PDA

View Full Version : WHY NO RESPECT FOR GREEN BAY ???

Bretsky
10-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm a bit sick of constantly hearding that besides Dallas the NY Giants are the next best team in the NFC. It seems like the Lions get as my hype as GB with their record

I was equally sick about hearing all of the Washington Redskin Hype among the media before we played them.

My question is twofold

1. Why does GB get no respect ?

2. Are those media views warranted; in other words, has our record made us overrated ?

Here are my views

1. On one hand I think we've caught nearly all of the teams at the exact right time. But we still won. So media know it alls should not be stating the NYG are the second best NFC team like it is fact. We beat them.

2. Truly a loaded question. We are not a Super Bowl Contender right now.
Our record might indicate we are but I see no way of winning a title with our running game as is.

We are a playoff contender. But to a point, I agree with the media in that as a 5-1 team that would indicated we are elite. Average that our we end up about 13-3. We're not that good, but they should not be automatically stating teams we beat are better than us as fact.

MJZiggy
10-28-2007, 11:19 AM
But B, you're complaining that the media give us no respect, but you've completely agreed with them in answering your own question.

NY and DC will automatically get more hype because they are big market teams. If LA ever gets a team again they will hype the hell out it.

We have a great record and I'm excited for every game thinking that at this point we can play with anyone on our schedule. Historically, and maybe it's just leftover from our last SB appearance, but the more we're hyped the worse we play. I like being under the radar.

And I think we can still win without much of a run game (even though we had one in the first half of the Bears game and look what happened there) as long as the rest of the team picks up the slack like they have been.

Bretsky
10-28-2007, 11:39 AM
But B, you're complaining that the media give us no respect, but you've completely agreed with them in answering your own question.

NY and DC will automatically get more hype because they are big market teams. If LA ever gets a team again they will hype the hell out it.

We have a great record and I'm excited for every game thinking that at this point we can play with anyone on our schedule. Historically, and maybe it's just leftover from our last SB appearance, but the more we're hyped the worse we play. I like being under the radar.

And I think we can still win without much of a run game (even though we had one in the first half of the Bears game and look what happened there) as long as the rest of the team picks up the slack like they have been.

Yes, I know; no Packer game today so I'm bored and trying to create a subject to debate

GrnBay007
10-28-2007, 11:41 AM
no Packer game today so I'm bored

Cheer for St. Louis. :P

MJZiggy
10-28-2007, 11:53 AM

Yes, I know; no Packer game today so I'm bored and trying to create a subject to debate

Boy have I got one for you!! I was at a party last night and one of the guests made the suggestion that the NFL will begin to shy away from drafting the black "superstar-type" players because he feels that their behavior is too awful and that they will begin to choose white players because when you tell them to jump they ask "how high?' instead of "how much will you pay me to?" He's not American, but I thought the point he was making was kind of insane. I can see them shying away from the egotist types, but I don't see what race has to do with it. Have you draft guys seen ANY kind of merit to what this guy is saying?

fan4life
10-28-2007, 11:58 AM
How can we expect "respect" from the national media, when our own (WI) media can't agree that we're good?

Today's picks from the Milwaukee JS:
Richard Pufall - Packers
Mike Hart - Broncos
Rob Reischel - Broncos
Ben Steele - Packers
Martin Hendricks - Packers

And good 'ole Tom Silverstein (Point spread = Broncos by 3)
Tom's pick Straight up = Broncos | vs. spread = Broncos

The GB Press-Gazette and Wisconsin State Journal haven't posted their picks yet.

oregonpackfan
10-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I think the fact that the Packers are a small market venue does play a factor in our lack of respect in the national media.

That being said, I believe the main reason most NFL "experts" as well as fans, do not want to give full respect to GB, is the fact that its running game is the worst in the NFL!

I myself wonder how long can the Packers continue winning games with the pathetic running game they currently have? Teams have to have some semblance of a balanced offensive attack.

Opposing teams playing the Packers are not only using a "Cover 2" defense with both safeties playing deep, they are using the "Tampa 2" defense. In this scheme, they have only 3 players on the defensive line and use the remaining 8 players in pass coverage. Teams are daring the Packers to run. So far, the Packers have been unable to rise up to this dare.

What we have is the Packers passing on almost 2/3rds of the offensive plays.

This lack of a running game is the main reason, IMO, that the Packers do not receive their share of respect around the league.

RashanGary
10-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree OPF. It's the running game and small market. Plus, many of our good players are VERY young. They are not well known, so they might go under the radar for a full year or two before they get attn.

I put more weight on the small market than you though. Big market teams get way more respect than they deserve. Watch Urlacher AGAIN!! he does very little, but he's considered great. Playing in a huge market and being good makes you GREAT by national media standards.

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2007, 01:00 PM
On one hand I think we've caught nearly all of the teams at the exact right time.

I don't agree with this.

Two reasons we don't get respect:
1) the experts would have to admit they were wrong if we are good--since they all predicted doom for us. Especially after we didn't get Favre "enough weapons" (aka Moss).
2) our run game stinks.

