PDA

View Full Version : DOH! a deer, a fema....errmm 2 male deer?

Jimx29
10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Bowhunter bags two locked deer

http://i22.tinypic.com/2rr84na.jpg

Jim Willmsen of Cedar Rapids came home with these two deer Friday. The deers' antlers were locked, and the larger buck (left) was dragging the smaller buck, which had died. Willmsen plans to mount the rare trophy, saying it could be worth $50,000.

CEDAR RAPIDS - Bowhunter Jim Willmsen shot the biggest buck of his life Friday afternoon, and that was only the half of it.

Literally.

The roughly 18-point buck he shot and killed was dragging with it a dead 10-point buck. The two deer had fought and their antlers had become irreversibly joined.

"They are locked," Willmsen said. "You can't get them undone."

The smaller buck had been dead at least for a day, Willmsen said.

The larger one presumably snapped the smaller one's neck and would have dragged its rival's carcass until it, too, died, said Aric Sloterdyk, the Department of Natural Resources conservation officer in Cedar Rapids.

VIDEO: Jim Willmsen talks about his two antler-locked bucks

Willmsen, 39, of northeast Cedar Rapids, was beaming Saturday after checking in with the Cedar Rapids Fire Department in the morning.

"It's like winning the lottery," he said as he showed off the larger buck's palmated -- like a moose's -- antlers.

He said he had to drag the two bucks up a steep hill to get to his truck. His father, John Willmsen, and friend James Fisher helped him. He wouldn't say where he killed the buck.

Saturday night, he was trying to get in touch with a taxidermist. He plans to mount the two heads together on a rotating oak pedestal in his basement.

He already has four mounted bucks decorating the downstairs, but this will be the biggest prize.

"I don't know how I'm going to beat this one," he said.

The bowhunting season for deer continues through Jan. 20 in Cedar Rapids, Coralville and other Iowa cities that authorize bow hunts in an effort to control deer population. As of last night, 150 deer had been taken in Cedar Rapids.
More... (http://gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071027/NEWS/71027024/1001/NEWS)

Scott Campbell
10-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Not much sport involved in getting that shot if you ask me.

Zool
10-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Is hunting ever a sport. Shouldn't both sides know they are playing? Give the deer a rifle and some shooting lessons, then lets call it a sport.

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Jim Willmsen of Cedar Rapids came home with these two deer Friday. The deers' antlers were locked, and the larger buck (left) was dragging the smaller buck, which had died.

Oh my God. This has to be the most pathetic hunting story I've ever heard in my life. I wonder how many arrows it took him to down his prey - which deer was he aiming for?

Do deer ever get their heads caught in fence? That would be some good huntin too.

Freak Out
10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Nothing wrong with a mercy killing ending up on the dinner table but it's hard to classify that as a hunt.

LaFours
10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Is hunting ever a sport. Shouldn't both sides know they are playing? Give the deer a rifle and some shooting lessons, then lets call it a sport.

How would they pull the trigger? Don't they lack opposable thumbs to hold the rifle? Would their legs be able to stabilize them as they shoulder the rifle in an attempt to aim at their fare?

I believe for this to be possible, a new type of weapon would need to be generated to accomodate the physical limitations that deer may face with contemporary weaponry. And besides, there is not much informational data on what the appropriate side dishes would be to accentuate the taste of human flesh...and aren't they herbivores anyways?

I think there are still too many questions to consider your proposition logical at this point...but that's just my two cents.

BallHawk
10-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Hunting is only a sport if the prey knows they are being hunted.

General Zaroff anyone?

Zool
10-30-2007, 01:52 PM
The basis for your side of the argument is solid. The opposable thumbs really complicates things.

As for cooking humans, call up Ed Gein. He has some dishes you could try.

MJZiggy
10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
The basis for your side of the argument is solid. The opposable thumbs really complicates things.

As for cooking humans, call up Ed Gein. He has some dishes you could try.

