PDA

View Full Version : The Packers are going to lose (predictions)

RashanGary
11-01-2007, 06:54 PM
1. KC is the toughest place to play in the NFL. They have the best home record in the NFL since 1990.

2. KC is coming off a bye week and the Packers are coming off a short week.

3. Great RB's with rested legs are SCARY!! LJ is going to be rested and ready

4. The Packers biggest weakness on D is covering the TE. That just happens to be KC's biggest offensive strength

5. The Packers did an average job of running the football against the worst run defense in the NFL. People are doing backflips about Grant, but really, he's proven NOTHING to this point.

This is the first game I'm predicting the Packers to lose this year. There are just too many things to overcome. The only good thing is they are on the 2nd week after the bye. Their timing and rythym should be better, and they should still have thier legs after the long week off. I could see the Packers playing good football. I just don't think it will be enough. That said, don't go cliff jumping after one loss: this might be the toughest game of the season.

Chiefs 20, Packers 17

Freak Out
11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
No...you are wrong my friend..were going to win.

Pack - 22

Chiefs - 9

RashanGary
11-01-2007, 07:00 PM

I hope I am. Hopefully they can get up quick and take the crowd out of it.

Packers4Ever
11-01-2007, 07:32 PM

I hope I am. Hopefully they can get up quick and take the crowd out of it.

Hi, JH, I can't see one thing that really scares me silly and believe
me I scare easily! Denver really worried me down to the last
minute when they almost toppled us over, but they didn't, So I'm
going to stay cool. There's still 64 hrs. to game time by my count,
I'm going to educate myself re KC on the 'net.
Have a nice weekend! :D Keep the Faith !

Bretsky
11-01-2007, 07:59 PM
This is a test for Bob Sanders; I'm still not completely on board with him

The defense should be able to contain LJ and unravel Huard with consistent pressure. KC should not score more than 17 points.

If Sanders and the defense do their job IMO GB should win.

b bulldog
11-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Im also think they will lose but I thought they would get an L last week also. KC has kicked the NFC's butt since 95 and they have one heck of a home field advantage. Once again I hope I'm wrong but I say 20-19 KC :(

Brando19
11-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Toughest game yet....I hear that every single week. I just don't see it. I'm going to predict Bigby will contain Gonzalez and the Packers will win this one 24-13.

b bulldog
11-01-2007, 08:20 PM
It will make watching the Colts/Pats game much more exciting if you are correct.

KYPack
11-01-2007, 08:34 PM
This does have the makings of a trap game.

But, the Pack has won when I pick them, so I'm hangin' in and going with the G&G!

Rastak
11-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I have finally learned my lesson.....I did not pick KC in the all important PR pickem......

Funny thing is, I kinda suck in the PR league, yet last week I was 122 overall in yahoo pickem with no confidence points. I would guess there is at least 100,000 people playing. I was number friggen 2 in fans from minnesota. Number 2! Never ever have I even been close to that high yet PR's a killing me....damn confidence points!

Anyway, once again I took Green Bay.....

MadtownPacker
11-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Anyone with any respect for the Packers wont make THEIR prediction in a thread with such a stupid ass title.

Freak Out
11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Anyone with any respect for the Packers wont make THEIR prediction in a thread with such a stupid ass title.

Blow me Poncho.

Rastak
11-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Blow me Poncho.

Is that a Mexican poncho or a Sears poncho?

MadtownPacker
11-01-2007, 09:02 PM
It aint as shot at you, just JH. I hate when people act scared. Life needs to bes balls to the wall, ride or die, down to the finis, always, everyday, and all day. Fear is for the weak and this team is far from weak.

BallHawk
11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
For some reason I think people are overestimating the Chiefs. They have a top 15, arguably top 10, defense and a bottom 5 offense. They're averaging 14 points a game.

LJ has been playing well lately, but Huard is not going to be able to carve up this secondary. I expect Huard to be under a lot of pressure from the front seven and being forced into mistakes.

Packers win big.

Pack 31
Chiefs 10

Him8123
11-01-2007, 09:20 PM
its funny, on the KC boards, they are saying this will be a win for them, GB sucks, and is overrated, laughing my balls off, I hope we stomp em

Carolina_Packer
11-01-2007, 09:23 PM
1. KC is the toughest place to play in the NFL. They have the best home record in the NFL since 1990.

4. The Packers biggest weakness on D is covering the TE. That just happens to be KC's biggest offensive strength

5. The Packers did an average job of running the football against the worst run defense in the NFL. People are doing backflips about Grant, but really, he's proven NOTHING to this point.

