PDA

View Full Version : JS CHAT with Lori Nickel

Bretsky
10-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Packer Chats
Visit JS Online's Packer Plus section
THURSDAY, OCT. 25, chat transcript
Lori Nickel

Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - Good afternoon Lori, My question is what has surprised you about the Packers team so far this season?

A: Lori Nickel - Kimberly, oh, just everything. In August, I was actually pessimistic. I picked the Packers to finish 6-10 with no run game, a poor special teams unit and too much inexperience at running back, fullback and second and third receiver. This was a team that couldn't score in the red zone before. And yet here they are 5-1. Other surprises: 1. Bob Sanders ability to keep the defense going, because I thought Jim Bates was sort of in an elite group and that there would be a drop off in his absence. This has been an exciting defense to watch, they're actually making plays. It wasn't long ago that nothing ever happened for this team on D and the offense felt it had to score 30 for a chance to win. 2. That the Packers have won without two of their last three first round draft choices - Ted Thompson builds his teams through the draft but Rodgers and Harrell haven't been able to contribute. 3. McCarthy's adaptability. He seems to be playing to Favre's strengths and letting 21 and 31 play to theirs, rather than making them play zone/cover 2. 3. Favre's ability to play well without Ahman Green in the backfield. And that No. 4 hasn't been leveled because someone missed a blitz pickup is impressive, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: TOM of PALATINE, IL - IS DESHAUN WYNN GOING AS BEN SHEETS FOR HALLOWEEN?

A: Lori Nickel - Oh snap.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Arsenio of L.A. On Fire - Oh boy, Deshawn Wynn sneezed and hurt his necky. What's next? A sprained cuticle? Ingrown hair? Existential angst? This is an instance when you wish Forrest Gregg were the coach.

A: Lori Nickel - Or Woody Hayes. Anyway, Wynn practiced today and said he's fine. I had a good chat with him, he doesn't feel he needs to prove his toughness to anyone, including his coaches...injuries can't be controlled.
Q: Rooster of South Dakota - What is the skinny on WR Robinson? Has anyone had the chance to see him practice? He would do well to work hard on catching under thrown passes

A: Lori Nickel - Two bobbled returns today on special teams, and on a few bursts out of the gate at the line of scrimmage he looked rough. Even McCarthy acknowledged that Robinson is not there yet. What does anyone expect? Guy has been out a year.
Q: Tino of Madison - Any chance the Packers go after Samkon Gado? We know he can produce in the Packer offense, so why not pick him up?!?!

A: Lori Nickel - No Samkon. Wrong system. That's why they let him go in the first place. He was picked up anyway. What a great kid, though. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Greg R. of Memphis, TN - You write alot of individual feature articles. Who are the real "characters" on this team ?

A: Lori Nickel - Nothing compared to the Hornung/McGee crowd, that's for sure. But Corey Williams. Charles Woodson with the killer outfits. Al Harris with the media. Brady Poppinga. Maybe Bigby. Man, that's it. Buncha nice guys. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: terry wurster of sister bay, wi - My question is about the running game, or lack thereof. It seems as though most observers are laying the blame at the feet of an inexperienced stable of running backs, though I think you need to look no further than the play at guard to get to the root of the problem. The combination of Colledge, Spitz,Coston and Moll have failed to open anything resembling running room inside. And for guys that are supposed to be athletic, you don't see them get downfield on screens effectively and don't seem to be pulled or used in traps much.Also, for the most part, they look too light in the shorts to play against the defensive tackles we face in our division. Do you see the current crop as the solution to the problem at guard that was supposedly fixed, or a problematic area that will continue to plague the run game?

