PDA

View Full Version : Calling Whitetail hunters

GoPackGo
11-01-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm not seeing much sign of whitetail deer on my hunting grounds this year. There is Bear crap everywhere and I even saw a wolf. Are these predator animals scaring away all of the whitetails? I'm not seeing any buck rubs or deer crap. My first thought is to increase the food levels on the land by planting some hay or clovers but Bear like to eat that food too. What can I do? any ideas?

Freak Out
11-01-2007, 01:56 PM
The wheels of steel don't sound like a great place to hunt in the first place.....I take it you are in Wisconsin? Bought 40 acres to hunt on?

GoPackGo
11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
The wheels of steel don't sound like a great place to hunt in the first place.....I take it you are in Wisconsin? Bought 40 acres to hunt on?

I live in a van on 40 acres of land in northern Wisconsin. Do you have some good advice or what?

Partial
11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Hunt some bears. Make them know whos boss. If any of them talk back, yell "do you know what this is bra?!? This is the mace they use on bears faggot!"

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/1010/1010_hall_monitor_cartman.jpg

Go with christ

Deputy Nutz
11-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't think the Bear are your problem, it is likely the wolf population. If you are hunting in an area that doesn't have farm fields I would be careful using food dispensers because that is like a trap set up for the deer, they come and feed at night and those bloody cock sucking wolves jump their asses.

Another thing, do you usually see scrapes and rubs? We have two farms that we hunt, one with farm fields and corn and I hardly ever see any buck sign in the form of rubs and scrapes, but on our other acreage their is no corn planted and it is used as a travel and bedding area, which we see tons of scrapes and rubs. Both have nice bucks, but I think the doe population on the first farm is more and the competition isn't as great.

Anyways, I don't think you can kill wolf, I think they are protected, Bear you have to draw a tag and one dead bear ain't gonna help.

BallHawk
11-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I live in a van on 40 acres of land in northern Wisconsin. Do you have some good advice or what?

Would that van happen to be down by the river?

:D

Little Whiskey
11-01-2007, 04:06 PM
I think i might have told this story, but last year while hunting in the Upper. We had wolves howling out side of our tent. I would have sworn they were sitting around our camp fire. a very errie feeling.

I agree that we need a season on wolves. the US's version of dangerous game.

Deputy Nutz
11-01-2007, 04:15 PM
I think i might have told this story, but last year while hunting in the Upper. We had wolves howling out side of our tent. I would have sworn they were sitting around our camp fire. a very errie feeling.

I agree that we need a season on wolves. the US's version of dangerous game.

What about the Cougar that the DNR refuses to admit exist on the East side of the Mississippi River?

Freak Out
11-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Is there any public land you can hunt on in Wisconsin? I have no clue how to hunt Whitetails...I hunt Moose, Caribou and Kodiak Blacktail deer. I shoot bears on occasion but only when necessary. Bears kill more moose and Caribou here than wolf do...but in the winter wolves can wipe out pockets of moose. Do you do most of your hunting from stands? Can you "call" in a buck during the rut?

oregonpackfan
11-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Growing up in Northern Wisconsin, I learned one hazard of driving at night was hitting or nearly hitting a whitetail deer with your car. I had half a dozen near misses but finally hit my first whitetail 3 years ago when I came home for a family funeral.

In the Western part of Oregon, we have Blacktail Deer, which are smaller than Wisconsin's Whitetail.

For some reason, the Blacktails aren't hit by cars with the frequency that Whitetail deers are in Wisconsin.

Do any of you "Deer experts" have any theories on this?

Deputy Nutz
11-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Is there any public land you can hunt on in Wisconsin? I have no clue how to hunt Whitetails...I hunt Moose, Caribou and Kodiak Blacktail deer. I shoot bears on occasion but only when necessary. Bears kill more moose and Caribou here than wolf do...but in the winter wolves can wipe out pockets of moose. Do you do most of your hunting from stands? Can you "call" in a buck during the rut?

Whitetail deer in Wisconsin are a different animal than whitetail anywhere else, the big problem is that we have an abundant number of deer. The lovely DNR claims that there is over a million of them running around in Wisconsin with a large percentage of them roaming the lower half of the state. The Doe in some places out number bucks 3 to 1 even 4 to 1. Most of the state is now in Earn a Buck where hunters have to take an antlerless deer before harvesting a buck. This due to the overblown media hype of Chronic Wasting Disease that has the DNR making new regulations every single season. It is difficult to call in Bucks or rattle them in because the competition in certain part of the state is minimal.

Hunters usually hunt in tree stands, ground blinds, and still hunt. Bow hunters are usually always in tree stands.

Buffalo County is one of the top areas in the United States for killing trophy size whitetails, unfortunately there is very little public land in that county, and many landowners have leased their land.

There is a lot of public hunting land in Wisconsin which is nice, several large state parks, and even small plots of land anywhere between 30 acres to 250 acres.

Deputy Nutz
11-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Growing up in Northern Wisconsin, I learned one hazard of driving at night was hitting or nearly hitting a whitetail deer with your car. I had half a dozen near misses but finally hit my first whitetail 3 years ago when I came home for a family funeral.

In the Western part of Oregon, we have Blacktail Deer, which are smaller than Wisconsin's Whitetail.

For some reason, the Blacktails aren't hit by cars with the frequency that Whitetail deers are in Wisconsin.

Do any of you "Deer experts" have any theories on this?

There are more whitetails running around in Wisconsin than there are blacktails running around in Oregon.

GBRulz
11-01-2007, 10:20 PM
If you can't kill a deer in northern WI during hunting season, perhaps you need to try leaving the tavern.

My Mom actually just killed a deer last Fri night....with her car.

The insurance companies are complaining to the DNR about how big of a problem the deer are, but they won't seem to listen. never seen a wolf up there, but have seen more bear and coyotes than I ever have. My parents live up there, in fact Dad and Brother combined own over 500 acres of land in northern WI. The deer up there are insane.

MJZiggy
11-01-2007, 10:31 PM
I was driving home from Columbia and on one back road in a span of no more than 3 miles, I saw 5 dead deer along the road and one car that I'll assume swerved to avoid a deer wrapped around a street sign.

Freak Out
11-01-2007, 10:48 PM

Whitetail deer in Wisconsin are a different animal than whitetail anywhere else, the big problem is that we have an abundant number of deer. The lovely DNR claims that there is over a million of them running around in Wisconsin with a large percentage of them roaming the lower half of the state. The Doe in some places out number bucks 3 to 1 even 4 to 1. Most of the state is now in Earn a Buck where hunters have to take an antlerless deer before harvesting a buck. This due to the overblown media hype of Chronic Wasting Disease that has the DNR making new regulations every single season. It is difficult to call in Bucks or rattle them in because the competition in certain part of the state is minimal.

Hunters usually hunt in tree stands, ground blinds, and still hunt. Bow hunters are usually always in tree stands.

Buffalo County is one of the top areas in the United States for killing trophy size whitetails, unfortunately there is very little public land in that county, and many landowners have leased their land.

There is a lot of public hunting land in Wisconsin which is nice, several large state parks, and even small plots of land anywhere between 30 acres to 250 acres.

Game management is a bitch. How many doe can you shoot a year?

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2007, 12:01 AM
As many as you fucking want. Come to Wisconsin, shoot 32 deer in one season.

We had an early season, and a neighbor heard the local poacher shooting until 11:30 at night. I wonder where all the big bucks go?

LaFours
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I've already filled one tag. Plucked a fat doe out of the herd last weekend with my bow. The bucks are chasing the does all around from what I hear. I'm off for antlers this weekend.

MadtownPacker
11-02-2007, 02:19 PM
So do you rednecks eat these deers? I have had eating deer before, good stuff.

I was suppose to have some moose when i went to Green Bay but Freak Out turned into Punked Out and never came through. :(

LaFours
11-02-2007, 02:30 PM

I was suppose to have some moose when i went to Green Bay but Freak Out turned into Punked Out and never came through. :(

Yes, we "eat these deers." But deer is like sheep, there are no deers just like there are no sheeps.