This is the first game I'm predicting the Packers to lose this year. There are just too many things to overcome. The only good thing is they are on the 2nd week after the bye. Their timing and rythym should be better, and they should still have thier legs after the long week off. I could see the Packers playing good football. I just don't think it will be enough. That said, don't go cliff jumping after one loss: this might be the toughest game of the season.

Chiefs 20, Packers 17

Who are you and what have you done with JustinHarrell? :lol: Yeah, it's not going to be a cakewalk, but be confident, my man! We're far from invincible; we'll leave that to the Pats and Colts to fight it out on that front. We're also no slouch. We have moments of doubt and have in several games and sometimes they drive you crazy, but bottom line is aside from one game they should have won at home, they are gettin' it done.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.

-Henry Ford

RashanGary
11-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Know how many times an NFC team has won in Kansas City in the last 30 games (17 years)?

I'll start believing the NFC Champion goes through GB if this is a W. Right now I just think it's an L because very few teams come out of KC with W's.

swede
11-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Didn't the Pack lose in KC in '96?

This could be a good thing!

Partial
11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
For some reason I think people are overestimating the Chiefs. They have a top 15, arguably top 10, defense and a bottom 5 offense. They're averaging 14 points a game.

LJ has been playing well lately, but Huard is not going to be able to carve up this secondary. I expect Huard to be under a lot of pressure from the front seven and being forced into mistakes.

Packers win big.

Pack 31
Chiefs 10

I agreed. Chiefs have a great home record historically because Marty can prepare a hell of a team in the regular season.

I think they win. The Chiefs are not THAT good. Out of all the people to make a statement about the Pack losing the author of this thread blows my mind. JH you are a homer, why would you bet against them in this game?!?

Who is going to score touchdowns for the Chiefs?!?

MJZiggy
11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Well great, JH, this'll make 5. What's your point. Ain't NOBODY on that schedule our boys can't run with.

RashanGary
11-01-2007, 09:30 PM

GONZO could kill poopinga and bigby.

LJ is going to be 110% coming off the bye. He'll be a monster.

Partial
11-01-2007, 09:31 PM

Just like Gates (better than Gonzo) and LT did, right?!? Will he kill Barnett and Hawk, then? It's called game planning. The Packers won't have Poppinga on Gonzalez very often. I don't think Gonzalez will score at all. He'll have his catches because they will go at him a lot, but I don't think he'll be a huge factor in the results at all.

Little Whiskey
11-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Life needs to bes balls to the wall, ride or die, down to the finis, always, everyday, and all day. Fear is for the weak

let the rough side drag, checkers or wreckers, drive it like you stole it, checker flag or stearing wheel, stand on the gas, up on the wheel

swede
11-01-2007, 09:44 PM
The Pack DID lose to KC AND Dallas in weeks 11 and 12 of their Super Bowl winning season in 96.

I think they win on Sunday.

But plan B is to draw a parallel between a loss at KC this year and the loss at KC in 96.

b bulldog
11-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Poopy is actuall decent near the line of scrimmage, keep him there, please.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-01-2007, 10:17 PM
You're over-looking the battle in the trenches JH. The GB D line far out-classes the KC offensive line, this isn't your KC line of the past. With LJ shut-down their play action passing won't be very effective. As long as the Pack's offense isn't stagnant this should be a win.

Pack 31

KC 16

Freak Out
11-01-2007, 10:38 PM
It aint as shot at you, just JH. I hate when people act scared. Life needs to bes balls to the wall, ride or die, down to the finis, always, everyday, and all day. Fear is for the weak and this team is far from weak.

:lol: :lol: What happened to the cussing spitting Madtown? Mellowed I guess....? I know man I'm just flipping you some. I agree with you......why shouldn't the Packers be able to beat the freaking Chiefs on the road? We still have #4 and his weapons and a D that wins games. I'll take that over Brady or Manning any day.

Freak Out
11-01-2007, 10:39 PM

Blow me Poncho.

Is that a Mexican poncho or a Sears poncho?

Something tells me he will never wear a Sears poncho! Who you jiving with that Cosmic Debris?

HarveyWallbangers
11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Know how many times an NFC team has won in Kansas City in the last 30 games (17 years)?

I'll start believing the NFC Champion goes through GB if this is a W. Right now I just think it's an L because very few teams come out of KC with W's.

