PDA

View Full Version : Fr. woodbuck27 - What helps to define me - Packerrat friends

woodbuck27
10-30-2007, 11:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_John%2C_New_Brunswick#Military

Saint John.NB,Canada

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/mclays/images/locmap.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/64/SJhilton.jpg/260px-SJhilton.jpg

I am on extended vacation now still in Saint John,New Brunswick and return to my rsidence in Greenfield Park,Quebec on the S. Shore of Montreal at week's end. after I see a cover band do the Pink Floyd Album 'The Wall' on Thurs. evening at The Imperial Theater known for it's excellent acoustics as one of the finest live theaters in North America.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/28/Phare.jpg/170px-Phare.jpg

Saint John is known as the Loyalist City and the Most Irish City in Canada and the First City in Canada being the first Incorporated city in our nation.It is also well known as the Friendliest City in the East (well. . . I believe it is as friendly as any city you could ever visit.Wonderful hospitible people live here Packerrats.

Some facts about my HOME TOWN (Saint John) that I am very proud to present to y'all.

Saint John is the largest city in the province of New Brunswick and the oldest incorporated city in Canada. In 2006 the city proper had a population of 68,043. The population of the Census Metropolitan Area is 122,389. The city is situated along the north shore of the Bay of Fundy at the mouth of the St. John River (the Rhine of North America).Just North of the City is another wide river called the Kennebecasis River. Many fresh water and salt water beachs abound within a 20-35 minute drive of Saint John,NB.

It is really a lovely and interesting place to visit with a fabulous history.

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/mclays/images/sjpic03t.jpg
The Uptown area. Market Square and Market Slip where the Loyalists landed and founded Saint John.

It was then mostly just Rock and trees. A bleak place to start a life.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/18/61/81/downtown-st-john.jpg

Interesting archeteture in Saint John. This is part of the Heritage Trail.

Pre-Loyalist Times:

Predated by the Maritime Archaic Indian civilization, the area of the northwestern coastal regions of the Bay of Fundy is believed to have been inhabited by the Passamaquoddy Nation several thousand years ago, while the Saint John River valley north of the bay became the domain of the Maliseet Nation.

The mouth of the Saint John River was first discovered by Europeans in 1604 during a reconnaissance of the Bay of Fundy undertaken by French cartographer Samuel de Champlain.

The day upon which Champlain sighted the mighty river was St. John The Baptist's Day, thus the name for the river Fleuve St-Jean (St. John River).

The strategic location at the mouth of the St. John River came to be fortified by Charles de la Tour in 1631. After several wars between the French and the British, Saint John passed to the British.

Fort LaTour was renamed in 1758 as Fort Frederick. Fort Frederick was destroyed during the American Revolutionary War and Fort Howe was built nearby at the insistence of newly-arriving Loyalist refugees.

Parrtown and Carleton developed around Fort Howe and both towns were amalgamated by Royal charter to become the City of Saint John in 1785, making it the first incorporated city in British North America (present-day Canada).

During the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, the city's location made it a probable target of attacks, thus several military forts were constructed, namely Fort Dufferin and one of Canada's sixteen Martello Towers.

The Irish potato famine (1845-1849) saw the city's largest immigrant influx occur, with the government forced to construct a quarantine station and hospital on Partridge Island at the mouth of the harbour to handle the new arrivals.

Speakin' of potatoes.

Well then you have to see our wonderful and very old City Market a meeting place on Saturdays for so many:

http://www.canada-photos.com/data/media/10/city-market_2281.jpg

And we must being Irish . . eat . . .our potatoes.

Reminds me of Ole Stompin' Tom's, Bud the Spud song but that potatoe is from. . . Ole . . . Prince Edward. . . Island.

These immigrants changed the character of the city and surrounding region from its Loyalist-Protestant heritage with their Irish-Catholic tradition.

Saint John became the province's leading industrial centre during the nineteenth century, fostering a shipbuilding trade that lasted until 2002.

http://www.theshipslist.com/icons2/saintjohnNB1898.jpg

Saint John, New Brunswick ca. 1898

Much of the city's shipbuilding industry was concentrated on the mudflats of Courtney Bay on east side. One local shipyard built the famous sailing ship Marco Polo- the fastest ship at it's time in the world = under sail.

Due to its location for railways and servicing the triangle trade between British North America, the Caribbean, and the United Kingdom, the city was poised to be one of Canada's leading urban centres, however a disastrous fire in 1877 destroyed a large portion of the central business district.The City of Boston made a large donation to saint John for it's rebuilding effort to be what you would see in Saint John today along with all it's modernization the OLD remains intact.

The character of the city attracts many movie producers for movie production the last 30 years.

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/mclays/images/sjskylin.jpg
View of the Downtown and South End skyline of Saint John taken from the newly opened Harbour Passage trail in late June, 2003

http://www.canada-photos.com/data/media/10/footpath_2279.jpg
Picture of a footpath of an intriguing pattern in downtown Saint John, New Brunswick:

During the First World War, the city became a trans-shipment point for the British Empire's war effort.

The Second World War saw the port decline in importance due to the U-boat threat which saw Halifax's protected harbour offer improved convoy marshaling.

However, manufacturing expanded considerably, notably the production of veneer wood for De Havilland Mosquito bomber aircraft. On account of the U-boat threat, additional batteries facilities were installed around the harbour.

Saint John's first airport was located north of the business district at Millidgeville. This location on a plateau overlooking the Kennebecasis River was a summer cottage area used by local residents to escape the coastal fog from the Bay of Fundy.

Note:

We refer to the fog as 'the Surf'. . thus the name The Surf City and my old ball team I organized after university days - 'the Surfers' is derived fr. that. We 'The Surfers' won the Co Ed Slow Pitch League Championship the first season that the league was founded.

It was here in 1932 where Amelia Earheart landed during her solo trans-Atlantic flight. The current Saint John Airport was developed post-war and is located in the eastern part of the city.

Physical geography

Situated in the south-central portion of the province, along the north shore of the Bay of Fundy at the mouth of the St. John River.

Saint John is split by the south-flowing river and the east side is bordered on the north by the Kennebecasis River where it meets the St. John River at Grand Bay.

The St. John River itself flows into the Bay of Fundy through a narrow gorge several hundred feet wide at the centre of the city.

It hosts a unique phenomenon called the Reversing Falls Rapids where the diurnal tides of the bay reverse the water flow of the river for several kilometres. A series of underwater ledges at the narrowest point of this gorge also create a series of rapids.

The topography surrounding Saint John is hilly; a result of the influence of two coastal mountain ranges which run along the Bay of Fundy - the St. Croix Highlands and the Caledonia Highlands. The soil throughout the region is extremely rocky with frequent granite outcrops. The coastal plain hosts numerous freshwater lakes in the eastern, western and northern parts of the city.

The fishing and hunting are good here where it is permitted.