A: Lori Nickel - Terry can you tell because you sit in the end zones? I am not sure how anyone can see the holes or not unless you see the game from that vantage point (not the TV view). Anyway, this is the same line basically that did OK last year in the run. Sorry. I know you all want to figure this out. You can all try to analyze this to death and show off your football knowledge because you know the run game is a lot more than the running back. But in this case it's not. The backs were miscast in the first place and they are young, pressing too much, getting hurt and are lost. No one gets any momentum with 7 carries a game, either. This was a problem from draft day. Can't put the expectations of a 1,200 yard rushing season on the shoulders of a rookie unless he's a top 5 overall pick. I can't fault the line right now. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Michael of Newport Beach, CA - Hi Lori - I noticed that ATL cut Grady Jackson, any chance he might make his way back to GB to add even more depth to the DL - or do we have too many bodies? Can you ever have too many good DTs? Also, I think Ricky Williams would be a bad choice, but it might make sense to try and sign RB Corey Dillon. Have the Pack ever shown any interest? Any reasons why would Dillon would not be a reasonable move?

A: Lori Nickel - Doubt it on Grady because of his age and because of the Packers depth there. Haven't heard a thing on Dillon.
Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - Lori, Do you think the Packers will pass the ball more against the Denver defense or do you think the Packers will try to run the ball against the Denver defense?

A: Lori Nickel - Denver has the top ranked passing defense in the NFL at 164 yards per game. It would seem there is no better time for the Packers to push the running game forward against the worst running defense in the NFL, yet Denver beat Pittsburgh by stuffing the run. That said, everyone was running in practice today: Jackson, Wynn, Morency, Grant. Yes, I would say if there's a game to really push the run, especially early, this is it.
Q: George of Chapel Hill - Lori, although I'm giddy over our 5-1 record, I'm concerned that TT didn't recognize our shortcomings with the OL and RB's. This is magnified by our lack of a TE that can stretch the field. I know it has been reported that TT drafts the best player available instead of drafting for need. (In hindsight Olsen would look great in green and gold). With Harrell being in the top three for first round picks who had not contributed this year, has this approach hurt us especially with Favre needing weapons and not knowing how many years Brett has left.

A: Lori Nickel - George, you don't think Donald Lee stretches the field? Even after his 60 yarder against Washington? I think he's having his best season. But yes, this year's first round pick has done nothing to help the Packers right now. But it's not like Thompson passed on a RB who was on the board.
Q: Jeff of Mercer, Wi - hi Lori...........I keep trying to get on this Packers' bandwagon, but honestly, it seems to me like they are winning with smoke and mirrors.....the defense is good enought to win with, most Sundays, but the offense outside of Favre and Driver has a ton of holes......is there something that you can see, being so close to the team? some intangible that leads you to believe the team can keep this winning thing going?.....my fear is that if the Packers lose a couple in a row, they could just as easily lose 5 or 6......am I wrong???

A: Lori Nickel - Jeff I totally agree with you. I could see a slide. I would call the GB tandem corners more than smoke and mirrors and there has been some true development and progress in the passing game. Otherwise, I have been waiting for the bottom to fall out from this team for three weeks and I have been wrong, so far.
Q: Nick of Milwaukee - Hey Lori, why is it harder to find the Packer Blog now and where have the updates been from practice??

A: Lori Nickel - If you simply go to JSOnline.com, the main page, the latest blog will be below, on thr right, with the 'G' logo. If you go to sports and click on Packers, you'll see the Blogs on the very top. They just moved it there a couple of days ago. If you guys think it's not as easy to find, I will let my editor know.
Q: Tom Lynum of stillwater, MN - I've never apologized for being a packer fan. So maybe this question falls into the category of a homer, but I think a 4 receiver set with Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Robinson would scare a lot of d-backs. I'd like to see the packers with that receiver set, I'd bet it'll be very effective.

A: Lori Nickel - I am not as high on Robinson yet. I don't think a year off does a veteran any good. Being ripped and in shape doesn't mean you can pluck away a 50-50 ball, shake off a defender, catch up with the playbook and all that. I don't agree with the folks who think he's the salvation on offense. I have a wait and see on him. The other WRs I like, yes, we've already seen that work.
Q: rob of park ridge, il - who wins in a race from end zone to end zone... brett favre, johnny jolly, or coach mccarthy?

