PDA

View Full Version : Why All the Fuss Over the Giants?

BallHawk
10-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Watching NFL Live (not the best analysts, but besides the point) both "analysts" choose the Giants #1 in their power rankings. They then differed about the Packers and Cowboys at #2 and #3.

What's the big deal?

They lost to both Dallas and Green Bay by a combined 32 points. The arguement here is that the Giants were a different team back then. I agree with that, to a degree. If you lose to a team, you lost to them, plain and simple. They played better than you and they won. You can't make excuses for that.

The hype is over their recent 6-game win streak.

The teams they played have a combined record of 11-33. Only one of them has a .500 record, the 'Skins at 4-3 (who the Packers beat)

In their last 4 games they've beaten the Jets (1-7) Falcons (1-6) Dolphins (0-8) and 49ers (2-5)

None of them divisional opponents. None of them big-games.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. What makes the Giants better than Dallas and Green Bay?

Green Bud Packer
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. What makes the Giants better than Dallas and Green Bay?

They play in New York city. :crazy:

PackerTimer
10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
I agree with 100%. There are alot of people hyping the Giants, and I for one, just do not see it for all of the reasons you mentioned.

pittstang5
10-30-2007, 05:04 PM
I agree as well. I'm a little sick of the Giants hype, but not as much as the Patriots crap that is shoved down my throat every time I turn on ESPN or NFL Network.

Anyway......the Giants haven't played a real team yet, until they do, I still think they are fake. I especially hate when these "know it all" Football analysts, sit there and rank the Giants above the Packers. I'll admit, that I'm still not 100% sure about this Packers team.....but ranking the Giants above the Packers....come on!

RashanGary
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Same reason girlacker and the shitcago Bears get more hype than they deserve; big market.

FritzDontBlitz
10-30-2007, 05:10 PM
east coast markets always get more love because the networks make their headquarters there.

Dallas will probably whip them again.

4and12to12and4
10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
I agree as well. I'm a little sick of the Giants hype, but not as much as the Patriots crap that is shoved down my throat every time I turn on ESPN or NFL Network.

Anyway......the Giants haven't played a real team yet, until they do, I still think they are fake. I especially hate when these "know it all" Football analysts, sit there and rank the Giants above the Packers. I'll admit, that I'm still not 100% sure about this Packers team.....but ranking the Giants above the Packers....come on!

Well, technically, you're wrong there. They played us, and we kicked their asses. J/K, I know what you mean. I look at this as a good thing. When a team starts believing the hype about itself, it can affect the way they play. Less intensity because they are over-confident, worried about stats, etc.. A lot of bad things go with getting media coverage and hype. I'd rather see the Packers stay under all that and play their asses off and see how it all pans out. Hey, no expectations, no loss, right? All the Bears fans last year ECPECTED to win the Lombardi Trophy, and what good did it get them? They were booing their QB half the year. The Saints were hyped up bigtime this year, and that may have affected how they started so poorly also. That's why Sean Peyton buried all their acheivements, to show them, it doesn't matter what a sports writer or a plaque says about you, it only matters what you do on Sunday (or Monday, or Thursday or Saturday after Thanksgiving :roll: ). Yeah, lets stay under the radar, it's much more peaceful there.

Tarlam!
10-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Not having read past this post in the thread, this was my first knee jek reation.

My second is, Dallas and Green Bay don't have a Manning at QB....

mmmdk
10-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Also account for the toughness of schedule yet it is ever changing; before the season Giants had a tough schedule but look at it now - no wonder they are smiling in G-town. Packers have, hands down, a tough schedule before and after but are 6-1 !!!

3irty1
10-31-2007, 12:47 AM

Also account for the toughness of schedule yet it is ever changing; before the season Giants had a tough schedule but look at it now - no wonder they are smiling in G-town. Packers have, hands down, a tough schedule before and after but are 6-1 !!!

They do have a Favre though...

pbmax
10-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Forget Manning, who is getting killed again for lapsing back to his over throwing, wildly erratic form, its the Defensive turnaround that people are hanging their hat on.

Early in the season they had LBs playing out of their natural position and couldn't cover anyone in the middle of the field. The Packers fully exploited this.

The coordinator junked that D, reshuffled his LBs and plays one of them at a rush end in passing situations. The problem is this; the coordinator spent all of training camp looking at this defense and he initially choose not to do this. There must be some weakness still there, right?

So they are not the same D the Packers played. Still, the best teams they have beaten, Philly and Wash, were also beaten by the Pack. That makes it a questionable pick.

Carolina_Packer
10-31-2007, 01:37 PM
I say let them have ALL the love from the press. That will create mountains of expectations and they can heap their scorn on Tom Coughlin if it blows up on them, either at/near the end of the season or in the playoffs.

Flying under the radar rocks! Much better than having the target on your back.

LL2
10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I say let them have ALL the love from the press. That will create mountains of expectations and they can heap their scorn on Tom Coughlin if it blows up on them, either at/near the end of the season or in the playoffs.

Flying under the radar rocks! Much better than having the target on your back.

I agree. No one expected the Packers to be 6-1 so let's keep winning so know one can expect them to finish 14-2 (I'm hoping)!

Charles Woodson
10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
I think it was last week the espn power rankings rated them over us, i watched the Giants-Dolphins game and they barelyyy beat the dolphins... THE DOLPHINs, manning through for 50 yards... come on the giants are crap, the only good thing on that offense is brandon jacobs