My Family and our friends hunt and fish near our farm property in Juvenile Settlement near Hoyt,NB. This settlement was founded by my forefathers The BELL's (maternal side) originally fr. around Donegal Ireland.The first BELL to arrive in New Brunswick fr. Ireland and take his land grant at a place called Coot's Hill was a Tailor and Hat maker.His sons founded Juvenile Settlement along with some other Irish Canadians as very young men.Thus the name Juvenile.

Check out this website designed by my Sister Woody if you would like to see what Juvenile is to me:

This is my personal experience or idea of GOD's Country.

http://pic4.piczo.com/woodysworldofsurfers/?g=11090097&cr=4

That scruffy fella with a beard and a big smile is me (woodbuck27) on the event of Woody's first Buck kill a few years back during a break fr. University studies. She got blood on her cheeks that morning. :)

A great experience for me to be with her on that hunt.Dad was also up that weekend so the Ole Duck Hunter (He never shot a deer in Juvenile but several at his home in Woodside,NB) showed Woody how to peel the balls of a buck.

That log cabin is where I entertain my buddies that want to really get down on a hunt.My Juvenile Hilton.About one mile back in the forest from the homestead and front road.We logged it about 4 years ago and we can drive right to the cabin now.It's like The Trans canada Hwy.Better in places. :)

We have deer,Bear,Moose,Coyote,Birch Partridge,Snipe and Woodcock to hunt on our own piece of GOD's earth.

Only a 30 Minutes drive fr. Juvenile (Mom's homestead) to my Father's homestead in Woodside,NB founded by my forefathers about 1780 who were given large land grants along the Oromocto River - Loyalist Soldiers on Dad's side of the family. We went for Deer,Moose,Ducks and Geese and the best Chain Pickeral and Bass fishing trips.

Other pic's are of my Brother (Dennis) and Marilyn, or Woody's man (Dan 'the Man') and Family and Friends that love Juvenile.

It is a heavenly experience up there Packerrats. ENJOY !!

More on my HOME TOWN, Saint John,NB.

Climate

The climate of Saint John is temperate.

The Bay of Fundy acts as a natural air conditioner in summer and diverts major snowstorms in winter. The Bay never freezes. Average summer temperature is 25 to 30C ; Average winter temperature is -10 to -20C but can become much colder at night.

In Saint John the height difference from low to high tide is approximately 50 feet due to the funnelling effect of the Bay of Fundy as it narrows.

The Reversing Falls in Saint John, actually an area of strong rapids, provides one example of the power of these tides; at every high tide, ocean water is pushed through a narrow gorge in the middle of the city and forces the St. John River to reverse its flow for several hours.These rapids are a huge tourist attraction as are the large jet boats that propell people through these powerful rapids.Not a place to canoe.

Even the world class kyaker has to look for ideal conditions and a careful course to navigate these fierce rapids at lower to low tide.

North End

The area north of the Highway #1 from the South Central Peninsula is called the North End; both areas being predominantly urban residential comprised of older housing which is undergoing gentrification.

Much of the North End is made up of the former city of Portland and comprises another former working class area which is slowly undergoing gentrification at the eastern end of Douglas Avenue; immediately north of Portland and upstream from the Reversing Falls is the former community of Indiantown.

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/mclays/images/sjpic06t.jpg

The Reversing Fall bridge and Tourist Center and Dining Room etc.

Vessels navigating the Saint John River can only transit the Reversing Falls gorge at slack tide, thus Indiantown became a location during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries where tugboats and paddle wheelers could dock to wait. Being located at the beginning of the navigable part of the St. John River, Indiantown also became a major terminal for vessels departing to ply their trade upriver. Further north of the central part of the city, and northeast of the North End and Portland, along the southern bank of the Kennebecasis River is the neighbourhood of Millidgeville.

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/mclays/images/sjpic08t.jpg
Harbour Passage

Located here is a campus of the University of New Brunswick as well as southwestern New Brunswick's largest health care centre, the Saint John Regional Hospital.

The eastern area of the North End plays host to the city's largest park, and one of Canada's largest urban parks. Rockwood Park encompasses 890 hectares of upland Acadian mixed forest, many hills and several caves, as well as several freshwater lakes, with an extensive trail network, a golf course and the city's zoo.

The park was designed by Downing Vaux, one of the designers of New York City's Central Park, in the mid-1800s. Mount Pleasant borders the park, and is generally seen as distinct from the traditionally poorer North End.

East Side

To the east of the Courtney Bay / Forebay and South of Highway #1, is the East Side, where the city has experienced its greatest suburban sprawl in recent decades with commercial retail centres and residential subdivisions.

There has been commercial development in the Westmorland Road-McAllister Drive-Consumer's Drive-Major's Brook Drive-Retail Drive corridor since the 1970s, including McAllister Place, the city's largest shopping mall, which opened in 1978.

The city's current airport is located further east on the coastal plain among several lakes at the far eastern edge of the municipality.

Many Cruise ships bring people to visit Saint John every year.

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/mclays/images/sjpic09t.jpg
A Cruise Ship in Saint John Harbour.

West Side

West of the St. John River, the city is collectively referred to as West Side, however Saint Johners typically divide this into several neighbourhoods.

As mentioned previously, the Lower West Side (or sometimes "Saint John West") is the former working class neighbourhood that was known as Carleton at the time of the city's formation in 1785.

West and north of the Lower West Side is the former city of Lancaster, which was amalgamated into Saint John in 1967. The dividing line is generally agreed upon to be the street known, appropriately, as City Line, (that is where I am posting fr. now) with the streets below City Line being considered to be the West Side.

The southern part of Lancaster abutting Saint John Harbour and the Bay of Fundy is Bayshore and the location of Canadian Pacific Railway's Bayshore Yard.

The north end of Lancaster, known as Fairville, is home to Moosehead brewery (the Oldest and Independently Owned- Private Brewerey in Canada) The HOME of the former World Title Winning Moosehead Red Pale Ale . . . and older neighbourhoods clustered along Manawagonish Road. North of Fairville are the communities of Milford and Randolph. Randolph, which is home to Dominion Park Beach, is actually on the city's largest island, joined to Milford by a bridge over Mosquito Cove on Greenhead Road.

http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/inp/pics/beach1.jpg

West of Lancaster, the city hosts its second largest park, and one of the largest coastal urban parks in the country. The Irving Nature Park sits on an extensive peninsula called Taylors Island extending into the western part of the harbour into the Bay of Fundy.

Economy

Saint John is the industrial powerhouse of the Maritime provinces of Canada and hosts the greatest concentration of industry on the Atlantic coast north of New York City.

Wealthy industrialist K.C. Irving and his family built an industrial conglomerate in the city during the 20th century with interests in oil, forestry, shipbuilding, media and transportation.

Irving companies remain dominant employers in the region with the most important businesses being eastern North America's first deepwater oil terminal, a pulp mill, a newsprint mill and a tissue paper plant. Until the early 2000s, Canada's largest shipyard had been an important employer in the city.

