PDA

View Full Version : Wireless upgrade

SkinBasket
10-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Draft N or G?

superfan
10-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I'd go with Draft N. There is risk in buying one that is not compatible with the forthcoming ratified N standard. But the Draft N routers on the market now are G compatible, which is what you would have anyway if you just bought G.

I recently installed a Linksys WRT150N and was pretty satisfied with it.

Really, if you are only using wireless for an internet connection, it doesn't matter much what you get in terms of performance, since even 802.11b exceeds most residential bandwidth. The better performance only comes into play if you are transferring files on a home network.

N provides the greatest range, so that is a factor too. So SkinBasket, if you want to offer wireless to your victims at the bottom of that well in your basement, you might want to go with N.

It rubs the lotion on its skin...

SkinBasket
10-28-2007, 09:05 AM
we get 5MB dl, so good bandwidth is appreciated, but not necessarily the biggest issue. The range is the biggest factor. Until I start fishing line through walls, the router's got to be in the basement. The notebook computer is usually used on the top floor and the Wii is on the other side of the house on the main floor. A lot of walls between everything, and my old ass 11b isn't getting it done.

Was the linksys easy to set-up? I've always been a dlink guy, and the equipment's never failed me. Not sure there's much of a difference these days, but linksys does make some sexy looking routers.

And the folks in the hole only get bagels and tea, no hotspot access.

Partial
10-28-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't understand why 802.11N is taking so damn long. It has been in draft w/ IEEE for like 5 years now it seems.

Freak Out
10-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Well....I've had a fine linksys G router for years but if your going new go N.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/

SkinBasket
10-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Looks like I'm going with the DLink 655. All the tests I've seen demonstrate best throughput and range.

Partial
10-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Looks like I'm going with the DLink 655. All the tests I've seen demonstrate best throughput and range.

On the otherhand, look into some of the older Linksys G routers. You can vastly increase their range with a simple firmware flash. I believe you can take them up to about 3-6x as far.

superfan
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I've been happy with DLink too, that should be a good choice. I wouldn't see either is any easier (or more challenging) than the other to configure.

Freak Out
10-29-2007, 01:00 PM
I've had two very bad experiences with Dlink products before so have stuck with the Linksys line as of late and my super G is plenty fast....but I'm thinking of going with a voip cell phone to use at home that uses your wireless network to place free calls so may be forced to upgrade. I would appreciate a mini review of the router you purchase if you have the time or inclination.

Freak Out
11-06-2007, 11:33 AM
More router info. You buy one yet Skin?

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/802-11n-router-roundup.ars

mraynrand
11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I recently installed a Linksys WRT150N and was pretty satisfied with it.

I installed the same thing. My second computer is about 50-feet away, but the signal goes through two brick walls, a bunch of plaster, and up a floor, yet is still at about 65 plus percent signal all the time.

Guiness
11-06-2007, 05:37 PM

On the otherhand, look into some of the older Linksys G routers. You can vastly increase their range with a simple firmware flash. I believe you can take them up to about 3-6x as far.

Mmmm, is that entirely true? I have a WRT54G, and looked into this. I decided it was smoke and mirrors...

You could boost the output of the unit, sure...but you couldn't make the receiving more sensitive, or boost the output of the end device, i.e. the wireless card on your laptop.

So all you would accomplish is letting more people see your router...