PDA

View Full Version : Dillon to the Pack?.. not sure what to feel about this

Pacopete4
11-02-2007, 08:05 PM
DILLON GETTING READY TO RETURN?

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that veteran running back Corey Dillon, who has previously rebuffed inquiries regarding his availability, is receptive to the idea of returning to the Patriots or signing with another playoff contender, such as the Packers.

Dillion, who last played for the Patriots in 2006, is training in preparation for a comeback.

He won a Super Bowl in 2004 with the Patriots, and he would be a great addition to a team without many/any guys who have championship rings on their fingers.

In this regard, we're getting very intrigued by what the Packers might be able to do in the postseason, especially if they could get Dillon to shore up the position. At a time when everyone with a pulse believes that Sunday's game between the Pats and the Colts is a preview of an AFC title game between the same two teams and that the winner of the rematch will seize the Lombardi Trophy without breaking a sweat, we like the idea of Brett Favre sliding a stone into his slingshot and catching Goliath in the gonads.

If that could happen, Favre would be able to ride off into the sunset with his own John Elway moment. And we predict that Favre wouldn't do it, and would instead keep coming back as long as his body will allow him to do so.

Brando19
11-02-2007, 08:37 PM
I was just getting ready to post this...but you beat me to it! I really really like this idea and I have for a while now. I say sign this man and let's see how far we can ride this year out! Hopefully to the Super Bowl. But if not... who knows...if the Pack makes it to the NFC Championship...we can convince Brett to come back...improve our running game during the offseason (Julius Jones...Marion Barber...or some other big time back)....SUPER BOWL OR BUST!

Partial
11-02-2007, 08:45 PM
He is older than the earth. Corey Dillion was at Washington while the dinosaurs roamed the planet.

MadtownPacker
11-02-2007, 08:46 PM
IMO Dillion proved he could play along when he went to the patriots. He contributed and didnt cry. Of course they where winning Superbowl during that time. Im sure that helped but if he has anything left, bring him in. I have been in favor of this move since the offseason.

MadtownPacker
11-02-2007, 08:51 PM
He is older than the earth. Corey Dillion was at Washington while the dinosaurs roamed the planet.Thats right so he isn't gonna get paid too much right? Not that it matter since there is mega cap to blast. Relying on what is there now is dangerous. "Clock killing" Corey Dilllion (I saw a patriots player saying calling him that name on a show a few years back) will at least increase the odds there is someone to run the ball at the end of the season.

PackerTimer
11-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Who wouldn't be for this, if he has some gas left in the tank. But thats the question. Even taking into consideration the state of our running game, I doubt he could help us out much, if at all.

The Shadow
11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
I don't think there's any gas left in his tank, personally.

MadtownPacker
11-02-2007, 08:59 PM
:laugh:
I don't think there's any gas left in his tank, personally.Thats what everybody said about you and you are still going. I bet dillion is like half your age.

rpiotr01
11-02-2007, 09:14 PM
This would be a half a season move while we have a shot. Bring him in and look at him honestly. If he looks better than Morency and Jackson, sign him. Shore up the damn position. They have a golden opportunity this year, dont let it slip because he's not ideal, take what you can get to make the RB position the best it can be this year.

MJZiggy
11-02-2007, 09:23 PM
He's what you call a stopgap. Funny coincidence, we could use a stopgap. I wonder what kind of length of contract he's looking for...That could be the backbreaker to him getting a deal done.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
1 Work him out
2 If he looks OK, pay him what he wants

The PAckers are desperate for a running back. Worth taking a chance.

They can structure a deal that doesn't put them in cap hell if they have to cut him. It means paying him more than he is worth this year.

ND72
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm against it. Corey Dillion is slower than most of our Lineman now. I'd rather ride out what we have then waste a chance for those young guys to grow. Heck, while we're at it why don't we just put POOPinga at RB?

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Corey Dillion is slower than most of our Lineman now.

maybe, but he ain't slower than Noah Herron, and Herron made the team.