And lovely decorating tips as well.

mraynrand
10-30-2007, 02:54 PM
An 18 point buck picking on a 10 point buck? Well, he got what he had coming. Gotta like capital punishment.

Jimx29
10-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Do deer ever get their heads caught in fence? That would be some good huntin too.actually, yes they do but then alls you need to hunt them is a hammer. Kinda like when you hunt cows :)

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Do deer ever get their heads caught in fence? That would be some good huntin too.actually, yes they do but then alls you need to hunt them is a hammer. Kinda like when you hunt cows :)

Might be some other opportunities for recreation available as well. But watch out for those hooves!

Joemailman
10-30-2007, 05:57 PM

Anyone who picks up a newspaper known that October and November is hunting season. So if the deer don't know, it's their own damn fault.

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2007, 10:15 PM

Anyone who picks up a newspaper known that October and November is hunting season. So if the deer don't know, it's their own damn fault.

Hunters swear to me that the deer know when hunting season comes. They get nervous and move around more in November, even before the hunters hit the woods..

I don't know if this is true. IT kinda makes sense. Certainly hunting season must be terrifying for them, and they could associate that fear with the season.

MJZiggy
10-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't know, the deer that eat my front hostas don't seem any more nervous this time of year...they just meander away when I run out after them. Damn deer.

And as to this one, how much fun can it possibly be to live your life with a full-sized dead animal stuck to your head?

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2007, 10:38 PM
And as to this one, how much fun can it possibly be to live your life with a full-sized dead animal stuck to your head?

I'm real partial to my coon skin cap.

the_idle_threat
10-30-2007, 11:07 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Deputy Nutz
10-30-2007, 11:39 PM
I like to kill deer, it is not as easy as a lot of your non-hunters make it seem. It is bit tough just to walk up to one and shoot it.

Jimx29
10-30-2007, 11:41 PM
And as to this one, how much fun can it possibly be to live your life with a full-sized dead animal stuck to your head?seems to work ok for the Donald :?

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2007, 12:06 AM
I like to kill deer, it is not as easy as a lot of your non-hunters make it seem. It is bit tough just to walk up to one and shoot it.

Do the deer act differently during deer hunting season?

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2007, 12:27 AM

Not really... from my perspective. They tend to not be very aware the first day or two (like it's a complete surprise that some orange-wearing human is trying to blow a hole through them), but tend to get more jumpy after hunters kick around the brush for a day or two. (We don't hunt from tree stands where I hunt.)

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2007, 12:34 AM
my brother told me they start acting nervous even before the hunters hit the woods. maybe he is just bullshitting himself.

Deputy Nutz
10-31-2007, 11:10 AM

Sure, something foreign to them has just invaded their habitat.

Deputy Nutz
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM

Not really... from my perspective. They tend to not be very aware the first day or two (like it's a complete surprise that some orange-wearing human is trying to blow a hole through them), but tend to get more jumpy after hunters kick around the brush for a day or two. (We don't hunt from tree stands where I hunt.)

Its hard to hunt from tree stands if you don't have any trees, that is assuming that you hunt in the Dakotas?

Little Whiskey
10-31-2007, 04:23 PM
yes deer do act differently during hunting season. mostly because they are looking for a mate. he'd rather get a piece than fear someone packing a piece.

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2007, 04:33 PM
yes deer do act differently during hunting season. mostly because they are looking for a mate. he'd rather get a piece than fear someone packing a piece.

wait a minute. I thought rutting season was in the spring. ARe you screwing out of season?

And Nutz, thanks for your helpful insight - "the deer act different when hunters have invaded the woods." Now think a little harder: do you believe they anticipate hunting season because of memories? My brother hunts all the time and says they do. Are you calling my brother a liar?

Joemailman
10-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Unless you come across this deer:

http://www.habsinsideout.com/0000-ken-toon.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Its hard to hunt from tree stands if you don't have any trees, that is assuming that you hunt in the Dakotas?

