View Full Version : Packers intend to keep Lee

RashanGary
11-02-2007, 10:13 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=681978

Team, agent start talks on contract

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Nov. 2, 2007

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers have begun contract negotiations with representatives for tight end Donald Lee that they hope will lock him up for years to come.

Donald Lee ranks 11th among tight ends in receptions with 25. At that pace, he would break the team record by a tight end of 56 set by Paul Coffman in 1979.

Lee, one of the most improved players on the roster, is the only starter among the seven players due to become unrestricted free agents in March.

"They contacted my agent," Lee said Friday. "I told them just get me a fair deal and I'll be happy. I'm not big on material things. I told them I don't want to know numbers and what's going on. I don't want to focus on that."

Agents Cary Fabrikant and Brian Levy have been talking with club negotiator Andrew Brandt for about two weeks. A deal isn't in sight but the Packers would like to get one by the end of December in order to use some of the $7.39 million that they have available beneath the salary cap.

"We like Donald," general manager Ted Thompson said. "We'd like to have him on our team. He's an effective blocker, a good receiver. How old is he? 27? To me, that's pretty young."

A year ago, Lee ran third string behind Bubba Franks and David Martin and had a forgettable season. Frustrated by his diminished role, he had little alternative but to re-sign for one year at $701,240, a deal that contained a $50,000 signing bonus.

After losing Martin to Miami in free agency, the Packers decided to find out if Lee could handle the starting job. Little did they know that Lee would perform better than ever before and maintain primacy over Franks throughout the off-season, training camp and the first seven weeks of the regular season.

An understated country kind of guy from tiny Pheba, Miss., Lee remains relatively anonymous at a position under transformation with the recent influx of talented players. Nonetheless, the Packers have come to admire Lee's consistency, work ethic and durability.

"My high school health teacher said, 'I don't care what your name is,' " said Ben McAdoo, the second-year tight ends coach. "I'm the same with him. Doesn't matter what the name is on the back of the jersey. It matters how he's playing, and he's playing well right now."

When Lee was told that he ranked 10th among tight ends in receiving yards with 304, he said in his deep, raspy voice, "No. 10? Really? I don't keep up with stats. That's nice, though."

Lee also ranks 11th in receptions with 25. At that pace, he would finish with 57 and break the team record by a tight end of 56 set by Paul Coffman in 1979.

"He's a legitimate starter," McAdoo said. "He's a threat in the pass game, he can get it done in the run game and in pass protection. Everything you ask of a guy, he's capable of doing."

Another reason the Packers have decided to extend Lee's contract is that Franks, who turns 30 in January, might not be back. His cap salary of $2.406 million will swell to $4.5 million in 2008, which might be untenable for the team barring a hefty pay cut.

The agents for Lee will be trying to determine their client's worth on the market in March compared to taking the bonus money now.

"When I came here everybody, the coaching staff, were real nice to me," said Lee, who backed up Randy McMichael for two seasons after being drafted in the fifth round by the Dolphins out of Mississippi State in 2003.

"I really like Green Bay. It's a lot like Mississippi. It's laid back. Good quality people. Only thing I really don't like is the weather. It gets cold. Other than that, I wouldn't want to trade it for the world. I wish I could retire here."

If Lee keeps putting up numbers, it's possible the Packers might have to pay him more than they anticipate. Lee can't expect to get a deal like Daniel Graham got in March from Denver ($15 million guaranteed) but Visanthe Shiancoe's deal in March with Minnesota ($8.2 million guaranteed) might be possible.

Lee is one of six starting tight ends headed for the unrestricted market. Indianapolis' Dallas Clark is No. 1, followed by Philadelphia's L.J. Smith, Tennessee's Bo Scaife, New Orleans' Eric Johnson and Seattle's Marcus Pollard.

The Packers signed Lee as a free agent shortly before the 2005 opener. Afforded an opportunity that year when Franks and Martin were injured, Lee played 35% of the downs and caught 33 passes.

Last year, Lee's playing time dipped to 21%. He dropped five of 22 passes and blocked poorly.

"I was just a special-teams guy," said Lee, who hasn't dropped any of the 32 thrown to him this season. "I never complained, but when there's something bothering you, you're just not yourself.

"You're standing on the sideline and all of a sudden your number is called, you really ain't got no rhythm. You feel fresh but you're out there moving at a different speed than everybody else.

"Being out there now and getting reps, the game is so much slower. I can read defenses so good, even when I go in motion. I remember last year, when they threw me in there, I was seeing a lot of people and I really didn't know what they were doing.

"It was kind of tough, but you know what? I'm very fortunate to be here. I ain't one to complain. Whatever you ask me to do, I'm just going to do it."