They had very good teams. They no longer have Priest Holmes, Trent Green, Willie Roaf, Will Shields, John Tait, among others. I think they are a middle of the pack team. It will be a tossup because it's a tough place to play.

We won 20-something straight homes games. Then, we became an ordinary team and started losing home games.

Also, Mad is right. Dumb title for the thread.

esoxx
11-01-2007, 11:12 PM
KC's offensive line is pourus. Even the unassuming Aaron Kampman admitted today that based on film he has watched, the Chiefs have had some problems on the line and they probably would have liked to have played better so far this season.

He's licking his chops. I assume the rest of the D-line is too. Like blood in the water, when you see stuff on tape that you know you can exploit, the juices start flowing and you expect to dominate.

Unless the Pack turns it over like against the Bears, I expect the Packers to dominate up front in a 20-10 victory.

superfan
11-02-2007, 12:06 AM
They had very good teams. They no longer have Priest Holmes, Trent Green, Willie Roaf, Will Shields, John Tait, among others. I think they are a middle of the pack team. It will be a tossup because it's a tough place to play.

We won 20-something straight homes games. Then, we became an ordinary team and started losing home games.

Also, Mad is right. Dumb title for the thread.

As usual, Harvey steals my thunder. Agree with everything here.

Chiefs have great records dating back to the 90s, but this is one of their poorer teams in a while. And yes, Arrowhead has traditionally been a tough place to play, but McCarthy has shown he can win on the road, with 5 straight road wins and an 8-3 road record. Also perhaps in GB's favor is that Denver has the 2nd best home record dating back to 1990, and GB just showed they could win there.

The Chiefs were looking like a pretty bad team going into this season, and I don't see how they've improved markedly.

They have one quality win, beating the Chargers in San Diego. You could also argue that beating Cincinnati by 7 is a decent win, but the Bengals have been pretty disappointing. Other than that, they have an ugly 3 point home victory against Minnesota, and a 12-10 road win over the Raiders.

In their 3 losses, they lost by 17 to Houston, by 10 to the Bears and by 10 to Jacksonville.

Not a terribly impressive resume.

However, they have won 4 of their last 5, and I expect a tough, close game. I'm not overly confident, but GB should win this one. JH makes some good points about certain matchups favoring the Chiefs, but I don't see this as being the most difficult game remaining on the schedule.

3irty1
11-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Anyone catch an episode of Hard Knocks on HBO?

It was a documentary on the Chiefs preseason in River Falls. I watched that and I was pretty sure that they were going to suck and suck big this year. Anyone else get the same vibe?

We've both been playing some inspiring football lately but they are very beatable. If we lose I have a feeling it will be a heart breaker.

cpk1994
11-02-2007, 01:35 AM
This is a test for Bob Sanders; I'm still not completely on board with him

The defense should be able to contain LJ and unravel Huard with consistent pressure. KC should not score more than 17 points.

If Sanders and the defense do their job IMO GB should win.If he can contain LT, he definitely can contain LJ.

Tarlam!
11-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Ya have to wonder if they'll be double teaming against DD after watching game film of MNF.

If, as JH predicts, the TE and RB shred our defense, the only question is can their defense stop Favre? Since we already played the dome this year and won, MNF in Denver and won, I have to believe the team can play and win in Arrowhead.

Should be another thriller....

Oscar
11-02-2007, 06:56 AM
I live here in Chiefs country and though I don't follow them much most of my friends do. Most think that the Packers will win. There big concern for the Chiefs is there O line.I see Kamp and company having a big game.The Pack take this one by 10.

Bretsky
11-02-2007, 07:25 AM
JH is predicting a loss
I am predicting a win

What the hell is going on around here ???????????????????????

Scott Campbell
11-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Anyway, once again I took Green Bay.....

Your such a homer.

:lol:

RashanGary
11-02-2007, 08:20 AM

I agree. He might be better than decent. It's time to just stick Hawk at SLB and keep him there. Let Poppinga do what he does well and have Hawk do the rest. It's a support role, but Hawk has a long career. He'll have his chance to get back on the weak side or middle at some point. Right now we need to win and get teh best team going into the post season this year. Poopy covering TE's isn't going to work.

The Leaper
11-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Also perhaps in GB's favor is that Denver has the 2nd best home record dating back to 1990, and GB just showed they could win there.

I would agree...but one of the reasons we won at Denver was because we had a bye week before to prepare. It showed in the running game.

Guess who has the bye week this time around...and who is coming off a short week of prep?

