PDA

View Full Version : Play of the Game

oregonpackfan
10-30-2007, 03:50 PM
While the two TD bombs to Jones and Jennings attracted a lot of attention, I don't think either of those plays were the Play of the Game.

I think the most pivotal play was Barnett's recovery of Cutler's fumble at the Packers' one yard line.

If you recall, the score at the time was tied at 7. The Broncos had an impressive drive making it down to the Packers' one yard line. Had they scored, the Broncos would have been ahead 14-7. They clearly had the momentum.

Not only did the fumble recovery stop the second 7 points by the Broncos, but the Packers marched the ball down the field and kicked a field goal to make it a Packers' lead of 10-7. That drive shifted the momentum back to the Packers.

If effect, the fumble recovery was a 10 point turnaround.

fan4life
10-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Nick's fumble recovery was certainly a game changing play, and evidence that he is one of the best LBs in the league.

But Favre and Jennings' gutsy, in-your-face, 'let's win it here call' on the first play in OT is the stuff legends are made of.

The Shadow
10-30-2007, 04:13 PM
I think a darkhorse candidate might be the deflection at the line that looked like it might have - unimpeded - wound up a Champ Bailey interception.

HarveyWallbangers
10-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I think a darkhorse candidate might be the deflection at the line that looked like it might have - unimpeded - wound up a Champ Bailey interception.

To me, it looked like Favre was throwing the ball away on that play. There was nobody behind those guys, and Favre had been sitting in the pocket for awhile. If you watch the replay, the ball got tipped and flipped to the right--where it was almost intercepted. Favre sat in the pocket so long that he had to know that pressure was about to get to him. The fact that nobody was behind those two guys, and with the trajectory of the ball looking like it was going to come out well to the left and higher than where the ball went, I think it was going to be a throw away.

BallHawk
10-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Not really a play, but a big break for the Packers occured when Selvin Young's
46-yard run was called back on a phantom holding call.

Can't say I feel sorry for the Broncos, though, they've gotten away with plenty in the past. Good to see a little karma in there.

FritzDontBlitz
10-30-2007, 05:57 PM
I was just watching a replay of the game-winning td, and I noticed that instead of just squaring his shoulders after faking the handof to his left, Brett Favre actually turned nearly 360 degrees before he set his feet and unloaded the perfect strike to Jennings. It seems subtle or insignificant at first thought, but I believed it helped fool the single deep safety in believing the ball was going deep to Jones or Driver down the right sideline again after having huge success on the first td to Jones. Regardless, I can't ever remember seeing too many other QB's execute a play action pass to their left in that way.

Charles Woodson
10-30-2007, 06:04 PM
how about stopping the broncos for 3 downs on the 4 yardline at the end of the game

FritzDontBlitz
10-30-2007, 06:15 PM
how about stopping the broncos for 3 downs on the 4 yardline at the end of the game

I have always been of the mentality that a defense's success or failure on the goal line is due to inept playcalling and execution by the offense as much or even more than it is to a defense being in the right place at the right time. Calling defensive plays is all about guessing what a defense will do, and offenses that become too predictable are easily thwarted.

Having said all that, I think stopping them 3 times inside the 5 was beautiful. :wink:

gbgary
10-30-2007, 07:39 PM
there were several plays that made the game what it was. a few of the less obvious ones were brett's rocket ball to driver on the goal line, not allowing cutler in the end-zone with 22 seconds to play, the momentary defensive meltdown the broncos suffered when lynch went out, almost all the penalties, the decision by denver to punt rather than try a 55+- field goal late in the game were just a few but when i took my corvette cap off and put my Packers cap on in the second quarter...THAT was key!

oregonpackfan
10-30-2007, 07:58 PM
I was just watching a replay of the game-winning td, and I noticed that instead of just squaring his shoulders after faking the handof to his left, Brett Favre actually turned nearly 360 degrees before he set his feet and unloaded the perfect strike to Jennings. It seems subtle or insignificant at first thought, but I believed it helped fool the single deep safety in believing the ball was going deep to Jones or Driver down the right sideline again after having huge success on the first td to Jones. Regardless, I can't ever remember seeing too many other QB's execute a play action pass to their left in that way.

Over the years, I am sure there must have been hundreds of high school coaches across the land who have told their QB's, "See how Brett Favre sets up to pass? Don't you dare think about copying him!"
:lol:

FritzDontBlitz
10-30-2007, 08:01 PM
:lol:

b bulldog
10-30-2007, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't call it the play of the game but Denvers D was in disarray when Lynch left the game.

BallHawk
10-30-2007, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't call it the play of the game but Denvers D was in disarray when Lynch left the game.

Good thing he was probable to return. :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
10-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Good thing our offense could overcome the loss of our DeShawn Wynn.
:D

Seriously, I hate the injury excuse. Unless you are completely devastated (e.g. 2005 Packers), I don't want to hear about it. Part of building a winning team is building good depth. Every team gets injuries. Two starting OL out for the Packers, and you wouldn't know it. That's how it's supposed to be. Of course, some losses are harder to overcome. Lynch doesn't have much speed, so he wouldn't have gotten any closer than the backup on those one safety looks on the deep balls.