PDA

View Full Version : Master Jim

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Broncos' Bates not bitter
By JASON WILDE

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — He definitely isn't bitter. Oh, he was disappointed, and he still believes he was the best man for the job.

But now that he's almost two years removed from it, he's no longer as bothered by the way it all played out. What is bothering Jim Bates, at least right now, is this darn hip of his.

His 38 years of coaching — 16 in the NFL, including the 2005 season as the Green Bay Packers' defensive coordinator — have been defined by his uniquely enthusiastic, high-energy style, and by his uncanny knack during practice for sprinting to the spot where the ballcarrier and his defender had met only a split-second before.

Now, he just needs a place to sit down.

"I've got to rest. I've got a bad hip," the 61-year-old Bates said with a chuckle — and groan — Thursday afternoon at the Denver Broncos' Dove Valley practice facility. "It's killing me that I haven't been able to run around like I used to. I've got to have surgery — they don't have to replace it, but they do have to scope it. It's taken a lot away from me."

It hasn't taken away his passion, though, or his ability to connect with his players, who swear by him just as they did in Green Bay.

Bates' official title with the Broncos is assistant head coach/defense, and in an odd twist of fate, the man he replaced in Green Bay, Bob Slowik, serves as defensive coordinator beneath him.

But the 3-3 Broncos have struggled defensively — they rank 20th overall, including dead last in the 32-team NFL in run defense entering Monday night's game against the Packers at Invesco Field — and that, too, is bothering Bates.

"It's taken longer than I'd hoped," said Bates, who inherited from Slowik a Packers defense that ranked 25th in 2004 and turned essentially the same players into the seventh-ranked defense in the league in 2005, when the team went 4-12 under head coach Mike Sherman. "It was a real smooth transition with Green Bay and I felt very, very good about the progress we made. It wasn't one of the greatest years in Packer history as far as the record, but the guys gave it everything on the practice field and played well on Sundays for the most part."

Which is why Bates was crushed when general manager Ted Thompson passed him over and hired Mike McCarthy as Sherman's replacement in January 2006.

Bates then turned down McCarthy's offer to stay on as defensive coordinator, and the Packers ended up paying Bates a $1.1 million settlement to buy out the final two years of his contract.

Asked Thursday why he picked McCarthy, whose team has won nine of its last 10 games, over Bates, Thompson said Bates had "a very good interview" and was "an outstanding candidate."

"I think he's a very good coach. Players rally toward him, his enthusiasm is infectious," Thompson said. "There's no magical potion you can take to help you make the right decision. You have to go with your gut feeling.

"He's a heck of a coach, and it would have been nice to have been able to keep him (as defensive coordinator). But that's also understandably an uncomfortable position to be put in, both for him and for Mike. I think the best thing was probably separation at that point."

Bates, in turn, spent the year out of football — although he kept his home in Green Bay — until accepting coach Mike Shanahan's job offer in January.

He admitted that it took him almost all year to get over the disappointment of not getting the job, especially since it probably was his last shot at being an NFL head coach.

His only pro experience as the boss came in 1985 with the USFL's San Antonio Gunslingers and in 2004, when he took over the 1-8 Miami Dolphins after Dave Wannstedt's resignation.

Bates, who had been the team's defensive coordinator for the previous 41⁄2 seasons, led Miami to three victories in the final seven games.

"It was definitely a tough time for me, because I felt so positive about the situation — I hated to see Mike Sherman let go, but when the opportunity came available, I thought I was a top prospect, and I was really looking forward to it," Bates said. "The year before in Miami, when I took over, I thought we did a great job. I was ready for that opportunity, and you only get them so often. So it hurt. But life goes on and you move on. As it all turned out, it turned out for the better."

Why? Because Bates' family has been brought together here in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains.

His son, Jeremy, is the Broncos' wide receivers and quarterbacks coach, while his son, James, works as a play-by-play announcer for the Mountain West Conference and lives in nearby Boulder, close to he and wife Beverly.

So when asked if he'll ever get a shot at being an NFL head coach, Bates' reply is sincere and to-the-point.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "Right now, shoot, I'm in Colorado, my sons are here with me, my immediate family's all here. I'll never look back over my career as far as not having had a chance to be an NFL head coach. You have to take what's given, and go forward."

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2007, 05:59 PM
He admitted that it took him almost all year to get over the disappointment of not getting the job, especially since it probably was his last shot at being an NFL head coach.

I don't like the double standard. If a quarterback is not named the starter, he's expected to deal with the dissapointment and hold the clipboard with a stiff upper lip. I don't blame Bates or the QB for feeling bad about the situation. It's about the same deal. A player has a narrow window of time to make it just like an older coach. If a player quits, he has a bad attitude.

Why is it OK for a coach to quit and spend a year sulking? I think it was chump of him to quit. I hope the Packers pick apart their defense.

Joemailman
10-26-2007, 06:15 PM
There were a ton of HC vacancies following the 2005 season, so I suspect Bates thought he had a good shot at one of them.

Amazing how things have changed. A lot of people were ready to run TT out of town after a 4-12 season, firing Sherman, and passing on Bates for a relative unknown in McCarthy. TT must have had ice in his veins to make the moves he did.

