PDA

View Full Version : A Little Cold Water Thrown on Packer O

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2007, 08:57 AM
The offense generally executed very well last night. But I don't think we should get too excited - that Denver defense was really, really bad. They had a lot of injuries, and then they lost their key tackler early in the game, John Lynch.

When the Packers can run against Minnesota or (even) Chicago, then they are ready to advance in playoffs. The job the O-line did last night was a great first step, but it's still wait and see.

LL2
10-30-2007, 10:02 AM
If the O can string together 3 games win over 100 yards rushing to go with Favre's good numbers then the post season will start to look promising.

Scott Campbell
10-30-2007, 10:05 AM
If the O can string together 3 games win over 100 yards rushing to go with Favre's good numbers then the post season will start to look promising.

I don't see that happening unless they can pay the Broncos 3 times in a row.

The Leaper
10-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I dunno. The deep TDs are going to force defenses to play more honest now...you will see fewer instances of 8+ men in the box defending short passes/runs. Grant seems to have the running style necessary to be successful in the ZBS...read, make a cut and plow forward hard.

Steve Young has it right. We need a #1 RB to emerge...someone that Favre can count on game in and game out. If Grant can build on this success, and along with our proficient passing attack, I see no reason why we can't put up 100 yards regularly on the majority of the defenses in the league. Yeah, we will be screwed against top 10 run defenses...but usually those teams have a weakness in the secondary that we can expose anyway.

Badgepack
10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
It sure seemed the Packers moved the ball very well when the did the semi no huddle in the 1st half, which I think should be done more often. However, it was also the same time Lynch went out and the Denver D was very confused. But the hurry up always seems to move the chains.

Cheesehead Craig
10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.laughforfree.net/images/Debbie_Downer.jpg

Carolina_Packer
10-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I was driving home from the bar after the game last night and heard McCarthy's comments on ESPN News on my XM Radio (they simulcast it) and he said Grant is the starter for next week (you'd figure that) and that since their receivers were playing to take away the slants, playing inside the receiver that he wanted to try and go over the top with some go routes. Go they did! The last play was actually intended for Donald Lee he said, and Brett made a good read and put it up and voila!

I loved their commitment to the run. It's what allowed the two deep balls. Please let Grant be the answer. Wynn is a paper tiger. He looks the part, but can't stay healthy. Grant may not be marquee, but the Packers seem to be a team that finds and develops players, so you make your own name with your talent and hard work. Grant wouldn't be there to even have the chance if he wasn't talented. Now we'll see what he does with his chance. Last night was good.

rpiotr01
10-30-2007, 10:40 AM
When the Packers can run against Minnesota or (even) Chicago, then they are ready to advance in playoffs. The job the O-line did last night was a great first step, but it's still wait and see.

I wouldn't judge it by that standard. No one runs well against Minnesota. Last year NE didnt even try to run against Minnesota - were they not ready for the playoffs?

What they need to do is be able to run the ball effectively enough to keep the D honest, to get them to keep an extra guy around the line and run the ball effectively when they don't keep that extra guy around. That sets up play action and gives receivers and TEs some breathing room.

They don't have to have the best running game to be successful. Right now the best running game in the league belongs to a 3-4 team. They need just enough balance to allow the strength of their O - the passing attack - to get some maneuver room. If they do, Favre can pick 'em apart.

I agree with your last point - it is wait and see at this point but at least they seem to have found a RB that 1.) understands cutting once and moving upfield and 2.) doesn't get injured on first contact.

pbmax
10-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Leaper, one of the problems the Packers have faced since the second half of the Bears game is two safeties back. The Resdskins adopted the same positioning and gave the pass game fits. As M3 has said and McGinn and others have written, they were daring the Packers to run on seven in the box.

Denver could not afford to do that as their strength is in their corners and the weakness is run D. They had to commit eight because their run D was horrible and even the Packers dysfunctional run game was killing it.

Next up is the Herminator and I bet we see two safeties back in most pass situations. Our problem wasn't forcing opposing D's to play back, it was making them pay for playing seven in the box. Hopefully Grant is the guy to make them pay.

I dunno. The deep TDs are going to force defenses to play more honest now...you will see fewer instances of 8+ men in the box defending short passes/runs. Grant seems to have the running style necessary to be successful in the ZBS...read, make a cut and plow forward hard.

Steve Young has it right. We need a #1 RB to emerge...someone that Favre can count on game in and game out. If Grant can build on this success, and along with our proficient passing attack, I see no reason why we can't put up 100 yards regularly on the majority of the defenses in the league. Yeah, we will be screwed against top 10 run defenses...but usually those teams have a weakness in the secondary that we can expose anyway.