I'm sorry Packer fans...I do think we have a better team than KC, but this week just doesn't line up very well for us. Very short prep time, very short recovery time...against an opponent who traditionally plays well in their place that is well rested and well prepared. Will we have opportunities? Absolutely. The game isn't out of reach...but I wouldn't make us a favorite.

If we get a win this week, I think we openly declare ourselves as the team to beat in the NFC. Even without a win, we are still in an excellent position with a couple of very winnable games before the two Thursday tilts.

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2007, 08:45 AM

Chiefs 20, Packers 17

Something doesn't add up here. After that tremendous, scary buildup in which you all but say a Pack win is impossible, you have the Pack losing by only a field goal! That tells me it's not the lock you think it is. A game decided by only a field goal can go either way. By the logic of your own final score prediction, the Pack's chances of winning are virtually the same as KC's.

How's that for old Maxie the Taxi triangulating with the new math? :)

(No offense, but if I were McCarthy, I'd use your post as bulletin board material.)

MJZiggy
11-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Also perhaps in GB's favor is that Denver has the 2nd best home record dating back to 1990, and GB just showed they could win there.

I would agree...but one of the reasons we won at Denver was because we had a bye week before to prepare. It showed in the running game.

Guess who has the bye week this time around...and who is coming off a short week of prep?

I'm sorry Packer fans...I do think we have a better team than KC, but this week just doesn't line up very well for us. Very short prep time, very short recovery time...against an opponent who traditionally plays well in their place that is well rested and well prepared. Will we have opportunities? Absolutely. The game isn't out of reach...but I wouldn't make us a favorite.

If we get a win this week, I think we openly declare ourselves as the team to beat in the NFC. Even without a win, we are still in an excellent position with a couple of very winnable games before the two Thursday tilts.

So you think that just because a week has gone by that the offense has completely forgotten everything that they worked on in the bye week. I know football players are supposed to have a short memory, but I don't think that is what they meant. Also, I may not know M3 personally, but I have a feel for how he operates. You don't think he looked ahead at the schedule and realized the need to do some game prep for the short week when he had a week to spare? Add to that the fact that although it's a short week, at least there's some oxygen in KC cause there wasn't in Denver (which is probably why the D was so gassed).

I wouldn't rule this team out so quickly, and JH, what the hell is wrong with you? Predicting a loss? You? Come on now.

The Leaper
11-02-2007, 09:00 AM
So you think that just because a week has gone by that the offense has completely forgotten everything that they worked on in the bye week.

No, I'm not suggesting our bye week now goes for naught. I'm suggesting that the same boost we got in our win over Denver is PRECISELY what KC will have against us. Some of the weaknesses everyone is pointing out and saying will make this game a win for us will be addressed and strengthened by KC in the bye week...just as our run game improved during our bye week.

In the NFL, extra prep is a big positive. Less prep is also a big negative, although I'm not sure we are at that disadvantage because I'm sure McCarthy and his crew prepped somewhat for KC during the bye week knowing that there would be a short week after Denver. What I'm more concerned about is the shortened week of physical recovery for the players.

It was mentioned that it shouldn't be tough to win at a hostile environment because of what we did last week. I am merely pointing out that the advantages we had last week are now turned against us. Combine that with KC's historic HFA, and this looks like it will be a tough game for GB to win. Not impossible, just very difficult.

SkinBasket
11-02-2007, 10:07 AM

I agree. He might be better than decent. It's time to just stick Hawk at SLB and keep him there. Let Poppinga do what he does well and have Hawk do the rest. It's a support role, but Hawk has a long career. He'll have his chance to get back on the weak side or middle at some point. Right now we need to win and get teh best team going into the post season this year. Poopy covering TE's isn't going to work.

Anywhere you put Poppinga, he's less than decent. At the line, he's still confused, constantly runs into the back of the DLs on blitzes and stretch runs, and still has trouble being decisive about anything - which more often than not leaves him doing nothing, and doing nothing too late to boot.

You don't move Hawk around, ask him to change his role and learn another position because Poppinga sucks. You find a new linebacker that doesn't suck.

Bossman641
11-02-2007, 10:07 AM
I see a Packers win. Kampman and Co. should dominate that OL. I'm actually not that worried about LJ. We have yet to really allow a RB to go off yet. Gonzalez, however, scares the daylights out of me. I don't know what it is, but the Packers always allow the TE's to torch them in the 1st half before shutting them down in the 2nd. They need to stop with Poppinga covering the TE or whatever they have been doing, and just use the 2nd half adjustments from the beginning of the game.

