PDA

View Full Version : Kampy....I admit it...

Tarlam!
11-01-2007, 05:03 PM
OK, I am coming clean: I have a man crush on our LDE!

Go ahead and sue me, but this guy is holding our D together, Banett is the mouth, but AK is the brains...

RashanGary
11-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Best player on the team. Maybe the best DE in the game right now.

oregonpackfan
11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Consistency is one of Kampman's many qualities which stands out.

Maxie the Taxi
11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
He reminds me of Henry Jordan. He should be playing tackle.

FritzDontBlitz
11-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Kampmann is so fun to watch with that nonstop motor of his. Watching him chase down the WR on that botched option pass was amazing: he almost tackled the guy twice before he finally nailed him for a 3 yard loss.

Merlin
11-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Kampman is what a football player should be IMO. Barnett has always been a trash talker but this year he is finally getting the respect that he deserves. Urlacher looks horrible this season but when it's all said and done, they will have similar stats, the difference is that Barnett has finally been hyped a bit. Their stats have been similar since Barnett came into the league.

Kampman can never get enough praise. Teams are doing everything to stop they guy. He frequently gets held and double teamed. On passing downs, that is allowing KGB to roam free and that is awesome.

rpiotr01
11-01-2007, 06:15 PM
He reminds me of Henry Jordan. He should be playing tackle.

I still think you maximize his talents keeping him outside, and keeping either jenkins or williams inside, with the other outside.

MJZiggy
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Flies way low under the radar too. Not after any glamour...

RashanGary
11-01-2007, 06:19 PM
He frequently gets held and double teamed. .

He gets held all of the time. They have to hold him to prevent him from getting 3 sacks every game.

Freak Out
11-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I watched him for a long Denver series and he was held every play it seemed like...but that's the NFL.

FritzDontBlitz
11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Kampman is what a football player should be IMO. Barnett has always been a trash talker but this year he is finally getting the respect that he deserves. Urlacher looks horrible this season but when it's all said and done, they will have similar stats, the difference is that Barnett has finally been hyped a bit. Their stats have been similar since Barnett came into the league.

Kampman can never get enough praise. Teams are doing everything to stop they guy. He frequently gets held and double teamed. On passing downs, that is allowing KGB to roam free and that is awesome.

Urlacher has serious back issues and the prognosis is not very good: a couple more seasons at most. At any rate, his production is way down this year.

Packers4Ever
11-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Gee Tarlam, you sure know how to pick 'em ! :lol:

:eyes:

b bulldog
11-01-2007, 08:00 PM
You wAnt to show a kid a football player, show the kid a picture of AK.

packinpatland
11-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Defensive end AARON KAMPMAN of the Green Bay Packers, running back BRANDON JACOBS of the New York Giants, and kicker DAVID AKERS of the Philadelphia Eagles are the NFC Defensive, Offensive, and Special Teams Players of the Month for October, the NFL announced today.

WAY TO GO KAMPMAN!!!!!

KYPack
11-01-2007, 08:31 PM
What everybody said.

I was thinking of starting a thread like this mesself.

He's ain't nothin' but a stud. Love this guys motor, heart, and field savvy.

When he signed that offer sheet from the Vikes a few years ago, some idiot posted that he had given up on Kampman because he had no heart. I know most fans don't understand the difference between the business and the game, but I wasted quite a few keystrokes flaming that dumb bastard.

Green Bud Packer
11-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Whoa. If you guys are talking 3some I'm out the door.

Kampman is damn good and my congrats, he deserved it.

Rastak
11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
What everybody said.

I was thinking of starting a thread like this mesself.

He's ain't nothin' but a stud. Love this guys motor, heart, and field savvy.

When he signed that offer sheet from the Vikes a few years ago, some idiot posted that he had given up on Kampman because he had no heart. I know most fans don't understand the difference between the business and the game, but I wasted quite a few keystrokes flaming that dumb bastard.

The general concensus was the Vikes were screwing around with the Packers to make them pay more. I never heard anything like that in Minnesota, they wanted him.

swede
11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't recall anyone saying Kampy had no heart back in that RFA dealio with the Vikes.

I do recall an entire thread on JSO devoted to defining Kampmann as a player.

NO ONE was calling him great. EVERYONE wanted him back however.

The almost unanimous consensus was that he was a slightly above average talent with a superior character that was an asset to the team.

