PDA

View Full Version : Few Observations from last night's game

KYPack
10-30-2007, 09:21 PM
A couple things that stuck out last night:

As has been pointed out in a pretty savvy thread, Bigby shouldn’t be crucified for his funky game. The kid was in position on most of his covers and lost it when he kicked the ball. I did see something that Sanders might want to back off on, though. On a couple plays, they had Bigby at the line. He had a nice force on one of ‘em and tackled the ball carrier for a loss on the other. But on 3 plays he was within five yards of the LOS, then ran back into cover. This kid is just getting in the groove, he doesn’t need the added pressure of scrambling back into position.

Spitz may not be the hopeless case I thought he was from his early ineptitude. The guy is a good center on the snap. All of ‘em were crisp and right at Brett’s chest. He’s not much of a run blocker, but his pass blocking is more than adequate. Moll is still not a finished product, but he easily had the best game of his career. Coston may have a tough time getting his gig back from Moll, instead of Spitz. The whole OLine did a decent job of pass pro all night.

Ryan Pickett is one hoss. I hope his injury isn’t serious. That fat guy can play. He holds the point, always applies pressure, and hustles his ass off all over the field until the whistle. We’ve got one of the best DLines in the NFL and it’s fun to watch these guys work.

I wanted to see how the teacher vs student was gonna work out in the battle of DCoordinators. Bates vs Sanders in a Mile high matchup. It didn’t shape up like I thought because Bates doesn’t play the Bates defense with Denver. I imagine it was from Lynch’s injury, but Bates more or less played cover 2 and Tampa 2 all night. (Well, except for trying to get away with a single safety on the final play of the game.)

In that vein, I like how Sanders has become his own man and mixes in personnel groupings and schemes to keep the other team off balance. Maybe we wound up with the right guy when we got the student.

Defensively, we gotta get some kinda effective blitz schemes worked out. None of the LB’s are all that effective at blitzing. This isn’t a big thing, but it is a tool that we can’t seem to use. Barnette was just a half beat from making some big sacks, but AJ and Popp? Not so much. Hawk always seems to storm from a position 5 -6 yards deep. When he does get in there, he never sheds. He’s gotta find a way to lose that blocker. Popp will be an up and down guy all his career, but blitzing should be a strong point for him.

I thought Bodiford would get cut for KRob, but Wynn got IR-ed. I love Bodiford’s spunk & all, but sheesh, that kid is gonna get himself killed bustin’ the wedge. I can see an LB being that goofy, but a WR? He’s certifiably nuts.

Partial
10-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Great analysis. Always good to read something from someone who actually knows football as opposed to Don Banks :D I kind of like seeing the class of '06 manning the interior line together.

RashanGary
10-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the analysis. I was hoping for big things from Moll. I like him a lot. I picture him as the replacement for Tausch.

pbmax
10-30-2007, 10:31 PM
I have read that Bates is running pieces of Slowik's blitz scheme. One reason might be the inability of the front seven to stop the run, so he gets an eighth guy up to the line of scrimmage.

The replays I saw showed the corners laying off when they were in single safety. ESPN.com mentioned that Bly seemed to change this technique on his own and he moved up to the LOS before the snap of the OT bomb to Jennings.

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Spitz may not be the hopeless case I thought he was from his early ineptitude. The guy is a good center on the snap. All of ‘em were crisp and right at Brett’s chest. He’s not much of a run blocker, but his pass blocking is more than adequate. Moll is still not a finished product, but he easily had the best game of his career. Coston may have a tough time getting his gig back from Moll, instead of Spitz. The whole OLine did a decent job of pass pro all night.

Its important that they build this depth inside. And not just depth, they can use some competition for the starting RG position. And i'm glad Wells got another weak to heal that bone.

Little Whiskey
10-31-2007, 04:11 PM
not sure if this was mentioned in another thread, but has anyone heard the reason for the no-penalty when one of the bronco players removed his helmet on the field? I was furious after the no call. any explinations given??

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2007, 04:22 PM
not sure if this was mentioned in another thread, but has anyone heard the reason for the no-penalty when one of the bronco players removed his helmet on the field? I was furious after the no call. any explinations given??

his helmet got knocked off at end of play. He did take the opporutunity to do a little profiling and styling.

I think players should be alowed to pull their dicks out and wave them triumphantly if they want. I got no problem with Moss's Moon Dance. Guess the NFL takes a different view.

Little Whiskey
10-31-2007, 04:25 PM
looked like he took it off to me. but i guess i am a bit bias and was a bit intoxicated at the time.

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2007, 04:26 PM
looked like he took it off to me. but i guess i am a bit bias and was a bit intoxicated at the time.

I think we're talking about the same play. IT did look like he took his helmet off. Well, ya, he did take it off, it was just knocked loose on the play. But of course he HAD to take it completely off to adjust it properly. :D

Ballboy
10-31-2007, 08:40 PM
I disagree about the Packers not being able to blitz not being a big thing...it is huge!!

At least 3 - 3rd and +10 were coverted with the Packers only using a 4 to 5 man rush.

I live in Illinois, so I see alot of the Bear games. I'm not saying our LBs are the Bears LBs, but I think out DL and DB are least equal. How many times do I see them going to an all out blitz on 3rd and + yardage and getting to the QB!!! Heck, look at the Packers when the are on offense and it is 3rd and +10....Favre is also usually rushing a throw or picking himself off the ground.

Sanders better get this fixed or pull his head out of his ass. I don't have the time or the technology to re-watch the game, but I would dare anyone to look at how many times the Broncos had 3rd and +10 and how many times they converted.

deake
10-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Did anyone notice, did we run any two tight end sets or did we always have three wide outs with a single back?