If and when the humble Lee gets the new deal, he intends first to thank the Lord and then buy uniforms for a pee-wee football league back home. He's also thinking about getting married to Shayne, his high school sweetheart and the mother of their two children back home in Pheba.

"I try to live by the three F's," he said. "There's faith, family and football. You can't do anything without God. Family's more important than football. If you've got your family taken care of, then you can concentrate on football.

"One thing you can't do is forget about where you came from. And definitely don't forget where you're trying to go. I just try to give it my all and have a positive attitude, no matter what happens."

RashanGary
11-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Good move. He's been a good, reliable TE. I'd guess Bubba is gone after this year. Locking up Lee insures we have a decent starting for the next couple years.

Carolina_Packer
11-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah, good move, and he fits in nicely. I would say Bubba is gone if he can't come back this year and be the man at TE. There are cheaper options than him as far as skills and what can be brought to the table. Hopefully TT will address this position next off-season more seriously than the previous off-season and not just with unheralded, under the radar, potential guys.

Bretsky
11-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Frontload 10,000,000 into this year so we use that stuff up :lol: :lol:

GBRulz
11-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Alcorn and Lee will be our TE's next year :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
11-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Frontload 10,000,000 into this year so we use that stuff up.

A deal isn't in sight but the Packers would like to get one by the end of December in order to use some of the $7.39 million that they have available beneath the salary cap.

Partial
11-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Good move. He's been a good, reliable TE. I'd guess Bubba is gone after this year. Locking up Lee insures we have a decent starting for the next couple years.

Why? Bubba has been very solid in both blocking and passing for a #2.

Zool
11-03-2007, 01:45 AM

Why? Bubba has been very solid in both blocking and passing for a #2.

Cause you dont pay $4.5 mil next season for solid production.

Partial
11-03-2007, 02:07 AM
Doesn't he get like 1.5-2 next year?

BF4MVP
11-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Keeping Lee is a good move..It's hard to believe at the beginning of the season we thought we didn't have any tight ends...Lee has been a very reliable option in the passing game..

the_idle_threat
11-03-2007, 04:02 AM
Doesn't he get like 1.5-2 next year?

Did you read the article? :taunt:

Another reason the Packers have decided to extend Lee's contract is that Franks, who turns 30 in January, might not be back. His cap salary of $2.406 million will swell to $4.5 million in 2008, which might be untenable for the team barring a hefty pay cut.

BlueBrewer
11-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Lee is one of six starting tight ends headed for the unrestricted market. Indianapolis' Dallas Clark is No. 1, followed by Philadelphia's L.J. Smith, Tennessee's Bo Scaife, New Orleans' Eric Johnson and Seattle's Marcus Pollard.

I would overpay for Dallas Clark or make a strong push for LJ

Bretsky
11-03-2007, 09:32 AM

Dallas Clark is the real deal; he's be a find. I'm not sure how interested I'd be in LJ Smith. Seems to be injured too often. I'm find with Lee going forward and maybe drafting another guy at this point.

Him8123
11-03-2007, 09:45 AM
good article, I really like Lee alot. He has been very reliable this year and has really improved his game. Hopefully he`ll be around for a while. Lock em up!

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Some of these guys (e.g. Dallas Clark) may never hit the FA market.

RashanGary
11-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Some of these guys (e.g. Dallas Clark) may never hit the FA market.

Plays with Manning.
Plays with Harrison and Wayne
Plays with a good running game

He's in a pretty optimum situation. He's probably a little overrated.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Actually, I think he's underrated--until this year. He's a supreme talent (a faster Chris Cooley) who has had to play 3rd fiddle (at best) to Harrison and Wayne.

Cheesehead Craig
11-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Keep Lee, he knows the offense and Brett has finally gotten comfortable with him. No need to rebuild the TE position at this point by bringing in someone else.

swede
11-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Keep Lee, he knows the offense and Brett has finally gotten comfortable with him. No need to rebuild the TE position at this point by bringing in someone else.

Wow. How times change.

Next we'll be standing pat at RB after back-to-back 100 yard games by Grant.

Lurker64
11-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Keeping Lee is probably a good idea, he's solid if unspectacular. That doesn't mean we couldn't use a superstar tight end though.

Joemailman
11-03-2007, 09:05 PM

Dallas Clark is the real deal; he's be a find. I'm not sure how interested I'd be in LJ Smith. Seems to be injured too often. I'm find with Lee going forward and maybe drafting another guy at this point.

L.J. Smith has caught about 5 passes this year, due mainly to injuries I believe. I think it would make more sense to try to get Bubba to renegotiate his contract. It's not likely he could go somewhere else and get 4.5 million.