20-13
Packers win

Carolina_Packer
11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Anyone catch an episode of Hard Knocks on HBO?

It was a documentary on the Chiefs preseason in River Falls. I watched that and I was pretty sure that they were going to suck and suck big this year. Anyone else get the same vibe?

We've both been playing some inspiring football lately but they are very beatable. If we lose I have a feeling it will be a heart breaker.

Yeah, it was well done. Herm is good on TV. No doubt once his coaching ends he might be a talking head. Very articulate, charismatic.

Look, it's the NFL, so the margin for being good or bad or winning/losing is often razor thin. Respect everyone, fear nobody. Why would we wet ourselves against anyone? It's not a cockiness, it's the confidence that says if they do what they are capable of doing and not beating themselves, then they can have a positive outcome.

Carolina_Packer
11-02-2007, 10:34 AM

Anywhere you put Poppinga, he's less than decent. At the line, he's still confused, constantly runs into the back of the DLs on blitzes and stretch runs, and still has trouble being decisive about anything - which more often than not leaves him doing nothing, and doing nothing too late to boot.

You don't move Hawk around, ask him to change his role and learn another position because Poppinga sucks. You find a new linebacker that doesn't suck.

Skin, and anyone...has Poppinga maxed out his talent or do you think there is a higher ceiling? Do you see improvements from last year to this year? Do you see improvements from the Eagles game to now?

RashanGary
11-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Little late for that, don't ya think? Should we just stick Poopy on Gonzo and hope for the best?

Maxie the Taxi
11-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Look, it's the NFL, so the margin for being good or bad or winning/losing is often razor thin. Respect everyone, fear nobody. Why would we wet ourselves against anyone? It's not a cockiness, it's the confidence that says if they do what they are capable of doing and not beating themselves, then they can have a positive outcome.

Your comment borders on the profound. It's why I hesitate to make predictions. When it comes right down to it, winners and losers in football are determined by four factors:

1) Playmakers -- Each team has a number of guys who are difference-makers, who can change the course of the game by making an exceptional play. Obviously, the team that starts the game with the greater number of playmakers has an edge.

2) Performance -- Players are human. They may be "up" for a game or "down." They may perform flawlessly or make mistakes. This is why teams practice and have coaches. The coaches job is to prepare players to be "up" for the game and to perform without mistakes.

3) Environment -- The environment of each game is different. Grass vs turf. Fans can be sedate or boisterous. Stadiums can be loud or not so loud. Officiating may be good or uneven. All of these can affect performance.

4) Luck -- The ball is oblong. A crazy or fortuitous bounce here or there might make the difference between victory or defeat. Performance can control luck to a certain extent. A kicker can take ball bounce out of picture by kicking it through the end zone or out of bounds. A defensive lineman can bat a ball into the air. However, in the end the ball will bounce as it will at any particular moment.

Which of these factors is most important? My money is on Performance. A well-coached, confident, disciplined team that doesn't beat itself has an edge that is difficult to overcome, especially in the long run. In the short run, Environment and Luck can take their toll.

Who's going to win in Kansas City? I don't have the faintest idea. :lol:

cpk1994
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM

Just like Gates (better than Gonzo) and LT did, right?!? Will he kill Barnett and Hawk, then? It's called game planning. The Packers won't have Poppinga on Gonzalez very often. I don't think Gonzalez will score at all. He'll have his catches because they will go at him a lot, but I don't think he'll be a huge factor in the results at all.Gonzalez can't carry Gates jock. LJ can't carry LT's jock. Id worry about Rivers well before I worry about Huard. KC is a poor mans San Diego. Pack beat San Diego. I expect the Pack to beat KC. My prediction: Green Bay 21-10.

Partial
11-02-2007, 12:39 PM

Just like Gates (better than Gonzo) and LT did, right?!? Will he kill Barnett and Hawk, then? It's called game planning. The Packers won't have Poppinga on Gonzalez very often. I don't think Gonzalez will score at all. He'll have his catches because they will go at him a lot, but I don't think he'll be a huge factor in the results at all.Gonzalez can't carry Gates jock. LJ can't carry LT's jock. Id worry about Rivers well before I worry about Huard. KC is a poor mans San Diego. Pack beat San Diego. I expect the Pack to beat KC. My prediction: Green Bay 21-10.

Agreed completely. I was being sarcastic :D

KC isn't that great. We have a better front 7. They won't be able to run but on the other hand I doubt we will either. If they want to sit in cover 2, then spread them out. Go 4 wide with Donald Lee on the line. Overload the zones. Mix up crossing routes with some Posts and Seams.

