PDA

View Full Version : The worst running game vs the worst run D - thoughts?

lod01
10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
And Ryan Grant wins. Was it because of Ryan Grant or OL play or that D really sucks or a combination. Everyone is saying, 'yeah but it's the Denver defense'. How about , 'yeah but it was a FA running back'. Don't get me wrong as I really am intrigued by Grant as I questioned this in an earlier thread before this week's game.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=9095&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

That was based on the runs I saw him make earlier in the season.

Does anyone have any history on Grant as in fumble problems at ND or why he was behind Walker at ND. Over at the Giants message board, they really liked the guy but it was a numbers game. I read that he had a 4.6 pro day run and that hurt him. Then he apaprently ran 4.4 for the Giants after training.

Thoughts on: Is it that Grant knows what to do in this scheme better than the other RB's? Maybe the OL is getting this blocking down right at the same time a RB that can maximize it's blocking becomes the starter.

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't know what he runs, but he looks like a baller to me. Similar to Jones and Jennings at WR. We'll see. Bad days are ahead, I agree. Unless the run blocking is there. At least, he showed he can gain yards and blast it up in there when he does get some blocking.

MJZiggy
10-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I like that when Grant runs into a pile, the pile falls in the direction he was going.

StPaulPackFan
10-31-2007, 04:18 PM
After watching him on Monday night I get the impression that he runs "angry", much like Green used to do. He hits the hole hard and seems to be moving forward at the end of the run. He also doesn't seem to mind laying the wood to defenders.

It will be interesting to see how he fairs over the next couple weeks...

mraynrand
10-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Ya know, Cristl's little buddy Eric Baranczyk wrote:

"But when everybody in the whole stadium knows it's going to be a run, your offensive line has to be able to take over and get you two or three or four yards or whatever you need. And in those situations, it didn't happen."

I disagree. I thought that was the time the Packers should have thrown the ball - especially on the last drive on the last set of downs. They stacked up against the run - the Packers should have gone to their strength - passing - and not try to run it against 9 guys in the box. Also, if your O-line can get 3-4 or whatever yards under those circumstances, then you would never ever pass the ball, because you could get what you needed running. It's an odd statement/position made even more odd by the fact that the Packers' run game is so anemic.

RashanGary
10-31-2007, 04:47 PM
I thought the same thing mraynrand. When the whole stadium knows you are going to run, you pass and put the game away.

In the beginning of the game when the team thinks you are going to pass because it is your MO, you run to keep them off balance and take advantage of what is given.

A good playcaller goes with the flow of the game and knows when to take what punches. Running with 9 in the box is stupid unless you are up by a bunch of scores.

Rastak
10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
I thought the same thing mraynrand. When the whole stadium knows you are going to run, you pass and put the game away.

In the beginning of the game when the team thinks you are going to pass because it is your MO, you run to keep them off balance and take advantage of what is given.

A good playcaller goes with the flow of the game and knows when to take what punches. Running with 9 in the box is stupid unless you are up by a bunch of scores.

or you are the Vikings and you can't do anything else...... :cry:

lod01
11-01-2007, 07:33 AM
I had no idea he had 4.43 speed.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/254432

But the Packers liked him since seeing him at the 2005 NFL scouting combine — where he ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash, had a vertical jump of 33� inches and ran the shuttle drill in 4.14 seconds — and followed him closely throughout the preseason, sending a scout to all of the Giants' games

run pMc
11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Were they trying to run out the clock? Lots of coaches won't throw the ball if they have the ball, the lead, and a dwindling clock. The clock becomes your enemy at that point.
I wonder if that wouldn't be a good time for a slant or a screen or something, but it is risky. It's a no-win situation. Either way -- If you throw and it's incomplete or if you try to run and can't get the 1st down -- you're skewered by fans and the media.

run pMc
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM
From what I've seen of Grant, he's decisive and he hits the lane (or pile if there is no lane) hard. I think that's partly due to his running style and partly due to coaching.
Don't know about his speed, but I don't think any of the RB's are burners. Remember Wynn looking over his shoulder on the big run vs. CHI?
All the same, I'd take guys with good instincts, toughness, and quickness over pure speed at the RB.
It's still too early to say anything about Grant, but I'm hoping he pans out. He's got a chance, and the running game desperately needs help.

MJZiggy
11-01-2007, 08:39 AM
That's the thing about this season. They've ALL had their chances. Some did better with the opportunity than others.

Tarlam!
11-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Running with 9 in the box is stupid unless you are up by a bunch of scores.

or you are the Vikings and you can't do anything else...... :cry:

Bwahahahahahahaha! Sorry Ras, I wouldn't have LOL if this came from a Pack fan, but since you're so damned Purple, I just had to!

I wish we had AP. I had a meeting last Monday with a coupla Ecolab guys and they're fans of the Vikes, too. I told 'em straight up that I think this time next year we'll all be saying AP is the best RB in football.

I really believe that, too.