And the plural of moose is meeses :wink:

BBQ backstraps for dinner everybody...and rare.

MadtownPacker
11-02-2007, 02:32 PM

Yes, we "eat these deers." But deer is like sheep, there are no deers just like there are no sheeps.

BBQ backstraps for dinner everybody...and rare.Well its a good thing a hillbilly like you was available to explain that to me. :lol:

LL2
11-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I grew up hunting deer in northern Wisconsin. I started at age 12. I bag a couple deer but my family moved to Ohio when I was 16 and haven't hunted since. My dad still go back up to Wisconsin to hunt, but even now he only goes for a few days when he used to hunt by bow and rifle every fall. My wife doesn't care for venison so I would have to give the deer meat away if I did hunt. I didn't totally give up hunting at 16 completely. I hunted tail of another kind until I got married, so now my hunting days are over for good.

GoPackGo
11-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I grew up hunting deer in northern Wisconsin. I started at age 12. I bag a couple deer but my family moved to Ohio when I was 16 and haven't hunted since. My dad still go back up to Wisconsin to hunt, but even now he only goes for a few days when he used to hunt by bow and rifle every fall. My wife doesn't care for venison so I would have to give the deer meat away if I did hunt. I didn't totally give up hunting at 16 completely. I hunted tail of another kind until I got married, so now my hunting days are over for good.

Add your dog dieing and your pickup truck breaking and you have yourself a country song!

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2007, 04:19 PM

So your wife doesn't eat it, so you can't? (Sound of whip being brought down on man's backside)

packinpatland
11-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Mad, next year, I will bring the moose. I have a freezer full.
Actually, mooseburgers are great.

LL2
11-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Add your dog dieing and your pickup truck breaking and you have yourself a country song!

How I long for a good pick up truck, a sidekick retriever, and some good country music.

GoPackGo
11-02-2007, 05:14 PM

How I long for a good pick up truck, a sidekick retriever, and some good country music.

Don't just think it, live it. Make it happen bro

oregonpackfan
11-02-2007, 06:08 PM

Madtown,

Venison has a very distinctive taste to it. Not everyone likes it.

Maybe at next year's Packer Rats Poster's Game, you can drive around Wisconsin at night and hit your very own deer! We can show you how to gut it out, skin it, and cut it into steaks.

From there, we'll take it to GBRulz's house where she will fry 'em up for you! :)

packinpatland
11-02-2007, 06:22 PM

Madtown,

Maybe at next year's Packer Rats Poster's Game, you can drive around Wisconsin at night and hit your very own deer! We can show you how to gut it out, skin it, and cut it into steaks.

From there, we'll take it to GBRulz's house where she will fry 'em up for you! :)

Don't you have to 'drape' it over the hood of your car for a few days?

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2007, 06:36 PM
There used to be a magazine called "Roadkill Quarterly" that featured recipes and stories.

Damn, I knew I should have saved those back issues.

Freak Out
11-02-2007, 06:46 PM

I'll bring you some moose...how about an antler up the backside for starters?

GBRulz
11-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Madtown,

If I come home to a deer hanging in my garage, someone WILL pay!!

:smack:

MadtownPacker
11-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Mad, next year, I will bring the moose. I have a freezer full.
Actually, mooseburgers are great.

Who shot the deer? That nice guy you brought to the poster's game didnt look like a killer. I think you might be the murderer. :lol:

From there, we'll take it to GBRulz's house where she will fry 'em up for you! :)I have had some deer before a few times. I thought it was great, not very fatty at all.

I actually was hoping I could have gone hunting in another traditional WI way..

http://www.sleepbot.com/lookit/images/dfoley/dahlmer.jpg

MadtownPacker
11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll bring you some moose...how about an antler up the backside for starters?Hey at least then I'd know you cared. :D

LaFours
11-05-2007, 08:56 AM

BBQ backstraps for dinner everybody...and rare.Well its a good thing a hillbilly like you was available to explain that to me. :lol:

Not a problem. Glad I could help.

Joemailman
11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
The rut is on!! Wait a minute. What the hell is going on here?

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/deer_3.jpg

Little Whiskey
11-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Heading out for a week in the woods on sat. one down side....i will miss the next two packer games....televised of course. radio signal still comes in.

GoPackGo
11-06-2007, 10:30 AM
http://azfoltz.com/rsr.jpg

I bought this setup in 2001.(Ruger Super redhawk 44 mag w/ bushnell X4 close range scope)

what do you guys use for gun hunting?

packinpatland
11-06-2007, 10:34 AM
http://azfoltz.com/rsr.jpg

I bought this setup in 2001.(Ruger Super redhawk 44 mag w/ bushnell X4 close range scope)

what do you guys use for gun hunting?

Is that even legal???? :shock:

GoPackGo
11-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Is that even legal???? :shock:

It's just a .44 caliber handgun. there are bigger handguns that are legal

packinpatland
11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
I meant legal for deer hunting. Seems like you'd have to be so close to be able to bring a deer down.

GoPackGo
11-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I meant legal for deer hunting. Seems like you'd have to be so close to be able to bring a deer down.

After using a rifle for a couple years I decided it was to easy. the deer hunting stand I built is in a valley so most of the shots i take are 75 yards or less. I don't need a rifle to hit a target from that distance.

Deputy Nutz
11-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Browning BAR 30/06

packinpatland
11-06-2007, 12:56 PM

After using a rifle for a couple years I decided it was to easy. the deer hunting stand I built is in a valley so most of the shots i take are 75 yards or less. I don't need a rifle to hit a target from that distance.

Now you see, this is the part about hunting I don't get... (I grew up in a deer/moose/elk/antelope/partridge/duck/goose....hunting family)....you probably have been feeding the deer... apples, turnips, corn, whatever...so the deer come to this spot. Then you sit in a tree and shoot them. Where is the sport in this? I'm not condeming hunting, or anyone who participates in it, but I just don't get it. :roll:

GoPackGo
11-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Now you see, this is the part about hunting I don't get... (I grew up in a deer/moose/elk/antelope/partridge/duck/goose....hunting family)....you probably have been feeding the deer... apples, turnips, corn, whatever...so the deer come to this spot. Then you sit in a tree and shoot them. Where is the sport in this? I'm not condeming hunting, or anyone who participates in it, but I just don't get it. :roll:

I don't feed them or bait them. The closest thing I've done to what you are describing would be planting some clover and hay for the animals in the forest to munch on. Baiting is illegal now, but farming isn't

packinpatland
11-06-2007, 01:12 PM
My mistake, I thought you were from WS. While in GB area (UP) for the PR game, we saw all kinds of piles of turnips, apples, etc for sale, specifically for feeding the deer. Glad to hear it's illegal.............evens the 'playing field' some.

Deputy Nutz
11-06-2007, 02:23 PM
My mistake, I thought you were from WS. While in GB area (UP) for the PR game, we saw all kinds of piles of turnips, apples, etc for sale, specifically for feeding the deer. Glad to hear it's illegal.............evens the 'playing field' some.

We have corn fields where we hunt, so no reason to bait. I understand doing it to a degree, especially up north where deer are a little more scarce and there is really no food source other than natural browse for the deer to eat, hence their travel patterns won't be as easy to determine.

I agree with Food spreaders because it gives the deer a better food source in the winter, it probably helps grow bigger deer and helps keep the population up. Unfortunately I really don't agree with hunting over a pile of apples, but hell even that isn't easy. You can't make a deer come eat apples...

Harlan Huckleby
11-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Now you see, this is the part about hunting I don't get... (I grew up in a deer/moose/elk/antelope/partridge/duck/goose....hunting family)....you probably have been feeding the deer... apples, turnips, corn, whatever...so the deer come to this spot.

Come to think of it, this was Jeff Dahmer's method of operation as well. He'd invite those young guys over for dinner, and they'd end-up like venison steaks in the freezer.

