PDA

View Full Version : McGinn : Thursday chat 11/1

motife
11-01-2007, 06:27 PM
THURSDAY, Nov. 1, chat transcript
Bob McGinn
Journal Sentinel Packers beat writer

Bob McGinn answers questions about the team in our regular midweek Packer Insider chat.

Q: Adam of Watertown - Hi Bob, I know this is the NFL and it is your job to be ready every week, but why would the league have the Packers play a Monday night road game, then be on the road again six days later to play a team coming off of their bye week. That just does not seem right to me at all. Way too much advantage for KC.

A: Bob McGinn - Adam: I'm guessing it has happened before this season and in the past. I think there are a tremendous number of variables going on when they make the schedule. It's a tough situation for GB, no question. But when they kick off Sunday it really will mean nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Mike of onalaska - Bob-Is KGB due to make about 5 mil next yr?His role is definetly 50% of the value of Corey Williams-Why doesnt the pack consider cutting KGB and giving the money to a deserving player- Williams who is a real force?Without Willams the d-lines rotation would take a real hit and he would be tough to replace.KGB is a marginal pass rusher at best and could be replaced easier.Thanks

A: Bob McGinn - Mike: I disagree. KGB has had a huge impact this season, especially in close games in the fourth quarter. Pay him whatever. Fourth quarter pass rush is a crucial element in the winning equation. Playing 50% of the snaps as he does now makes him far more valuable, not less.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Digger of Andover - Hi Bob: Can Kitna keep up the pace?

A: Bob McGinn - Dig: His passer rating is 93.4, his team is 5-2 and he hasn't missed a snap, I don't believe. I would doubt it, at least not in that deep-drop system of Mike Martz.
Q: Jim Vaughan of New York - Bob, SI.com's Don Banks says that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are the only two quarterbacks that have beaten 31 teams. What team or teams does Brett Favre have yet to beat?

A: Bob McGinn - Jim: KC for one. But I don't have this at my fingertips.
Q: Rudy of Kaukauna - Did you notice the official in the Bears/Lions game Sunday actually ran up to the defensive lineman before a field goal attempt and physically moved him from lining up over the center to avoid a penalty! The same play ended up costing the Packers 4 points in the Bears game. Since when are officials allowed to "prevent" penalties?

A: Bob McGinn - Rudy: Got me. Didn't see that game. But officials at all levels do practice preventive refereeing, at least to some extent.
Q: John Henry of Neillsville - Is there a lack of accountability for some of the undisciplined actions of the defense? It's hard to imagine the great coaches allowing the ball kicking, lazy grabbing, and cheap shots. I know McCarthy's record is admirable, but is he too much of a player's coach to make this a dominant team? A coach doesn't have to be a jerk to get results, but their are proper techniques to avoid the need to resort to grabbing & the refs certainly are looking at these guys closely.

A: Bob McGinn - John: Seems like a good blend to me.
Q: Jack of Denver - Bob, I've jumped on your superbowl bandwagon after seeing the Packer/Bronco game in person. The Packers continue to make "young" mistakes with penalties, not converting in the red zone and letting teams get back into games at the end. Yet they still are winning games! I think they are on the verge of starting to blow some teams out and becoming an elite team. The talent on this team really jumped out at me after watching the game and I think Grant is the answer for what they have been looking for at RB.

A: Bob McGinn - Jack: Three quarters isn't quite enough to pass judgment on Grant. Let's see how he fares this week against a much stouter front. If he gets 75 yards, then we might be talking something.
Q: David Hartwig of San Diego - Bob: thanks for all your chats..long time reader...rare poster...anyway, the NBA has a referee ready to sub in case of injury, why doesn't the NFL have this in place? Also, it seemed that the officials were trying to overcompensate for their injured partner by calling a lot of penalties...the idea that they not only had to call their area but try to call another area, thereby not knowing what to "allow" and what to actually call. Your thoughts?

A: Bob McGinn - David: Head ref Mike Pereira says there is a backup referee at each site in the rare event that a ref goes down. At least I think I heard him say that on TV this week. He said the guy was someone who had ref'd in NFL-E or the like. But apparently they don't use that guy to fill in at another position.
Q: Nick Straetz of Mapleton, Maine - Any chance Charles Woodson gets benched as punt returner?

