PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Vikings???

AtlPackFan
10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
My apologies if this has already been posted:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors

Could they soon be called the Toronto Vikings?
Friday, Oct 26, 2007 11:08 am EDT

At owners' meetings in Philadelphia this week, the NFL directed that an assessment of the Minnesota stadium situation be done before the end of the year, and the league plans to send representatives to Minneapolis to evaluate the viability and timeline for a new stadium. The Vikings are bound by lease to play in the Metrodome through the 2011 season.

While in Minnesota, NFL officials are expected to meet with political, business and community leaders, then report the Vikings stadium status to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Toronto could become a bigger threat for a possible relocation site of the Vikings than Los Angeles.

Guiness
10-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Man, would I ever have mixed emotions about that!!!

It's tough being a supporter of a team so far away...and this would put a team in my backyard.

But the thought of switching alliegeance...and to the Vikings??? *shudder*

Oh well, I think this is just blowing smoke anyways. And if the NFL does expand outside the US border, I think Mexico City will get a team first.

MJZiggy
10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I don't know, Toronto's a helluva lot closer than Mexico City. Rastak, how would you feel about them if your team moved away? Would you still cheer for them or never get over it like when the Colts left Baltimore. People in this area absolutely detest the Colts. (Don't tell 'em I hope the Colts beat the living crap out of the Pats when they play)

oregonpackfan
10-26-2007, 04:42 PM
I don't know, Toronto's a helluva lot closer than Mexico City. Rastak, how would you feel about them if your team moved away? Would you still cheer for them or never get over it like when the Colts left Baltimore. People in this area absolutely detest the Colts. (Don't tell 'em I hope the Colts beat the living crap out of the Pats when they play)

Does Toronto have an indoor facility or would it be the Canadien version of "The Frozen Tundra?"

RashanGary
10-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm all for it. Minnesota better get their act together or they'll get what they deserve.

Guiness
10-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Indoor - the Skydome (now the Rogers Center) where the Blue Jays play, http://www.rogerscentre.com/home.html

Nice facility. Seats about for 50,000 for football and baseball. A little small, so they would have to do something about that I think. Retractable roof, and although no longer state of the art, it does a good job. Has a fair number of boxes as well. I'm not sure if it would be up to standard for an NFL team, but it certainly wouldn't be all that far off. It's also downtown, with good road downtown, near the subway, and the nightlife.

Honestly, Toronto would be a great venue for an NFL franchise. The city supports it's pro teams (although nothing else...) very well. It's got the Maple Leafs (NHL), Blue Jays (MLB) and the Raptors (NBA) and they all have decent draws. They've also got the Toronto Rock, which is in the pro lacrosse league. Oops, and the Toronto Argonauts, the CFL team that actually plays in the Skydome.

BallHawk
10-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Nice facility. Seats about for 50,000 for football and baseball. A little small, so they would have to do something about that I think. Retractable roof, and although no longer state of the art, it does a good job. Has a fair number of boxes as well. I'm not sure if it would be up to standard for an NFL team, but it certainly wouldn't be all that far off.

You do know that we're talking about the Vikings, right? The team that plays in the Metrodome? :lol:

Honestly, once you've played in the Metrodome I think anything would be an improvement. :D

Merlin
10-26-2007, 06:43 PM
It's all because the rich owner(s) of the Vikings won't pony up the cash for a stadium. Minneapolis is already paying for a new Twins Stadium and the state is already paying for a new Gophers stadium. Although I don't get why they are for the Gophers because they aren't very good, and never really are, I do understand the Twins, at least they have won a World Series or two in recent history. The Vikings haven't been anywhere near the super bowl since the moved in doors. Well, the one year the dome hosted the Super Bowl, that was as close as they ever got.

The people of MN should be poed about spending more money on another sports venue. Let the owners fork over some of the cash, it isn't like they don't have it.

RashanGary
10-26-2007, 06:55 PM
If I was an owner and it was between paying 400 million for a stadium or moving, I'd just move.

Carolina_Packer
10-26-2007, 07:41 PM
The Vikings haven't been anywhere near the super bowl since the moved in doors. Well, the one year the dome hosted the Super Bowl, that was as close as they ever got.

They were one field goal kick away against the Falcons in 1999, so technically they were close; closer than we've been since that time. :cry:

Lurker64
10-26-2007, 08:17 PM
As a Minnesota taxpayer, I don't want to see them move and I don't want to see the Government build them a stadium. Wylf's got money, let him build it.

GBRulz
10-26-2007, 09:09 PM
The Vikings haven't been anywhere near the super bowl since the moved in doors. Well, the one year the dome hosted the Super Bowl, that was as close as they ever got.

They were one field goal kick away against the Falcons in 1999, so technically they were close; closer than we've been since that time. :cry:

They just showed that replay on NFLN about a week ago.

Gary "wide left" Anderson :lol:

Scott Campbell
10-27-2007, 06:18 AM
The league takes their direction from PackerRats:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=8666&highlight=metrodome

Is that craphole the worst venue in pro football?

