PDA

View Full Version : Cutler laughs says Favre has ZIP

CaliforniaCheez
10-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Favre wins duel with Cutler, salutes Broncos' young QB

Two of the NFL's most daring, strong-armed gunslingers, Green Bay's Brett Favre and Denver's Jay Cutler, combined for zero interceptions Monday night.

Favre and Cutler dueled to a draw in regulation. But in overtime, Cutler never got a shot. Favre wouldn't let him. An 82-yard touchdown pass from Favre to Greg Jennings gave the Packers a 19-13 victory over Cutler and the Broncos.

Favre threw for 331 yards and two touchdowns. Cutler threw for 264 yards and one touchdown. Both came away admiring the other. Cutler laughed incredulously at the rumor Favre had lost his zip. Favre was impressed by the Broncos' kid quarterback.

"I thought he played well," Favre said. "I watched him play last week against Pittsburgh and thought he played well. They had every chance to win the game like we did. He's a competitor first of all. He's obviously talented or they wouldn't have drafted him in the first round. He's got all the tools and I think each week he's progressively gotten better."

Walker expects earlier return. Javon Walker, speaking to the media Monday for the first time since having surgery on his right knee Oct. 19, proclaimed he will be back on the field before the six-week window his surgeon projected after the procedure.

Walker attended the Broncos' game Monday night. The veteran wide receiver returned to town Saturday after having arthroscopic surgery.

"It will be sooner than six weeks," Walker said. "It will be much sooner than that. It feels much better now."

Henry, Moss out. Not all pain can be killed by a painkiller shot. Broncos running back Travis Henry was supposed to take a painkiller shot to his battered ribs and play against the Packers, but the decision at game time was to keep him out of uniform.

He was replaced in the starting lineup by Selvin Young, who rushed for 71 yards on 18 carries and made a team-high six catches for 49 yards.

"I've got to look at the film, but I thought he did a very good job for his first game," said Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

Henry's roster spot went to Andre Hall, who had three carries for 10 yards.

The Broncos also didn't dress rookie defensive end Jarvis Moss, their No. 1 draft pick, and replaced him with veteran Simeon Rice.

Other healthy Broncos who did not dress: fullback Mike Bell, safety Hamza Abdullah, cornerback Jeff Shoate and defensive tackle Amon Gordon.

Injury matters. Safety John Lynch suffered a pinched nerve in his neck in the first quarter and did not return. Defensive tackle Antwon Burton left the game but returned. Middle linebacker D.J. Williams had his shoulder wrapped after the game.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7317625