#2 is a valid reason for no respect. #1 isn't.

MJZiggy
10-28-2007, 01:16 PM
On one hand I think we've caught nearly all of the teams at the exact right time.

I don't agree with this.

Two reasons we don't get respect:
1) the experts would have to admit they were wrong if we are good--since they all predicted doom for us. Especially after we didn't get Favre "enough weapons" (aka Moss).
2) our run game stinks.

#2 is a valid reason for no respect. #1 isn't.

Is it that we caught them at the right time, or we just made them look bad so that when everyone else played them, they just looked like they were picking up their game. I'm starting to not buy the whole "they had a bad game against us" theory. That happens once, twice, but not 5 games out of 6.

gbgary
10-28-2007, 01:36 PM
no respect for the Pack because we've sucked for several years. plain and simple.

pack4to84
10-28-2007, 01:41 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl07.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Packer 3-0 vs top 10, 5-1 vs top 16
Dallas 1-1 vs top 10, 3-1 vs top 16
Giants 1-2 vs top 10, 2-2 vs top 16

Just by looking at this all the Packers games has been vs top 16 ranked teams
We should be rank 1 in the NFC

Carolina_Packer
10-28-2007, 03:18 PM

Boy have I got one for you!! I was at a party last night and one of the guests made the suggestion that the NFL will begin to shy away from drafting the black "superstar-type" players because he feels that their behavior is too awful and that they will begin to choose white players because when you tell them to jump they ask "how high?' instead of "how much will you pay me to?" He's not American, but I thought the point he was making was kind of insane. I can see them shying away from the egotist types, but I don't see what race has to do with it. Have you draft guys seen ANY kind of merit to what this guy is saying?

Not in my book, Zig. I don't know what the percentage breakdowns are now of blacks playing in the NFL vs. whites, but let's say it's 70/30 blacks. That would also indicate that about an equal ratio is being drafted or acquired via undrafted free agency and sticking with their respective teams. With those ratios in mind and with the new conduct policy, there is a better chance that a black might be singled out, but I disagree that teams are shying away from blacks vs. whites. I think they are shying away from players with rap sheets, or potential problems, who often happen to be black, but it's not because they are black. They would have zero issue having the most talented players who are good (enough) citizens, black, white, green or purple.

Guiness
10-28-2007, 04:31 PM
I wonder what all of those writers who've been falling over themselves during NYG's 5 game win streak think of the Giants squeaking by Miami?

MJZiggy
10-28-2007, 05:47 PM

Not in my book, Zig. I don't know what the percentage breakdowns are now of blacks playing in the NFL vs. whites, but let's say it's 70/30 blacks. That would also indicate that about an equal ratio is being drafted or acquired via undrafted free agency and sticking with their respective teams. With those ratios in mind and with the new conduct policy, there is a better chance that a black might be singled out, but I disagree that teams are shying away from blacks vs. whites. I think they are shying away from players with rap sheets, or potential problems, who often happen to be black, but it's not because they are black. They would have zero issue having the most talented players who are good (enough) citizens, black, white, green or purple.

I thought he was nuts.

Charles Woodson
10-28-2007, 05:52 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl07.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Packer 3-0 vs top 10, 5-1 vs top 16
Dallas 1-1 vs top 10, 3-1 vs top 16
Giants 1-2 vs top 10, 2-2 vs top 16

Just by looking at this all the Packers games has been vs top 16 ranked teams
We should be rank 1 in the NFC

funny thing is that the steelers havent played a single team in the top 16, and have the 2 easiest schedule

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Green Bay chamber of commerce:

http://amranshriners.us/images/photos/hillbillies/Hillbillies2.jpg

I think its just eastern snobs that don't appreciate a nice midwestern city.

4and12to12and4
10-28-2007, 07:05 PM
I do think it was funny, I was watching ESPN and they all agreed that the Cowboys, Redskins, and Giants are the three best in the NFC. Talk about idiots. We beat the Redskins and the Giants. So, how can that even be plausible. Morons. Just like how after the Badgers lost to Illinois and Penn State they aren't even ranked, and USC loses to two schools that are ranked way below the teams we lost to, and they are still higher in the polls. It makes absolutely no sense. Who cares. I have to agree we can't expect to be talked about in the same breath as the Colts and Patriots even though we only have one loss, just because they kick the shit out of all their opponents, and we barely find a way to hold on to win. So, I like that we are under the radar, it's better for the team, less pressure. But, if we beat Denver Monday Night and go to 6-1, things will begin to change. We will be in the conversations as one of the best teams, just like New Orleans had to earn it after a few big wins last year. But, who cares, I like being looked at as rebuilding, and a young team, no expectations, it's much less stress. Look at the Bears fans this year, they are so depressed because of their high expectations. It's better this way.

