PDA

View Full Version : Bigby makes strong impression at safety

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Bigby makes strong impression at safety
By ROB REISCHEL, JSO

Green Bay - Atari Bigby's goals were modest.

No Pro Bowl talk. No chatter of becoming a superstar.

When the year began, Bigby - a strong safety for the Green Bay Packers - listed this as his No. 1 objective:

"My biggest thing is I didn't want to be the weak link," Bigby said. "I didn't want to be the drop off back there. I didn't want to make the mistakes we had back there last year and in other years. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't the weak link."

Mission accomplished.

Through six games, Bigby has been anything but a weak link. In fact, he's easily been Green Bay's best strong safety since LeRoy Butler departed.

"He's had a decent year," Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "I'm sure if you ask him, he'd say the same thing - there's certain plays he wished he had back, but he's been physical. He's done what we've asked him to do, and he's a player that's on the rise. I think he's getting better each week.

Since LeRoy Butler's career ended midway through the 2001 season, the Packers haven't found a serviceable replacement. The list of players who have tried and failed at the position include Bhawoh Jue, Marques Anderson, Matt Bowen, Antuan Edwards, Mark Roman and Marquand Manuel.

It's certainly early in Bigby's bid for long-term success. But through six games, he's been Green Bay's best safety and one of its top overall players on defense.

"I was here when Roman was here. I was here when Marquand was here," Bigby said. "I seen what was going on. And I didn't want to be the guy in the same position, making some of those mistakes."

For the most part, he hasn't. In fact, Bigby's done far more good than bad, to date.

Arguably Bigby's greatest contribution has been his sound and precise tackling. That's been a huge problem with the position in recent years, but not today.

Bigby ranks second on the team with 56 tackles, behind only middle linebacker Nick Barnett (67). Bigby is also second in unassisted tackles with 44, behind only Barnett (47) and well ahead of third-place A.J. Hawk (29).

Bigby has been the closest thing Green Bay's secondary has to a ball hawk. He's forced two fumbles and has an interception. In fact, cornerback Charles Woodson is the only other member of the defensive backfield (one interception, one fumble recovery) to be involved in a turnover play.

Bigby had a team and career-high 14 tackles against San Diego in Week 3. He made a diving, game-clinching interception at Minnesota in Week 4 and also forced a fumble against Vikings' fullback Jeff Dugan in that same contest. And Bigby forced a fumble by Washington's Clinton Portis that Hawk recovered at the Redskins' 9-yard line in Week 6.

Bigby's worst game was probably against Chicago, where he allowed a 19-yard TD pass to Bears tight end Greg Olsen and was partially at fault for a 28-yard reception by tight end Desmond Clark. Overall, though, he's been a major upgrade from the Romans and Manuels of the world.

"Atari Bigby has been very solid for us," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said recently. "I think his run support has been very good. I'm excited about the big-play ability he has shown.

"Just need to be more consistent with the communication and the fits in the run defense, because he's a very good tackler and he's been very aggressive, particularly down in the box. I think Atari is off to a very good start."

Bigby went undrafted coming out of Central Florida in 2005. He was waived by Miami, the New York Jets and the Packers themselves.

Bigby worked his way to Green Bay by playing in NFL Europa. And over a two-year stretch, he was on the Packers' practice squad twice for a total of four months.

Today, the question has become why?

Bigby (5-foot-11, 211) has tremendous burst in and out of his breaks and he moves extremely well for his size. Bigby packs a tremendous punch and he's helped bring attitude, energy and excitement to Green Bay's secondary.

"He's blessed with talent and athleticism and he shows it on the field," free safety Nick Collins said. "He's a great guy, great teammate, great player on the football field."

While Bigby's road wasn't easy, it's certainly paying off now. He was activated from Green Bay's practice squad on Nov. 15 last season, and after impressing on special teams, the coaches began to wonder if he could replace the ineffective Manuel.

For most of the summer, Manuel ran with the No. 1 defense and appeared safe. Late in camp, though, the Packers made the switch and Bigby has made it pay off.

"I never look at a guy and say, 'I can do a better job than him.' I never look at it like that," said Bigby, who was born in Jamaica and has two daughters with his wife, Jill. "I've just always said if I get my opportunity, I'll do my best to take advantage of it.

"And if I didn't think I would have an opportunity like this, I would have just gave up. I wouldn't have stuck around. You have low points, but for the most part, I kept my mind positive. And right now, I'm living out my dreams, baby."

And the Packers have been big winners because of it.

Rastak
10-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Besides all that he has a very cool name.

Partial
10-28-2007, 09:16 AM
I think the kid has been everything we expected him to be and more. He is a solid addition to our secondary. Makes you wish he was here the last several years.

Bretsky
10-28-2007, 09:37 AM
good article and a lot of great points. Bigby so far has solidified a position we needed to be greatly improved to play excellent defense

KYPack
10-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Not only does he give us a solid guy back there, he fills another hole. He can finally give us leadership at the safety position. I think Collins has some skills, but he needs direction. One of the safeties has to be a the QB of the coverage guys & we ain't had that since Butler quit.

Bigby can fill both voids and make us a sound cover D.

MJZiggy
10-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Besides all that he has a very cool name.

It is cool, but somehow I couldn't picture myself sticking my head out the kitchen door and hollering, "Atari! Come in for dinner!!"

Same with Ingle. Very cool, but still.

Patler
10-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I think the kid has been everything we expected him to be and more. He is a solid addition to our secondary. Makes you wish he was here the last several years.

Actually, he was; and but for a broken bone and pulled muscle things might have been different last year.

There was a lot of "buzz" about him after NFL-E in 2006, but then he broke his hand in the Family Night scrimmage and missed most of camp. That's why he ended up on the practice squad at the start of last season. After the hand was healed he was signed to the regular roster, but pulled a hamstring or something, so never really got into the flow last season.