I think now he can be defined as a clearly above average talent with excellent football intelligence and an unparalleled work ethic.

And...I'll bet those strong hands could really rub some fragrant oil deep into the tired muscles of a working man's sore trapezius.

MJZiggy
11-01-2007, 09:40 PM
And...I'll bet those strong hands could really rub some fragrant oil deep into the tired muscles of a working man's sore trapezius.

Or accidentally kill you with a Vulcan Death Grip.

swede
11-01-2007, 09:46 PM
You think Spock would have played LB or safety?

MJZiggy
11-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Corner.

FritzDontBlitz
11-01-2007, 10:18 PM

I will be sleeping with my back to the wall after reading that....

HarveyWallbangers
11-01-2007, 10:56 PM
I still think you maximize his talents keeping him outside, and keeping either jenkins or williams inside, with the other outside.

Agreed.

HarveyWallbangers
11-01-2007, 10:56 PM
The general concensus was the Vikes were screwing around with the Packers to make them pay more. I never heard anything like that in Minnesota, they wanted him.

They could and should have offered him more. They didn't even really make Green Bay think about not matching the offer.

the_idle_threat
11-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Kampmann is so fun to watch with that nonstop motor of his. Watching him chase down the WR on that botched option pass was amazing: he almost tackled the guy twice before he finally nailed him for a 3 yard loss.

That was a fun replay. It reminded me of the old commercial from about ten years back where the defensive guy was chasing a chicken (clad in a little Favre jersey) 'round the barnyard trying to tackle it. I forget who the defensive player was ... was it Strahan? Or maybe John Randle?

MadtownPacker
11-02-2007, 02:07 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7125729564269367466&q=favre+chicken&hl=en

Thats the chicken a guy at jso use to have huh?

the_idle_threat
11-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Yes ... I do remember it being an avatar at JSO.

Guiness
11-02-2007, 03:53 AM
BF4MVP used that avatar, IIRC.

The Leaper
11-02-2007, 09:31 AM
I think now he can be defined as a clearly above average talent with excellent football intelligence and an unparalleled work ethic.

I'm not sure he has anything more than average talent. He's not particularly big. He's not particularly fast. He's not particularly strong. He's not much better than average in any of those categories.

He just WORKS harder than anyone else, and he's also SMARTER than just about anyone else in terms of both his approach and instincts. He's like John Stockton in basketball. You look at him and wonder how the hell he does it...but he does it.

swede
11-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't buy that he's average anymore.

He's strong.
He's fast.
He's quick.

I'd agree with anything positive you'd say about his work ethic and character.

But I think his physical skills have also improved, through hard work, to a point where he's probably better than average.

RashanGary
11-02-2007, 11:13 AM
JSO had an artical (by McGinn) where the Packer scouts called him the 2nd most physically gifted DE in that draft. He has very good physical skills if you go by the scouts opinions.

The Leaper
11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
The thing I see with Kampman is that he ISN'T lacking in something. That is what makes him such a great DE. He might be average in physical talent, but he isn't below average in anything.

Don't give me this crap that Kampman is quick or fast. Compared to most DEs in the league, I'm sure Kampman's physical talent in that regard is not superior. I'm not saying he's a stick in the mud...but he's not Dwight Freeney, people. He isn't strong like a Reggie White either, although he's not a wimp either.

My point is that most DEs in today's game have a major drawback. You might have a Freeney or KGB with crazy speed, but they lack the size and strength to stand up to the run. You might have a Vonnie Holliday type who is exceptionally strong, but doesn't have the speed or quickness to beat his man very often.

Kampman isn't lacking in anything. He has enough to get by in terms of physical talent, and he leverages it with his work ethic and intelligence...which is something very few guys have in spades. Most of his sacks this year have not come because he blew past his guy and pulled down the QB in 3 seconds. That comes from sheer talent. The bulk of his sacks come from getting initially held up (either legal or otherwise) and having the determination and effort to stick with it. That comes from work and determination.

LL2
11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Kampman has a lot of class and is a leader by example on the field and off. TT should give the guy a great contract extension.

swede
11-02-2007, 12:23 PM
The thing I see with Kampman is that he ISN'T lacking in something. That is what makes him such a great DE. He might be average in physical talent, but he isn't below average in anything.

