PDA

View Full Version : A-Rods timely announcement

packinpatland
10-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Watching the Series last night, did anyone else think it odd, that in the 8th inning, the announcers would take like what seemed like 10 minutes to 'break the news' about A-Rod's opting out of his contract with the Yankees? It couldn't have waited for after the game, between innings, the next day...........
............typical media, typical A-Rod. :roll:

Zool
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Typical Red Sox fan? All is right with the world. The Yankee's are toppled and you have a shot at A-Rod playing SS. How much better could this be working out for you?

Bretsky
10-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Watching the Series last night, did anyone else think it odd, that in the 8th inning, the announcers would take like what seemed like 10 minutes to 'break the news' about A-Rod's opting out of his contract with the Yankees? It couldn't have waited for after the game, between innings, the next day...........
............typical media, typical A-Rod. :roll:

Classless; completely classless

AROD and Scott Boras are two of a kind

GBRulz
10-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Typical Red Sox fan? All is right with the world. The Yankee's are toppled and you have a shot at A-Rod playing SS. How much better could this be working out for you?

Arod sucks in the post season, I wouldn't want him !!

Bretsky
10-29-2007, 06:32 PM

Arod sucks in the post season, I wouldn't want him !!

AROD brings fans into the stadium though
I thought the stinking Yankees would lock him up
I hate the Yankees and Cubs so he belongs on one of those teams

What a team is buying is the next HR record breaker and he'll bring a ton of revenue to whatever club Boras can get to grossly overpay him

LL2
10-30-2007, 12:26 AM
You would think Arod wouldn't be that type and would shut up his agent. His agent brings him a lot of cash so he probably does whatever his agent wants. I read an article that stated Arod wanted to play for the Mets and pretty badly too and could've, but Boras lined up the Yankees deal and Arod was never really happy as a Yankee. Some players just can't call their own shots.

Partial
10-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Baseball is the shittiest sport of all the major sports. Even worse than hockey. They need to give every team a 90 million dollar cap. None of this buying your championship bullshit that NY and Boston do. I don't get why anyone can support either of those teams. They're the reason we'll have another year or two of Prince Fielder and maybe 3 years of Ryan Braun.

the_idle_threat
10-30-2007, 04:20 AM
I'm glad the A-Rod was able to opt out of his contract. No man should be forced to play baseball for a mere $72 million over three years. :?

Scott Campbell
10-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Baseball is the shittiest sport of all the major sports. Even worse than hockey. They need to give every team a 90 million dollar cap. None of this buying your championship bullshit that NY and Boston do. I don't get why anyone can support either of those teams. They're the reason we'll have another year or two of Prince Fielder and maybe 3 years of Ryan Braun.

There's another solution piece needed besides the cap. They've got to get to renenue sharing on the TV contracts. I won't watch baseball until they get both done. It's no more competitive than watching the Globetrotters beat the Washington Generals.

Partial
10-30-2007, 12:13 PM

There's another solution piece needed besides the cap. They've got to get to renenue sharing on the TV contracts. I won't watch baseball until they get both done. It's no more competitive than watching the Globetrotters beat the Washington Generals.

Revenue sharing is key as well. George Steinbrenner probably gets 500 mil a year to put the yanks on TV. I bet the Brewers get maybe 20 mil

Scott Campbell
10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
And Selig as a small market owner knew both of these had to be accomplished when he took office well over a decade ago. So what's he accomplished again?

Interleague play was a great idea
I actually like making the All Star game count for the WS
Getting the union to agree to any revenue sharing was a start

Bud Selig hasn't been all that bad

I think he was a better commissioner than owner of the Brewers

packinpatland
10-31-2007, 10:31 AM

Ths Sox had at least 6 players starting that they brought up through their farm league. They may pay to keep them, but they didn't pay to get them.

Partial
10-31-2007, 11:25 AM

Ths Sox had at least 6 players starting that they brought up through their farm league. They may pay to keep them, but they didn't pay to get them.