Little Whiskey
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately I really don't agree with hunting over a pile of apples, but hell even that isn't easy. You can't make a deer come eat apples...

exactly.

http://www.savagearms.com/images/centerfire/package/10gxp3.jpg

Savage 110 chambered in 30/06

I do hunt over bait but we don't bait months in advance only for the time that we are in the area. Even after baiting I've gone the week and not seen anything.

Freak Out
11-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Put the pop guns down boys....

My favorite is still the Winchester model 70 375 HH magnum...I actually shoot blacktail with it in Kodiak using full metals....of course there are some big ass freaking bear running around otherwise I might feel comfortable using my 270.

Little Whiskey
11-06-2007, 07:23 PM
My favorite is still the Winchester model 70 375 HH magnum...

do you even shoot this thing?? I can't imagine you even take this to the range to sight it in. you would have a shoulder left. I'm hunting whitetail not armor plated tanks. I know a guy who likes to bring his 44 mag into camp. he winces everytime he pulls the trigger. time to gun down

Freak Out
11-06-2007, 07:31 PM

do you even shoot this thing?? I can't imagine you even take this to the range to sight it in. you would have a shoulder left. I'm hunting whitetail not armor plated tanks. I know a guy who likes to bring his 44 mag into camp. he winces everytime he pulls the trigger. time to gun down

I shoot it....but ammo is very spendy so I don't go out and blast away just for the fuck of it. My father gave me my first one because it was his favorite gun and I have used one ever since. I hunt moose most often and they are very large animals. Sure you can hunt them with smaller caliber weapons or with a bow but I feel comfortable with the 375. Great FPS and range. I also have a 338 that I use on occasion.

Freak Out
11-06-2007, 07:36 PM

I shoot it....but ammo is very spendy so I don't go out and blast away just for the fuck of it. My father gave me my first one because it was his favorite gun and I have used one ever since. I hunt moose most often and they are very large animals. Sure you can hunt them with smaller caliber weapons or with a bow but I feel comfortable with the 375. Great FPS and range. I also have a 338 that I use on occasion.

..and probably the most important reason I like to use it is because when I shoot an animal with it the thing goes down. No running around....it's on the ground. Dead or dying. I learned long ago it's no fun having a moose run off after you shoot it running through the damn swamps and brush.

Deputy Nutz
11-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Good point about those animals trying to run away.

I shoot the 30/06 because I can forget my shells and walk into the kwikkStop and find a box on the shelf. I also know that I can hunt any species in North America with it, although I probably would buy a new gun if I ever went on an expensive hunting expedition I would buy another BAR but a new one.

I am left handed so I can get me a lever action, a semiauto that doesn't fling shells down my shirt, or a lefty bolt action which can be ungodly expensive.

I almost bought a .444 Merlin lever action. I still think that would be a fun and classic gun to take out into the woods.

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2007, 08:58 PM
When I go deer hunting, it's with a 30/06 also.

Freak Out
11-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Good point about those animals trying to run away.

I shoot the 30/06 because I can forget my shells and walk into the kwikkStop and find a box on the shelf. I also know that I can hunt any species in North America with it, although I probably would buy a new gun if I ever went on an expensive hunting expedition I would buy another BAR but a new one.

I am left handed so I can get me a lever action, a semiauto that doesn't fling shells down my shirt, or a lefty bolt action which can be ungodly expensive.

I almost bought a .444 Merlin lever action. I still think that would be a fun and classic gun to take out into the woods.

Ha ha....I shoot lefty with a rifle, you can come up here and I'll loan you a gun to use. Although a guide is required for non-residents for all big game (that excludes blacktail). I had an assistant guides license years ago and suppose I could try and find a sign off if I needed. Brownings are good rifles...and they produce a few large calibers if I remember right. Someone gave me a 444 Marlin years ago...at the time the only ammo was useless beyond about 100 yards but I think you can get some better stuff now...my brother has it in Oregon.

All this talk about guns got me horny...ummm thinking...so I went to the Remington website. The first gun I bought myself was a custom Remington model 700 lefty 375 HH..cost me $630 at the time from a smith in Palmer Alaska. A similar gun today new is around $2400.

Deputy Nutz
11-07-2007, 10:18 AM

I knew it! We are brothas from different mothas!!! It explains the height difference.

Deputy Nutz
11-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Ha ha....I shoot lefty with a rifle, you can come up here and I'll loan you a gun to use. Although a guide is required for non-residents for all big game (that excludes blacktail). I had an assistant guides license years ago and suppose I could try and find a sign off if I needed. Brownings are good rifles...and they produce a few large calibers if I remember right. Someone gave me a 444 Marlin years ago...at the time the only ammo was useless beyond about 100 yards but I think you can get some better stuff now...my brother has it in Oregon.

All this talk about guns got me horny...ummm thinking...so I went to the Remington website. The first gun I bought myself was a custom Remington model 700 lefty 375 HH..cost me $630 at the time from a smith in Palmer Alaska. A similar gun today new is around $2400.

When I did some checking on the .444 it had a range of about 200 yards. I was also interested in the exact opposite, the 7mm. I like the flat shooting rifle that you can shoot dead on at 300 yards.

Otherwise, if I was to buy a new gun I would probably have to go with a .300 short mag, or ultra mag.

I would love to head up to Alaska sometime. What does a non-resident hunting license cost?

Freak Out
11-07-2007, 11:31 AM

When I did some checking on the .444 it had a range of about 200 yards. I was also interested in the exact opposite, the 7mm. I like the flat shooting rifle that you can shoot dead on at 300 yards.

Otherwise, if I was to buy a new gun I would probably have to go with a .300 short mag, or ultra mag.

I would love to head up to Alaska sometime. What does a non-resident hunting license cost?

I think around $80 but the tags/permits are twice that depending on the animal.

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 11:48 AM

I knew it! We are brothas from different mothas!!! It explains the height difference.

30 odd with a Leopold scope.

I thought about what hunting means to me--in response to people like PIPL and others that don't understand.

To me, deer hunting season is as thrilling as the Packers going to the Super Bowl. Except, no matter what happens in the hunt, it's like the Packers win.

As far as cruelty, it's certainly a lot more sporting than shooting a cow in the head with a .22 from 20 feet. Chickens die an even more cruel death. It's not like the deer come running up to your truck for you to shoot them from 20 yards.

I love it for several reasons:

1) Where I hunt. I hunt out in the Badlands in North Dakota. It's terrific scenery, and it's rugged. There's a serenity to it. There's a definite Thoreau feeling to being out in the wild like that. I'm sure it's the same sitting in a tree stand for a week.

2) It's not easy. There are times where I'll put on a good 20 miles walking up and down rugged hills during hunting season. You always see deer out there, but you don't always see a nice deer that's within good shooting range. Most of the time? Yes. It's not a certainty.

3) The people I hunt with. I've been deer hunting for close to 20 years. I hunt with a group of about 8. It's been mostly the same people the whole time. (We've lost a couple of members over the years.) Some of the people I don't see more than a couple times/year. They are great people, and I enjoy hunting with them, getting up an hour before sunrise to get ready for the day with them, and I enjoy sitting around the campfire eating home-made stew and drinking beer with them (especially after a good hunting day).

4) The thrill. Seeing a deer is even better than seeing Favre go back in the pocket in OT of the Denver game. There isn't anything like it. Getting a good shot is like seeing Jennings break free. Actually shooting the deer is like Jennings strolling into the endzone. The two things, outside of family and Christ, that excite me the most are deer hunting time and the Packers going to the Super Bowl.

BTW, I shouldn't even be in this thread--since I hunt for mule deer.

Little Whiskey
11-07-2007, 12:33 PM
great point on Number 3 harv. I'm part of the 3rd generation of hunters in this group. our group has been hunting in the same camp since the late 40's. its not so much about the deer as it is the time spent with the guys.