Don't give me this crap that Kampman is quick or fast. Compared to most DEs in the league, I'm sure Kampman's physical talent in that regard is not superior. I'm not saying he's a stick in the mud...but he's not Dwight Freeney, people. He isn't strong like a Reggie White either, although he's not a wimp either.

My point is that most DEs in today's game have a major drawback. You might have a Freeney or KGB with crazy speed, but they lack the size and strength to stand up to the run. You might have a Vonnie Holliday type who is exceptionally strong, but doesn't have the speed or quickness to beat his man very often.

Kampman isn't lacking in anything. He has enough to get by in terms of physical talent, and he leverages it with his work ethic and intelligence...which is something very few guys have in spades. Most of his sacks this year have not come because he blew past his guy and pulled down the QB in 3 seconds. That comes from sheer talent. The bulk of his sacks come from getting initially held up (either legal or otherwise) and having the determination and effort to stick with it. That comes from work and determination.

I'm guessing the right tackles in the league think he's quick.

I never said he's in the league of a speed rusher such as Feeney. I wouldn't evven put KGB in that territory and he IS a speed rusher.

I think it's silly to say he gets sacks just because he's a hard worker.

Kampann plays the tackles. He has a complete set of moves, and like a good pitcher, uses one move to set up the next. After a couple of speed rushes to the outside Kampy will then juke outside and step back in, bullrushing the inside shoulder of the tackle on a straight line to the QB. That won't work if you're not quicker than a typical big end. Tactics like this demonstrate the skill and polish of a professional who really knows his business.

I certainly agree that the fact that Kampann brings it down after down is an example of how hard he works during a game. No sane person could dispute how hard he works. I simply think that his intelligence and physical gifts should not be underrated in our quest to crown him Joe Hardworker.

I think we'd both agree that we're glad Kampann is our guy instead of somebody ele's.

Partial
11-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Agreed with Swede.

The Leaper
11-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm guessing the right tackles in the league think he's quick.

I would think most DEs are quicker than OTs, so most OTs probably think the guy across from them is quick. That doesn't mean Kampman is significantly quicker than the average DE.

I never said he's in the league of a speed rusher such as Feeney. I wouldn't evven put KGB in that territory and he IS a speed rusher.

So if Kampman isn't in KGB's territory, who isn't in Freeney's category...doesn't that make it more likely that Kampman isn't significantly above average in terms of speed?

I think it's silly to say he gets sacks just because he's a hard worker.

Why is that silly? Go read about Lombardi and his philosophy on how the will to work and prepare far exceeds physical talent alone. I'm not trying to claim Kampman isn't any good. Why can't he be great WITHOUT great physical talent? Not everyone is Brett Favre, which is what makes the league great and the draft speculation fun to follow.

Kampann plays the tackles. He has a complete set of moves, and like a good pitcher, uses one move to set up the next.

Again, that speaks to his intelligence and work ethic...not that he is above average in terms of physical talent. I'm not suggesting Kampman doesn't know his business. In effect, that is precisely why Kampman is successful. He realizes he DOESN'T have the physical talent to rely on just 2 or 3 moves, so he's worked at having a full arsenal and knowing how to use all of them together effectively.

I think we'd both agree that we're glad Kampann is our guy instead of somebody ele's.

He's one of the 5 best DEs in the game right now IMO...regardless of how good his physical talent is.

swede
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
He's one of the 5 best DEs in the game right now IMO...regardless of how good his physical talent is.

I'll agree.

As I think about it, I will concede that Kampy might possess merely average strength (whatever that may be among defensive ends) and still produce at the elite level he has risen to because he is such a good techinician and possesses that great "motor". Leverage is more about technique than it is strength anyway.

I still think he must have better than average quickness in order to a) employ the tactics he uses to get opposing tackles off-balance and b) show up in unexpected places in the backfield or out wide making plays.

The Leaper
11-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I still think he must have better than average quickness in order to a) employ the tactics he uses to get opposing tackles off-balance and b) show up in unexpected places in the backfield or out wide making plays.

Perhaps.

Some of that "quickness" though I think comes from the fact that he has numerous moves and keeps the OT guessing at where he is going to go. So, he looks quicker than he actually is because the OTs can't anticipate where he may be going like they can with a guy like KGB.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2007, 01:50 PM
According to an article in the Press Gazette today, Kampman ran a 4.65 at his campus workout. I suspect he's always had a lot more athleticism than people have given him credit for. A lot of his pass rushing skills come from his athleticism (and hard work). A lot of his run defense skills come from his hard work and determination.