And thats Fine.

However, that does not change the fact that they will inevitably sign runner-up to MVP (2nd best player in baseball and also one that will be playing at this level for 10+ more years) Prince Fielder away from us. That is what ruins competition. The Red Sox and Yankees are the scummiest of scum. Screw them both.

We couldn't afford a Josh Beckett and a Manny Ramirez. Baseball is dumb. Soccer is more competitive and fair, and as a result its also more enjoyable to watch.

The rivalry between Boston and NY is so stupid. It isn't a real rivalry. There are no hard feelings between the players because they don't give a shit and have no loyalty. Johnny Damon hops sides. A-Rod is up and leaving his team for more money. Clements has played on both sides. Manny Ramirez doesn't care at all about winning, after all there is always next year. This is all a big gig created by the media to try and make it seem like baseball actually matters to the teams. It doesn't. The real rivalry is who can spend more money.

In the next 5 years we will lose the following players to be time clubs:
Ben Sheets
Prince Fielder
Ryan Braun
Francisco Cordero
Yiovanni Gallardo

And thats bullshit.

packinpatland
10-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Hmmmmm.................wonder why Schilling said the ONLY team he would never play for is the Yankees? We may lose Lowell (series MVP) to another team who may offer him more, I say, good for him, he earned it.

As far as money/caps go...................The Cowboys are going to pay Romo 67.5mil over 6 years with 31 of the that guaranteed? It's all about big money, what pro sport isn't.

It took the Sox 86 years to win the Series in 2004, they win another this year, that hardly qualifies them as scum. As I said before, 6 starters came up through their farm league, all teams have the same opportunities to do that.

Zool
10-31-2007, 01:09 PM
How much did Manny make this year?

How much did Dice K cost this year between salary and his buyout?

Those combined are the Brewers payroll this season. Thats the point.

packinpatland
10-31-2007, 01:47 PM
I agree with you. There MLB needs a cap.

Partial
10-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Hmmmmm.................wonder why Schilling said the ONLY team he would never play for is the Yankees? We may lose Lowell (series MVP) to another team who may offer him more, I say, good for him, he earned it.

As far as money/caps go...................The Cowboys are going to pay Romo 67.5mil over 6 years with 31 of the that guaranteed? It's all about big money, what pro sport isn't.

It took the Sox 86 years to win the Series in 2004, they win another this year, that hardly qualifies them as scum. As I said before, 6 starters came up through their farm league, all teams have the same opportunities to do that.

120 million per year is fair per team. If baseball had revenue sharing and had a salary cap, it would probably be around this. Maybe slightly less. Instead, the Red Sox can spend 10-20x the amount of some teams.

The Red Sox paid ~66% MORE to NEGOIATE (only negoiate) w/ Dice K than what Romo is guaranteed over SIX years. I think that says it all right there.

Zool
10-31-2007, 03:02 PM

120 million per year is fair per team. If baseball had revenue sharing and had a salary cap, it would probably be around this. Maybe slightly less. Instead, the Red Sox can spend 10-20x the amount of some teams.

The Red Sox paid ~66% MORE to NEGOIATE (only negoiate) w/ Dice K than what Romo is guaranteed over SIX years. I think that says it all right there.

Actually I believe the final bid was $51mil to negotiate. Still they just handed the Dragons $51 million.

Patler
10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
Baseball is the shittiest sport of all the major sports. Even worse than hockey.

What's wrong with hockey, other than poor marketing?

Partial
10-31-2007, 03:07 PM

Actually I believe the final bid was $51mil to negotiate. Still they just handed the Dragons $51 million.

Right, so it was 20 million more. 20 million additional / 31 million to romo is about 2/3. They paid about 2/3 more than romo is guaranteed to make over 6 years just to talk to the guy.

Partial
10-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Baseball is the shittiest sport of all the major sports. Even worse than hockey.

I meant to type soccer. Hockey and Soccer don't get any love in America.