My theory on the cover 2 is the best way to play it is to attack it.

mission
11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
you guys are hilarious!

i agree that there are definitely some things going against us and i wouldnt be completely surprised to see a KC victory this week but come on!

in week three everyone was talking about KC being the worst team in the league (literally!) and they might not even win a single game and "OMG LJ IS HORRIBLE"... so they win a couple close games against average teams and that tone has completely changed. such a fickle group in general.

superfan
11-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Gonzalez can't carry Gates jock. LJ can't carry LT's jock. Id worry about Rivers well before I worry about Huard. KC is a poor mans San Diego. Pack beat San Diego. I expect the Pack to beat KC. My prediction: Green Bay 21-10.

Completely accurate analysis, yet somehow KC beat San Diego rather handily. Such is the NFL.

Green Bud Packer
11-02-2007, 03:23 PM
[quote="cpk1994"][quote="Partial"][quote="JustinHarrell"][quote=Partial]

KC isn't that great. We have a better front 7. They won't be able to run but on the other hand I doubt we will either. If they want to sit in cover 2, then spread them out. Go 4 wide with Donald Lee on the line. Overload the zones. Mix up crossing routes with some Posts and Seams.

Do middle screens,play-action (if they're running for positive yards)and draws work against cover two?

SkinBasket
11-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Skin, and anyone...has Poppinga maxed out his talent or do you think there is a higher ceiling? Do you see improvements from last year to this year? Do you see improvements from the Eagles game to now?

I think he's reached his ceiling, but it's hard to tell where that is due to his inconsistent play. I gave him the benefit of the doubt after that abysmal season last year because some made the argument he still wasn't fully recovered from his surgery. And early this year, he did look improved. After the first couple weeks, however, it looks like teams have figured out how we're trying to hide his deficiencies and are attacking his non-existent coverage skills and his indecisive movement in space.

Some people here seem to think he plays well at the line, and I just don't see it. I see a guy overrunning plays or running into the backs of his DL, and not getting the job done (pressures, sacks, or TFLs) when he does somehow find himself in the backfield.

I hope we find a way to end the Poppinga experiment next season, because I think the hole he creates in our defense is effecting other players as they are asked to cover for his deficiencies instead of being able to trust the guy next to them and play to their potential.

RashanGary
11-03-2007, 08:10 AM
I hope we find a way to end the Poppinga experiment next season, because I think the hole he creates in our defense is effecting other players as they are asked to cover for his deficiencies instead of being able to trust the guy next to them and play to their potential.

There is a very simple solution. From what I understand it's part of good coaching 101. It's goes something like this: put players in position to succeed.

Poppinga has done a good job at the line. He's a good tackler and he does a good job taking on blocks. He does an awfull job covering TE's. The simple solution is to stop having him cover TE's. The solution is to stick him on the weakside and look for something new next year.

Bretsky
11-03-2007, 09:09 AM

There is a very simple solution. From what I understand it's part of good coaching 101. It's goes something like this: put players in position to succeed.

Poppinga has done a good job at the line. He's a good tackler and he does a good job taking on blocks. He does an awfull job covering TE's. The simple solution is to stop having him cover TE's. The solution is to stick him on the weakside and look for something new next year.

I don't think it's quite as easy as you dictate here. If it was Sanders would have already done that. The offensive game plans are meant to expose Poppinga in coverage. Send the TE in motion; devise plays that make him cover if at all possible. Short from committing a safety to the TE on every play I don't think it's as easy as stated above.

RashanGary
11-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I don't think it's quite as easy as you dictate here. If it was Sanders would have already done that. The offensive game plans are meant to expose Poppinga in coverage. Send the TE in motion; devise plays that make him cover if at all possible. Short from committing a safety to the TE on every play I don't think it's as easy as stated above.

Good point. It seems like the only options to cover his weakness are replacing him or moving him to the middle. Moving him to the middle requires too much screwing around and is not worth the hassle for a below average player. See ya poopy.

Imagine if we landed Willis <drooling>

cpk1994
11-03-2007, 10:25 AM

Agreed completely. I was being sarcastic :D

I was trying to get at JH for what he was saying about how the Packers were going to lose becuase of Gonzalez and LJ with their matchup problems. Just simply pointing out that JH is completely ignoring the fact that the Chargers presented the same matchup issues and had better players to boot, but still the Packers won.