Deputy Nutz
11-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I started hunting 7 years ago with my wife's family. It was special like being invited into a fraternity. It was also special for them, because my father in law and brother in law were the only ones left in their hunting party. Ten years ago my wife's grandfather past away. He was of course part of the group that went hunting every year. After he past, the relatives that made up the hunting party had sort of a falling out, the grandfather was sort of the glue that held everyone together and when he died it all fell apart. So I was a bit of new blood, it made it a group again.

Harvey I would love to come out to North Dakota sometime and chase some muleys around, thank for the invite!!!

Freak Out
11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Hell Harvey...there are no Whitetails in Alaska and I'm here....

Some people just love to shoot and want trophies on the wall...some want food in the freezer..I just love to be out in the wild. Getting food in the freezer is a bonus. I have hunted with my father my entire life and now it might be the only time I see him during the year so those moments are pretty special.

A PackerRats hunting trip would be cool..anyone ever hunt Pronghorn?

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
A PackerRats hunting trip would be cool..anyone ever hunt Pronghorn?

I haven't, but there are a bunch of them out in the Badlands. I usually see pronghorn, turkey, coyotes, wild horses, fox, bison, pheasant, grouse, etc. That's another thing that's cool about being out there. No grizzlies though.

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Harvey I would love to come out to North Dakota sometime and chase some muleys around, thank for the invite!!!

It would be fun.

Deputy Nutz
11-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I will organize the hunting trip! Only if I can shoot a wild horse.

Deputy Nutz
11-07-2007, 01:19 PM

It would be fun.

Only if you sucker punch me in the gut again after I have spent the night drinking. That would be awesome.

Deputy Nutz
11-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Doesn't the season start for ya this week Harv?

So have you ever seen killed a whitetail, Muley hybrid deer? You are supposed to have a couple of those out there. The Whitetail bucks can mate with the the muley does, but the Muley bucks can't catch the whitetail doe. The whitetails are too fast for the muley

Hey, do just get a deer tag, or does it specify between the muly or the Whitetail?

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Supposed to be in the mid to upper 50s this weekend for the opener in North Dakota. Which isn't ideal for hunting or walking, but I guess it's better than 0. I've been there for 0 degrees and 75 degrees.

I'll be leaving in 10 minutes. I'm stoked.

HarveyWallbangers
11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Doesn't the season start for ya this week Harv?

So have you ever seen killed a whitetail, Muley hybrid deer? You are supposed to have a couple of those out there. The Whitetail bucks can mate with the the muley does, but the Muley bucks can't catch the whitetail doe. The whitetails are too fast for the muley

Hey, do just get a deer tag, or does it specify between the muly or the Whitetail?

Leaving in 10 minutes. Season starts at noon on Friday. We go out there a day early to hunt birds and get camped set up.

I've heard of those hybrids, but I've never seen one.

You apply for zones. I believe you can get whatever, but I'm not sure about that. You pretty much only find muleys out in the Badlands. If they didn't do the raffles, everybody would go to the Badlands. We've gotten our licenses most years, but sometimes get denied. You can get a bunch of whitetails in other zones.

LaFours
11-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I got a little emotional reading your response there Harv. Maybe I'll put together some poetic discourse on it myself in the next few days.

I've been hunting whitetails since I was 4...mostly from a tree here in central Indiana. You can't use rifles here in Indiana, but that's fine with me because my first love is archery.

Archery season here in Indiana has several perks. First, its prior to gun season so you get first dibs on the wallhangers. Second, archery season usually goes through the climactic part of the rut -- the seeking phase -- and gun season usually opens during the actual climax of the rut. As any knowledgable hunter will tell you, the seeking phase is where its at. After those bucks have found their tail, they hunker down and get to business.

I do hunt during gun season, but I use a smokepole. Its a beautiful Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine...no not one of those inline deals, this one is about 15 years old but in great shape...and she's got about 25 kills to her name too.

As far as this season goes, we're still in Archery until the 17th. I've already nailed down one doe (120 lbs of backstraps), but unfortunately I've nicked two as well. I haven't seen any bucks worth shooting at, but once I do, I can assure you, if I can pull the trigger on my release before the egger gets the best of me, I'll have pictures to show everybody.

There's my two cents...and worth every penny if you ask me.

Freak Out
11-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I've already nailed down one doe (120 lbs of backstraps),

I'm freaking salivating......

Thats funny man...the little Sitka Blacktail I hunt in Kodiak might get me 40 pounds of backstraps. But man are they good eating.

LaFours
11-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I've already nailed down one doe (120 lbs of backstraps),

I'm freaking salivating......

Thats funny man...the little Sitka Blacktail I hunt in Kodiak might get me 40 pounds of backstraps. But man are they good eating.

I won't get 120 lbs of backstraps...that was just a combination of the actual weight of the doe and the most coveted portion. I'll probably only get about 20-30 lbs of backstraps (and tenderloins), but I'll keep them whole and grill them wrapped in bacon.

How's the salivating now?

GoPackGo
11-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I won't get 120 lbs of backstraps...that was just a combination of the actual weight of the doe and the most coveted portion. I'll probably only get about 20-30 lbs of backstraps (and tenderloins), but I'll keep them whole and grill them wrapped in bacon.

I was reading that and thinking, There's no way he's getting 50 lbs. of tenderloin much less 120lbs. Glad you cleared that up. 8-)

LaFours
11-08-2007, 09:50 AM

I was reading that and thinking, There's no way he's getting 50 lbs. of tenderloin much less 120lbs. Glad you cleared that up. 8-)

It'd sure be nice though. A guy can dream, eh?

GoPackGo
11-08-2007, 09:52 AM

It'd sure be nice though. A guy can dream, eh?

Yeah, there is nothing better than fresh kill Venision tenderloin medallions seasoned and grilled during hunting season

GBRulz
11-08-2007, 12:58 PM

i'm with you, I don't understand the excitement of sitting in a tree stand for hours on end, freezing, either. I don't at all condone hunters...several members of my family hunt, too and I know they enjoy it. Just personally, you couldn't pay me to sit out in the woods and do that. I'll take a stick of venision anytime though :wink:

GBRulz
11-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Leaving in 10 minutes. Season starts at noon on Friday. We go out there a day early to hunt birds and get camped set up.

You shoot birds? Do you eat them?

Partial
11-08-2007, 01:11 PM
I really want to go bow hunting. I want to walk around and do it though. This sitting in the tree garbage seems lame. I would carry a sidearm in case of a cougar or bear shows up, though.

Deputy Nutz
11-08-2007, 01:55 PM
I really want to go bow hunting. I want to walk around and do it though. This sitting in the tree garbage seems lame. I would carry a sidearm in case of a cougar or bear shows up, though.

Good luck trying to still hunt with a bow. It can be done but you better start now and in ten years you might be good enough to sneak with in 20 yards of a deer. I would laugh at the bear or cougar comment, but I do believe there are cougar in Wisconsin. Black bear usually won't bother you unless you come between a mother and her cub.

Every year during gun season I spend about half my time still hunting and I have yet to shoot a deer, yes I have spooked about two dozen, and probably another 50 that I never even got to see. It is hard as shit.

GoPackGo
11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
I want to walk around and do it though. This sitting in the tree garbage seems lame.
Deer Hunting is all about putting yourself in a good position. If you are going to be walking around, it better be on the top of a ridge or hill, so you can get a shot off at something below you. Sitting in a tree stand that offers a great view of a heavily traveled deer trail is your best bet though.

LaFours
11-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I want to walk around and do it though. This sitting in the tree garbage seems lame.
Deer Hunting is all about putting yourself in a good position. If you are going to be walking around, it better be on the top of a ridge or hill, so you can get a shot off at something below you. Sitting in a tree stand that offers a great view of a heavily traveled deer trail is your best bet though.

...and a great opportunity to decompress from the everyday grind, catch up on some good reading, watch the blue jay's bully the red birds, get within 3 feet of an unsuspecting squirrel, and if you're lucky enough, succeed in your primary objective.

But honestly, there is so much more than sitting in a tree in the cold. You wear clothes to keep warm and the cold usually isn't an issue. having a vantage point is a great way to ehance your perspective on so much more than what's going on in the woods.

