PDA

View Full Version : American Idols

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2007, 09:20 PM
I caught a little bit of the Colts-Panthers game, on one play Kris Jenkins whacked Peyton Manning pretty good. I don't think it was a cheap shot, it was a tackle to the chest right after Peyton released the ball.

Peyton was hitting the smelling salts afterwards.

The announcers went on and on like Jenkins had gone Charles Martin on Peyton! WTF!? Jenkins got flagged for a late hit. I disagree with the flag. Jenkins launched himself towards Peyton before he released the ball. OK, a judgement call, but it was no crime against humanity, Jenkins is just playing football.

Did anybody see this play? How did you see it?

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Another sort of call that bugs me is when they call helmet-to-helmet whenever a QB's facemask gets scratched by a helmet. Give me a break.

The players who are getting hung out to dry are the wide receivers. They get smacked in the back after a ball has sailed by, helmet-to-helmet is rarely called.

I am all for protecting the health of players. For instance the legal blocking below the knees within 3 yards of line of scrimmage is ridiculous. But the refs have gone overboard protecting the QBs, and the announcers treat them like young princes.

b bulldog
10-28-2007, 09:25 PM
I get sick of seeing wr's shove off, arm battle way past the line of scrimmage and nothing gets cALLEd. If a DB looks at a wr wrong, he gets called for interference.

Carolina_Packer
10-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Is the NFL becoming like the NBA where if you are a star, you're going to get protection and more favorable calls?

I've seen at least two times in the last two weeks where Moss is pushing off to be able to make catches. It's blatant, but a no call. The guy is already dominant, and their just going to let the guy do that? Come on!

woodbuck27
10-28-2007, 11:32 PM
It's all about the money and how star power serves that.

What would the NFL be with the likes of Peyton Manning,Tom Brady and Brett Favre out for the season with serious injury.

These players are like GOD's.

The Leaper
10-29-2007, 10:54 AM
QBs are the darlings of the NFL...and everyone in the league (plus advertisers who pay $$$$$$$ to put their mug in front of their products) has made it clear that those guys will be protected at all costs.

It isn't like this is something new. I didn't see the play in question, but if a defensive player launches at a QB helmet first, it will ALWAYS attract a flag. That is especially true if the QB is a franchise-level player like a Manning, Brady or Favre.

Defensive players have to know that by now, and adjust how they decide to attack the QB. That said...if a guy does it, I'm not about to claim he is a dirty player because of it. You take the penalty, maybe a fine, and go on with life.

3irty1
10-29-2007, 11:01 AM
It's all about the money and how star power serves that.

What would the NFL be with the likes of Peyton Manning,Tom Brady and Brett Favre out for the season with serious injury.

These players are like GOD's.

So was Vick :)