View Full Version : "MENTAL BLOCK"- Zone Blocking Troubling

Bretsky
10-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Mental Block
Zone blocking troubles tackles Packers
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 26, 2007

Green Bay - Pass protection is and probably always will be the most important part of the job for an offensive tackle in the National Football League.

Packers tackles Mark Tauscher, left, and Chad Clifton have dealt with a change in blocking philosophy under coach Mike McCarthy.

Left tackle Chad Clifton and right tackle Mark Tauscher have protected and still do protect Brett Favre very well since they moved into the Green Bay Packers' lineup as rookies in 2000.

Coach Mike McCarthy, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin and line coach James Campen know that, value that and factor that into any evaluation of their two veteran tackles.

But when a team's running game ranks dead last in the NFL and every day brings more questions, it gets harder and harder for coaches to remember what Clifton and Tauscher do in protection and ignore their shortcomings as run blockers.

On Monday night, the Packers will play in Denver, the birthplace of the zone run game that they installed in 2006. Despite losing two starting offensive linemen, the Broncos still rush for 130.7 yards each week behind a unit led by left tackle Matt Lepsis.

"Very good, very active," Campen said when asked about Lepsis. "He gets flat down the line on the back side and makes cuts. He's quick to the aiming point. Not a real overly powerful guy but he busts his butt and he finishes."

Lepsis, 33, started at right tackle from 1999-2003 before moving to the left side in '04. At 6 feet 5 inches and 290 pounds, he epitomizes the long, lean blockers that retired line coach Alex Gibbs built his zone scheme around in Denver.

Clifton (6-5, 319) and Tauscher (6-3½, 316) were drafted at a time when the Packers' ground game under Mike Sherman was based on power. The tackle would block down and the guard would pull around to clear a lane for Ahman Green.

Neither Clifton nor Tauscher ever was regarded as an elite run blocker. Still, they more than held their own.

For a year and a half, McCarthy and his coaches have preached how wonderful the zone scheme would be. But it didn't work last year with Green and it hasn't come close to working this year with much lesser backs.

The linemen basically were the same last year and this year. Also the same is their unacceptable performance as run blockers.

"Everyone on the line is just OK," Campen said. "None of us are executing it the way we want it to be done. You have to do your techniques and execute it and win and finish."

As was the case in 2005, the major problem has been at guard. Daryn Colledge has been responsible for a team-high 10 "bad" runs, and Junius Coston is next with seven. Clifton has four. Tauscher and center Scott Wells, rated by Campen as the club's most consistent blocker, have 2½ each.

The Packers are so bad on third and 1 that McCarthy has called passes on six of 10 attempts. Three of the four carries by running backs have failed, each time because guards broke down

Clifton, 31, continues to be a liability on back-side cut blocks. Despite Clifton's bad knees, Philbin says there's nothing wrong with his quickness or flexibility, and Campen insists he's stronger than ever before.

"I think it's more a mental thing than lack of quickness to get from A to B," Philbin said. "It's a little bit of confidence. Then sometimes you don't like to work on your weaknesses."

Clifton has been blessed with amazing physical gifts. No one ever described him as passionate or physical.

"I've been here five years and I don't know that Chad has lost any ability to generate movement at the point of attack," Philbin said. "Has Chad been a bulldozer in the five years I've been here? I wouldn't say that's accurate, either, at any time in his career.

"One of the things that has plagued our running game, not just Chad, is the overall inability to finish blocks and finish runs. We're still searching for an identity in the run game."

In a direct comparison with Clifton, Tauscher probably has been the more effective run blocker over the years. But Tauscher also plays the more heavy-duty of the two positions and pales in comparison to some of the mammoth right tackles who can engulf defenders.

Although Tauscher is 30, Campen said he detected no slippage in his strength, horsepower or flexibility.

"He can (get push) at times," Philbin said. "He's physically big enough. If you examined his career in the last five years, he's a guy that stays on his feet well and kind of covers guys up. You've never going to say he's a guy who can take his guy and move him 10 yards down the field."

After a shaky opener, Tauscher said he had played "fairly well."

