PDA

View Full Version : bearbaiting

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2007, 10:21 PM
(I've often heard this word, didn't know what it meant. Mike Vick comes from a long tradition. humans suck. maybe we're getting better, tho. )

BEARBAITING, the medieval sport of setting of dogs on a bear or a bull chained to a stake by the neck or leg. Bears would often also be blinded. Popular from the 12th to the 19th century, when they were banned as inhumane, these spectacles were usually staged at theatre-like arenas known as bear gardens. In England many large groups of bears were kept expressly for this most barbaric and obscene purpose. Contemporary records reveal, for example, that 13 bears were provided for an entertainment attended by Queen Elizabeth I in 1575.

Bearbaiting began to decline in popularity, although very slowly, from the late 17th century onward. They were banned in England by the Puritans during the Civil Wars and Commonwealth (1642-60), and they were permanently outlawed by act of Parliament in 1835. Contemporary details of bearbaiting from Pakistan, one of the last few places where it is still practiced, report as follows:

"The bears, after being taken out of their natural habitat, get their teeth ripped out with pliers with no painkillers, nothing to stop the bleeding, and nothing to fight infections. Their claws are also ripped out leaving the bear totally defenseless. The helpless bears are now chained to a post and get mauled by attack dogs while thousands of spectators cheer with excitement. Without teeth or claws a bear must fight for its life against these ferocious dogs. Some of these bears have to go through several fights in one day with a few dogs in each fight. Their muzzles are ripped to pieces and ears bitten severely. Some of the younger bears are said to scream like a child from the pain that it is forced to endure. Some of the bears put their faces to the ground and try to cover themselves with their paws while the disappointed crowd boos because the bear isn't trying to fight back. As it is tightly tethered, a bear cannot escape the onslaught of teeth and claws. Injuries to its face can be horrifically agonising - not to mention disfiguring"

http://www.coeffic.demon.co.uk/BEARBAITING_files/image002.jpg

Freak Out
11-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Lovely post HH..fuck...and you claimed some of my posts were depressing.

Bear baiting is still legal in Alaska in some cases....just not the kind you are talking about. They bait the bear in to an area with something and kill it. Not very sporting and many have tried to get the board of game to ban it.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Using bait for bear is the number one way to hunt for deer. I am not a fan, and I would like to hunt bear, but I sure as shit ain't gonna sit over a bucket of garbage and wait for an unsuspecting animal to stick his head in the garbage can so I can shoot it.

BEARMAN
11-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Chained to a post, how "sporting" ? I always knew that people like this were rats ! :evil:

]{ilr]3
11-04-2007, 11:43 AM
(I've often heard this word, didn't know what it meant. Mike Vick comes from a long tradition. humans suck. maybe we're getting better, tho. )

BEARBAITING, the medieval sport of setting of dogs on a bear or a bull chained to a stake by the neck or leg. Bears would often also be blinded. Popular from the 12th to the 19th century, when they were banned as inhumane, these spectacles were usually staged at theatre-like arenas known as bear gardens. In England many large groups of bears were kept expressly for this most barbaric and obscene purpose. Contemporary records reveal, for example, that 13 bears were provided for an entertainment attended by Queen Elizabeth I in 1575.

Bearbaiting began to decline in popularity, although very slowly, from the late 17th century onward. They were banned in England by the Puritans during the Civil Wars and Commonwealth (1642-60), and they were permanently outlawed by act of Parliament in 1835. Contemporary details of bearbaiting from Pakistan, one of the last few places where it is still practiced, report as follows:

"The bears, after being taken out of their natural habitat, get their teeth ripped out with pliers with no painkillers, nothing to stop the bleeding, and nothing to fight infections. Their claws are also ripped out leaving the bear totally defenseless. The helpless bears are now chained to a post and get mauled by attack dogs while thousands of spectators cheer with excitement. Without teeth or claws a bear must fight for its life against these ferocious dogs. Some of these bears have to go through several fights in one day with a few dogs in each fight. Their muzzles are ripped to pieces and ears bitten severely. Some of the younger bears are said to scream like a child from the pain that it is forced to endure. Some of the bears put their faces to the ground and try to cover themselves with their paws while the disappointed crowd boos because the bear isn't trying to fight back. As it is tightly tethered, a bear cannot escape the onslaught of teeth and claws. Injuries to its face can be horrifically agonising - not to mention disfiguring"

I dont understand how this was ever viewed as entertainment. :cry:

Any team Beating the Chigago Bears however is top notch! :lol:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4197/thebitchqr0.jpg

BEARMAN
11-04-2007, 12:51 PM
{ilr]3]

Any team Beating the Chigago Bears however is top notch!

That means the pack is NOT a top notch team ! :twisted:

]{ilr]3
11-04-2007, 01:31 PM
{ilr]3]

Any team Beating the Chigago Bears however is top notch!

That means the pack is NOT a top notch team ! :twisted:

I am going against my own personal motto here :trll: But,

You can spin that anyway you want. :talk: The Packs record proves differently.

swede
11-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I have no problem with setting out food as bait to lure a bear, a deer or any other animal into close range in order to kill it quickly for food, sport, or controlling the animals' population.

Dead is dead.

Cruelty is a problem of the human spirit. Lion kills in Africa are terribly cruel. Nature does this all the time. People must not if they wish to share a culture that abhors cruelty and yet lives with the reality of death.

Deputy Nutz
11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I have no problem with setting out food as bait to lure a bear, a deer or any other animal into close range in order to kill it quickly for food, sport, or controlling the animals' population.

Dead is dead.

Cruelty is a problem of the human spirit. Lion kills in Africa are terribly cruel. Nature does this all the time. People must not if they wish to share a culture that abhors cruelty and yet lives with the reality of death.

last time I checked a fucking lion doesn't fill a oil drum filled with garbage to kill an antelope. The may attack it and spill its blood all over the place, and cause it severe pain, but I have never seen a wild animal bait another animal. so don't compare bear baiting to a lion killing an antelope.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 02:22 PM
There are animals that are smart enough to lure another animal into a trap (baiting). Still, I have no opinion on bear baiting. It doesn't sound very sporting.

BEARMAN
11-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Dead is dead.

Agreed, baiting for hunting or sport is fine, but tortureing any animal for your sick pleasure is just wrong ! :evil:
I am an avid hunter, we can not bait here on the west side, however I see the sportmanship in it. Baiting an animal is one thing, tourtureing an animal is another. Wrong is wrong, and that was wrong !