During the 1980s-early 1990s the shipyard was responsible for building 9 of the 12 Halifax class multi-purpose patrol frigates for the Canadian Navy. However, the shipyard was left without contracts for almost a decade following the warship construction.

Other important economic activity in the city is generated by the Port of Saint John, the Moosehead Brewery, the New Brunswick Power Corporation which operates three electrical generating stations in the region including the Point Lepreau Nuclear Generating Station (I was the first Commissioning Assistantant assigned to that site following an early career as an Instrumentation and Controls Design Tchnologist with AECL or Atomic Energy Canada Ltd. in Mississauga,Ontario and the Senior Electrical Technician at the Colson Cove G.S. in Lorneville,NB) I was also a Senior EI and C Teck and Shop Stewart for IBEW Local 2309 - for as many as 110 men while at Point Lepreau.,

Aliant Telecom which operates out of the former New Brunswick Telephone headquarters (a world leader in telecommunications and Internet access), numerous information technology companies and the Atlantic Health Sciences Corporation - operator of New Brunswick's largest health care facility, Saint John Regional Hospital.

There are also a number of call centres which were established in the 1990s under provincial government incentives.

and YES! . . . We have CRACK Houses in Saint John . . too. :)

Prior to the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in the late 1950s, the Port of Saint John functioned as the winter port for Montreal, Quebec when shipping was unable to traverse the sea ice in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and St. Lawrence River.

The Canadian Pacific Railway opened a line to Saint John from Montreal in 1889 across the state of Maine and transferred the majority of its trans-Atlantic passenger and cargo shipping to the port during the winter months.

The port fell into decline following the seaway opening and the start of year-round icebreaker services in the 1960s. In 1994 CPR left Saint John when it sold the line to shortline operator New Brunswick Southern Railway. Canadian National Railway still services Saint John with a secondary mainline from Moncton, NB.

Energy projects

Canaport LNG

Canaport LNG, a partnership between Irving Oil (25%) and Repsol YPF (75%), is constructing a state-of-the-art LNG receiving and regasification terminal in Saint John, New Brunswick that will begin operations in late 2008.

It will be the first LNG regasification plant in Canada, sending out natural gas to both Canadian and American Markets. There is also a C$350 million pipeline planned to transport natural gas from the terminal to the U.S. border state.

Brunswick Pipeline

Emera Inc. will invest approximately $350 million, for full ownership of a proposed pipeline which will deliver natural gas from the planned Canaport(TM) Liquefied Natural Gas ( LNG) import terminal near Saint John, New Brunswick to markets in Canada and the US Northeast. Brunswick Pipeline will have a diameter of 30 inches and will be capable of carrying approximately 850 million cubic feet per day of re-gasified LNG.

Capacity can be expanded with added compression.[6] Brunswick Pipeline will deliver natural gas from the Canaportâ„¢ Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) receiving and re-gasification terminal near Saint John, New Brunswick to markets in Canada and the US northeast.

The 145 kilometer pipeline would extend through southwest New Brunswick to an interconnection with the Maritimes and Northeast Pipeline at the Canada/US border near St. Stephen, NB. The pipeline is under construction and it expected to be in service by the end of 2008.

Culture

Loyalist Days
Imperial Theatre, Saint John
Gothic Arches, Saint John
Saint John Theatre Company
Opera New Brunswick
Festival by the Sea
Saint John Shakespeare Festival
City of Saint John Gallery
Cobalt Gallery, Saint John
Handworks Gallery
New Brunswick Museum
Peter Buckland Gallery
Saint John Arts Centre
Third Space Gallery
Trinity Galleries
Canada Day Celebrations
Salty Jam
Canada Day Countdown

Sports

In the fall of 2005, Saint John Sea Dogs of the The Q began to play here at the 6,200 seat Harbour Station, in the city's uptown.

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/mclays/images/sjpic07t.jpg
Harbour Station,Saint John,NB.

The Saint John Flames of the AHL played here from 1993-2003, winning the Calder Cup in 2000-2001.

1999 World Curling Championships
1998 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
1997 AHL All-Star Game
1995 Skate Canada
1985 Jeux Canada Games

Military

Besides being the location of several historical forts, such as Fort Howe, Fort Dufferin, and a Martello Tower, Saint John is the location of a number of reserve units of the Canadian Forces.

HMCS Brunswicker - a Naval Reserve Division.

D Company, 1st Battalion, Royal New Brunswick Regiment (Carleton & York) - an infantry unit of 37 Canadian Brigade Group.

3rd Field Artillery Regiment (The Loyal Company) - the oldest artillery regiment in Canada and third in the British Commonwealth, a part of 37 Canadian Brigade Group.

Note:

My Father trained and served and was in manouvers and battle for 6.5 years overseas's with The Loyal Company during WW II. He was one of the last to return to HOME being assigned to the security Force after the Allies took Hitler down.

31 (Saint John) Service Battalion - a Service Battalion of 37 Canadian Brigade Group.

722 (Saint John) Communications Squadron - a unit of the Communications Reserve.

Notable firsts

Canada's first public museum, 1842. Originally known as the Gesner Museum, named after its Nova Scotian founder Abraham Gesner, the inventor of kerosene. The museum is now known as the New Brunswick Museum.

Canada's first quarantine station, Partridge Island.

The first chartered bank in Canada, 1830, the Bank of New Brunswick.

Canada's oldest publicly-funded high school, Saint John High School

The world's first foghorn as invented by Robert Foulis.

First penny newspaper in the Empire, Saint John News, established in 1838 (tri-weekly) by George E Fenety.

Canada's first Y.W.C.A. established in 1870 by Mrs. Agnes A. Blizzard, in a house on Germain Street.

First police union in the world was formed in Saint John in 1919.

First Miss Canada Mrs. Harold Drummie (nee Winnie Blair) - 1923.

First public playground in Canada which was started by Miss Mabel Peters. This playground is known as the Allison Ground Playground in Rockwood Court.

Note:

That is where I grew up living in Saint John. Rockwood Court. My Father helped build that place.I had the Best of the City and the Country. I played all sports and had Rockwood park just over a hill (a Mountain to me :) ) seperating my Parents and my home fr. all that wonderful natural parkland with many lakes etc. to roam and play in.

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/mclays/images/sjpic02t.jpg

Rockwood Park Entrance.

This is a free Public Park by the way.

Today many of my Bud's back then are still close to me, and we are a large extended family.

more firsts:

First Minister of Health of the British Empire, W. F. Roberts, M.D.

First Knights of Pythias in British Empire.

First monitor top railroad cars in the world invented by James Ferguson. The original model is in the New Brunswick Museum in Saint John.

First orchestra to accompany a silent moving picture on the North American continent was by Walter Golding in the old nickel theater, May 1907.

First clockwork time bomb developed in 1880.