"As far as point of attack, I feel like I cover people up and don't allow a lot of penetration," he said. "Am I the most dominant run blocker in the world? No. But I do feel like I do my job."

It's just that the job, at least as far as the run game, changed for Tauscher and Clifton with the arrival of McCarthy.

That meant that, in their seventh seasons, the tackles had to learn the art of cutting a defender's legs out from underneath him. It also meant that the Packers' only two proven linemen entering '06 weren't cut from the classic linear mold of the master, Alex Gibbs.

"It's something that's definitely acquired," Tauscher said. "It's not just a one step and cut. You need to get around him and read it. A lot of times, if a guy plays it soft, it's going to be very difficult to cut him."

Despite the Packers' 5-1 record, McCarthy and his coaches have been stung, if not embarrassed, by their rushing numbers of 65.67 yards per game and 3.26 yards per carry. Maybe their No. 1 objective during the bye was doing something about it.

Denver, with the NFL's worst run defense, couldn't appear on the schedule at a more opportune time.

Bretsky
10-27-2007, 08:15 AM
OUTSTANDING ARTICLE that breaks down a lot of what we've debated in here.

A few notes:

1. Clifton and Tauscher's talents IMO really don't fit the Zone Blocking Scheme

2. IMO that scheme seems to fit Wells and Colledge the Best

3. While it's tempting to switch back to a power type scheme, I'm not sure our old power scheme would fit Colledge at all. Not sure about Wells. I think Spitz might be better in the old scheme.

4. Our RB's stink as a group; coupled with a system that doesn't fit over 40% of our starters that makes it extremely challenging.

5. There is a reason Green Bay has passed on six of ten third and one. We did rush four times and failed three of four times.

McGinn is top notch
Silverstein is decent

The other writers are very sub par

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm not turned off by Bedard yet. I'm still giving him a chance. I think he's done a decent job so far. He just needs to get some trust and raport with his readers. I don't know about you guys, but if I don't trust and respect someones opinion, I sort of ignore it. The guy needs a chance to prove he knows what he's talking about.

Bretsky
10-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm not turned off by Bedard yet. I'm still giving him a chance. I think he's done a decent job so far. He just needs to get some trust and raport with his readers. I don't know about you guys, but if I don't trust and respect someones opinion, I sort of ignore it. The guy needs a chance to prove he knows what he's talking about.

Up to this point he just bores me

McGinn is the guy who is interesting...whether we agree with him or not.

Silverstein gathers facts us very well and is a good writer

I really liked Cliffy; I was always fine paying $3 a month to read Insider.

But this year the money is hardly worth it anymore

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2007, 08:54 AM
OUTSTANDING ARTICLE that breaks down a lot of what we've debated in here.

A few notes:

3. While it's tempting to switch back to a power type scheme, I'm not sure our old power scheme would fit Colledge at all. Not sure about Wells. I think Spitz might be better in the old scheme.

4. Our RB's stink as a group; coupled with a system that doesn't fit over 40% of our starters that makes it extremely challenging.

5. There is a reason Green Bay has passed on six of ten third and one. We did rush four times and failed three of four times.

I agree completely. This kind of sums up all we've discussed. I'd add a couple of points...

6. Discontinuing ZBS is a non-issue. McCarthy is going to keep it. Young OL and young RB's are in the ZBS mold. Replacing our veteran tackles with ZBS mold OL is probably where we're headed.

7. Reading between the lines, I sense some resistance to ZBS by Clifton and Tauch. Young OL are moldable. Old dogs are set in their ways. As a result the OL is in a kind of limbo, caught between true ZBS and Sherman era blocking. The result is poor run blocking. Coaches don't want to get too radical with regard to Clifton and Tauch because they do a good job -- all things considered -- pass blocking for Favre.

Time will take care of this problem. In the meantime, unless Clifton and Tauch grow a mean streak, we'll have to live with what we got the balance of this season. Hope it doesn't cost us the playoffs.