Merlin
10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I can understand why Thompson passed don Bates. A lot of teams did. He is a great defensive mind but he lacks a certain something that every good coach has. What that is I don't know but you can definitely see it isn't there with him. I think Bates had more of a right to be upset with the Dolphins. They expect the guy to step in and take over the team and then throw him out after the season. If he was bitter against Green Bay, I wonder if it had anything to do with any "under the table" talks, as in "you will get your shot" if you come to Green Bay. Otherwise, it's childish for him to act as though he deserved the Green Bay job. He was only here a season.

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Bates then turned down McCarthy's offer to stay on as defensive coordinator, and the Packers ended up paying Bates a $1.1 million settlement to buy out the final two years of his contract.

And this is the other stinky part of this deal: How does a guy who says he doesn't want to continue doing his job get paid anyway!?

Maybe I don't understand the contract, but this appears to be a bullshit golden parachute, another double standard. A lower-level person would rightfully just been sent packing.

ahaha
10-26-2007, 11:23 PM

And this is the other stinky part of this deal: How does a guy who says he doesn't want to continue doing his job get paid anyway!?

Maybe I don't understand the contract, but this appears to be a bullshit golden parachute, another double standard. A lower-level person would rightfully just been sent packing.

He's being a whiney crybaby. He should be happy he was treated so fairly. Was he some football coaching god, that we should have handed him the job without considering others?

Scott Campbell
10-27-2007, 06:45 AM
"I think he's a very good coach. Players rally toward him, his enthusiasm is infectious," Thompson said. "There's no magical potion you can take to help you make the right decision. You have to go with your gut feeling.

Gut feeling - eh? Some here call it - ego.

Bates would have been the easy out on the decision, as he was a huge fan favorite. I guess McCarthy was another one of Ted's "I'm smarter than you" picks.

MJZiggy
10-27-2007, 09:01 AM

Gut feeling - eh? Some here call it - ego.

Bates would have been the easy out on the decision, as he was a huge fan favorite. I guess McCarthy was another one of Ted's "I'm smarter than you" picks.

Evidently he's smarter than us.

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Evidently he's smarter than us.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/6ed4378e/screens_feature-36888.jpeg

Yes, yes he is, Sister Ziggy.

MJZiggy
10-27-2007, 10:11 AM
*Just send in your donations and you'll be forgiven for what you said in the GC...

*You have absolutely no sense of humor this morning!

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I know you are, but what am I?

Joemailman
10-27-2007, 11:05 AM

I think TT agreed to honor the contract with the expectation that Bates would sign with another team for the 2006 season. In that case the Packers would not have to pay Bates unless his contract with the new team was for less than what he had with the Packers. I'm sure TT didn't want to get in to a nasty dispute with Bates given that he probably had some players who were disappointed that Bates didn't get the HC job.

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Javon got what he deserved with his knee and now Bates is getting what he deserves with the hip.

Good for him. I hope he suffers extreme pain for the rest of his life :)

Partial
10-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Javon got what he deserved with his knee and now Bates is getting what he deserves with the hip.

Good for him. I hope he suffers extreme pain for the rest of his life :)

I hope you don't ever teach your kids to wish ill will on someone like that. Terrible.

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
It was meant to be a joke, poking fun at HH's distaste for Master Bates. I decided to bring Walker just because he's my favorite punching bag.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2007, 09:14 PM
I can understand why Thompson passed don Bates. A lot of teams did. He is a great defensive mind but he lacks a certain something that every good coach has. What that is I don't know but you can definitely see it isn't there with him. I think Bates had more of a right to be upset with the Dolphins. They expect the guy to step in and take over the team and then throw him out after the season. If he was bitter against Green Bay, I wonder if it had anything to do with any "under the table" talks, as in "you will get your shot" if you come to Green Bay. Otherwise, it's childish for him to act as though he deserved the Green Bay job. He was only here a season.

I see it as well..or don't see it. There is a certain swish to his stride. I'm certain he isn't playing on our team.

LL2
10-28-2007, 07:31 AM
If he was bitter against Green Bay, I wonder if it had anything to do with any "under the table" talks, as in "you will get your shot" if you come to Green Bay.

I'm sure there was some of this. Every pundit thought that Bates was the best signing they had that year. I'm sure TT told him he would be given a chance, an interview, but no promises.

Patler
10-28-2007, 08:53 AM

It is common procedure in the NFL. If the HC gets fired, all the assistant coaches who have unexpired contracts are paid even if the new HC offers them a job and they decline.

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2007, 11:41 AM
It is common procedure in the NFL. If the HC gets fired, all the assistant coaches who have unexpired contracts are paid even if the new HC offers them a job and they decline.

How often does this happen? I can't remember another case. It is common in the same sense that it's common procedure not to suspend coaches when they get caught in brazen cheating scandals.

I resent the stinky double standard. If you are high enough on the totem pole, you get a pass. If a player cheats with steroids, he's suspeded. If a player doesn't finish a contract, the team has him in court, arguing over how much of the signing bonus to recover.

Patler
10-28-2007, 12:31 PM

How often does this happen? I can't remember another case. It is common in the same sense that it's common procedure not to suspend coaches when they get caught in brazen cheating scandals.

I resent the stinky double standard. If you are high enough on the totem pole, you get a pass. If a player cheats with steroids, he's suspeded. If a player doesn't finish a contract, the team has him in court, arguing over how much of the signing bonus to recover.

A couple years back when so many HCs were let go there was mention about a lot of them getting paid. Most have very short contracts. My understanding is that other than coordinators or the elevated "assistant head coach" designees, most run-of-the-mill assistants have two year contracts. If the take another job, they only get the difference if their new job is less.