Notable citizens

Stompin' Tom Connors, musician

James De Mille, novelist, educator

George Edwin King, statesman, justice of the Supreme Court of Canada

George Frederick Phillips, military hero

Walter Pidgeon, actor

Donald Sutherland, actor

William Murdoch, poet

Abraham Pineo Gesner, the inventor of kerosene, was born in Nova Scotia in 1797 but lived in Saint John from 1838 until his death in 1864. What began as Gesner's Museum in 1842 is now known as the New Brunswick Museum.

Louis B. Mayer, Hollywood producer of MGM fame, was born in Russia but raised in Saint John. The burial site of his mother can be found in the small Jewish section of the Fernhill Cemetery on Westmorland Road.

Arthur J. Nesbitt, cofounder of Nesbitt, Thomson & Co. and Power Corporation of Canada

Harry Saltzman, Producer of the James Bond 007 films. Harry bought an option on Ian Flemings' James Bond novels and became a founding partner of EON (Everything or Nothing) Productions and Danjaq, LLC along with Albert (Cubby) Broccoli. He died on September 29, 1994.

The Paris Crew - World Rowing Champions Robert Fulton, George Price, Samuel Hutton, Elijah Ross

Benedict Arnold - Arnold moved to Saint John after surrendering West Point to the British in the American Revolution

Alden Nowlan, poet

Anne Compton, winner of the Governor General's Award for Poetry, director of the Lorenzo Reading Series.

I will add Dutchie Mason.

BB King once described the Dutch as the finest Blues singer he ever heard and saw perform.

Well that is where I have ben since Sept.27,2007 and I'm having a really tough time returning to trhe City of the Damned. Montreal is really nice folks but to much 'the Mob',the gangs,The Druggies,the Triple X (XXX) Capital of North America.

Heck of a fine City to visit (I miss my Expos) and really beautiful women there and so cosmopoitan with outstanding value in food services and dining out and Old Montreal and the port is awesome along with the Summer Fireworks Displays weekly and La Rhonde is nice and a fun spot and the Casino is out of this world beautiful to me but it's lost it's soul somehow.

It still has the HABS (THe Montreal Canadians) though and they are off to a fine start in the NHL this season.

I will soon be back there posting but till then. . . .

A friendly HELLO fr. the Friendly Maritimes and the BEST DAM CITY in the East . . Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada. :)

Later. . .

woodbuck27

SkinBasket
10-31-2007, 07:47 AM
I guess meth is cheap in that part of Canada.

MadtownPacker
10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Its like an autobiography. :D

Partial
10-31-2007, 09:37 AM
summary?

packinpatland
10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I found it all very interesting.
You sure you covered everything?? :wink:

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Abraham Pineo Gesner, the inventor of kerosene, was born in Nova Scotia in 1797 but lived in Saint John from 1838 until his death in 1864.

Correction, it was actually the winter of '65. Pnemonia. Damn cold that year.

A long tale, there Woody, but worth reading. Just hope there won't be a quiz.

woodbuck27
10-31-2007, 10:35 AM

No Skin just the Mary Jane :D and the stuff that does to some. Moi.

GoPackGo
10-31-2007, 10:41 AM

Zing! Pow!

woodbuck27
10-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Its like an autobiography. :D

Hey Mad . . .whassup Big guy. :)

Prior to published my autobiography on this site. I would have to ask for Packerrats to supply a FREE EDIT before setting it down on a publisher.

That book will arrive some day when I can find the time and focus.

I have really lived MY LIFE Bud. I get a feeling that for YOU - MAD, it's the same.

Why spin when you can roll. Ehh ? :)

We only get here once, and I wish that all here will experience it at least in it's proper portion as I have experienced.

Live YOUR LIFE.

I have seen and felt a ton in LIFE and overall I'm very grateful. I always go to what sustains me. ALL I HAVE LEARNED fr. SOLID MENTORS.

DAM FINE FOLK.

Not any pussy jabbering idiots that are so washed in/on themselves, that they seek their own merits by spitting on or slamming anyone different in their simple way and not ready minds.

I cannot handle people that believe their shit is the best shit when there is never enough time for all of us to find the shit we need to get to.These people appear to me as if they are hauling a great weight of stone behind themselves.

Lighten' UP! Please!

LOVE one another better.

My advice to all my Packer fan /friends at Packerrats is never allow LIFE to kick you to the curb. Move YOUR Ass.

Don't think too much about it . . .just do it.Go to your guts every time.

No lies there. 8-)

Be grateful and appreciative of your blessings (never too down on yourself)because so many in this stinker of a time are worse off than YOU are.

Y'all may once in awhile get the spins (going for it), but as soon as it winds down, get out the key, and load the spring for the next experience.

Never never quit - always stay in that game.

LOVE your FAMILY - LOVE your Friends and acquaintences and MOST of ALL LOVE YOU the ** correct way.

** That is only for you to discover.

To use for YOUR advantage. and reflect back on ALL that count on - TRUST in YOU.

GOOD KHARMA ALWAYS WINS THE BIG SHOW.

LOVE ALL PACKER FANS !! BE LOYAL to what is or should be obvious to YOU as a Packer fan. Yup be loyal to yourself first, yet ,open to another's point of view, unless he/she is blowin' smoke and calls you down to his /her level. Then nail em' one time ONLY. Hit him /her HARD!!!

It is ALL about OUR TEAM. . the Green Bay Packers. The team before all else.

Packer fans and especially the one's that call this place their Packer HOME are awesome and well informed on the Packers needs; the NFL as a whole and the great game of football in general.

There are many people who contribute a lot of themselves at Packerrats that I have a deep respect for as top notch NFL fans.I learn all the time at Packerrats. I tell all Packer fans I know to get to Packerrats and i know a lot of them here in Saint John. Packer fans are found all over the place.You just have to inform people of your interests and there is another one standing there sharing there Packer hopes with you.

Packer fans are generally in my experience (up front and in person) very solid folks as well. People you would want a ber with or shoot pool with.

That reminds me of the Johnny Lang song 'Rack Em Up'. I 've played a lot of pool back here in ' the Surf City ' since my arrival on Sept.27/07.

Eight and Nine ball mostly.

As always we have the people at Packerrats that have worked so hard and contributed so much time to make this a growing experience towords the BEST NFL TEAM FORUM on the Net.

I'm extremely grateful and proud to be a Packerrat as we see out Packers gather themselves to become a respectable team again.

Yet . . . .

NEVER compromise on what YOU feel is best for the Packers overall.

Besides our leaders (Favre, Driver, Kampman, Barnett, Harris and Woodson - the DL and maybe the OL will jell and the contributions ( although somewhat inconsistent )of our youngbloods-Jennings, JJ, Atari Bigby, AJ Hawk Mr. Grant (who is dat man?) .

Grant came to us late just before the regular season began so he had to settle into our playbook.

Ohhh shoot I am talkin' football when it's LIFE that we give out in here.

Sorry bout dat. :)

Ahhhh Heck regarding our next opponent the KC Chiefs in their house.