MJZiggy
10-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Do we have two tight ends?

mraynrand
10-31-2007, 09:30 PM
I think players should be alowed to pull their dicks out and wave them triumphantly if they want.

That explains a lot about you.

mraynrand
10-31-2007, 09:31 PM
I love Bodiford’s spunk

You may not be the only one - just read what Harlan wrote.

Joemailman
10-31-2007, 10:28 PM

Is that all you ever think about?

MJZiggy
10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Pretty much...

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2007, 10:35 PM
I love Bodiford’s spunk

You may not be the only one - just read what Harlan wrote.

took me a little while to get this one. :lol:

KYPack
11-01-2007, 08:28 AM

Our second TE is Ryan Krause. He's smallish (6' 3"), but seems to know what in the hell he's doing.

Along those lines, Lee is elevating his game every week and we have an effective TE again. I think Danny Franks is in his last season with the G&G.

KYPack
11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
I disagree about the Packers not being able to blitz not being a big thing...it is huge!!

At least 3 - 3rd and +10 were coverted with the Packers only using a 4 to 5 man rush.

I live in Illinois, so I see alot of the Bear games. I'm not saying our LBs are the Bears LBs, but I think out DL and DB are least equal. How many times do I see them going to an all out blitz on 3rd and + yardage and getting to the QB!!! Heck, look at the Packers when the are on offense and it is 3rd and +10....Favre is also usually rushing a throw or picking himself off the ground.

Sanders better get this fixed or pull his head out of his ass. I don't have the time or the technology to re-watch the game, but I would dare anyone to look at how many times the Broncos had 3rd and +10 and how many times they converted.

I don't think it is our schemes that are at fault. We just don't have a good blitzing group right now. I think Hawk & Pop could be better at it. Nick is just a half bubble off. Bigby has had his moments.

Blitzing is NOT a big thing. It's a club in your bag, but it's not necessary to be a great blitzing team to be a great defense. We are very close to being a great defense.

Tarlam!
11-01-2007, 09:20 AM
We are very close to being a great defense.

You think, KY? I did, too, at the beginning of the season. They sure do show flashes. They do give up their fair share of big plays and it is rarely because the opposing team does something special or the QB makes a perfect throw. It is mostly us messing up on one fundamental or another.

I am also worried about the depth at all but our line.

I hope you're correct and ultimately turn out to be a worry-wart with my opinion!

Ballboy
11-01-2007, 12:14 PM

I don't think it is our schemes that are at fault. We just don't have a good blitzing group right now. I think Hawk & Pop could be better at it. Nick is just a half bubble off. Bigby has had his moments.

Blitzing is NOT a big thing. It's a club in your bag, but it's not necessary to be a great blitzing team to be a great defense. We are very close to being a great defense.

Lets look at the teams in tjhe playoffs last year.......Colts send everyone, Bears I already mentioned and we all should know, Chargers send everyone, Philly........

This will be our downfall. "playing safe" will send you hom, no doubt about it.

KYPack
11-01-2007, 09:39 PM

Lets look at the teams in tjhe playoffs last year.......Colts send everyone, Bears I already mentioned and we all should know, Chargers send everyone, Philly........

This will be our downfall. "playing safe" will send you hom, no doubt about it.

Why would blitzing have prevented the Ponies from coverting those 3rd and 10's?

If blitzing was some kind of magic answer, all DC's would blitz every chance they got. The reason they don't is blitzes don't always click and when they don't you give up huge plays. I've been in sports bars and seen countless drunken "20 something" fans screaming "BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ" at the screen when their teams aren't getting QB pressure. They think they are enlightened and their teams DCoordinator is a fool for not storming. Those DC's know what a blitz is and they aren't doing it because it won't help their team contain the other teams O.

Blitzing works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. You mentioned the Pack only used a 4 or 5 man rush. A 5 man rush IS a blitz. Evidently, we didn't get QB pressure with a blitz on. Why do you want more of it?

We do have the makings of a good blitzing team. Good front 4 pressure. Great cover corners. The safeties? I dunno. Bigby can generate some heat and so could Collins, but neither of those lads are quite there as far as executing their blitzes. Our LB's outta be pretty good guys on the storm, but they have troubles too. Barnette has just missed finishing his sorms by just a hair. Hawk has shed problems. He just hasn't picked up pro shed and he gets all caught up. Popp? no one can predict what he'll do in any situation except his fills and fucks some of them up.

We may improve on our blitzes, but I don't know when that'll be. Our base D doesn't lend itself to a lot of blitzing. Sanders plays the line wide with the LB's sheltered and deep. Think the other team will figure something is up when one of 'em creeps up to 2 -3 yeards from the LOS?

Some of the teams that you mention don't have that great a blitz frequency. The Colts send everybody? sometimes, but they have this guy named Bob Sanders who might be the best blitzing safety in the league.

SD? They play a 3-4 and when they send Merriman, that really ain't a blitz. Same deal with Pittsburgh.

Philly? yeah Jimmy Johnson sends 'em all and the trainer too. but they've been burned a lot in the last two years and he has backed off his blitz mania because he doesn't have the personnel groupings to do it anymore.

The Bears? Suyre they blitzed a lot and quite sucessfully. That stud line, Mike Brown, Urlacher, & Lance Briggs? That's the people you need to storm sucessfully. We are good, but we aren't at that level.

NE blitzes well, but I've also seen Darth Belichick play 1 down lineman, 6 LB's and 4 backs and give teams bad plays. But I don't think we outta do that either.

With our superior DL's our blitz frequency will increase as the other teams start to overload and chip to stop our pass rush. That leaves holes and lanes for our boys to pour through.

Sanders? I think we got the right guy when we kept the student and let the teacher go. This is a good D and will improve blitzing or no blitzing.