A: Bob McGinn - Nick: None. Who else is there?
Q: Dan Pabich of Irvine, CA - Greetings Bob. Truly enjoy your work! Question: Not sure what the lowest season rushing record for running backs is, but with the RB rotation seen thus far, what are the odds of having the top rusher for 2007 break the record for lowest ever for the team's leading rusher? Speaking of 07 rushers, what's the deal with Wynn? Does he truly have a season ending injury, or was it more the team told him to get his act together and you have the next 10 months to do it?

A: Bob McGinn - Dan: Two worst rushing leaders in my years on the beat were Mike Haddix (311) in 1990 and Darick Holmes (386) in 1998. Lowest ever was Verne Lewellen with 275 in 1926. Wynn finishes with 203. Grant checks in at 131, then there's Jackson at 97 and Morency at 64. It's a competitive, developing situation. Stay tuned.
Q: Frank Miller of Cudahy - Mr. McGinn Thompson has done a nice job of sticking to his plan and building a team. Now that it looks like they can compete for the playoffs is this off season the time for a bold move such as signing Michael Turner? Can a runner like Turner make a difference with the current O line?

A: Bob McGinn - Frank: Maybe. But in nine weeks and the postseason the whole team could be turned upside down. Needs now may not be needs then. Let's take one thing at a time.
Q: Lawrence Sena of Onalaska, WI - Hey Bob, what do you think about the constant TV media's worship of Brett Favre? ESPN's constant idolizing of everything he does has become sickening....at least to me. Do you think it's just a lack of creativity on their part? What can we fans do to put a stop to it....aside from an armned takeover of ESPN studios, of course. Thanks for the chats!!

A: Bob McGinn - LS: You know everything about Favre because you live in Wisconsin. There are still some in the other 49 that don't know everything. Plus, it's compelling TV, I guess. Not that I know anything about TV. Just turn the sound down. Watch the game with your favorite music blaring. You don't need announcers. Make your own commentary.
Q: Joe of Pittsburgh - You wrote a favorable article on the rookie FB, Korey Hall. Your new colleague (Bedrad) has written less favorable reviews of Hall. What are the differences in your viewpoints? Is this more the context of the viewpoint (e.g. a rookie vs a 4-year vet.)?

A: Bob McGinn - Joe: I pretty much wrote what Edgar Bennett and Joe Philbin said about Hall. For a rookie, he has had a strong season. Bennett says the Packers would be more than satisfied to go with him in the future.
Q: Michael of Los Angeles - I recall reading (I believe in one of your articles) when Grant was traded for that scouts and coaches around the league were very unimpressed with him. If I remember correctly one thought that PJ Pope was the superior player. Is it possible these scouts missed something or did Grant just have a good day against a weak defense?

A: Bob McGinn - Michael: Depends on who you talk to. I had a quote from a personnel director for an NFC East team that was extremely impressed with Grant this summer. And not just on ST, either. Others were not. That's the thing about scouting. Seldom do two guys look at the same tape and reach the exact same conclusion. That's what makes it a great business.
Q: Richard of LA - Hi Bob, Will Blackmon broke his foot and has not played for five weeks. What's with the Packers keeping him on the active roster and wasting a roster space?

A: Bob McGinn - Richard: Beats me. I thought they should go get another CB as soon as the injury was diagnosed.
Q: Dave Schneider of Austin - Bob, when you made your prediction at the start of the season for the Packers to take the NFC North, were you just playing the odds regarding the Bears coming back to earth or was there something you saw about them (aside from Grossman) that made you think they wouldn't be able to hold it together this year?