' Rack Em Up ' PACKERS!!!

Mad. :pack:

woodbuck27
10-31-2007, 11:48 AM
summary?

Partial. . .I can only try.

A terrific City to grow up in with an incredible HISTORY and HERITAGE; and as Friendly a place as you could ever imagine.

Beautiful scenery and so diversified.Like the beach.?Like to hike or scale down cliffs? Like beautiful scenery and solid people.Come to Saint John to enjoy some of the finest and very private settings as well.

SAINT JOHN, New Brunswick,Canada. . . ROCKS !!

Like good shopping then it's here.

Like the theatre or the Arts ie Art studio's then get on up to Saint John on a cruise ship.Your one day won't cut it though.That is less than a tease.

You will at least see the City Market that is very special.The Heritage buildings and Shops of Uptown Saint John,NB; but there is way over the top too much more to this part of the world.

A super place to consider retiring to.

Real estate costs are outstanding here, if you will agree to go outside the city say 45 minute drive to the beautiful country settings there are special finds in real estate.YOUR Haven is here. Better people don't exist elsewhere but I also love the people of Newfoundland a lot!

I could not even do justice to ALL that Saint John is Partial, so a summary is a difficult task?

A challenging task that isn't in me :) because there is way too much to cover.

Remember this Partial.

Saint John has a very rich HISTORY. It is Canada's FIRST CITY. It's very foundation was founded by the American's LOYAL to the Crown as your country was created in the Revolutionary War much as it now exists.

Then the Irish Protestants (the Artisians and tradesmen and craftsmen arrived (1800 to 1840) and then the Catholics (1840 - 55) arrived. Although this place is WASP (English ,Irish,Scottish) other cultures have managed to integrate into Saint John's society as tough as that has been and will be to do because of the FEAR that some tend to hold onto.

Most recently we have the Chinese buying up a lot of real estate.

That is making the Irving Family nervous in my obsevation and awareness, of recent events and agendas here, involving the younger generation of the very RICH - Family Irving (KC Irving was the original Patriarch) that dominates Saint John as an Industrial Center and in its Oil Empire and Wood Product Management Programs, Mining etc.

Partial if I was to take one word to honor Saint John that word would be . .

Perseverence.

or maybe STRONG. is a better word. . .

or maybe BEAUTIFUL fits BEST.

mraynrand
10-31-2007, 12:10 PM
I cannot handle people that believe their shit is the best shit when there is never enough time for all of us to find the shit we need to get to.

Ahhh, Jonathan Swift could not have said it better; from"The Lady's Dressing Room" :

Five hours, (and who can do it less in?)
By haughty Celia spent in dressing;
The goddess from her chamber issues,
Arrayed in lace, brocades, and tissues.
Strephon, who found the room was void
And Betty otherwise employed,
Stole in and took a strict survey
Of all the litter as it lay;
Whereof, to make the matter clear,
An inventory follows here.
And first a dirty smock appeared,
Beneath the arm-pits well besmeared.
Strephon, the rogue, displayed it wide
And turned it round on every side.
On such a point few words are best,
And Strephon bids us guess the rest;
And swears how damnably the men lie
In calling Celia sweet and cleanly.
Now listen while he next produces
The various combs for various uses,
Filled up with dirt so closely fixt,
No brush could force a way betwixt.
A paste of composition rare,
Sweat, dandruff, powder, lead and hair;
A forehead cloth with oil upon't
To smooth the wrinkles on her front.
Here alum flower to stop the steams
Exhaled from sour unsavory streams;
There night-gloves made of Tripsy's hide,
Bequeath'd by Tripsy when she died,
With puppy water, beauty's help,
Distilled from Tripsy's darling whelp;
Here gallypots and vials placed,
Some filled with washes, some with paste,
Some with pomatum, paints and slops,
And ointments good for scabby chops.
Hard by a filthy basin stands,
Fouled with the scouring of her hands;
The basin takes whatever comes,
The scrapings of her teeth and gums,
A nasty compound of all hues,
For here she spits, and here she spews.
But oh! it turned poor Strephon's bowels,
When he beheld and smelt the towels,
Begummed, besmattered, and beslimed
With dirt, and sweat, and ear-wax grimed.
No object Strephon's eye escapes:
Here petticoats in frowzy heaps;
Nor be the handkerchiefs forgot
All varnished o'er with snuff and snot.
The stockings, why should I expose,
Stained with the marks of stinking toes;
Or greasy coifs and pinners reeking,
Which Celia slept at least a week in?
A pair of tweezers next he found
To pluck her brows in arches round,
Or hairs that sink the forehead low,
Or on her chin like bristles grow.
The virtues we must not let pass,
Of Celia's magnifying glass.
When frighted Strephon cast his eye on't
It shewed the visage of a giant.
A glass that can to sight disclose
The smallest worm in Celia's nose,
And faithfully direct her nail
To squeeze it out from head to tail;
(For catch it nicely by the head,
It must come out alive or dead.)
Why Strephon will you tell the rest?
And must you needs describe the chest?
That careless wench! no creature warn her
To move it out from yonder corner;
But leave it standing full in sight
For you to exercise your spite.
In vain, the workman shewed his wit
With rings and hinges counterfeit
To make it seem in this disguise
A cabinet to vulgar eyes;
For Strephon ventured to look in,
Resolved to go through thick and thin;
He lifts the lid, there needs no more:
He smelt it all the time before.
As from within Pandora's box,
When Epimetheus oped the locks,
A sudden universal crew
Of humane evils upwards flew,
He still was comforted to find
That Hope at last remained behind;
So Strephon lifting up the lid
To view what in the chest was hid,
The vapours flew from out the vent.
But Strephon cautious never meant
The bottom of the pan to grope
And foul his hands in search of Hope.
O never may such vile machine
Be once in Celia's chamber seen!
O may she better learn to keep
"Those secrets of the hoary deep"!
As mutton cutlets, prime of meat,
Which, though with art you salt and beat
As laws of cookery require
And toast them at the clearest fire,
If from adown the hopeful chops
The fat upon the cinder drops,
To stinking smoke it turns the flame
Poisoning the flesh from whence it came;
And up exhales a greasy stench
For which you curse the careless wench;
So things which must not be exprest,
When plumpt into the reeking chest,
Send up an excremental smell
To taint the parts from whence they fell,
The petticoats and gown perfume,
Which waft a stink round every room.
Thus finishing his grand survey,
Disgusted Strephon stole away
Repeating in his amorous fits,
Oh! Celia, Celia, Celia shits!
But vengeance, Goddess never sleeping,
Soon punished Strephon for his peeping:
His foul Imagination links
Each dame he see with all her stinks;
And, if unsavory odors fly,
Conceives a lady standing by.
All women his description fits,
And both ideas jump like wits
By vicious fancy coupled fast,
And still appearing in contrast.
I pity wretched Strephon blind
To all the charms of female kind.
Should I the Queen of Love refuse
Because she rose from stinking ooze?
To him that looks behind the scene
Satira's but some pocky queen.
When Celia in her glory shows,
If Strephon would but stop his nose
(Who now so impiously blasphemes
Her ointments, daubs, and paints and creams,
Her washes, slops, and every clout
With which he makes so foul a rout),
He soon would learn to think like me
And bless his ravished sight to see
Such order from confusion sprung,
Such gaudy tulips raised from dung.

woodbuck27
10-31-2007, 12:43 PM
I cannot handle people that believe their shit is the best shit when there is never enough time for all of us to find the shit we need to get to.

