PDA

View Full Version : Living in a cave with bears

4and12to12and4
11-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Just this preseason, the Bears played against the 49er's here in Chicago, and a buddy of mine had three free tickets. He called me up from work and asked if I was interested in going to watch "this year's Superbowl Champion get a little practice in". I thought, sure, I haven't seen the new stadium yet, what the hell, it's a free ticket. He then said he wasn't sure who else he should invite to go with us. We chose Dave. Not one of our closer friends, but a HUGE Bears fan. We knew how excited he'd be, this would be all of our first trip to the new stadium. OK. Done deal, I'm going to watch two teams I despise with two Bears fans IN Chicago. What have I done?

As I'm pontificating as to whether or not I've just made a huge error in judgement, I made the decision that if I was going I was bringing armour. So, I called my buddy who had the tickets and said, "Here's the deal, I'll go with you, but I'm wearing my Favre jersey." He just chuckled and said "Whatever", I'll pick you up around 5:30." So, I got "dressed" for the game, and waited for my buddies to show up. It's the same ol' routine. We go in my buddies' 2005 four door Dodge Ram pick up because it's the coolest of all our vehicles, my buddy with the tickets will drive, it's his truck, I get shotgun, that's just the way it is, and any other tagalongs better hope I like 'em or they ain't getting any leg room behind me. I hear the honk-diddy-honk-honk that signals the night is about to begin, and I walk out the front door. This is where the evening turns bad. Both my "buddies" went apenuts on me, got out of the truck and demanded I change out of my jersey, cuz they ain't going to Soldier Field with me in that. I told them in "man-language" it wasn't gonna happen. Before I knew it, suddenly we were on our way to the game, and I was dizzied still wondering why they were talking amongst themselves as if I didn't even exist, and I WAS IN THE BACKSEAT!!!
So, after a long uncomfortable ride to the stadium, we paid our $40.00 to get stadium parking, which pissed me off, because when I go to Lambeau I pay $15.00 and enjoy a nice walk to the stadium in the most cherished city in the world. Then we get out and start heading toward the field, and my buddies refuse to even walk with me, so I'm lagging five steps behind them, literally feeling all alone as the only Packers fan at Soldiers Field. I'm getting heckled literally every ten steps, and starting to understand why my friends had suddenly become my enemies. They knew me enough to know that for every heckle, I would say something back with my head held high, I mean, I do have a Favre jersey on, and Favre has OWNED the Bears, and beat them in the last game of the season, so I had quite a bit of firepower.
We take our seats, and I buy us all a beer just to try to kiss their asses a little and get them to at least acknowledge my existence, and that worked quite well. We were enjoying the game from that point on as the Bears tore the 49er's a new one, dominating them completely.
This is where it turned ugly, I was so pissed off at watching the Bears beat this pathetic team, that after Alex Smith threw another 3 and out pass, I stood up on my chair and cupped my hands to my mouth and yelled as loud as I could "Hey, coach, I guess you should've went with Aaron Rodgers, huh? Alex Smith, you suck!!" The stadium was much more quiet at that moment than I had expected, and may have been heard by all the players and coaches on both sides of the field, I've got some pretty good lungs. As I sat back down HUNDREDS of angry fans in the area I was sitting at were looking at me. I had a sudden chill go down my spine as I immediately regretted my actions. Obviously, my buddies didn't speak a word to me the rest of the game, and I didn't walk with them on our way out of the stadium either. They were pissed at me. I still don't get it, I'm a friggin' Packers fan, so what, deal with it.
So, the trip back to the truck was TEN times worse than the entry, because, many of those walking next to me had sat near me, and heard my cry. Not to mention the alcohol consumption. I thought I was going to get into a fight with these three guys who wouldn't shutup, and were giving me hell "You got balls coming in here wearing that" as I replied "yep, steel, baby, steel", and on and on it went, until I FINALLY reached the truck and someone yells out "Favre and the Packers suck" to which I replied, "We were good enough to kick you guys' ass last year right here at this stadium!!" They then said, "That's because Grossman was too busy thinking about the Superbowl". My final reply before getting into the truck was "He obviously didn't think about it enough". The ride home was even longer and much quieter. My gut says I won't be going to Soldier Field with my buddy again. BTW, they don't talk much about football with me these days, the last two years have been tough, but not anymore, not even when Illionois beat Wisconsin.

It's great living in the Chicagoland area again.

FritzDontBlitz
11-03-2007, 05:27 PM
VERY good story.

Be of good courage; after the loss to the Lions, I think the so-called "Bear fans" have all gone back into hibernation.

Nice to know there's another Packer fan in the Chicago area. I wrote a story about my experience watching the GB/Denver game last week at the ESPNZone. I think your story is way better than mine, simply because you were able to observe the frothy mouthed losers in their natural habitat.

