PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Gameplan

footballfever
10-28-2007, 04:14 AM
Been meaning to rant about this for a while and it might have been mentioned elsewhere.............. It's such an easy strategy for opposing teams to use against us. Max protect run 2 routes with your WR's, have your quarterback count to 10 in his head and throw the ball. Not at a reciever or at anyone in particular just throw the fricken ball, penalty guarunteed 9 out of 10 times. Illegal contact, pass interference, illegal hands to the face. We play old school defense in a new school NFL and I think it bothers the league so they must encourage those refs to throw flags for every little bump or nick after 4.5 yards. Its a bit rediculous IMO. But it is absolutely 100 percent guarunteed to work, I can't imagine an easier way to get a first down. Then all you have to do is run that strategy to the 10 yardline or so and then run it in.

Joemailman
10-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Yes, it's guaranteed to work because there is no way that the Packers would make any adjustments. Harris and Woodson would just keep committing the same penalty play after play. Can we keep this kind of quiet? Damn Shanahan is always looking for an edge.

Guiness
10-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Have to disagree here.

You're right, they do draw their fair share of penalties because of it, but Harris and Woodson get away with murder compared to other CB's. They've been doing it so well for so long, they get the equivalent of the Greg Maddux strike zone...start off only hitting the guy within the first 5yds, and by the end of the game they're pasting him halfway down the field and getting away with it.

Patler
10-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Have to disagree here.

You're right, they do draw their fair share of penalties because of it, but Harris and Woodson get away with murder compared to other CB's. They've been doing it so well for so long, they get the equivalent of the Greg Maddux strike zone...start off only hitting the guy within the first 5yds, and by the end of the game they're pasting him halfway down the field and getting away with it.

Generally that is because by the end of the game the WRs are frustrated, and the handfighting, pushing and shoving is going both ways; which of course is a huge advantage to the defense. The penalties get called when the WRs have enough sense to not fight back continuously. A well-timed "fall" can do wonders for the WR the rest of the game!

Guiness
10-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Agreed Patler - they wear down and frustrate the WR's. They play press all night long - how would you feel if I got to thump you in the chest a couple of times, once every 2 minutes, for 3 hours :!:

I've noticed a couple of times where the WR 'hits back', which delays him even more, and plays into the Harris's hands because that's the whole point of the style of play.

Maxie the Taxi
10-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Been meaning to rant about this for a while and it might have been mentioned elsewhere.............. It's such an easy strategy for opposing teams to use against us. Max protect run 2 routes with your WR's, have your quarterback count to 10 in his head and throw the ball. Not at a reciever or at anyone in particular just throw the fricken ball, penalty guarunteed 9 out of 10 times. Illegal contact, pass interference, illegal hands to the face. We play old school defense in a new school NFL and I think it bothers the league so they must encourage those refs to throw flags for every little bump or nick after 4.5 yards. Its a bit rediculous IMO. But it is absolutely 100 percent guarunteed to work, I can't imagine an easier way to get a first down. Then all you have to do is run that strategy to the 10 yardline or so and then run it in.

Nothing wrong with playing 'old school defense." :) It's way better than giving receivers (especially receivers like Moss and Owens) a 10 or 15 yard cushion. It's all part of McCarthy's "attack" defense strategy.

Besides, Denver plays it too. So tonight the penalties -- if they come -- will have to go both ways.