Ahhh, Jonathan Swift could not have said it better; from"The Lady's Dressing Room" :

Five hours, (and who can do it less in?)
By haughty Celia spent in dressing;
The goddess from her chamber issues,
Arrayed in lace, brocades, and tissues.
Strephon, who found the room was void
And Betty otherwise employed,
Stole in and took a strict survey
Of all the litter as it lay;
Whereof, to make the matter clear,
An inventory follows here.
And first a dirty smock appeared,
Beneath the arm-pits well besmeared.
Strephon, the rogue, displayed it wide
And turned it round on every side.
On such a point few words are best,
And Strephon bids us guess the rest;
And swears how damnably the men lie
In calling Celia sweet and cleanly.
Now listen while he next produces
The various combs for various uses,
Filled up with dirt so closely fixt,
No brush could force a way betwixt.
A paste of composition rare,
Sweat, dandruff, powder, lead and hair;
A forehead cloth with oil upon't
To smooth the wrinkles on her front.
Here alum flower to stop the steams
Exhaled from sour unsavory streams;
There night-gloves made of Tripsy's hide,
Bequeath'd by Tripsy when she died,
With puppy water, beauty's help,
Distilled from Tripsy's darling whelp;
Here gallypots and vials placed,
Some filled with washes, some with paste,
Some with pomatum, paints and slops,
And ointments good for scabby chops.
Hard by a filthy basin stands,
Fouled with the scouring of her hands;
The basin takes whatever comes,
The scrapings of her teeth and gums,
A nasty compound of all hues,
For here she spits, and here she spews.
But oh! it turned poor Strephon's bowels,
When he beheld and smelt the towels,
Begummed, besmattered, and beslimed
With dirt, and sweat, and ear-wax grimed.
No object Strephon's eye escapes:
Here petticoats in frowzy heaps;
Nor be the handkerchiefs forgot
All varnished o'er with snuff and snot.
The stockings, why should I expose,
Stained with the marks of stinking toes;
Or greasy coifs and pinners reeking,
Which Celia slept at least a week in?
A pair of tweezers next he found
To pluck her brows in arches round,
Or hairs that sink the forehead low,
Or on her chin like bristles grow.
The virtues we must not let pass,
Of Celia's magnifying glass.
When frighted Strephon cast his eye on't
It shewed the visage of a giant.
A glass that can to sight disclose
The smallest worm in Celia's nose,
And faithfully direct her nail
To squeeze it out from head to tail;
(For catch it nicely by the head,
It must come out alive or dead.)
Why Strephon will you tell the rest?
And must you needs describe the chest?
That careless wench! no creature warn her
To move it out from yonder corner;
But leave it standing full in sight
For you to exercise your spite.
In vain, the workman shewed his wit
With rings and hinges counterfeit
To make it seem in this disguise
A cabinet to vulgar eyes;
For Strephon ventured to look in,
Resolved to go through thick and thin;
He lifts the lid, there needs no more:
He smelt it all the time before.
As from within Pandora's box,
When Epimetheus oped the locks,
A sudden universal crew
Of humane evils upwards flew,
He still was comforted to find
That Hope at last remained behind;
So Strephon lifting up the lid
To view what in the chest was hid,
The vapours flew from out the vent.
But Strephon cautious never meant
The bottom of the pan to grope
And foul his hands in search of Hope.
O never may such vile machine
Be once in Celia's chamber seen!
O may she better learn to keep
"Those secrets of the hoary deep"!
As mutton cutlets, prime of meat,
Which, though with art you salt and beat
As laws of cookery require
And toast them at the clearest fire,
If from adown the hopeful chops
The fat upon the cinder drops,
To stinking smoke it turns the flame
Poisoning the flesh from whence it came;
And up exhales a greasy stench
For which you curse the careless wench;
So things which must not be exprest,
When plumpt into the reeking chest,
Send up an excremental smell
To taint the parts from whence they fell,
The petticoats and gown perfume,
Which waft a stink round every room.
Thus finishing his grand survey,
Disgusted Strephon stole away
Repeating in his amorous fits,
Oh! Celia, Celia, Celia shits!
But vengeance, Goddess never sleeping,
Soon punished Strephon for his peeping:
His foul Imagination links
Each dame he see with all her stinks;
And, if unsavory odors fly,
Conceives a lady standing by.
All women his description fits,
And both ideas jump like wits
By vicious fancy coupled fast,
And still appearing in contrast.
I pity wretched Strephon blind
To all the charms of female kind.
Should I the Queen of Love refuse
Because she rose from stinking ooze?
To him that looks behind the scene
Satira's but some pocky queen.
When Celia in her glory shows,
If Strephon would but stop his nose
(Who now so impiously blasphemes
Her ointments, daubs, and paints and creams,
Her washes, slops, and every clout
With which he makes so foul a rout),
He soon would learn to think like me
And bless his ravished sight to see
Such order from confusion sprung,
Such gaudy tulips raised from dung.

Cleft:

There is a study there mraynrand, of certain meaning and well spent time never worn in itself?

Depends upon the person.The accepted invitation of a challenge and inspection.

A focus to UNDERSTAND to APPLY to the SOUL and MASTER as best ONE may.

It's as one discovers it and feels it deeply. We desire to share ourselves but only the open are ready to accept that gift as they may. The lesson handed down to those we care for.

Then (just) maybe. . .To incorporate that to oneself, as a rare and cherished GIFT of all that is of value to the self. The message of the ages and one's experience who lived life to the fullest.

The decision then to share THAT somehow with those somehow important to ourselves. Our close friends who we share our pain with.

Thank You for sharing. It is a heavy ass'd piece of writing Cleft Crusty.

It requires a wee more than a tad of examination and reflection and re-examimation.

Only then may we see the reflection of that in our self, experience it as we knew just the same or something similiar.

mraynrand.

It's deep,heavy and potentially shared and all so very cool.

It will touch every man that has know the vain woman. .that pretender of false modesty and ruin of certain men that love beyond LOVE. 8-)

woodbuck27
10-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I found it all very interesting.
You sure you covered everything?? :wink:

packinpatland

I would need at least a 6-12 month period of my life to cover it all even just adequately packinpatland.

While at University in 1987 and for a Sociology Course project.

I had to do a Demographic study and write-up on a distinct society.