Carolina_Packer
10-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Exactly, let us have time to fly under the radar and be "disrespected" or sneak up on people. Look at what's happened with New Orleans from last year to this year. Granted, we are not where the were at last year, but we could be if things keep developing, and if we develop a reasonable running game to balance the offensive attack more, and keep defenses more off balance.

Let the Patriots, Colts, Steelers, Cowboys and anyone else you want to name carry the expectations. Let's just win and beat the snot out of our opponents.

b bulldog
10-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I think wwe will lose our next two games so I guess you could say that I don't buy into them as a legit 5-1 team either. That being said, these next two games will shut everyone up if they win and if they lose, they will be seen as a decent NFC team that got beat by a marginal AFC team from the far dominant conference.

Bretsky
10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I think wwe will lose our next two games so I guess you could say that I don't buy into them as a legit 5-1 team either. That being said, these next two games will shut everyone up if they win and if they lose, they will be seen as a decent NFC team that got beat by a marginal AFC team from the far dominant conference.

If they go 1-1, which would be my best guess, I'm not sure it will shut anybody up

b bulldog
10-28-2007, 09:02 PM
You are most likely correct but that would validate them in my case but my opinion means very, very little. :x

woodbuck27
10-28-2007, 09:08 PM

There's a whole lot of Brat's there Harlan H. :)

I hope that as the season progress's that our runing game gains some semblance of respect. Can it continue as we have witnessed ? I like to think it will improve some.

The only way we can continue to move forward is if our defense plays tough in your face ball and we design and execute the right game plan Vs each team. The games Vs the Lions are looming bigger again after their defeat on the Bears.

If we take even one of those games. We are solid to win the NFCN and if Favre stays A-OK. Who the heck knows what we may do in the playoff's.

Now if the running game stays as it has been we are toast Vs the Big boys but most of those teams will knock one another in the AFC playoffs and we have to get by Dallas to get to the SB.

I see a huge game comoing up with the Pat's playing the Colts.Will that clear things up? NO!

Any given team can win on any given Sunday.

The Bolts are back in it also in the AFC, and in the NFC it does look like the Cowboys,Packers,Giants and Lions are the top contenders.

Respect or not we have beaten more highly rated teams when they faced us.Somehow we got it done and maybe (jusy maybe) that will continue.

So the Packers Vs the Pats (Colts or Chargers) in the Super Bowl is not an impossibility.

The heck with needing respect fr. the media over large market teams like Dallas and the Giants.We are still right there. . .and on any given Sunday. . . mmmmm :) Who really knows. We have Brett Favre on our side.

We have many targets for him to hit.

Our ground game can only go in one direction.

WE have a better West Coast Offense this season.

We have a solid DL.

We have decent LBer's and CB's.

WHO really knows. . . . ???

Except ' the Shadow '. :)

Packers Forever.

LL2
10-28-2007, 09:31 PM
The Packers will have to earn their respect the old fashion way...earn it. It annoys me too when the talking heads put other teams like the Giants ahead of the Packers, but hey it's just their opinion. For the Packers to really earn respect they will have to win a playoff game, and they haven't done that in a while (correct me if I'm wrong).

woodbuck27
10-28-2007, 10:09 PM
The Packers will have to earn their respect the old fashion way...earn it. It annoys me too when the talking heads put other teams like the Giants ahead of the Packers, but hey it's just their opinion. For the Packers to really earn respect they will have to win a playoff game, and they haven't done that in a while (correct me if I'm wrong).

Let's make the playoff's first. :)

Carolina_Packer
10-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I'm just glad the NFL doesn't use the BCS system. No playoffs? Are you joking?

the_idle_threat
10-28-2007, 11:11 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a quality picture right there.

The Leaper
10-29-2007, 07:42 AM
I do think it was funny, I was watching ESPN and they all agreed that the Cowboys, Redskins, and Giants are the three best in the NFC.

Huh? They were saying this AFTER the Redskins got punked to the tune of 50+ to the Patriots? Both the Giants and Redskins looked lackluster yesterday.

I didn't even watch any postgame analysis yesterday...I watched the end of the Bucs-Jags game and called it a day. However, Green Bay can prove a lot by going and winning in Denver tonight. If they do that, which is something a strong AFC team in Pittsburgh couldn't do, then I think we will clearly be the #2 team in the NFC according to the talking heads.

Merlin
10-29-2007, 12:08 PM
I lost a little respect for th Giants yesterday. They pulled out a squeaker against a 0-7 team. Although I know Miami is playing lights out to get a win, they are 0-7 and not very good. The Giants look to be the inconsistent team in the NFC. I think the Eagles are done and Dallas is the NFC team to beat. The NFC West looks to be in horrible shape this season with Seattle at 4-3. The NFC East has two 6 game winners, the Giants and the Cowboys. As I stated I am not so sure the Giants are all that good. The Cowboys look vulnerable to. Even with a loss yesterday to the Colts, Carolina is leading the NFC South at 4-3. Within our own division, the Lions are 5-2, yes you read that right. We are 5-1 so even with a loss tonight we are still in first place and in the top four in the NFC.