Joemailman
10-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I wonder if Tauscher and Clifton are reluctant to do cut blocking. They may have spent several years hearing how their defensive teammates detest teams that resort to cut blocking regularly. Clifton especially may be reluctant to do it because he was a victim of a particularly vicious cut block by Warren Sapp.

MJZiggy
10-27-2007, 11:00 AM
That wasn't a cut block, it was a cheap, unnecessary shot that he took just because he could get away with it. I didn't think he threw himself at Clifton's feet.

Bretsky
10-27-2007, 11:19 AM
No evidence that they are not willing to give 100% so I have a hard time buying into that. Tauscher is not the fast athletic type the ZBS is ideal for. But both have always displayed a good attitude as far as we kow

I just don't think it's ideal for their skills, but those two are undoubtedly the top two pass blockers.

We don't have a RB that can make the OL look any better and we don't have a good enough OL to make subpar talent at RB better.

That probably means we're stuck with inconsistency the rest of the year. We'll just have to keep winning the way we have been. Good defense, solid specials, win the turnover game, and expose poor pass defenses when we can.

Joemailman
10-27-2007, 11:20 AM
That wasn't a cut block, it was a cheap, unnecessary shot that he took just because he could get away with it. I didn't think he threw himself at Clifton's feet.

I understand that what Sapp did was a cheap shot, and I wasn't comparing it to a legitimate cut block. However, I thought it was a low hit (perhaps I'm wrong), and if it was low, I could see where a guy who had to go through the the pain that Clifton did would be reluctant to go low on somebody. Just speculating here.

Patler
10-27-2007, 11:37 AM

I understand that what Sapp did was a cheap shot, and I wasn't comparing it to a legitimate cut block. However, I thought it was a low hit (perhaps I'm wrong), and if it was low, I could see where a guy who had to go through the the pain that Clifton did would be reluctant to go low on somebody. Just speculating here.

It was a very high hit as I recall. Sapp sort of jumped up, hitting Clifton in the shoulder/chest when Clifton had his feet planted, causing his upper body to jerk violently relative to his hips, tearing the muscles in the pelvic area. He was sort of blind-sided by it.

Patler
10-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Colledge may seem to fit the scheme, yet he is terrible at it. The team leader in the cause of bad runs. The article condemns Clifton and Tauscher, yet they are responsible for only 4 and 2.5 bad runs, respectively. Colledge has 10, and Coston in very limited playing time has 7. I'm willing to give Coston some leeway. He is seeing his first live action. Colledge I'm losing patience with.

When Tauscher got hurt last year, an article stated he was their most reliable on zone plays. This article seems to criticize other aspects of his play, based more on power.

The long and short of it is the guards are still the problem. The tackles are adequate. The guards are not.

I am extremely disappointed in Colledge at this point in the season.

Bretsky
10-27-2007, 12:08 PM

Colledge may seem to fit the scheme, yet he is terrible at it. The team leader in the cause of bad runs. The article condemns Clifton and Tauscher, yet they are responsible for only 4 and 2.5 bad runs, respectively. Colledge has 10, and Coston in very limited playing time has 7. I'm willing to give Coston some leeway. He is seeing his first live action. Colledge I'm losing patience with.

When Tauscher got hurt last year, an article stated he was their most reliable on zone plays. This article seems to criticize other aspects of his play, based more on power.

The long and short of it is the guards are still the problem. The tackles are adequate. The guards are not.

I am extremely disappointed in Colledge at this point in the season.

I'm disappointed in both Colledge and Spitz.

I also don't give Coston as much leeway because while young, he's been here a couple years as well

Joemailman
10-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Colledge was a big part of the reason why some of us thought the running game would be better, or at least no worse this year. He has been a huge disappointment. Perhaps tackle is his best position, and he may be Clifton's heir apparent, but that doesn't help now.

RashanGary
10-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Barbre might be the guy to play LT in a few years. He's supposed to be a very skilled pass blocker but dumb as a box of rocks.

Outside on an island seems like a good place for him.

Patler
10-27-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm disappointed in both Colledge and Spitz.