I chose my HOME of Saint John, New Brunswick as the subject of that study. It took about 220 hours of my valuable time needed for other courses to research and write-up - edit and type that project.I really went to town on that one.

I gave my all. I called it ' A Demographic Study of the SURF CITY '.

The reward for my efforts was more than just sufficient and stays with me today. It helped me to realize my potential.

Writing like all else takes effort and refinement in terms of fine tuning to a limit.It takes a lot of work and practise (and constant reference to a dictionary (out of resopect to writing as well as one may).

One must love writing and know how to use it as an art form.

I scampered on down to just there ( I sensed then and now) on that project. I busted my ass on that project going for the best i could produce.

The REWARD.

Let me put it this way.

It gave me a return in balance with my effort. Satisfaction.

packinpatland:

Here is a gift.

Try to find anything by a local former newspaper man and famour New Brunswick writer/author named Stuart Trueman.

He has written a series of fine books on this region and possibly if i re-call his work correctly. The Maritime's as well.

Nova scotia and Prince Edward Island along with New Brunswick comprise 'the Maritime Region' or Maritime Provinces referred to simply asd the Maritimes.

East of us and a half hour earlier then our time is Newfoundland. An amazing Province with it all as it should sometimes be.

The only Canadian Province I have yet to visit and one helluva place Packerrats. Amazing people, history, folklore, music, scenery, wildlife etc .and the BEST people.

This is a place I highly recommend that you at least visit via the Net.

Listen to the Neufy music and laugh hard at the Newfy jokes. These people fr. Newfoundland are TOPS !

back to Mr. Trueman:

Stuart Trueman does a great job of setting New Brunswick,Canada and Saint John, NB and all it's history and local folklore and tales out there for anyone who wants to read decent and interesting writing on people, places and events in a distinct region.

He is our's or our local version of Pierre Berton,Morely Callahan, Farley Mowat, Mordacha Richler, Robert Munsch,Leonard Cohen, Lucy Maud Montgomery and Margaret Atwood and other great - world class Canadian authors.

Stuart Trueman is a fine and respected man (here) ; an excellent story teller.

Check him out and you will be pleased. :)

woodbuck27
10-31-2007, 05:38 PM
On New Brunswick's Author Stewert Treuman.

http://www.lib.unb.ca/archives/finding/trueman/ser2.html

BOOKS BY STUART TRUEMAN

(Published)

1. Cousin Elva (1955)

2. The Ordeal of John Gyles; being an account of his odd adventures, strange deliverances etc. as a slave of the Maliseets (1966)

3. You're Only as Old as You Act (1968)

4. An Intimate History of New Brunswick (1970)

5. My Life as a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (1972)

6. The Fascinating World of New Brunswick (1973)

7. Ghosts Pirates and Treasure Trove: The Phantoms That Haunt New Brunswick (1975)

8. The Wild Life I've Led (1976)

9. Tall Tales and True Tales from Down East: Eerie experiences, heroic exploits, extraordinary personalities, ancient legends and folklore from New Brunswick and elsewhere in the Maritimes (1979)

10. The Colour of New Brunswick (1981) - with photographer Bill Brooks

11. Don't Let Them Smell the Lobsters Cooking: The lighter side of growing up in the Maritimes long ago (1982)

12. Favourite Recipes from Old New Brunswick Kitchens (1983) - co-authored with Mildred Trueman

13. Life's Odd Moments (1984)

14. Mildred Trueman's New Brunswick Heritage Cookbook (1986) - co-authored with Mildred Trueman

15. Add Ten Years to Your Life (1989)

UNPUBLISHED MANUSCRIPTS

16. Pick Up Your Skirts and Run

17. `To the Ladies -- God Bless Them' (Some of Them Anyway)

18. The Story of the Undefended Border (short manuscript)

19. The Gentleman in Shorts (by Trueman?)

Books.-- 1955-1989.-- 272 cm of textual records

Scope and content: This series documents Trueman's literary career with respect to the research, writing, editing, and promotion of his 12 book-length manuscripts. It also documents stages of production and promotion of two cookbooks which he co-authored with his wife, Mildred Trueman.

In addition, this series includes drafts of two unpublished manuscripts and materials relating to The Colour of New Brunswick, a picture book published jointly with Toronto photographer Bill Brooks.

Of particular note under no. 1 are 5 files which contain several different adaptations of Cousin Elva for television and the stage.

Of special interest under no. 3 are 3 files relating to the Stephen Leacock Award for Humour which Trueman won in 1969 for You're Only as Old as You Act. They contain drafts of Trueman's acceptance speech, personal mementos of the award dinner, and copies of newspaper articles.

Correspondence relating to published and unpublished manuscripts generally and to Cousin Elva, The Ordeal of John Gyles, The Fascinating World of New Brunswick and Mildred Trueman's two cookbooks specifically is located in series 1. Also located in series 1 are letters sent to Trueman following his receipt of the Stephen Leacock Award for Humour.

woodbuck27
10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Abraham Pineo Gesner, the inventor of kerosene, was born in Nova Scotia in 1797 but lived in Saint John from 1838 until his death in 1864.

Correction, it was actually the winter of '65. Pnemonia. Damn cold that year.

A long tale, there Woody, but worth reading. Just hope there won't be a quiz.

Harlan. I was thinking of you among other's on our Packer forum as a World Traveller and possibly a very rich man who might want to invest in a nice piece of New Brunswick beauty when I laid that post down.

They don't call New Brunswick 'the Picture Province' for nothing and the population here would suprize y'all.

Check that out. :)

Harlan.

How many people live in this Province in the last Census?

Lots of space here. Loads of beauty and PEACE. LOW low crime rate and many people not too cool for a great time.

Party central all year long.The Province is about 55% Wasp and the remainder mostly od French Acadian Heritage and living in the North and along the East coast and of course in the fast growing HUB of the Maritimes Moncton,NB.

A real sense of community abounds in all corners of this province.

It's a very cool place,Harlan.

and YES the BIG QUIZ will be just before Christmas.

True and false and multiple choice questions of course. :)

PEACE and HARMONY Harlan and ALL Packerrats, fr. ' the Surf City ' and . . . all my Friends and Family back here in the Maritimes. :)

oregonpackfan
10-31-2007, 06:05 PM
That is one comprehensive, display of your family and home environment! 8-)

We need to get GBRulz and MJZiggy to organize a PackerRat visit next summer.

I think the outhouse would provide suitable lodging for Madtown! :lol:

Growing up in norther Wisconsin, my gradfather had a cabin on Lac Court O'Reilles near Hayward. An outhouse surrounded by trees served our bathroom "Needs." When one of my sisters had to use the "facility" during the middle of the night, they woke me up for "Black Bear Security."

MJZiggy
10-31-2007, 06:07 PM

Growing up in norther Wisconsin, my gradfather had a cabin on Lac Court O'Reilles near Hayward. An outhouse surrounded by trees served our bathroom "Needs." When one of my sisters had to use the "facility" during the middle of the night, they woke me up for "Black Bear Security."