I haven't been to all 32. But I would be interested to hear from someone who has, they'd be the only one qualified to say, right Scott?

Scott Campbell
10-27-2007, 06:28 AM
I like the idea of Toronto better than LA, and the team already fields a CFL calibur QB. It keeps the Vikings, or whatever they end up calling themselves, in the NFCN division. And it would be a great opportunity for the team to ditch that hideous purple.

If dinky little Brown County can come up with money for a stadium, you'd think that Minneapolis could. Of course at $3/ticket, it might take 647 years to break even.

:lol:

ZachMN
10-27-2007, 08:29 AM
As far as the Gophers- I don't get that one, they have decided not to be a football school. They say they want to compete but they don't really do what's necessary to get it done. Minnesota has 5 Division one hockey schools within its borders plus NDSU and Wisconsin all within 250 miles so the football stadium thing is a mystery, Hockey is what matters as far as the U is concerned but it seems to take care of itself. Plus they are building the new stadium within spitting distance from where Memorial stadium used to be. How much sense does that make?

I will say this, I hate the Vikings but if they move they need to keep the name and records ala Cleveland. When the North Stars left they should have done the same thing. The 'Wild' how gay, stupid ugly colors ick....

I think the NFL would be cutting off its nose to spite its face if they let the Vikings walk. Big mistake. This is still a strong NFL city and they need to take care of the fans who are what matters. The tv ratings here are out of this world. All of the other stations play shit like "direct Buy' infomercials and face cream to make your zits go away while football is on so if the NFL alienates a large tv market, thats not good planning. L.A. looks good on paper but if football worked there the two teams they had wouldn't have left.

Cheesehead Craig
10-27-2007, 11:38 AM
The Goophs got a bunch of $ from their alumni to help build the stadium. The Metrodome was hurting their recruiting and everyone realized that an on-campus stadium was the only way to go.

It's a lot easier to back a state institution than a private team as far as the public $ is concerned.

As for the Goophs commitment to win at football, they at least got rid of Mason who got real bitter his last few seasons and coached his team out of several key wins. Brewster has already shown that he can recruit big time. He's already received verbal commitments from more 4 star recruits this season than Mason did in his last 3 seasons combined. Brewster just needs to become a better coach.

The Vikings are in a financial pickle given the 35W bridge situation and the public is stretching themselves already. I doubt a stadium will get done here.

digitaldean
10-27-2007, 02:34 PM
If they get an NFL team in Toronto, it will start the death of the CFL.

Not that it matters to me, but to those in Canada who do enjoy it, it would be a definite downer.

Mexico City has nearly 100,000 fill up Azteca stadium to see the Cowboys play. The NFL might move there as well.

The Bills are pushing to have a game in Toronto next year to help shore up their fan base. It might ensure the team staying there once Ralph Wilson passes on. Officials in the Buffalo area are in favor of it, because long term viability of that team is in jeopardy once Wilson kicks the bucket.

As for the Queens, it'd be a downer if they left. If they went to Toronto, it'd be hard initially to get the same intensity as the Minn-GB rivalry.

Zygi Wylf and Red McCombs, what a great ownership combo the Queens fans got!!!!

gbgary
10-27-2007, 03:09 PM
the nfl just needs to stay here and stop thinking they can make it a worldwide game. the rest of the world doesn't give a crap including mexico. the great game of soccer is king everywhere else. people in these other countries will show up for the odd game here and there but no team could survive anywhere else.

Lurker64
10-27-2007, 04:08 PM
The 'Wild' how gay, stupid ugly colors ick....

Though I don't love the name of the Team, I, for one, love the Wild Uniforms. They're a lot better than the Dallas Stars unis, IMO.

ZachMN
10-27-2007, 06:10 PM
The 'Wild' how gay, stupid ugly colors ick....

Though I don't love the name of the Team, I, for one, love the Wild Uniforms. They're a lot better than the Dallas Stars unis, IMO.

Compared to the old North Stars jerseys they suck. They put that black in there just before the move and it doesn't work. The old green gold and white were awesome. The Wild just do not do anything for me but then again I don't like the NHL....and I play hockey all the time go figure.....would rather play than watch I guess.

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2007, 09:44 PM
As for the Goophs commitment to win at football, they at least got rid of Mason who got real bitter his last few seasons and coached his team out of several key wins. Brewster has already shown that he can recruit big time. He's already received verbal commitments from more 4 star recruits this season than Mason did in his last 3 seasons combined. Brewster just needs to become a better coach.

I agree with the rest, but Brewster appears over his head. Saying he has more 4 star recruits than Mason isn't saying much. Mason would get about 1 of those players each year. I don't think Brewster is doing much better. He may have gotten 3 instead of 1. The WR who gave a verbal committment has stated that he'll take his 5 visits. Expect that committment to change. They often do.

b bulldog
10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
aS A FAN OF nfl FOOTBALL and a fan of the greatest football team, it would make me very sad to see the Vikes leave Minny. I love the rivalry and the Vikings have a lot of history in Minny. I do wish they could play outdoors though in a new stadium.

woodbuck27
10-28-2007, 10:56 PM
the nfl just needs to stay here and stop thinking they can make it a worldwide game. the rest of the world doesn't give a crap including mexico. the great game of soccer is king everywhere else. people in these other countries will show up for the odd game here and there but no team could survive anywhere else.