Carolina_Packer
11-02-2007, 10:09 PM
TT has always maintained that "he likes his guys" at RB. It would be uncharacteristic of him to sign Dillon. However, it is getting to a critical time where if you add a piece like Dillon and now you've got Koren Robinson coming in to make a contribution, all of a sudden you've got some more leadership on your young team. Even if Dillon could do some situational things to help the team, that would be great. Nobody expects him to go off for 100 yards anymore, but he might run tougher than any of the backs we have, save maybe for Grant, and also, Dillon might be a great coach on the field, if he's comfortable being an organization man like that.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Morency hardly counts, he looks lame. Jackson ain't ready.

I want another back on the roster. Doesn't have to be Gale Sayers.

Bretsky
11-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Dillon at this point makes Noah Herron look like Carl Lewis in his prime

the_idle_threat
11-03-2007, 12:39 AM
I really doubt that. :lol:

It doesn't hurt to have a look at Dillon in a workout anyway. He's not a guy who would need to break any long runs. He's a guy who could hit the gap very hard and move the pile a few yards in the fourth quarter. We could use a guy like that.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Dillon is that slow. Did you see him play last year? I think he's a bad fit for our one-cut system.

Partial
11-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Dillon at this point makes Noah Herron look like Carl Lewis in his prime

Solid T&F reference

the_idle_threat
11-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Dillon is that slow. Did you see him play last year? I think he's a bad fit for our one-cut system.

I saw him play only one time last year, but I guaran-damn-tee he wasn't as slow as Cement-shoes Herron. Herron moves like a manhole cover among boys out there.

green_bowl_packer
11-03-2007, 08:52 AM
If he was given the choice between the Pack and the Patriots as the team he wanted to play for, he'd make the same choice as Moss, he'd just be playing the odds for the Lombardi trophy. Plus Sammy Morris just went on IR, so he slides right in to the Pats back field. The only way he'd pick us over the Pats would be for the money. I'd prefer to win with our guys, I'm just hoping someone (Grant?) steps up soon.

Bretsky
11-03-2007, 09:06 AM
If he was given the choice between the Pack and the Patriots as the team he wanted to play for, he'd make the same choice as Moss, he'd just be playing the odds for the Lombardi trophy. Plus Sammy Morris just went on IR, so he slides right in to the Pats back field. The only way he'd pick us over the Pats would be for the money. I'd prefer to win with our guys, I'm just hoping someone (Grant?) steps up soon.

I don't want him. He doesn't give us a chance to win a Super Bowl; he's not a playmaker. IMO he won't make the other guys better or put them in better positions to make plays.

We have young guys there and honestly he doesn't bring much to the table we don't have. He was very slow hitting the holes last year. I'd take Grant, maybe even the dirty Vern over him when healthy...which is a rarity. I'm sure there are street free agents we could sign via emergency that bring just as much

LL2
11-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Hey, the Pack are probably 1 or 2 links away from having a real shot at winning it all....so why not bring in Dillion. If we meet the Patriots in the SB Dillion will have a lot of motivation and a big chip on his shoulder.

ND72
11-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Hey, the Pack are probably 1 or 2 links away from having a real shot at winning it all....so why not bring in Dillion. If we meet the Patriots in the SB Dillion will have a lot of motivation and a big chip on his shoulder.

Um....winning it all? Make sure to watch New England vs. Indy...your super bowl champion is gonna be one of those 2. New England would destroy us. The only way we could compete with them, is if we ran the ball about 90 times and keep the ball 58 of the 60 minutes of the game.

Corey Dillion is NOT going to put us "over the top".

Tarlam!
11-03-2007, 09:49 AM
[New England would destroy us.

ND is right. Today, anyway.

They have another 8 games to play, though, just in the regular season. The way they're playing (running up the score) is very provocative and may be answered in a most hostile way.

Even if not, the Pack lost to Atlanta, I understand, due to horrific injuries in 200?.