RashanGary
11-03-2007, 02:06 PM
According to an article in the Press Gazette today, Kampman ran a 4.65 at his campus workout. I suspect he's always had a lot more athleticism than people have given him credit for. A lot of his pass rushing skills come from his athleticism (and hard work). A lot of his run defense skills come from his hard work and determination.

I agree. He's what? 270 now? And he ran a 4.65. That is top notch. He's 6'4" (just about perfect). He has the power to bull rush and the explosiveness off the snap to turn the corner.

I never considered him a premier athlete, because this stuff wasn't hidden until recently. Now it's all coming out (sounds like someone within the Packers organization released some of their scouting info from back then) - instead of ignoring it, I'm realizing that he is a hard worker and a smart player, but he's also a physically imposing DE. He just flat out dominates. It's not all technique. The guy beats the other guy up. He's a lot more physically gifted than people give him credit (even still if you look at guys like Leapers posts).

I would say this as a general statement of Kampman: Kampman is one of the more physically gifted players at his position and because of his work ethic, motor and football intelligence he reached his full potential when many with his physical ability did not.

4and12to12and4
11-03-2007, 02:40 PM
He frequently gets held and double teamed. .

He gets held all of the time. They have to hold him to prevent him from getting 3 sacks every game.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost every play, that's what pissed me off when we got a hold call that took away a JJ touchdown. I was screaming, "My God, they're literally teaming up on and tackling Kaampan every other play!!!!!" If all the players wore grease on their uniforms, Kaampman would have 15 sacks by now (assuming the QB had no grease :oops: ). He better make the Pro Bowl as a starter this year. BTW, KGB is quietly having a good year too, and M3 isn't just using him on third downs. I've rewatched the las two games, and he's got a new move to the inside, and he looks 20 pounds thicker. Just an observation. We have a very deep, talented defensive line, if Harris and Woodson stay healthy throughout, our defense will keep us in every game, we can beat anybody on any given day if the ball bounces the right way a couple of times. NOBODY can establish a running game against us. If we had better safeties and backups corners, we would have the best defense in the league, bar none.

esoxx
11-04-2007, 01:38 AM
NOBODY can establish a running game against us.

You must have missed the Viking game.

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 07:09 AM
That Hutchinson signing appears to be working for their Rushing Attack this year at least

Tarlam!
11-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Didn't see this posted yet:

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/11/01/1/

No Limit To Effort For Kampman

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 11/01/2007

Aaron Kampman's most recent sack describes the All-Pro defensive end, and newly anointed NFC Defensive Player of the Month, to a T.

In the fourth quarter of Monday night's game in Denver, the Broncos handed the ball on an end-around to receiver Brandon Marshall, who was looking to throw as he approached the right sideline.

Kampman had a chance to get him about 10 to 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage, but the shifty Marshall (far more mobile than most actual quarterbacks) made him miss. Kampman got up and took another dive at him, but Marshall eluded him again.

Then, with nowhere to throw the ball, Marshall took off for the middle of the field to try to gain some yardage running, and Kampman, motor still going, ran him down from behind and tackled him for a 3-yard loss.

Kampman said he's never had to work so hard for one sack in his life. "That probably takes the cake," he said. But the thing about Kampman is he'd work that hard for every sack if that's what it took.

"He's extremely consistent in everything he does, as far as his productivity on the field and as far as the way he attacks his profession," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "He works at his fundamentals all the time, and he really doesn't have a weakness in his game."

The sack of Marshall was Kampman's third of the night, fifth in his last two games, and eighth on the season, all while seeing more tight ends staying in to help block him or running backs chip him coming out of the backfield after he posted 15 1/2 sacks and earned his first Pro Bowl bid last year.

Kampman battled some nagging rib and side injuries that kept him from performing his best in the first few games this season. But in Denver, the fourth three-sack game of his career came on the heels of an absolutely dominant performance before the bye week against the Redskins, helping to win the NFC's monthly award.

In that game Washington's backup right tackle, Stephon Heyer, was no match for Kampman, who repeatedly pushed Heyer into the backfield to collapse the pocket. Kampman also tied a career-high with 11 tackles and took over on the last two defensive series of the game, recording a tackle for loss, two sacks, and a fourth-down tackle 6 yards short of a first down to preserve a 17-14 victory.