A: Bob McGinn - Dave: Grossman was way overrated from beginning. A short guy and poor athlete. But the loss of Jones couldn't have been minimized. Benson took a powder in the SB, for heaven's sakes. And that OL is way too old. I also think it's very hard to sustain much in Chicago. Look at the 1985 team. So much hype, so many opportunities for players to make a financial strike, so many people fawning all over them. On the day of the SB vs. Indy, I think I remember that almost all 15 people on the Tribune sports staff forecast the Bears to beat Indy. Honestly. Incredible. The media there has overrated the Bears for a year and that tends to rub off on the players as well. Then when Mike Brown, their overriding leader, went down, that clinched it. I went through it in GB when the Packers were in two SBs. You tend not to see slippage when you're so close to something. But you're paid to see it, not live in the past.
Q: John of Milwaukee - Does the receiving team in NFL overtime games have such a big advantage that a rule change might be in order? Here's a suggestion - the referee 'auctions' off starting field position to the 2 team captains at the beginning of OT, worsening the starting field position from midfield a yard at a time until one team agrees to start on offense deep in its own territory (with a coin toss only on a tie).

A: Bob McGinn - John: The flip was almost as big as the pass. I wouldn't have given a plug nickel for the GB defense's chances of preventing an Elam FG Monday night. Like the auction concept. Call Goodell; his wife worked in Milwaukee.
Q: Mark in Duke City - of Albuquerque - We're goin to Kansas City, Kansas City here we come. They got some pretty little linemen there and we are gonna try to run...... Bob, what are the chances the awesome running game dominance the Packers showed in Denver can continue this week?

A: Bob McGinn - Mark: OK, Mr. Wilbert Harrison (that's the artist, right?) ... KC is pretty stout at all four DL positions and their LBs can run like the wind. But their secondary stinks. If Grant gets 75, GB stands a great chance to win.
Q: Bryan of Appleton - Where are the weak spots of the KC defense that that Packers can exploit?

A: Bob McGinn - Bry: Ty Law has slowed down to a crawl. Pat Surtain isn't what he used to be, either. And their safeties are more hitters than cover people. Their nickel back is a rookie FA with 4.6 speed, too. There is little to exploit in the front seven. That Jared Allen is on fire.
Q: Arsenio of Los Angeles - Hi Bob. You're the best. Why have the Pack tried to ram zone blocking down the throats of personnel not suited for it? Is this mismatch the fault of the coaching staff for choosing a system that doesn't play to the strengths of its players, or TT for not selecting the right players for the system? I say it's the former since Clifton and Tauscher were here before and are obviously not comfortable with it.

A: Bob McGinn - Arsenio: It's not exactly like GB set the world on fire rushing in 2005, Mike II's swan song. The Packers averaged 84.5 and 3.4. McCarthy had worked with Alex Gibbs in KC and he was buds with Jeff Jagodzinski so he brought him back from ATL. Seemed like a good idea. It just hasn't been a good fit here. Yet. And if it still isn't working at season's end McCarthy will have to weigh what to do in 2008 given his current OL and RB situation.
Q: john of carlsbad,ca - Bob, You're great but can you stop the commish from his insane plan to play games in Europe? How about keeping actors and governors out of the MNF booth? I think most fans want to watch the NATIONAL FOOTBALL league.

A: Bob McGinn - John: You got a volume control on that remote, right? Then use it. I know you still have to look at non-football people on the screen for seconds at a time but at least you don't have to listen to them prattle. ... as for SB in Europe ... never having been there, I have no opinion.
Q: Bob Hurd of Warrensburg, MO. - Bob- can you tell me where the phrase "it is what it is" originated? Seems to be a phrase that is an answer to everything and says nothing.

A: Bob McGinn - Robt: You got that right. Bill B. started mumbling that a while back. I'm sure he got it from somebody.
Q: Nick D. of Orlando - Bob, The Packers have really struggled covering tight ends and with having to face Gonzalez this week that could spell trouble. In your opinion why has it been such a problem? While Bigby has shown flashes of promise it seems he's struggled more of late. Thanks.

A: Bob McGinn - Nick: Poppinga and Bigby don't cover very well. And Bob Sanders plays his LBs stacked well off the LOS giving TEs an easy release. It's a brutal mix. Gonzalez could kill the Packers Sunday.
Q: Nick D. of Orlando - Bob, I felt like Shanahan really helped the Packers out on Monday with the strategy at the end of regulation. The Packers were on the ropes and he called a low percentage pass play and a QB draw. With the success they had covering wide receivers and tight ends most of the game I'm almost sure Cutler could have found someone open in the end zone if he had three chances. Your thoughts?