It could just as easily happen to the Pats. I know they have depth, but, if a few pro-bowlers are on IR is certaiunly evens it out a tad.

Him8123
11-03-2007, 10:02 AM
we couldn`t compete with New England right now, but then again you never know. There always that one time, catch em on a bad day. I`m not too sure about Dillon, I would say bring him in for a work out. I know alot of people aren`t high on ricky williams (No pun intended) but I`d like to see what he`s got. very curious. So what he smoked a little reefer and does yoga. better than beating his wife and shooting at night clubs.

Brando19
11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Anything could happen. I agree the Patriots would destroy the Pack. However, never count out the Colts....never count out the Steelers...never count out the Chargers. Any of those teams have a chance of upsetting the Pats in the Playoffs. Everyone overlooks the Packers as well. If the Patriots get knocked out of the Playoffs...we have a mighty good chance of winning the Super Bowl (assuming Green Bay makes it 8-) )

Sign Dillon!

The Shadow
11-03-2007, 11:28 AM
:laugh:
I don't think there's any gas left in his tank, personally.Thats what everybody said about you and you are still going. I bet dillion is like half your age.

LOL
Actually, I have plenty of gas; keeping it IN is the problem.
It's just no longer in the right tank.

Brandon494
11-03-2007, 01:25 PM
4.1 yards per carry with 13 TDs last season. With Wynn out for the season I think we could really use him. He is a vetern who knows how to run and could add to this team.

ND72
11-03-2007, 02:06 PM
4.1 yards per carry with 13 TDs last season. With Wynn out for the season I think we could really use him. He is a vetern who knows how to run and could add to this team.

ok, #1, Wynn isn't even that great of a back. I think McCarthy & Thompson made a small statement putting Wynn on the IR, and then McCarthy said it isn't a "painful injury, just annoying". Grant & Morency are both better than he is. Jackson is still gonna end up better than him. Plus, write it down in marker, Wynn won't even be on the team next year.

#2, We don't need Corey Dillion, and it won't happen. Unless we have another season ending injury, I would guess Teddy doesn't make a single move at RB.

RashanGary
11-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Plus, write it down in marker, Wynn won't even be on the team next year.

I'd bet a couple beers on that. If you ever make it to a PR game and I ever make it, you buy me 2 beers if Wynn makes it. If not, I'll buy you two beers (or Bretsky will cuz he owes me :) )

RashanGary
11-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I think MM's statement that "Wynn can be as good as he wants to be" is true. I think his ceiling is higher than any RB on our roster right now and IF he works at it (I'm betting that he realizes his oppertunity) he can beat out any body that he's in competition with. Even if we draft a good RB, I think Wynn can beat out Grant or even Jackson if it came down to it. Ultimately, I think TT would just keep 4 RB's (because you can justify Grant with ST's) if they had to.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Corey Dillion is NOT going to put us "over the top".

nobody has suggested signing him sight unseen.

If he's got nothing left, fine, pass.

The Packers need help at running back. When you say TT's not going to sign anybody else you may be right, but not because the current corps is adequate.

4and12to12and4
11-03-2007, 03:14 PM
This "crap" that New England would destroy us, and that the AFC is SO much better than the NFC, is just that, crap. Hell, even in that 1st game of the season, the Saints and the Colts went into halftime locked in a defensive boring battle. I fell asleep and found out that Indy "dominated" the game. We beat a team that MOST were picking to win the AFC this year, and the Bears who have a horrible record almost beat them. The NFC and AFC are closer than most think. Yeah, the Colts and Patriots are unbeaten and the Patriots have been blowing people out, but, even when the Pats played against the Browns, that game was a lot closer than the final score indicates, it was up for grabs if the Browns had a couple of mistakes back. I just don't think that the Patriots OR the Colts are as good as everyone thinks, and I don't think the rest of the league is that much worse.