North Dakota doesn't have a lot of trees, but hunting from a tree stand blows. If I had to do that, I don't think I'd even hunt--especially if it was for those puny whitetails.

Scott Campbell
10-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Are you calling my brother a liar?

Well, he is your brother.

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Does a deer shit in the woods?

MJZiggy
10-31-2007, 10:09 PM
They seem to prefer the sidewalk.

woodbuck27
10-31-2007, 10:59 PM
I have an old buddy that once shot a dead deer after our lunch break nap.

He actually thought that he caught a deer napping and decided to nail it in it's sleep.Something very wrong about that as I think of that now.

It was dead and didn't, couldn't, wouldn't get deader. So I guess I'm alright with that.

He's a very solid - very good friend of about 50 years now. I attended his 60th Birthday party in Fredericton on Oct. 12th.

I will never forget that funny moment in our times together that feature dozens of very funny hunting experiences when we were rerally into that. We have entertained many a man with our stories and in the company of a few coolies. Stories that almost kill you with laughter.

I suppose I will take anoter Buck again before I die if I can locate a large one in the rut and get the fever, but I have lost my killer instinct and I hate the way I feel after a kill.

I don't sleep well for the week after shooting a deer.

Cripes!

I'm the original Nature Boy anyway and love all animals.

Something alive is too precious now that so many animals are under pressure/stress to just remain on this torn planet.

Hunting does have it's advantages to a herd tough if the population gets to large for some domaines.

Deputy Nutz
11-01-2007, 04:12 PM

North Dakota doesn't have a lot of trees, but hunting from a tree stand blows. If I had to do that, I don't think I'd even hunt--especially if it was for those puny whitetails.

Very rarely do I hunt from a tree stand, but we have some heavy timber and a relatively young forest, family had it logged several years back so their are a lot of briars and thorny patches and thick ground cover that makes still hunting a bit of a problem. Wisconsin Whitetails are retarded, they don't know how to respond to rattling, bleats, grunts or anything of the sort. So this upcoming season the farmer that leases our land decided to plant corn in a field at the bottom of the ridge, it is a dear haven so I set up a stand for the first time in 8 years. I sat their two weekends ago and although I had a good view above the corn I had a hard time spotting the deer that started feeding at about 5:15, the light was getting bad and those little critters blend in quite well with corn. Now I am even more elevated and hopefully the corn will be picked. I will hunt it in the morning and afternoon if the wind is right, otherwise I have a nice spot to still hunt and a couple of other patches that might stir up some deer.

Harlan your brother is a bit off his rocker, deer are not that smart, their memory is at best short term, deer are skidish that time of year because the rut is still going on in most places, so Doe's are fearing a raping, and bucks are very tired out chasing those hussies around all the time. The Whitetail deer is still a very mysterious animal, so I assume nothing when it comes to those animals that frustrate me the most.

Little Whiskey
11-01-2007, 04:13 PM
He actually thought that he caught a deer napping and decided to nail it in it's sleep.

don't you want to die in your sleep? I bet he looked peaceful as he expired! :twisted:

Harlan, the rut is in the fall, not spring. depending on the area you live, usually early to mid november. you've watched bambi too many times.

Jimx29
12-16-2007, 04:55 PM
I believe these elk were near Monticello, Utah. One of them is dead but these guys were able to cut the horns of the dead one and free the other.
I also would hope they drugged the live one otherwise I would swear that that is a tame elk since it's neither running off, or charging the DNR guys.

http://i4.tinypic.com/8brrmn8.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/7yqw1t3.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/6olscoj.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/6sufgpz.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/6lxkyhd.jpg

http://i6.tinypic.com/8eqm155.jpg

3irty1
12-19-2007, 08:59 AM
I went to High School in Horicon where it is a common misconception that it is good for Goose hunting. Although the town and marsh are absolutely loaded with geese most of the year, geese are somehow smart enough to stay away for the entire season.