Kampman couldn't say if that was the best game of his career - "I've never really been able to point to one and say, 'Wow, that was it,'" he said - but it has to rank right up there. His two other 11-tackle performances, in 2006 vs. New England and in 2004 vs. the New York Giants, both came in defeats, and his three sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery in a dynamite outing against New Orleans last year also came in a loss, which is probably why he doesn't concern himself with remembering them.

But that's Kampman. He's not motivated by statistics, personal glory, or even the opposing competition necessarily. This week he'll be taking the same field as Kansas City's Jared Allen, the reigning AFC Defensive Player of the Month. Both defensive ends have eight sacks this season, tied for second in the NFL, one behind Philadelphia's Trent Cole.

Trying to outdo, or out-sack, Allen on Sunday would be a phony motivating factor to Kampman.

"Those are external things that can mess with your head, so why think about them?" he said. "You stay internal, you do what you do, you worry about yourself, and then at the end if you want to look at stats, you look at stats. I think those things are more traps than actual real solid things that can be motivation."

What motivates Kampman is trying to maximize on his God-given abilities, which everyone around the league is discovering are far greater than first thought, when he was a fifth-round draft choice in 2002 out of Iowa, the 14th defensive end taken that year.

"He's got a blue-collar approach in the weight room," McCarthy said. "He takes great care of his body. He's definitely one of the players that will think or look outside the box for different training techniques to improve himself."

Those different techniques generally involve a medicine ball, twisting and rotating his body in difficult and sometimes awkward stances and having to channel enough strength to thrust the heavy ball away from his body.

It's how Kampman has packed as much leverage and torque into his 270-pound frame as he possibly can, refining technique and adding explosion while simulating the movements to beat a blocker.

"Usually when we think of training we think of weight room stuff and free weights, and that's all very important and foundational," Kampman said. "But to take it to the next step, there aren't a lot of times (on the field) I'm going to be lying on my back bench-pressing. That's still a good exercise, but having said that, if I can do something to simulate how I'm going to actually be contorted and twisted while I'm pass rushing, or while I'm engaged with an offensive linemen, that really helps."

Kampman has improved his sack total every year he's been in the league, beginning with one-half sack as a rookie in 2002 to the 15 1/2 last year. With eight sacks through seven games in 2007, Kampman is on pace to set yet another career-high.

But it's not as though he's worried about that. Going back to the third sack in the Denver game, Kampman didn't even realize at the time the play on Marshall was a sack. He thought he just finally managed to make the tackle.

And it's probably his lack of concern for the statistics that helps him pile them up so quickly and consistently.

"From the motivation standpoint, all I've got to worry about is doing my best," he said. "When you really grab hold of that, the numbers and all that stuff don't become the focus. They become a by-product rather than the focus.

"As long as I can look myself in the mirror and know that I've done everything I possibly can do, then I feel fine. And I know that's all I'm asked to do."

Tarlam!
11-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Or this:

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/11/01/1/

Aaron Kampman Named NFC Defensive Player Of The Month

posted 11/01/2007

Defensive end AARON KAMPMAN of the Green Bay Packers, running back BRANDON JACOBS of the New York Giants, and kicker DAVID AKERS of the Philadelphia Eagles are the NFC Defensive, Offensive, and Special Teams Players of the Month for October, the NFL announced today.

DEFENSE: DE AARON KAMPMAN, GREEN BAY PACKERS
* Kampman had an NFC-best 5.5 sacks in three games during the month as Green Bay posted a 2-1 record. The Packers defensive end, who ties for second in the NFL with eight sacks, had at least a half-sack in all three October contests. He finished the month with consecutive multi-sack performances, registering two sacks in a 17-14 win versus Washington in Week 6 and tying his career-high with three sacks in a 19-13 overtime victory at Denver in Week 8. Since the start of the 2006 season, the Pro Bowl defensive end leads the NFL with 23.5 sacks.

In his sixth season from Iowa, this is Kampman's first Player of the Month Award. Kampman is the third Packers defensive end to be honored, joining Pro Football Hall of Famer REGGIE WHITE (Sept. 1998) and KABEER GBAJA-BIAMILA (Sept. 2001).