I don't expect non-hunters to understand, nor do I want to convince them that this sport is enjoyable. Hell, its hard enough to get access to hunting land the way it is, why would I want to make that endeavor even harder?

GBRulz
11-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Hell, its hard enough to get access to hunting land the way it is, why would I want to make that endeavor even harder?

I've wondered that...about the abundance of hunting land available. At least in WI. In the Eagle River area, my Dad and brother own about 500 acres of land. It's posted "no hunting" everywhere, but every year they see hunters in there. One even walked through my brothers backyard. I mean 25 feet away from someone's backdoor carrying a firearm. When my sister in law confronted them about it, they said they have every right to track their deer. It was obvious they were drunk and she said the last thing she is going to do is argue with a drunk with a gun in his hand. Shit like that pisses me off.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 04:18 PM
As far as this season goes, we're still in Archery until the 17th. I've already nailed down one doe (120 lbs of backstraps), but unfortunately I've nicked two as well.

I have a problem with bow hunting. It's too difficult to get a deadly shot, too much suffering for the animals. Even with a good shot, very often it is necessary to track-down the wounded animal. I imagine bow hunting is very challenging and satisfying, but is it worth it?

I know nature is just one damn thing after another. From Blue Jays attacking the nests of smaller birds, to killer bunnies shredding apart unsuspecting moose. But humans can consider the suffering of other creatures.

Does the issue of animal suffering take away some of the appeal of bow hunting?

GoPackGo
11-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Does the issue of animal suffering take away some of the appeal of bow hunting?

When hunting, tracking a wounded animal is always a possibility reguardless off the weapon used. The weapon used isn't as important as where you hit them with your bullet or arrow.

The problem you have should be with hunters that are poor shots and don't track deer they wound. (I don't know anyone like this but I'm sure they exist)

GoPackGo
11-08-2007, 04:29 PM
I have a problem with bow hunting. It's too difficult to get a deadly shot, too much suffering for the animals. Even with a good shot, very often it is necessary to track-down the wounded animal.

spoken like a person who has never shot or seen a bow and arrow with a three sided razorblade for an arrowhead.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 04:58 PM
spoken like a person who has never shot or seen a bow and arrow with a three sided razorblade for an arrowhead.

Come on. Nutz just talked about how tough it is to bow hunt. And Lafours said he nicked several deer before he killed one. I've talked with enough bow hunters to know that its often a pretty grim end for the animals.

Freak Out
11-08-2007, 05:10 PM
I am not a bow hunter but have hunted with many including as backup. 30 years ago when I was guiding part time I had to shoot 60-70 percent of the moose that a client shot with a bow, today that number is much lower...a friend has a bow that will put an arrow through a big bull moose. It's the idiots that cant shoot strait that are the problem now. I've had someone take a big brown bear with a bow, he was a damn good shot and we still had to track the pissed off bear for a mile. Thankfully it had bled out when we got to it.

GoPackGo
11-08-2007, 05:15 PM

Come on. Nutz just talked about how tough it is to bow hunt. And Lafours said he nicked several deer before he killed one. I've talked with enough bow hunters to know that its often a pretty grim end for the animals.

Nutz said it was hard to "Still" bow hunt. He was describing to Partial how hard it is to walk around on foot and sneak up on them or have them walk by you while you are standing still.
As far as why Lafour is nicking them.......He needs to practice more or wait for a better shot.

"I've talked with enough bow hunters to know that its often a pretty grim end for the animals."

Talk to some butchers about how they kill cows and chickens and get back to me.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Talk to some butchers about how they kill cows and chickens and get back to me.

The food industry is under a lot of pressure to treat animals humanely. It's a work in progress. For instance, they kill pigs with lethal injections. (My brother worked in a slaughter house back in the 70's and things were rough back then.)

Butchers don't kill animals by wounding them first. Lets have an honest discussion.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I've had someone take a big brown bear with a bow, he was a damn good shot and we still had to track the pissed off bear for a mile. Thankfully it had bled out when we got to it.

See, now this is sort-off a best case scenario. An excellent bow-hunter makes a good shot. But still the animal suffers a long time.

The honest answer from the hunter has to be, "I don't give a shit if the animal suffers." OK. Or maybe it does bother the hunter somewhat. I am just curious.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 05:57 PM
I was just thinking about American Indians. They worshipped the animals they killed. Thanked them for bringing them sustenance. There was respect for life there.

Killing for sport is different. I'm not against hunting. But bow hunting bothers me, it seems like there is no respect for the animal as another feeling creature. Head buried in sand.

Freak Out
11-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I was just thinking about American Indians. They worshipped the animals they killed. Thanked them for bringing them sustenance. There was respect for life there.

Killing for sport is different. I'm not against hunting. But bow hunting bothers me, it seems like there is no respect for the animal as another feeling creature. Head buried in sand.

I'm strictley a subsistence hunter these days.....even though I could afford to buy all my food. I love to be out in the wilds..and I love to eat wild game. I "get" why people bow hunt...I would never do it but I understand the "sporting" aspect of it. I believe in fair chase and killing them quick.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm strictley a subsistence hunter these days.....even though I could afford to buy all my food. I love to be out in the wilds..and I love to eat wild game. I "get" why people bow hunt...I would never do it but I understand the "sporting" aspect of it. I believe in fair chase and killing them quick.

I understand hunting, fishing. Its in our genes.

I used to trap, for god's sake. I collected pelts like Jeff Dahmer. It was just a Daniel Boone fantasy.

I don't see how it is possible to have "fair chase and killing them quick" with bow hunting. Well, I guess the chase part is more than fair.

Little Whiskey
11-08-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm a bow hunter. the reason i started was to be in the woods longer than the two weeks we get for rifle season. Now i love it because you get to see them in a more natural state. their not running spoked cause everyone and their brother is taking shots at them. You watch them much longer. I won't take a shot unless its within 25-30 yards.

every deer taken is going to suffer. unless you are shooting them in the head with a bazooka.....might be a little messy. Most deer don't die right after they are shot. if you wanted that you should tie them up, hold their head still and shoot them point blank. but i guess that wouldn't be hunting, that would be a slaughter house.

Deputy Nutz
11-08-2007, 10:37 PM

The funny thing is we have better equipment in terms of bow hunting than the Indians and most bow hunters are the most technically sound and most respectful of the animals they hunt.

Putting a razor sharp broad head in to the heart and lungs will kill a deer just as fast as .30 caliber bullet. The only difference is the impact of the bullet, the shock will knock the deer down where it will bleed out. The arrow will do the same damage but it of course doesn't have the same impact as an object traveling 2800 feet per second, the deer will bleed out in about the same time but it will be running instead of just laying there. Whats the difference?

Ethical bow hunters will never take a suspect shot, will hopefully wait until the deer is broadside and less than 35 yards away. Most won't shoot a deer that is more than 25 yards away. I can't speak for all hunters or bow hunters, but taking a less than ethical shot on an animal is questionable at best.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Would hunting be fun if you went out in the woods with paint ball guns?
If you look at Harvey's description of why hunting is so enjoyable, not much changes.

I know it is different to JUST go out in nature to explore and observe, or hunt with a camera. There is some primal satisfaction in actually killing for food.

Maybe in 100 years hunting will be done with something like paint ball guns. I say that because the wilderness areas seem to be shrinking, not because there are too many hunters.

And attitudes towards animals are continually changing. A hundred years ago, the buffalo herds got slaughtered by people shooting at them from trains.

Little Whiskey
11-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Would hunting be fun if you went out in the woods with paint ball guns?

I haven't aquired the taste for paint.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2007, 07:33 PM
ya, paintball hunting does seem a little ridiculous.

but real hunting is ridiculous too. it's a bit like dressing-up and pretending to be Daniel Boone, or playing cowboys and Indians. Not unlike those Renissaince Fairs, where people act-out the ways of hundreds of years ago.