Sorry, too busy working on the 2nd Annual PackerRats Poster Game...

woodbuck27
10-31-2007, 10:19 PM

Haha. :)

My Father was a Master Plumber so we actually have a full bath in that farmhouse oregonpackfan.

The thing is we have a Family of Hummimg Birds that return every spring(late) to the homestead in Juvenile and these wee critters are awesome and very friendly.

If I go to that outhouse I most likely will get a visit fr. one of the senior members of the Humming Bird family who enjoys a little small talk in the early morning hours.

I seldom miss a sunrise in Juvenile when the weather permits that.I am out in that outhouse for my morning constitutional, and often meet with my Humming Bird buddy for a wee chat.

He usually also visits me every evening, as he does his best impression of a Blackhawk Helocopter, teaching the young Hummimg Birds how to defend the food supply.

Humming Birds are my favourite member of the Animal (Bird) Kingdom.

They get to know they are safe near you and will zip right up to your ear, buzz you, and then roll to within an inch or so from your face and listen intently as you speak to them.

They are very entertaining. :)

In the summer months the days are mostly hot (up to 100 Degrees F ) and we get a great breeze by midday to keep it fr. becoming clammy. The home is located above the S.Branch of the Oromocto River and about 300-400 feet elevation above it.

The balmy breeze's and the large cotton candy like clouds with pink and yellow to gold undersides are spectacular in the evening as are the sunsets.

The stars and shooting stars and heat lightning shows are also an added treat.Sometimes a lightning storm flashs in the same spot in the sky for over an hour.

It is more spectacular than the Montreal Fireworks in it's natural state.

Juvenile truly is a magical, a spiritual experience for anyone that has time to spend there.One needs more than a day or two to get the true value of all it offers.

I spent a lot of time there as a youngun and all summer and fall of 1995.That was an amazing experience for me as I worked long hours improving the woodlot doing Silvaculture and removing brush where that was needed.

I don't know when I was in such good shape as that summer and fall. Hard work.Good food and fresh air.

No substitute for that as a quality life.

All my friends love to visit Juvenile.

Any Lady Friends seem to get annoid with me as it can't be all play as things have to be done.We have a large area of lawn to maintain and it grows too fast in June-July.Then there are all the necessary repairs as maintence is always necessary to stay on top of it or it would go to 'H'.

I like it for another reason.The Saturdat night Stock car races in Geary,NB are 20 minutes drive away fr. Juvenile. AQ super an inexpesive night out for friends and family.This track is also described as the fastest in Canada so the racing is a blast.

Hunting there in the fal and good fishing in late spring and all summer top it off.Plus great places to swim and bath and juast explore.

I also have permission or access to two great cabin/camps on different lakes.Schooler and White Birch lakes to add more to the experience there .So I get some guys out for a big feed and a Poker Night. Sleep over and a huge breckfast and then a fine hike say up to Schooler Mountain that offers an amazing vista overlooking many other lakes and fine forest that is if it's not clearcut.

Lots to entertain me in Juvenile.

Then we play horseshoe's,darts,frizbee,chess,backgammon,checker s, dominos or maybe have a day of RISK around a fine supper and late lunch.

UIt is all there.This summer if I return I want to set up ring toss with the large washers and volley ball.

We have several people that play guitar and juiceharp and spoons and sing way too good. My brother Dennis was once a professional entertainer in several bands as a lead guitar player.

Marilyn's fella, Dan the man is just an amazing entertainer and loves to do that for hours; as does a friend fr. McKadam (Bruce) will play non stop for 4-6 hours and never repeat a song. These felas would play so well there are times it's hard to keep the tears away.Dan does The Wreck of the edmund Fitzgerald better than Gordon Lightfoot. He blows me away with his talent just as Dennis and Bruce do.We have more guitar players that love to just be up at the home in juvenile.

Often it is party central but we work hard for that. We also love to have people in for a visit and a stay over. Just bring your own beer etc.and a great attitude.

Wanna work? We'll put you to work. :)

MadtownPacker
11-01-2007, 07:55 AM
I think the outhouse would provide suitable lodging for Madtown! :lol: Is that like a guest house? :oops:

swede
11-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I think the outhouse would provide suitable lodging for Madtown! :lol: Is that like a guest house? :oops:

The story goes that Madtown, desperate for a place to stay while in Wisconsin, agreed to rent an outhouse belonging to GBRulz.

GBRulz was surprised to see a television antenna mounted to the outhouse a few days later. Madtown explained that he was simply getting comfortable. When a second antenna showed up a few days later, GBRulz asked Mad if he had gotten a second TV.

"Oh no!" says Mad, "I sublet the basement to Rastak."

esoxx
11-01-2007, 05:57 PM
So Cleft is actually mraynrand, eh? I would have never guessed.

MadtownPacker
11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
"Oh no!" says Mad, "I sublet the basement to Rastak." :lol: :lol: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
11-01-2007, 09:58 PM

Awesome! Is that one of those Polish outhouses?

http://www.wildwestmodels.com/images/two-story-outhouse-200.gif

woodbuck27
11-06-2007, 03:41 PM

That was my take esoxx.

Are you in the Pickem this season Esoxx?

woodbuck27
11-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Awesome! Is that one of those Polish outhouses?

http://www.wildwestmodels.com/images/two-story-outhouse-200.gif

That's a State of the Art Rural Library Harvey, with the Archive section upstairs. :)

esoxx
11-06-2007, 05:36 PM

That was my take esoxx.

Are you in the Pickem this season Esoxx?

Yes I am. Not doing too well, just outside the top 10. Still alive in the Survival Pool though.

Fosco33
11-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Haha. :)

My Father was a Master Plumber so we actually have a full bath in that farmhouse oregonpackfan.

The thing is we have a Family of Hummimg Birds that return every spring(late) to the homestead in Juvenile and these wee critters are awesome and very friendly.

If I go to that outhouse I most likely will get a visit fr. one of the senior members of the Humming Bird family who enjoys a little small talk in the early morning hours.

I seldom miss a sunrise in Juvenile when the weather permits that.I am out in that outhouse for my morning constitutional, and often meet with my Humming Bird buddy for a wee chat.

He usually also visits me every evening, as he does his best impression of a Blackhawk Helocopter, teaching the young Hummimg Birds how to defend the food supply.

Humming Birds are my favourite member of the Animal (Bird) Kingdom.

They get to know they are safe near you and will zip right up to your ear, buzz you, and then roll to within an inch or so from your face and listen intently as you speak to them.

They are very entertaining. :)

Ed - I have to agree with your sentiment on hummingbirds. We've recently had a family of 4 or 5 compete for our bird feeder (we fill up about 2 or 3 X's per week). They'll come and sip about a foot (or less) away as we enjoy the great Cali sun.

They even had a nest within view - and we'd watch their habits. Never knew they were so territorial and liked eating tiny bugs.

Good stuff.