A: Lori Nickel - Seriously? Y'all miss Cliff don't ya. Me too. Want me to get all crabby and sarcastic and put people in their place? You gotta send better stuff than this. I really like the doom and gloom questions with a 5-1 record and the play calling analysis and a good ol' swipe at Ted. Never gets old!
Q: John of Indy - Do you ever think Thompson will trade up early in a draft if a player he feels is of true value? I have to wonder if he made any efforts to go and get Peterson or Lynch this year. What would it have cost, next year's #1 and this year's 1 & 2? Harrell is nice but he seems to be a guy at this point that you can find every year on the first day. Bill Polian has commented that he would make the trade every time where he gave up his 2008 #1 to trade up in the second round to draft a stud LT. Lynch would make a huge difference on the Packers right now. Just thought you might have a read on if Thompson will make the big play to get this team into the upper tier, especially if Favre is gone. Thanks.

A: Lori Nickel - I have to wonder too. He wouldn't say, and never will. I am going off memory (risky) but I don't think Thompson has ever traded up, neither here or in Seattle, in that first round. While Thompson buys Ron Wolf's philosohy in general on how to run a team, he is not the risk taker that Wolf was. In fact when Wolf asked Thompson to review Favre back in '92 or whatever it was, and then when told Wolf was going to give up a first rounder for him, Thompson said: "Well, do you think it's a good idea?" Wolf: "Yeah, I do." Thompson: Then I do too." I don't think Thompson would ever made a move like that. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: George of Manassas, VA - I haven't seen an update on Franks or Blackmon. Do you have any more information? With the time Blackmon's missed, wouldn't it be hard for him to return this season, or are they hedging their bets with Walker out?

A: Lori Nickel - Good question. Who gets bumped to make room for Robinson, Will Blackmon to IR? Or does a Bodiford get cut? It would be hard to shut Blackmon down for a season again. He's out for the Monday game. So is Franks.
Q: Steven of Washington, DC - Bedard says "without question, the offensive line makes the RB, not the other way around." I think that's overstating the case, that both are important for a consistent running offense. Maybe a slight feather on the scale for the RB being more important, but no chance that there's any "without question" either way. What do you think?

A: Lori Nickel - I see lots of questions on this, so I would like to get to it. I believe the 5 linemen and the RB and the FB need to work well together. Remember the great 2003 running team? That line was so great, Gree, Davenport and Fisher were averaging 5 yards per carry or more (again, going off memory here, but close to that). That demonstrated a great line. But Green was the exceptional back because he could also make things happen on his own -- after he got a little daylight. To me, it's a 60-40 exchange between the RB and OL. The RB can't run without a decent line, but the line can't be expected to protect a 38 year old Hall of Famer and part the red sea for the RB. The RB has to make the first cut and go.
Q: Sue of Bethesda, MD - Hi Lori, In one of Greg Bedard's chats, he posited that it is more the O-line than the running back that makes the run game effective. Assuming I expressed Greg's position accurately, how do you think that applies to Adrian Peterson of the Vikings? Is the Viking's O-line creating all those opportunities for Peterson or is he just that good of a back? I'm asking your opinion because we Packer fans are going to have to deal with the likes of him for many years! Thanks in advance for possibly answering my question!

A: Lori Nickel - Yeah in that case, I would say 80 percent of what is happening in Minnesota is the back. The left side of that O-line is good, though.
Q: Jeff of Washington, DC - OK, so, in several chats Greg Bedard has singled out Darren Colledge as the weak link on the offensive line, while Bob McGinn (or Tom Silvertein?) has said more that once that Colledge is playing better than last year...then last week Bedard writes about how ineffectual Korey Hall is while McGinn writes a story about the significant impact Hall is making as a rookie....who should we believe?

A: Lori Nickel - That's for you to decide. It's nice to actually have debate within our own staff. I tend to make McGinn's word the gospel but I like Greg too and he's done well to back up his points.
Q: Steve of Reedsburg - Hey Lori, how much nicer is it to work with Greg Bedard than it was with Christl?

A: Lori Nickel - I miss reading Cliff because I learned something every time I read that stuff. I love working with Greg; very cool guy.
Q: Doug of Boston - I'd like to see a point/counterpoint segment with you and Bedard. The issue would be whether the line or the RBs are primarily at fault for the Packers' running game this year. He does not love the RBs by any means, but he seems to think the line, particularly the guards, are the main problem.