But I think hunting is a good thing, it reconnects people to the earth, reminds us we are part of nature. Killing for food is nature. I'm for anything that gets people out in the woods.

Joemailman
11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Der it is boys. Da turdy point buck.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/466740.JPG

Deputy Nutz
11-09-2007, 10:59 PM
ya, paintball hunting does seem a little ridiculous.

but real hunting is ridiculous too. it's a bit like dressing-up and pretending to be Daniel Boone, or playing cowboys and Indians. Not unlike those Renissaince Fairs, where people act-out the ways of hundreds of years ago.

But I think hunting is a good thing, it reconnects people to the earth, reminds us we are part of nature. Killing for food is nature. I'm for anything that gets people out in the woods.

Some people may think throwing an oblong ball made of dead cow skin is a bit ridiculous as well, but I enjoy it.

Why is it ridiculous to kill a deer or any animal when you eat there sustenance that their body has given for you? It is no different than the Indians for me, granted for some it is a trophy and that is it, which is sad.

I enjoy the fact that I can enjoy venison knowing exactly what it wasliving on because I emptied its stomach while gutting it, I know that I am eating the exact animal, instead of a package of ground beef that was most likely made from dozens if not hundreds, maybe thousands of different cows.

I could list a hundred different reasons why I hunt, but I don't have to ever buy johnsonville brats or sausages again if I don't want to, that is reason enough.

MadtownPacker
11-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Der it is boys. Da turdy point buck.
What qualifies it as "30" point? Something with the antlers right?

I have never hunted. I did go once with some of my father's family in Mexico. I don't think they shot anything but it was fun. I can understand those who mentioned the bonding and tradition aspects of hunting. It is like a party.

As long as you eat most of what you kill I think there is nothing wrong with hunting. Even if you reach into your fridge to eat a ham sandwich something still died so there is no difference.

I cant believe you guys are buying Harlan's shit. I remember him IMing to me once "I can't eat enough pork, I love eating pork!". The way it came off was in a sick, twisted kind of way.
Yeah he really gives a fuck about animals all right. As long as they are not the ones he is gonna eat.

GBRulz
11-10-2007, 09:33 AM
my blue friend......You argue with people that Vick was basically being over punished for his dog fighting and abuse charges, yet you are worried about bow hunting being inhumane??

So, how big of a spoon do you need to keep stirring the pot?

Harlan Huckleby
11-10-2007, 09:54 AM
my blue friend......You argue with people that Vick was basically being over punished for his dog fighting and abuse charges, yet you are worried about bow hunting being inhumane??

Dog fighting and hunting both involve suffering of animals for the entertainment of humans. This is indisputable.

When you look at how severe Vick's crime is, I think you have to weigh how society treats animals. It is hypocritical to call for a long prison sentence for dog fighting, and then say bow hunting is fair sport. Its not a black-and-white issue, I thought sending Vick to prison for a year was plenty.

I am for hunters rights. But I question the pleasure of a hunting technique that is not so deadly, too much unnecessary suffering. Maybe some bow hunters are very good at a quick kill, but I'm not convinced that this is typical.

Harlan Huckleby
11-10-2007, 10:04 AM
I have never hunted. I did go once with some of my father's family in Mexico. I don't think they shot anything but it was fun.

I think paint ball hunting along the border could be a lot of fun.

As long as you eat most of what you kill I think there is nothing wrong with hunting.

I haven't come down on hunting. I laugh at it a little bit - guys out in the woods pretending to be Davey Crockett - but I understand it. I did lots of hunting, fishing and even trapping back in Pennsylvania, where the copperhead snakes swam with me in my swimming hole. I got woods cred. I pretty much grew up in the woods.

Little Whiskey
11-10-2007, 12:10 PM

yep, count the antler points.

packinpatland
11-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Who says deer are scarce??????? :shock:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/11/10/reaves.ky.runner.struck.deer.wave

MJZiggy
11-10-2007, 12:46 PM
These guys would have been drooling over the young buck I almost hit the other day...

Harlan Huckleby
11-10-2007, 12:48 PM
These guys would have been drooling over the young buck I almost hit the other day...

are you mixing it up with a young buck?

MJZiggy
11-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Joemailman
11-10-2007, 05:05 PM

I think they have to be an inch long to count as a point.

GBRulz
11-10-2007, 06:02 PM

awww, to have a point and not being able to count it because it's less than an inch long must suck for you, eh? :twisted: (that is for your GC comment, btw)

packinpatland
11-10-2007, 06:04 PM

Leave it to the guys to think 'inches' count. :roll:

Joemailman
11-10-2007, 07:43 PM

Right now should be the peak of the rut in Wisconsin. Not sure about where Zig lives now.

Deputy Nutz
11-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I have never hunted. I did go once with some of my father's family in Mexico. I don't think they shot anything but it was fun.

I think paint ball hunting along the border could be a lot of fun.

As long as you eat most of what you kill I think there is nothing wrong with hunting.

I haven't come down on hunting. I laugh at it a little bit - guys out in the woods pretending to be Davey Crockett - but I understand it. I did lots of hunting, fishing and even trapping back in Pennsylvania, where the copperhead snakes swam with me in my swimming hole. I got woods cred. I pretty much grew up in the woods.

You understand but yet you make fun. We all explain why we hunt and explain things to you but you refuse to change your views, and now you go a head compare the tortured dogs in the Mike Vick situation to that of deer taken with an arrow. If you want to eat meat, and by god I am sure you do, the animal suffers at some point.

You like beef? Chicken? Pork? Some say their whole lives are torture due to the living conditions in these mass production farms.

Again Harlan makes an impact with his lovely pot stirring effects, thanks.

Jimx29
11-10-2007, 10:25 PM
alright alright.........I know it's not common for one man to give away his prized hunting grounds site, but when ya got it, ya really got it............

http://i7.tinypic.com/6z6gd4y.jpg

Joemailman
11-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Always a good idea to set up near a bedding area.

Harlan Huckleby
11-10-2007, 11:00 PM
You understand but yet you make fun.

Yes. I see ridiculousness in many things. Maybe you think my drumming circle out in the woods is funny. That doesn't mean you are opposed to it, does it. I'm surprised you can't step back and see hunting from a humorous angle.

We all explain why we hunt and explain things to you but you refuse to change your views

I accept what you say about responsible bow hunting. Maybe you are aces in the woods. I have a hard time believing that most bow hunters are able to get clean shots. I think a lot of times the animal is left wounded, as was the case in several of the bow hunting stories in this thread.
You are having trouble accepting that somebody could have mixed feelings about hunting.

and now you go a head compare the tortured dogs in the Mike Vick situation to that of deer taken with an arrow.

I did not bring dog fighting into the discussion, that was GBRulz.

Both dog fighting and hunting involve suffering of animals for sporting pleasure. How can you deny this obvious commonality? Better to deal with reality than stick head in sand. And of course there are important differences too, which is why I am for sending dogfighters to prison, and only want to rough-up bow hunters a little with some hard questions.

If you want to eat meat, and by god I am sure you do, the animal suffers at some point.

Ya, but the amount of suffering varies a lot. Slaughter houses can kill animals very quickly and efficiently. I must have said 5 times now I'm not against hunting. Just expressing where I have misgivings.

You keep trying to argue with me as if I am simply anti-hunting, because that is an easy argument that you already know how to make. Or you dismiss me as a trouble maker. Just ways of avoiding uncomfortable questions. Although you did give some thoughtful answers before. Guess you had this little conniption fit when I wasn't completely convinced.

MadtownPacker
11-11-2007, 10:50 AM
When you think about it an animal that was hunted had a good life until the moment a bullet or arrow pierced its body. It was able to run free, breed and do whatever animals do.

A slaughter house animal was born to die and kept contained in some form or another. It would then be removed from where it grew up, taken to a strange place where it likely hears suffering before it meets its fate.

Giving the choice I would prefer to to live free. Likely an animal would feel the same way.

So what do you got to say about that bitchass Harlan?