Personally I don't want the NFL to expand to Canada yet better here than in MEXICO or elsewhere. Not to worry about that coming to a reality and the CFL folding with the first NFL entry being in the large draw of Greater Toronto and the Niagra peninsula.

That area includes over 4 million people and lots of money.

I believe that TO would support an NFL franchise and the Toronto Argo's (CFL) would survive along with the rest of the CFL.

We love football up here (and yes) Soccor is really catching on, but the CFL still trumps sit. Hockey trumps football.

cpk1994
10-29-2007, 09:46 AM
It's all because the rich owner(s) of the Vikings won't pony up the cash for a stadium. Minneapolis is already paying for a new Twins Stadium and the state is already paying for a new Gophers stadium. Although I don't get why they are for the Gophers because they aren't very good, and never really are, I do understand the Twins, at least they have won a World Series or two in recent history. The Vikings haven't been anywhere near the super bowl since the moved in doors. Well, the one year the dome hosted the Super Bowl, that was as close as they ever got.

The people of MN should be poed about spending more money on another sports venue. Let the owners fork over some of the cash, it isn't like they don't have it.BEcuase the Gophers stadium is a hell of a lot cheaper to build, what with less amenties required, and of course the fact that the University is state funded.

cpk1994
10-29-2007, 09:49 AM
the nfl just needs to stay here and stop thinking they can make it a worldwide game. the rest of the world doesn't give a crap including mexico. the great game of soccer is king everywhere else. people in these other countries will show up for the odd game here and there but no team could survive anywhere else.Based on yesterys game and the regular season game in Mexico in the past, would contradict your "don't give a crap" sentiment.

Lurker64
10-29-2007, 09:51 AM
the nfl just needs to stay here and stop thinking they can make it a worldwide game. the rest of the world doesn't give a crap including mexico. the great game of soccer is king everywhere else. people in these other countries will show up for the odd game here and there but no team could survive anywhere else.Based on yesterys game and the regular season game in Mexico in the past, would contradict your "don't give a crap" sentiment.

Not to mention the fact that football is already a fairly popular sport in Canada. They play it differently up there, but those Canadians are smart so they won't get confused by the differences.

gbgary
10-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Not to mention the fact that football is already a fairly popular sport in Canada. They play it differently up there, but those Canadians are smart so they won't get confused by the differences.

ok...i'll give you canada but as i said people in other countries will only show up for the odd game or two. american football is a novelty everywhere else.

3irty1
10-29-2007, 10:57 AM

ok...i'll give you canada but as i said people in other countries will only show up for the odd game or two. american football is a novelty everywhere else.

It won't last in Europe but many countries are in love with baseball and that is an American sport. The thing with football is that it is a very complex game. In order for the masses to really love and understand the complexities I think you must have high school football first. That will give kids a chance to learn the rules and strategies and to love the game. I think its a good idea to at least test out. America doesn't give a rip about any international competition (besides golf). I'd rather have football become widespread than to get soccer here... yuck.

Merlin
10-29-2007, 12:01 PM
As far as the Gophers- I don't get that one, they have decided not to be a football school. They say they want to compete but they don't really do what's necessary to get it done. Minnesota has 5 Division one hockey schools within its borders plus NDSU and Wisconsin all within 250 miles so the football stadium thing is a mystery, Hockey is what matters as far as the U is concerned but it seems to take care of itself. Plus they are building the new stadium within spitting distance from where Memorial stadium used to be. How much sense does that make?

I will say this, I hate the Vikings but if they move they need to keep the name and records ala Cleveland. When the North Stars left they should have done the same thing. The 'Wild' how gay, stupid ugly colors ick....

I think the NFL would be cutting off its nose to spite its face if they let the Vikings walk. Big mistake. This is still a strong NFL city and they need to take care of the fans who are what matters. The tv ratings here are out of this world. All of the other stations play shit like "direct Buy' infomercials and face cream to make your zits go away while football is on so if the NFL alienates a large tv market, thats not good planning. L.A. looks good on paper but if football worked there the two teams they had wouldn't have left.

I agree that Minneapolis can be a strong NFL city. The problem is, people are going to see the team the Vikings are playing and not the Vikings. The problem with that this year is that they haven't played anyone yet. If the Patriots, Colts and Packers were at the dome, instant sell out. Minneapolis has a reputation for being a fair weather city in a lot of respects, especially with the Vikings. If the Vikings were winning, they would have their stadium, they're not and they look to be a few years away from being competitive again. By the time their contract with the dome runs out, the Vikings had better have a new stadium or they will be leaving MN.