A: Lori Nickel - I think the RBs began the season in the hole already with injuries, etc. Then there's all these new faces. The o-line is working with a really good coordinator and a position coach who has first-hand experience.
Q: Buford of 'Stallis - Ms. Nickel, in your photo you are smiling. Nobody else in Sports is in his. Did you not get the memo, or is this just a testosterone issue?

A: Lori Nickel - They actually re-shot our mug shots a few years ago and the writers were told to look all serious for theirs. Me not being a columnist anymore, never got a new mug shot.
Q: Digger of Andover, MN - Hi Lori: Why is everyone down on Cullen Jenkins? When I see the term "bruised ribs" I read "broken ribs". You just can't expect a guy with a significant injury to play like he did when he was 100%. Despite the ribs (and the knee etc.) he's played pretty good. The good news is Jenkins ribs, like Kampman's, should continue to get better and better throughout the season. That means the d-line should continue to gradually improve from hear through the playoffs (that's right playoffs!) Agree?

A: Lori Nickel - Digger, we agree! For once. (By the way, I'll take your prediction for Monday night). I saw those comments when Cullen was injured, about how he needs to fight through it. Jenkins isn't known for being a slacker and an excuse maker, so the comments struck me as harsh. After awhile you can kinda tell who to suspect as fakers, and I'm telling you when I interviewed Jenkins after the game he injured his rib, he could barely speak and breathe. As for him not getting the sacks, well, there are what, 5, 6 of those a game, max? If Kampman and KGB are getting them now, it's hard for Jenkins to get his. Especially playing hurt.
Q: Steve of Reedsburg - Lori, nice article about the defense forcing turnovers, the nice thing about it is they don't OVER-emphasize trying to force a turnover, i.e. the players do it while staying within the scheme instead of taking risk(unlike , oh umm Darren Sharper who could care less if he got roasted 40 times a season if he got his mug on the highlights a couple times a year). I bring this up because everyone is in a panic because AJ Hawk hasn't made any "big plays". I say so what he's doing what he is supposed to do every week. If players play the game the way it is supposed to be played, well then the "big plays" will eventually come. I would however like to see them blitz Hawk alot more, do you think they aren't because when they have 3 LBs in the game in an obvious passing situation that Hawk is the best cover guy(and obviously Poppinga isn't)??

A: Lori Nickel - (thanks) I suppose. That's a good point. Hawk is sound and good at keeping people in front of him. Maybe that's part of it. But why blitz with such a strong front four? The Packers can get pressure that way from their d-line and then save a few spare blitzes for the element of surprise.
Q: Ty of Milwaukee, WI - Hey Lori, Was curious if you saw extra attention being paid to the running game this week..? I am looking forward to the game with Denver because I think their coach is one of the best strategy guys in the game. Would you agree this game might be very forth telling for what kind of team we will be moving forward this year..?

A: Lori Nickel - Not only are the Packers the worst rushing team in the NFL with just 65 yards a game, they're dead last with just 20 attempts per game as well. Best case scanrio -- they get on the board early with a passing TD at Denver, quiet the crowd. Then run and run and run and see who, if anyone, can get going. RBs might do their best work after the half when the defense is a little tired and the RB has some momentum going, but he needs carries for that to happen. That said, it's not worth sacrificing a victory over. If GB can win in the air, forget the run game and just be happy with winning via Favre.
Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - Lori, When Brett said he wanted Randy Moss during the draft weekend would you know say that Brett got his Randy Moss receiver now but it is Koren Robinson.

A: Lori Nickel - Nooooo way. You see those Pats highlights vs Miami? Moss is a freak. He stole a ball from a DB 50 inches off the ground in an end zone throw. I see now why Favre wanted that guy here so bad. The Moss I remembered was the one from Minnesota who quit on routes if he wasn't the target. In any case, Robinson is, at best, a Andre Rison addition, but I wouldn't put so much on him to be so great this early.
Q: gene of chicago - Thanks for taking my question. OK, carrying your opinion on the RB's to the logical conclusion, the starting RB next September will be ?????? Who?