What if our corners took away Moss and Stallworth, do you think the Pats can run on us like they run on all these other teams like the Bengals, etc? I don't. It would come down to Favre playing as good or better than Brady, and I think he is capable, because Brady's top two receivers would be virtually shut down, and his running game would be sporatic at best, and I don't think you'd see him standing back there for a year like he has been most of this year. Don't sell the Packers short, remember last year, nobody thought the Colts could win it all because defense wins Championships and their defense was horrendous, sure they got Sanders back, but come on, he didn't COMPLETELY change that crappy defense, our only problem is a running game, that's easier to fix than an entire defense, isn't it?

BTW, if we can sign Dillon for one year under 2 million, why not? What's to lose?

ND72
11-03-2007, 03:56 PM
wow are we drinkin the kool-aide this year.

we're 6-1, but a couple moments away this year from being 2-5. Philly had a chance, but fumbled, San Diego had us on the ropes, Minnesota was driving to tie but threw an INT, Washington fumbled away their chance, and Denver had us for a while as well. Lets not get too cocky here, we've won games, but we haven't dominated anyone yet, or shown we are a dominate team. We caught San Diego when they were still down, Denver is NOT good, and yet we lost to Chicago when they were prime for a beating. Careful with how good we think we are.

Tarlam!
11-03-2007, 04:10 PM
wow are we drinkin the kool-aide this year.

we're 6-1,()Careful with how good we think we are.

It doean't matter what happens from here on out, ND. Your and my grandchildren that will both be Pack fans will look at our record and at WORSE say:

"Well, in 07/08 they were two games worse that 06/07, but they were 2 up on 05/06."

That's where we are today. It won't get worse than that all season long. In fact, it can only feasibly get better.

b bulldog
11-03-2007, 04:14 PM
ND I agree with you but that is todays NFL. Not much sperates the has and has beens except for Indy and the Pats. If we did play the Pats, I bet they'd score at least 40 points against us. If we played them in a SB, the only chance we'd have is if the stars aligned and we snuck one out. I also stated right before the broncos game that Wynn will not be a Packer next season. tHE KID HAS NO HEART AND HE ISN'T TOUGH ENOUGH

Brandon494
11-03-2007, 04:22 PM

ok, #1, Wynn isn't even that great of a back. I think McCarthy & Thompson made a small statement putting Wynn on the IR, and then McCarthy said it isn't a "painful injury, just annoying". Grant & Morency are both better than he is. Jackson is still gonna end up better than him. Plus, write it down in marker, Wynn won't even be on the team next year.

#2, We don't need Corey Dillion, and it won't happen. Unless we have another season ending injury, I would guess Teddy doesn't make a single move at RB.

Are you kidding me? Wynn will def. be on the team next season.

Tony Oday
11-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Right now the Pats would smoke us. Sorry the advantage is Welker Vs Whoever we have as a 3rd CB that day and we lose that all day long.

On the other side how can anyone say we are so close to being 2-5? I mean most games in the nfl are settled by less than a TD and it is the team that makes the least mistakes that usually wins.

ZachMN
11-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Lots of carts before horses in this thread, I must have missed the kool-aid stand on the way in.....

Dillon is not going to do anything except keep younger guys from getting reps, at this stage of the game we are what we are (apologoies to Denny Green). We may make a cinderella run and if we do we better make it before the clock strikes midnight. That being said we have made huge strides since last year and the first half vs. second half was huge; to put it another way we picked up where we left off from last year-winning somewhat ugly, not perfect football, but winning games when we should, maybe this second half of the season we start dominating teams and having games where the outcome is never in doubt, then all the talk about needing to pick up an older slower back whose best days are behind him (how many games has Ahman missed so far this year?? I predicted four, look it up..) will cease....

TT is unlikely to make this move, he likes keeping a younger hungrier team...

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Dillon is not going to do anything except keep younger guys from getting reps

Who cares if he is better than the young guys? Let them get their reps next year.

I have no idea if Dillon is any good. I'd be pleased to see him get a tryout.