain areas for certain talk. I ain't on here talking about the brewers. Why you ask? Because there is a room specifically set up to talk about the Brewers. We do enjoy the off topic chat, that is why we created a room specifically for that.

Before you post anything else about it being "ok" to turn threads political check out the rest of the forum. We are not censoring anything, certain threads and posts have a certain place on this forum and that is where they are moved if they don't fit the content area that they are currently in.

I understand that we are moving into a slow part of the year for Packer talk, and I hope to see an increase use of the Romper Room. So everyone that would still like to converse, but doesn't have any Packer talk can make good use of the Romper Room. ENJOY!

Truedat. Maybe we need a politico forum so all FYI'ers can get in the ring.

tyler

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 04:17 PM
We have an FYI thread in the romper room...nobody's been using it. :?

MadtownPacker
05-10-2006, 06:59 PM
The police the forum comment is unjustfied NC. Have any of you post been deleted? The only get moved.

The "topics you feel worthy comment" is just ignorant. Nothing that is football related gets moved.

Read your the thread you made in RR if you want my opinion about this subject.

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 07:14 PM
I didn't like the whole

"move this damn thread to the romper room" comment.

I didn't think it was hurting the content of the board so I let it be known. YOu'r the board cop so of course you're goign to feel like I'm digging at you.

I think you are doing what the forum originally set out to do which is promote the romper room. I wasn't part of the discussion but I get teh sense that a bunch of peeps got together and hashed out a plan. You are following it.

I don't really agree with it, but my harsh response was more directed at the get that crap out of here sentiment than at any current policy.

HOwever, I did go the RR and let my thoughts be known....If you guys want a main page where people can only talk Packers that is up to you and your board of directors. I think that it takes away a little something from the freedom and diversity on the board.

MadtownPacker
05-10-2006, 07:26 PM
PR give a damn about its members opinions and safety. Thats what PR is all about. I bet the only board that lets poster have more freedom then this one is JSO. You know how that worked out.

Here someone cant take over the name NC.

Here someone aint gonna get away with spamming up the whole first page.

Here no one can run malicious java scripts that will send you to a porn site when your at work but still allows insulting pictures to be posted.

Here the admin actually takes the time to answer stuff like this.

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 07:37 PM
A-men...

And that is why it has 200 members in a couple short months and has more action than JS already. This is a good place to visit.

Mad..Don't take it as an insult..I should have added how much this place kicks ass before I started tearing the one little issue I have.

If this place never changes a bit I'll still spend all my internet/packer time here. It is the place to be.

Scott Campbell
05-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Mad's doing a great job. I've got no complaints, and there has been no monkey business.

You can't please everybody Mad.

RashanGary
05-10-2006, 07:38 PM
but i like OT threads damn it....

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
And yet he still pleases most.

MJZiggy
05-10-2006, 07:41 PM
but i like OT threads damn it....

I haven't seen anyone beaten yet for starting one. They just get moved to RR where a lot of us do actually read (including your thread there). If you drop in over there and hang out and post some, you will find that it is growing as well. People simply are forming the habit of popping in there every now and again. Depends what you're in the mood for.

MadtownPacker
05-10-2006, 07:56 PM
And yet he still pleases most.
Thats suppose to be our lil secret Zig... :razz:

Everyone interested in the subject should go to NC's thread in the RR (http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=1086) and vote.

Murphy37
05-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Mad's doing a great job. I've got no complaints, and there has been no monkey business.

You can't please everybody Mad.

I got a complaint. I don't want a damn Mexican running things around here when he should be mowing my lawn.

Just kidden brotha, ya know I got nothin but love for all my latino folk. What the hell do I know, I'm a Polish Chippewa.

swede
05-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Brother and Sister Rodents,

Allow me to say with ratly love that Merlin and Nick Collins have the right to include political put-downs in order to illustrate their points.

Brother Nutz has the right to tell them to move that shit over to Romper Room.

Brother Hoo Hah has the right to tell me not to use the word shit when I post.

Anger is righteous and moves us to greater clarity of thought.

Friendship is precious and tempers our words.

Hatred is a poison that we carefully mix only to drink it ourselves, failing to hurt the intended targets of our despise.

And why can't we have a Cheese of the Month club?

MJZiggy
05-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Excellent post, Swede. Can we start with Brie? Or, ooh! How 'bout Feta. I love Feta!

No Mo Moss
05-11-2006, 09:57 AM
I think we should start with cheddar and then get more exotic.

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2006, 12:05 PM
fromunda?

Homer Jay
05-16-2006, 02:10 PM
In defense of John Clayton. He does have a great face for radio. I think maybe he should have stayed with that gig.