A: Lori Nickel - What a fine question. I am not sure he's on the roster now. You guys should debate this on a blog.
Q: Andy of Davenport, Iowa - Lori, I was wondering what your take was on getting Koren Robinson back and do you see the possible good impact that I do with his return? Knowing he has some "catching" up to do and the potential for a really good three spread threat, Driver (all-pro caliber), Jennings (playing close to all-pro caliber) and Robinson (all-pro caliber) I think that this could expose a lot of no-too-deep secondaries. I think this allows Martin and Jones rolls to be improved and not counting on them for too much. I see it helping the running game too as opponents secondaries are not as able to cheat up on the running game as much. I believe that it was good news with the bye week allowing for more practice time with the team. Beside that there is the emotional boost with the addition of a pro-bowl type player to the team. Time will only tell whether he works out but without a crystal ball and him coming off a year long suspension, being hungry for the future potential contracts, being warned that this is it for him and being away from big city temptations that all this will sober Koren up and be a recipe for success. I know that when you love the Packers as I do that sometimes you look at things too much with rose colored glasses but I think it is all positive and it would be interesting for your objective take. I don't remember seeing an article with an really in depth take on him but you can correct me if I'm wrong. One more thing is that if you had asked me after the first 3 games, I would have been a little more cautious as to tinkering with the receivers but now I think he is worth the shot. What do you think?

A: Lori Nickel - Andy, I have a lot of reservations about the guy. What can I say. He's been through a lot in the last year that's probably been good for him personally, but his track record makes him unreliable. I know he was a good locker room guy before when he wasn't in trouble. But he's just got so much to prove, to himself, to the league. It's best that he's in a role that he doesn't need to carry the offense right now, so maybe he can take the baby steps back. Again, let's wait and see.
Q: steve plotkin of henderson - Now that preseason is long gone we don't get to here much about Aaron Rodgers. How is he doing and is he still making possitive strides as he did this summer?

A: Lori Nickel - No strides. Those were already made. He's just not getting the work in practice. He had already made great strides in the offseason and in QB school and all that. It will be very interesting to see what happens with him in the upcoming offseason.
Q: Tom of Scandia , Mn - Lori, Thanks for babysitting us this afternoon. How's Aaron Rogers holding up on the bench? This pre-seson he looked ready to play but the way Brett is going it could be a while. Last week he had to watch Jason Campbell and on Monday it will be Jay Cutler.Do you think that's starting to eat on him?

A: Lori Nickel - I do. He's ready to play. He should not sit another year behind Favre after this one. He needs to play somewhere. But Rodgers seems to have matured very well, he's taking it as well as he can. What else can he do? He's got to wait it out a little longer, and he's smart enough to make the most out of the little scraps he gets in practice.
Q: Doug of Boston - Given the problems K. Robinson is having in practice, do you think the Packers will activate him for this week's game? I haven't seen him of course, but I suspect it would be a mistake given the layoff. Frankly I think some people are expecting way too much from him. He's been gone for a year and even when he was younger and playing regularly he dropped a lot of passes. I guess it's good to have him back but I don't see him as much more than a possible KR and 4th WR this year.

A: Lori Nickel - I would have said yes on Tuesday. I still think so, but the coaches have two more days to decide. I mean, th guy looks rusty, but not awful. He's still talented.
Q: David B of Tulsa OK - Lori I don't mean to be obtuse, but can you tell me why you think fans who were touting Brett Favre for MVP 3 weeks ago are now convinced his arm is gone and might not make it until next week before it falls off?

A: Lori Nickel - Wow, what that a lightening rod issue that is, apparently. I don't mean to be insulting, because I think Packers fans are very informed and know the game very well, but who cares what they think? Most fans are reactionary and emotional and biased, so when they scream for firings/trades/benchings it doesn't mean much because its usually just venting. The real question with Favre, to me, is to see how he endures and holds up as the season wears on because he's not 25. His recovery time after Sunday has to be longer than it once was. As long as he can still be accurate on the 8 yarders, who cares? This team is very good at YAC.
Q: Daveyboy of Minneapolis - Ok Lori....metaphorically speaking....if you had to bet the mortgage on it, answer this question, will a Packer running back "break through" at some point this year and become consistently productive? If so, who?