I also don't give Coston as much leeway because while young, he's been here a couple years as well

I'm not as disappointed in Spitz because my expectations were lower. When everyone is healthy, you might see SPitz and Coston as the starters.

I give Coston leeway because some aspects of the zone plays, they do not block in practice (usually the cuts). Those they never really practice completely. It takes game experience, and he has only a couple games so far.

Carolina_Packer
10-27-2007, 08:10 PM
We don't have a RB that can make the OL look any better and we don't have a good enough OL to make subpar talent at RB better.

Pretty much describes the issue in one sentence! Nice work.

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm tired of talking about the running game. Somebody talk about the improved special teams, the passing game, or the defense rising to the occasion in several games.

Partial
10-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm tired of talking about the running game. Somebody talk about the improved special teams, the passing game, or the defense rising to the occasion in several games.

The special teams, especially the return coverage, has been HUGELY improved. Jarrett Bush may not have a spot as a Nickleback, but he has a spot on the roster for his ability as a gunner. He is very fast and seems to lay the wood a lot. He has been in on countless special teams turnovers this year. I am very, very pleased with the punt coverage in particular.

Patler
10-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Did anyone see the blurb about Bodiford? Apparently on the second half kickoff he wiped out the entire wedge. Stock told him it was a great play on his part, but he can't keep doing it like that or he will never last!

the_idle_threat
10-27-2007, 11:41 PM

It was a very high hit as I recall. Sapp sort of jumped up, hitting Clifton in the shoulder/chest when Clifton had his feet planted, causing his upper body to jerk violently relative to his hips, tearing the muscles in the pelvic area. He was sort of blind-sided by it.

I remember it as a high hit also---I think it was even shoulder-to-shoulder. Clifton wasn't expecting it though, and he went crashing down right on his side. I don't think the hit itself caused all the injury; I think it was the way he landed. He landed directly on his hip.

KYPack
10-28-2007, 10:45 AM
No B.

I still wanna bitch about the line.

Tausch and Cliffy always were average run blockers, Pass Pro experts. They are getting older but can still hang in there. NONE of the 2006 trio of OLineman can do the job. They must know the scheme by now. Their technique (from what I know about it, I was a back) seems OK, they all have the same flaw. They don't push anybody around. There is no shove from any of the 3. Spitz is the worst. In two years, I don't think I've ever seen him execute an effective run block.

Wellsy is OK. He's a fiesty guy and gives as good as he gets.

I feel we need a guard to team with Coston. Evidently, Coston is a box of rock, but the guy can push people around if he can figure out just who that person is supposed to be.

We need to draft a guard and get the best street FA guard TT can find.

Let 'em fight it out in camp.

Next camp is the big decider. If these 3 goofs don't show any progress, cut one or two of 'em & move on.

I would keep Colledge. Him and Barbe might be the T's of the future when Cliffy nad Tausch finally give out.

Bretsky
10-28-2007, 10:56 AM
No B.

I still wanna bitch about the line.

Tausch and Cliffy always were average run blockers, Pass Pro experts. They are getting older but can still hang in there. NONE of the 2006 trio of OLineman can do the job. They must know the scheme by now. Their technique (from what I know about it, I was a back) seems OK, they all have the same flaw. They don't push anybody around. There is no shove from any of the 3. Spitz is the worst. In two years, I don't think I've ever seen him execute an effective run block.

Wellsy is OK. He's a fiesty guy and gives as good as he gets.

I feel we need a guard to team with Coston. Evidently, Coston is a box of rock, but the guy can push people around if he can figure out just who that person is supposed to be.

We need to draft a guard and get the best street FA guard TT can find.

Let 'em fight it out in camp.

Next camp is the big decider. If these 3 goofs don't show any progress, cut one or two of 'em & move on.

I would keep Colledge. Him and Barbe might be the T's of the future when Cliffy nad Tausch finally give out.

KY,

Are you suggesting TT should sign a legit OL Free Agent and his 06 draft wasn't as great as most of us have made it out to be ? :lol:

They know the scheme; they just haven't taken the next step that many of us thought they would after their rookie seasons

Very Very Disappointed in that no matter how you look at it