A: Bob McGinn - Nicky: Heck, he had Marshall open in the corner against Harris and his QB threw a lousy pass. A decent pass and the game is over. The QB draw on third down was a mistake, especially against a tiring DL that wasn't going to be rushing hard, anyway. Cutler just ran right into Ryan Pickett, who was out there playing on guts and a bad knee.
Q: Ken of Beldenville - When you rated the Packers against the Broncos you stated that the Denver corners played with 'inside leverage'. Why would they do that considering the defense they were in (3 deep)? Seems to me they were trying to take away the slant pass and then got burned deep. Bates seemed to buy into the hype that Brett had lost the ability to throw deep. Thanks for your time.

A: Bob McGinn - Ken: Maybe. Or perhaps the blame should be placed on those two CBs. Maybe they were free-lancing just a tad.
Q: Ram of Andover, MA - How can McCarthy continue to justify the penalties committed by Woodson and Harris?

A: Bob McGinn - Ram: What's the alternative? Bush? The veterans just have to play better, especially Harris.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta, GA - Bob, I always enjoy your scouting reports the week of the game. Any chance you would do one on the Packers now that we are at mid-season?

A: Bob McGinn - Jess: No. We constantly discuss the Packers' personnel and scheme. That scouting report on next foe is tabulated to be short. If we gave such cursory space to an analysis of the GBP people, you'd be disappointed.
Q: duane thomas of dallas - I have a nephew that is a good back. To whom at the packers can I send his training films to so he can come in for a try out?

A: Bob McGinn - DT: Send to TT, but he only has $11M under the cap.
Q: Jonathan of Fort Collins, CO - Hi Bob. The Broncos game was a heart-attack on a plate. I must say that game is one for the ages...wow. The penalties were a bit disconcerting, but some were understandable with the level of noise. Were we employing a silent count on the goal line drive where Moll and then Clifton both got called for false start penalties? (BTW - I estimated 1/5 Packer fans at the game - it was amazing.)

A: Bob McGinn - Jonathan: I would imagine so on the goalline but I don't know that.
Q: Steve of Rochester - Hi Bob, according to scouts and I believe yourself, the talent on this defense should be a top 5. They don't seem to be performing that way. Is this an overevaluation of talent or coaching.

A: Bob McGinn - Steve: Some guys aren't playing all that well. Given the schedule that has been played and the schedule that is to come, I still see a final 5 finish.
Q: Mike of Platteville - I have a theory on the Blackmon thing, i.e., keeping him on the active roster while he heals. Perhaps TT doesn't see much out there, and figures that if he can string things along far enough that Blackmon can heal, he'll have another good, young DB coming to the team by the end of November, when we might just need him. GB has been lucky with injuries this year, getting guys healed up while still winning (See Wells for just one example). I like the idea of having Blackmon come back in 2 or 3 more weeks. Your thoughts?

A: Bob McGinn - Mike: I think TT would agree with you. I just don't like Blackmon's track record dealing with injuries. You've got to know your people, too. And I just don't see Blackmon contributing much, if anything, in 2007.
Q: Dave of Menomonee Falls - Bob, one of the things that has come through strongly in all the Max McGee stories is how genuinely liked he was by both his team mates and the fans. He seems to have been a truly engaging man. You've covered the Packers for a long time. Who in your era would you say was the best liked Packer?

A: Bob McGinn - Dave: Just took a quick glance through starting lineups since 1984. In no particular order, these are players that I think had broad-based appeal throughout the locker room: Mark Murphy, Mark Cannon, Keith Woodside, James Campen, Ed West, Harry Galbreath, Edgar Bennett, Earl Dotson, Marco Rivera, Bubba Franks, LeRoy Butler, Mike Flanagan, Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, Samkon Gado, Mark Tauscher, Ezra Johnson, Jerry ("The Cookie Monster") Boyarsky, Robert Brown, Bob Nelson, Jerry Holmes, Chuck Cecil, John Jurkovic, George Koonce, Doug Evans, Eugene Robinson, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown, Bernardo Harris, Nate Wayne, Al Harris, Grady Jackson, Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Pickett. And I'm sure that I missed a few that should be included. ... Thanks to all for participating///Bob