A: Lori Nickel - Wynn has the most potential right now, if I had to pick, but I can't see any rookie really being consistent in a starting role as demanding as RB. It's just asking too much. They will have to run the ball by committee.
Q: John of Indy - Gotta get Teddy T. to make those bold moves. Makes me wonder if Wolf listened too much to those kind of arguments when he took Vonnie over Moss. Anyway, forecast calls for good weather in Denver, any chance Crosby redeems himself? And why don't they get the kickers out in Lambeau to practice this time of year?

A: Lori Nickel - The kickers usually go outside, on their own, and get those outdoor reps in, at least they used to. I haven't asked Crosby about that lately. But they should be doing field goal work out there on their own, they have with Stock as coordinator in the past. . . . Alright, that's it for me on this chat. I am sorry I haven't gotten to all of the questions. There's a ton of good ones still left. Remember, Greg Bedard chats after the games and you can always talk and debate stuff on our blogs, which is fun to read. Thanks for letting me be a part of your weekly chat cycle with McGinn/Silverstein/Bedard and thanks for reading the JS.

BallHawk
10-26-2007, 04:40 PM
I hope the change of your avatar won't mess with the Packer's mojo, B. :D

Bretsky
10-26-2007, 05:01 PM

Na; can't blame me for this one :)

My new Avatar is "The Top Turtle" Avatar

Noodle
10-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Q: Arsenio of L.A. On Fire - Oh boy, Deshawn Wynn sneezed and hurt his necky. What's next? A sprained cuticle? Ingrown hair? Existential angst? This is an instance when you wish Forrest Gregg were the coach.

A: Lori Nickel - Or Woody Hayes. Anyway, Wynn practiced today and said he's fine. I had a good chat with him, he doesn't feel he needs to prove his toughness to anyone, including his coaches...injuries can't be controlled.

I get absoultely PISSED when people crack on NFL players for being injured. Those guys take hits that would put any one of us in a hospital for a month. And they get up and do it again.

I had an a-hole Woody Hayes-type coach who would push guys to go back in after sustaining serious injuries, and they'd usually end up getting hurt even worse. Playing through exhaustion is one thing, playing through a head, neck or joint injury is just stupid and irresponsible.

We've been spoiled by Favre's incredible resiliance. That is not the norm. Guys get hurt. Badly. Good teams don't push hurt players to go, they put in the number 2 and keep on rolling.

son of a vic
10-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I can't believe I wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this mushy oatmeal.
Lori Nikel doesn't bring anything to the table, that you can't here on a barstool at the local tavern.

Bretsky
10-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Lori Nikel doesn't bring anything to the table, that you can't here on a barstool at the local tavern.

IMO that was one of her best chats; she actually appeared to know as much of some of us in here. Or she just reads our stuff :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
IMO that was one of her best chats;

agreed, she had lots of good observations.

most chats are pretty boring, anyway. Except for Cliff/Clefty.

son of a vic
10-26-2007, 06:16 PM

IMO that was one of her best chats; she actually appeared to know as much of some of us in here. Or she just reads our stuff :lol:

I need an " oh snap" reference mixed in, as much as I need a friendly visit from a jagged finger-nailed proctologist.

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2007, 06:18 PM
. To me, it's a 60-40 exchange between the RB and OL. The RB can't run without a decent line, but the line can't be expected to protect a 38 year old Hall of Famer and part the red sea for the RB. The RB has to make the first cut and go.

I totally agree with her 60-40 split. The running back deserves most of the credit and the blame.

GBRulz
10-26-2007, 09:30 PM

Na; can't blame me for this one :)

My new Avatar is "The Top Turtle" Avatar

I was thinking it was called the "Gay Pride Turtle" ?!? :wink: