PDA

View Full Version : Four brothers make Oregon Football History

oregonpackfan
11-03-2007, 10:27 AM
This morning ESPN's College GameDay did a short documentary about 4 brothers who made Oregon Football History.

The piece was not about the Oregon Ducks or the Oregon State Beavers. It was about Division III Linfield College located in McMinnville, Oregon(western part of the state.)

Linfield has won four Division III Championships and has an incredible 52 winning seasons in a row!

The four Lemon brothers, all a year apart, play for the Linfield Wildcats. Their Dad is an assistant coach for Linfield.

On a punt kickoff earlier this year, all 4 brothers were on the field at the same time. It was the first time in Oregon college football history where four brothers played at the same time.

If the last name of "Lemon" sounds familiar to you, these young men are the grandsons of the famous Harlem Globetrotter player, Meadowlark Lemon.

In a very touching scene, the film clip showed Meadowlark on the field after a win hugging his coach son and his four grandsons.

packinpatland
11-03-2007, 11:16 AM
That is a pretty special story.

I got a chance to 'meet' Meadowlark Lemon', a long, long time ago. I was in grade school at the time, living in the UP. My mom and I were in JC Penney..........they had a habberdashery dept at that time, we heard all this noice and laughing coming from that section of the store. It was the Harlem Globetrotters trying on hats and entertaining the 'locals'. They performed that evening at Escanaba High School.
I told this story to my daughters a while back, they asked how I knew for sure it was the Globetrotters........
................living in the UP is the 60's, the closest place that had 'people of color' was Milwaukee (aside from those few on the GBPackers).

Glad he's still around to have seen that game.

4and12to12and4
11-03-2007, 03:29 PM
That is a pretty special story.

I got a chance to 'meet' Meadowlark Lemon', a long, long time ago. I was in grade school at the time, living in the UP. My mom and I were in JC Penney..........they had a habberdashery dept at that time, we heard all this noice and laughing coming from that section of the store. It was the Harlem Globetrotters trying on hats and entertaining the 'locals'. They performed that evening at Escanaba High School.
I told this story to my daughters a while back, they asked how I knew for sure it was the Globetrotters........
................living in the UP is the 60's, the closest place that had 'people of color' was Milwaukee (aside from those few on the GBPackers).

Glad he's still around to have seen that game.

That's cool. My nephew and I and his parents went to a Harlem Globetrotters game years ago, when my nephew was a toddler, and Meadowlark came over by us and pretended to pour water on my nephew, he was great. What's funny is that I was just at my sisters a few weeks ago and was in my nephew's room (he's pretty much a man now), and he still has a banner signed by Meadowlark and the rest of the Trotter's. I remember actually wondering if any of them were still alive and well. Thanks for sharing. Wonderful story.

Tarlam!
11-03-2007, 04:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_Globetrotters

Tarlam!
11-03-2007, 04:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Y1y6QOE6M

packinpatland
11-03-2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Y1y6QOE6M

Amazing stuff. ........................but I'd like it better set to the tune of 'Sweet Georgia Brown'. :wink: