PDA

View Full Version : League wants to test former player

Guiness
10-28-2007, 12:39 AM
This is weird - he was released by SF, wasn't on a team's roster, collecting a paycheck, etc, but the NFL expects him to submit to drug testing. Over extending their reach just a little, I think. Shows again the meglomania that the league office seems to display rather frequently.

CBSSports.com wire reports

DENVER -- Former San Francisco 49ers receiver Antonio Bryant filed a motion Friday asking a federal judge to stop the NFL from disciplining him for allegedly violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Last week, Bryant filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court against the NFL seeking to stop the league from requiring him to submit to drug testing, arguing the league's policy doesn't apply to him anymore because he is not currently a player.

In the latest filing, Bryant's lawyer, Peter Schaffer, said Bryant received a letter from the NFL on Friday stating that it had set a hearing for Nov. 7 to discuss a positive test on Aug. 16 and a failure to submit to a test on July 12.

Schaffer said the letter was sent in retaliation for Bryant's lawsuit and is "further evidence of the NFL's continued use of bully tactics and coercive and fraudulent behavior."

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy declined to comment.

Schaffer said Bryant wasn't an NFL player and wasn't looking for another job in football from late July through the second week of October. However, he said that Bryant is currently looking to sign with an NFL team and the fight over testing is making that difficult.

"He's being damaged every day that this is going forward," said Schaffer, who filed the suit in Denver, where he is based.

Bryant was released in March, just one season after he signed a four-year contract with the 49ers worth $14 million.

Bryant caught 40 passes last season for a team-leading 733 yards. But he repeatedly clashed with coach Mike Nolan and was suspended four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Nah, I think it's fair. Same thing Koren had to go through. If you want to get reinstated, you have to follow the procedures set up for it. If they let him slide, then any guy that's suspended and not on a team can just use this out to avoid the procedures for reinstatement.

Guiness
10-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Yes, but Koren was under contract.

This guy wasn't, and wasn't asking for re-instatment at the time. So can the league test all former players in case they want to come back? I wonder if Majkowski's had to pee in a bottle lately? He could just be waiting for his chance to get his old starting job back! :twisted:

Patler
10-28-2007, 08:27 AM

This guy wasn't, and wasn't asking for re-instatment at the time. So can the league test all former players in case they want to come back? I wonder if Majkowski's had to pee in a bottle lately? He could just be waiting for his chance to get his old starting job back! :twisted:

There is an easy solution for the player. File the official papers for retirement. I'm sure the league would no longer test him then.

Pacopete4
10-28-2007, 11:59 AM
why is it any different if he works for the NFL or UPS? other companys dont test former employees so why are they allowed to in the NFL? oh ya I remember.. cuz its called the no fun league and when Favre retires.. the one good thing in the league will be gone

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2007, 12:57 PM

This guy was on the 49ers last year when he got suspended for the last 4 games. The 49ers let him go this offseason. Does any reasonable person think he's not looking for a job in the NFL? Do we allow players the loophole that if they don't sign with a team, they can ignore the procedures for reinstatement? Like Patler said, make him sign his retirement papers and he no longer has to worry.

MJZiggy
10-28-2007, 01:19 PM
why is it any different if he works for the NFL or UPS? other companys dont test former employees so why are they allowed to in the NFL? oh ya I remember.. cuz its called the no fun league and when Favre retires.. the one good thing in the league will be gone

If I am a contract employee for UPS and still contracted with them, they surely can test me even if I'm not currently driving a truck. Even if they're not under contract with a team, they are still part of the NFL even if they're not driving truck. Though actually now that I think about it, they could just wait to test him until another team picks him up, like when you get hired for a new job...