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2007, 12:41 PM
hunting is a part of nature, I am pro-hunting.

but we also are smarter than animals, and can choose to minimize suffering because we have compassion. I'd like to see people hunt with high powered rifles with lazer guided scopes. Somebody earlier mentioned bazookas - maybe a bazooka season too.

HarveyWallbangers
11-11-2007, 09:35 PM
We got back early this evening. We filled out. Had a great time, as usual. Got on my Mom's PC and had to visit this site. I was able to listen to the second half of the game on the Packers Radio Network out of Bismarck.

Freak Out
11-11-2007, 10:01 PM
alright alright.........I know it's not common for one man to give away his prized hunting grounds site, but when ya got it, ya really got it............

Thats not fair. A trampoline is an illegal attractant.

Deputy Nutz
11-12-2007, 09:32 AM
We got back early this evening. We filled out. Had a great time, as usual. Got on my Mom's PC and had to visit this site. I was able to listen to the second half of the game on the Packers Radio Network out of Bismarck.

So you get a buck or what?

the_idle_threat
11-12-2007, 09:48 AM

Wouldn't want to be jumping on that trampoline, or fall down on my ass on that trampoline ... :shock: :lol:

LaFours
11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I've had someone take a big brown bear with a bow, he was a damn good shot and we still had to track the pissed off bear for a mile. Thankfully it had bled out when we got to it.

See, now this is sort-off a best case scenario. An excellent bow-hunter makes a good shot. But still the animal suffers a long time.

The honest answer from the hunter has to be, "I don't give a shit if the animal suffers." OK. Or maybe it does bother the hunter somewhat. I am just curious.

I don't think you're going to find the "non-remourseful" attitude you're looking for here. Sure I feel bad when I "nick" an animal that I am unable to locate. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit remorseful even after a successful venture. But at the end of the day, I have to ask myself if what I have accomplished has been done for the right reasons. Since I know that the meat will be used in a number of ways (i.e. to feed my family, to feed those with needs, etc.), I can take solace in what I am doing.

Yes, I love the hunting aspect, but I'm not indifferent or ignoring what is actually taking place.

As far as bow hunting being unfair to the animals, most of my misses are because the deer jumps when the arrow is released. You can shoot until your hands are blistered and all it takes is one duck or dodge by the deer and all that practice is for naught.

Additionally, I just put two more in the freezer yesterday...with my bow.

Deputy Nutz
11-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I guess deer don't suffer when they get smacked by a Ford Festiva and they lay there with a broken back and is trying to pull itself forward with its mangled front legs. No suffering there, but I guess it is not sport, but regardless one more suffering deer.

Harlan Huckleby
11-12-2007, 10:38 AM
As far as bow hunting being unfair to the animals, most of my misses are because the deer jumps when the arrow is released. You can shoot until your hands are blistered and all it takes is one duck or dodge by the deer and all that practice is for naught.

well ya, I can easily imagine this is how it works.

I used to (attempt) to hunt pheasant with a bow back when I was a kid. I guess "hunt" is wrong word, more like "poach", since I wasn't so mindful of niceties like seasons and licenses. It was in area of Pennsylvania thick with pheasants. Those birds were in little danger, except on extremely rare occasion when one might have the bad luck to fly into an arrow.

Garrison Keillor talked about hunting during his radio show this weekend. He made point that some think hunting is cruel, but the greatest danger to deer are cars, and its got to be better to take a bullet between the eyes than get smacked on highway.

IF it really were bullets between the eyes, that would be great. I don't think hunting should be sporting, it should be deadly. Sporting just means the animals are likely to get wounded.

I would think it would be fun enough to go out in the woods with a high powered rifle. Why not lazer-guided scopes that make accurate shots easy? Maybe a little less fun and challenging, but better on balance.

Attitudes toward hunting have changed drastically in the last 50 years. It used to be common for rich people and celebrities to go "big game hunting" in Africa. Don't hear about that much anymore.

Harlan Huckleby
11-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I guess deer don't suffer when they get smacked by a Ford Festiva and they lay there with a broken back and is trying to pull itself forward with its mangled front legs. No suffering there, but I guess it is not sport, but regardless one more suffering deer.

Car accidents are something we can't control, even though we try.

edit: i get it, you are saying that hunting prevents car accidents by reducing deer population. OK. I am for hunting. Just have a problem with the near misses.

GBRulz
11-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Good luck all of you hunters heading out tomorrow... Be safe.

Freak Out
11-16-2007, 07:23 PM

Deer season opens in Wisconsin?

MadtownPacker
11-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Deer season opens in Wisconsin?I just want to know when the hell it is moose season. You owe me some.

Freak Out
11-16-2007, 08:49 PM

Deer season opens in Wisconsin?I just want to know when the hell it is moose season. You owe me some.

September....but I've had three in my yard/neighborhood all week pruning. Bastards.

You know....you might pass for Alaskan native....they can hunt year round in some areas. :lol:

Deputy Nutz
11-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Shot a little bitty doe on Sunday.

Had to get it done due to Wisconsin's lovely Earn a Buck program, fucking communist. My brother inlaw had to pass up a beauty 8 pointer.

Freak Out
11-20-2007, 09:22 AM

Had to get it done due to Wisconsin's lovely Earn a Buck program, fucking communist. My brother inlaw had to pass up a beauty 8 pointer.

Earn a buck? I thought you folks had a "deer problem"?

GBRulz
11-20-2007, 09:37 AM
we do, Freak. Which is why they want to eliminate does I guess. No does = no bambi's

LaFours
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM

I kind of like the idea of the earn-a-buck program. We don't use it here in Indiana, but here is why I think we should implement it in some form or fashion:

I hunt next to a beautiful nature preserve that for decades, was extremely protected (you couldn't take rocks, plants or sticks off the place let alone animals that you harvested on the property). In the past 5 years, they decided our deer population was too big and they opened the park up to hunting (by selected applications only) for two, two-day hunts.

Now the essence of these hunts was to reduce the herd size, not let a bunch of guys come in and "shop" for huge bucks and pass on all the scrawny does. So I know it sounds selfish, but I'd like for these guys to have to earn their buck on these hunts by taking out a doe first. That way, when the wallhanger I've been hunting passes by them on the first day, they have to pass him up and stick to the original intention of the hunt...reduce the herd first.

Freak Out
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
How many doe's can one buck impregnate? I thought whitetails gathered a harem like elk? I know a dominant bull moose will spend two months running around putting the wood to as many cows as will let them. I'm a meat hunter so doe's are fine with me....of course yearling calves are as well. :lol:

Freak Out
11-20-2007, 10:51 AM
we do, Freak. Which is why they want to eliminate does I guess. No does = no bambi's

Sounds like you need some more predators.

MJZiggy
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Isn't that what the hunters are?

Deputy Nutz
11-20-2007, 12:34 PM

Coyotes are getting up their numbers again, and I think the wolf population is coming back up North, they will slowly trickle down in about twenty years, but right now outside of Coyotes, the deer have no real predator.

Earn a Buck is ridiculous when they change the damn guidelines every year, keep in one way for 3 years but don't confuse hunters with flip flopping every year.

Freak Out
11-20-2007, 02:34 PM

Isn't that what the hunters are?

Yes...humans are to a certain extent. But a true predator hunts year round for survival. Wolf, bear, wolverine, big cat.....

Little Whiskey
11-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Shot my buck on opening morning. four pointer year and 1/2 old. another guy in camp got a spike and the other a doe. all opening morning. hunted two more full days and didn't see a thing.

pulled up on my buck and pulled the trigger but no bang! damn shell didn't fire. had to rack in a second shell and he still hung around.

Wisconsin season opens the saturday before thanksgiving, right?

the truck befor us at the DNR check stations had a doe that was 9 yrs old! He said that a couple years back he shot a 14 yr old doe.

GBRulz
11-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Coyotes are getting up their numbers again, and I think the wolf population is coming back up North, they will slowly trickle down in about twenty years, but right now outside of Coyotes, the deer have no real predator.

I have heard that wolf normally don't occupy the same territories as coyotes, is this true?