Patler
10-31-2007, 03:26 PM

Very true. Hockey was gaining some in popularity, until their ill-timed strike/lockout. Foolish, foolish move on their part. Contraction is also needed. Way too many teams. Overall quality of the average NHLer is much too low.

I enjoy soccer, always have, youth through college live and international soccer on the tube. Haven't watched much pro soccer.

MJZiggy
10-31-2007, 03:29 PM

Very true. Hockey was gaining some in popularity, until their ill-timed strike/lockout. Foolish, foolish move on their part. Contraction is also needed. Way too many teams. Overall quality of the average NHLer is much too low.

I enjoy soccer, always have, youth through college live and international soccer on the tube. Haven't watched much pro soccer.

When I was younger and watched hockey there was too much punching compared to strategy...maybe I was oversensitive in my youth but I lost interest.

I really like soccer as well even moreso now that my Spanish is improving a bit again as I can only seem to get it on Univision...

Patler
10-31-2007, 04:10 PM
When I was younger and watched hockey there was too much punching compared to strategy...maybe I was oversensitive in my youth but I lost interest.

Depends a lot on what league you are watching now. For the most part. it's a pretty small part of the game. Recent rule changes have promoted scoring and have cut back a lot on interference and other things that started some of the fights. At some levels, fights result in automatic suspensions. They have also limited fights to the two initial combatants in other leagues with suspensions for "3rd man in" etc. Fights don't often last very long anymore.

superfan
11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3090231&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

TOLEDO, Ohio -- Alex Rodriguez a Mud Hen?

Spurred by an offhand remark from George Steinbrenner's son, the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens want in on the A-Rod sweepstakes.

The Mud Hens playfully offered the prize free agent a deal Thursday -- a contract proposal that includes a bonus for hitting 75 home runs next year and leading them to 10 straight International League titles.

Rodriguez recently opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the New York Yankees. That prompted Hank Steinbrenner, son of the Yankees owner, to tell the New York Times: "Does he want to go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee, or a Toledo Mud Hen?"

The Mud Hens conjured up an offer to find out, said Jason Griffin, a spokesman for the Detroit Tigers' top farm team.

Toledo created a Hall of Fame plaque of Rodriguez wearing a Mud Hens hat and sent a letter to his agent, Scott Boras.

The deal stipulates that Rodriguez will have to compete for a spot with Toledo third basemen Mike Hessman, the league's most valuable player last season.

"Would your client be willing to play a different position?" the letter asked.

swede
11-01-2007, 09:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3090231&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

TOLEDO, Ohio -- Alex Rodriguez a Mud Hen?

Spurred by an offhand remark from George Steinbrenner's son, the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens want in on the A-Rod sweepstakes.

The Mud Hens playfully offered the prize free agent a deal Thursday -- a contract proposal that includes a bonus for hitting 75 home runs next year and leading them to 10 straight International League titles.

Rodriguez recently opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the New York Yankees. That prompted Hank Steinbrenner, son of the Yankees owner, to tell the New York Times: "Does he want to go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee, or a Toledo Mud Hen?"

The Mud Hens conjured up an offer to find out, said Jason Griffin, a spokesman for the Detroit Tigers' top farm team.

Toledo created a Hall of Fame plaque of Rodriguez wearing a Mud Hens hat and sent a letter to his agent, Scott Boras.

The deal stipulates that Rodriguez will have to compete for a spot with Toledo third basemen Mike Hessman, the league's most valuable player last season.

"Would your client be willing to play a different position?" the letter asked.

Words fail me in describing the pleasure I derive from such good-hearted and professionally crafted goofiness.

I'm gonna go online and find a Mudhens hat to wear!

Zool
11-02-2007, 07:40 AM

Right, so it was 20 million more. 20 million additional / 31 million to romo is about 2/3. They paid about 2/3 more than romo is guaranteed to make over 6 years just to talk to the guy.

Assuming Romo's contract goes the distance and hits the escalators its 67mil. 31 is guaranteed, but now I get where you're coming from I spose.