You aren't kidding about the Coyote population though. I was out riding my 4 wheeler on the land that my family has near Eagle River and I'm tearing along and suddenly I see this "dog" standing in the middle of the trail...I'm like "WTF is a dog doing out here?"...and then the "dog" actually started coming towards me and when I realized what it was, I turned the F around and got out of there. Turns out there is a sand pit in the area and many coyotes have their dens built into the side of the hill. This was in spring, the time when the pups are born. So, it was Mama being protectful.

My brothers dogs have also been chased by the coyotes in the area. The DNR has been informed of the increasing population in the area, but I don't think there is anything they can really do. They are coming closer and closer to the houses though. Only a matter of time before someone gets attacked.

The bear population up there is also getting out of control. My parents have to take in their bird feeders each night because of this.

My brother has seen 4 wolf this year....before this year, he's never seen any.

I'll take the city life - ty.

Little Whiskey
11-21-2007, 12:26 AM
GB, i think your mixing the two up a bit. I cannot imagine a coyotes attacking you. unless they are just trying to protect themselves. I'd be a bit careful if you've got small or gimping dogs. They would make an easy meal. They don't usually take a heathy deer down. usually the sick or weak. Wolf on the other hand will. They estimate that an average wolf will take between 30-50 deer a year.

LaFours
11-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Just got back from a successful Thanksgiving romp into the wilderness. My brother bagged a 10-point and my brother-in-law bagged a huge doe.

Harlan Huckleby
11-23-2007, 11:34 AM
They estimate that an average wolf will take between 30-50 deer a year.

That's a lot of Venison steaks! Wolves usually look kinda scraggly, they must have high metabolisms, or do a lot of cardio.

oregonpackfan
11-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Coyotes have adapted remarkably well in the Portland Metro area. They present a "problem" for owners of cats and small dogs whose owners let them outside. The pets make easy prey for the wily and quick coyotes.

Pet owners who want game wardens to eradicate the "Coyote problem" are reminded that it is people who have invaded their habitat. It is not coyotes who have invaded human's habitat.

Personally, I have had half a dozen episodes the past few years where I have seen coyotes.

It is extremely rare where a coyote will attack a human. They generally run away when they come withing sight of a person.

Harlan Huckleby
11-23-2007, 12:05 PM
The pets make easy prey for the wily and quick coyotes.

do the wily coyotes drop rocks on their heads from great heights, or tie dynamite to them?

MJZiggy
11-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Never seen a coyote outside a zoo, but I have run across a few foxes, and the ones that aren't rabid are pretty cute.

Deputy Nutz
11-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Just got back last night from an early morning hunt on thanksgiving and shot a 6 pointer. It was a year and a half deer with a really big body, I saw antlers, and quickly took my eyes off them and concentrated on the body. It was a long body deer so I thought it was older. Probably would have passed if I had more time to glass the deer. Well meat in the freezer, and if I didn't shoot it, someone else would have regardless of age. I am going to ask my neighbors about going to QDM, I doubt it will go over well.

BallHawk
11-24-2007, 08:11 PM
The bear population up there is also getting out of control. My parents have to take in their bird feeders each night because of this.

Speaking of Bears.....

Per JSO

Deer hunter attacked by black bear

Birchwood - A deer hunter in northwestern Wisconsin is recovering after being jumped by a black bear.

Jim Zemaitis, 40, said the bear attacked when he was on a deer drive with his hunting group Thursday in Nice Lake Marsh near Birchwood.

At first he said he just saw a black spot and thought it was a burned stump, but soon learned it wasn't.

"I saw teeth and then it reared up on its hind legs, charged me and I rolled over into a ball, started screaming," he said.

He put his hands over his head.

"Pretty soon I felt the bear on me and then chomp, chomp," he said.

His cousin Rick Zemaitis said he heard his screams and found his cousin with a bear on his back.

Rick Zemaitis said he was able to scare away the bear.

"I've been bitten by dogs but it feels more like a clamping instead of a biting," Jim Zemaitis said.

He suffered puncture wounds, three stitches and a lot of bruises.

According to the state Department of Natural Resources Web site, adult male bears can weigh up to 500 pounds and females up to 450 pounds.

Around 11,000 black bears live in mostly the northern part of the state.

Deputy Nutz
11-24-2007, 08:48 PM

I have heard that wolf normally don't occupy the same territories as coyotes, is this true?

You aren't kidding about the Coyote population though. I was out riding my 4 wheeler on the land that my family has near Eagle River and I'm tearing along and suddenly I see this "dog" standing in the middle of the trail...I'm like "WTF is a dog doing out here?"...and then the "dog" actually started coming towards me and when I realized what it was, I turned the F around and got out of there. Turns out there is a sand pit in the area and many coyotes have their dens built into the side of the hill. This was in spring, the time when the pups are born. So, it was Mama being protectful.

My brothers dogs have also been chased by the coyotes in the area. The DNR has been informed of the increasing population in the area, but I don't think there is anything they can really do. They are coming closer and closer to the houses though. Only a matter of time before someone gets attacked.

My brother has seen 4 wolf this year....before this year, he's never seen any.

I'll take the city life - ty.

Here is watch you do when you see a coyote, Shoot the shit out of it!

GBRulz
11-24-2007, 10:21 PM

Speaking of Bears.....

Per JSO

Deer hunter attacked by black bear

Birchwood - A deer hunter in northwestern Wisconsin is recovering after being jumped by a black bear.

Jim Zemaitis, 40, said the bear attacked when he was on a deer drive with his hunting group Thursday in Nice Lake Marsh near Birchwood.

At first he said he just saw a black spot and thought it was a burned stump, but soon learned it wasn't.

"I saw teeth and then it reared up on its hind legs, charged me and I rolled over into a ball, started screaming," he said.

He put his hands over his head.

"Pretty soon I felt the bear on me and then chomp, chomp," he said.

His cousin Rick Zemaitis said he heard his screams and found his cousin with a bear on his back.

Rick Zemaitis said he was able to scare away the bear.

"I've been bitten by dogs but it feels more like a clamping instead of a biting," Jim Zemaitis said.

He suffered puncture wounds, three stitches and a lot of bruises.

According to the state Department of Natural Resources Web site, adult male bears can weigh up to 500 pounds and females up to 450 pounds.

Around 11,000 black bears live in mostly the northern part of the state.

Dayum. I thought Bears would be hibernating by now?

GBRulz
11-24-2007, 10:25 PM
GB, i think your mixing the two up a bit. I cannot imagine a coyotes attacking you. unless they are just trying to protect themselves. I'd be a bit careful if you've got small or gimping dogs. They would make an easy meal. They don't usually take a heathy deer down. usually the sick or weak. Wolf on the other hand will. They estimate that an average wolf will take between 30-50 deer a year.

I'm sure anything will attack if they are trying to protect their young. Coyotes have chased my nieces who were out in this same field. They have chased their dogs and one did start coming towards me while I was on my 4 wheeler. My brother has lived in this area for 20+ years and never has had problem with coyotes up until the past year or so.

HarveyWallbangers
11-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Interesting. I've never known coyotes to get close to humans. They keep their distance. It's VERY rare for a coyote to attack a human, and I'd have to believe there were special circumstances.

BallHawk
11-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Found this snippet on Coyote attacks.........

Coyote attacks on humans have increased within the past 5 years in California. Data from USDA Wildlife Services, the California Department of Fish & Game, and other sources show that while 41 attacks occurred during the period of 1988-1997, 48 attacks were verified from 1998 through 2003. The majority of these incidents occurred in Southern California near the suburban-wildland interface.

Due to an absence of harassment by residents, urban coyotes lose their natural fear of humans, which is further worsened by people intentionally feeding coyotes. In such situations, some coyotes begin to act aggressively toward humans, chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.

There is currently only one recorded fatal attack on a human. In 1981 in Glendale, California, a coyote attacked a toddler, who despite being rescued by her father, died in surgery due to blood loss and a broken neck.