ZachMN
11-03-2007, 05:45 PM
What did you expect? Not trying to be a jerk but you knew this was the most obvious outcome. Next time bring me and I'll guarantee you they won't be friends anymore LOL!!

pack4to84
11-03-2007, 11:00 PM
all week long I have been trying to listen to 670 because I love listening to bear fans crying on the radio. Nothing! Each time I got into my car to go to work was about the Bulls. Now on Saturday after the Bulls are 0-2, To my amazement I hear :talk: there talking about the White Sox. Its like football is done . Even when the bears went through 5 seasons without playoffs. At this time of year there still talking bears. The Lions took there hearts out in that game last week. :tup:

Rastak
11-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I would have worn neutral colors and enjoyed the damn game. In fact, when I was trying to swing the Packerrats game I didn't plan on strutting into Lambeau with full Viking colors when they weren't even playing. What would that accomplish? I don't attend sporting events just to antagonize people. For home games, all bets are off, but in a neutral game?

digitaldean
11-03-2007, 11:17 PM
all week long I have been trying to listen to 670 because I love listening to bear fans crying on the radio. Nothing! Each time I got into my car to go to work was about the Bulls. Now on Saturday after the Bulls are 0-2, To my amazement I hear :talk: there talking about the White Sox. Its like football is done . Even when the bears went through 5 seasons without playoffs. At this time of year there still talking bears. The Lions took there hearts out in that game last week. :tup:

Wonder how long the Bulls talk will last since the Bucksters beat the the Chicago Cows tonight!!!
:lol:

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I would have worn neutral colors and enjoyed the damn game. In fact, when I was trying to swing the Packerrats game I didn't plan on strutting into Lambeau with full Viking colors when they weren't even playing. What would that accomplish? I don't attend sporting events just to antagonize people. For home games, all bets are off, but in a neutral game?

It must be pointed out that in Green Bay opposing fans can where their gear without feeling intimated--like at some other stadiums I've been to. You'll get an occasional loudmouth (I'm guessing the loudmouth is not actually from Green Bay). I really think you should come to Green Bay. Wear your Vikings gear. If you aren't an ass, you'll be treated well. It's really something a lot of fans around the NFL could learn from.

Rastak
11-04-2007, 07:20 AM

It must be pointed out that in Green Bay opposing fans can where their gear without feeling intimated--like at some other stadiums I've been to. You'll get an occasional loudmouth (I'm guessing the loudmouth is not actually from Green Bay). I really think you should come to Green Bay. Wear your Vikings gear. If you aren't an ass, you'll be treated well. It's really something a lot of fans around the NFL could learn from.

I've heard that and that's cool. bUt it's really more about leaving the focus on the game at hand rather than be a distraction to people who are probably wondering what the hell a Viking fan was doing at a Bears-Packers game.

The one odd thing about the original poster's story I didn't understand though. Why did the fans get upset when he yelled a percievecd insult at the 49ers?

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 10:09 AM

I've heard that and that's cool. bUt it's really more about leaving the focus on the game at hand rather than be a distraction to people who are probably wondering what the hell a Viking fan was doing at a Bears-Packers game.

The one odd thing about the original poster's story I didn't understand though. Why did the fans get upset when he yelled a percievecd insult at the 49ers?

Good question. Actually they were all mumbling and jeering, and I didn't hear anything exactly, it just got real quiet, and I had realized what an ass I was by standing on my chair with my #4 on, and I actually blame myself for that, it was stupid, I was just SO irritated at watching the 49er's play like crap, as the stadium was having such a blast, it's their stadium, I should've shut my mouth, I'm actually taking blame on that one, I just wanted to share the experience, and give an example of how one of my best friends and I shared 6 hours of "non-friendshiplike" time together over this rivalry to put it into perspective for some here who don't understand the roots of hatred in this bitter rivalry. Especially when there was a poll to see if we wanted the Bears to beat the Lions and some said yes, and it pissed me off. But, yes, I was the ass that night, even though, the times I've been at Lambeau I've NEVER seen Bear's fans treated the way I was. Chicagoan's out here are jags much of the time. They have a bitter hatred for Favre and the Packers. But, that's understandable, I guess, especially this year, I'm suprised there haven't been any suicides, this was suppose to be THEIR year, and we're 6-1 with the old man. My point was that it is once again great to live in this area, the last couple of years have been a bit rough.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 10:16 AM

Hey Brian, the best radio station to hear Chicago rip the Bears to shreds is AM 1000 ESPN, but you probably don't get the Chicago talk shows over there, do you? 670 is better to their teams around here, a little more loyal, AM 1000 is fun when the Bears are losing, it was better when Jay Mariotti was on in the morning, but he ripped them so bad, they kicked him out of town, and his 3rd replacement (Salsbury was boring and stupid) is good ol' Tommy Waddle, but he still rips 'em pretty good, Mac, Jurko, and Harry are the best broadcasters here, they have a show on at 3:00, Jurko, of course, is Jurkovic, the lineman that won a Championship with us, but he lives here in NW Indiana, 20 minutes from my house, and grew up here and is a huge Bears fan. It sickens me, but they rip the hell out of the Bears with no mercy, it's awesome.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 10:19 AM
VERY good story.

Be of good courage; after the loss to the Lions, I think the so-called "Bear fans" have all gone back into hibernation.

Nice to know there's another Packer fan in the Chicago area. I wrote a story about my experience watching the GB/Denver game last week at the ESPNZone. I think your story is way better than mine, simply because you were able to observe the frothy mouthed losers in their natural habitat.

I read that post, it was funny as hell, in fact, it inspired me to give my story. After reading it, I was wishing I had driven 45 minutes and had been there with you, that would've been awesome.

BEARMAN
11-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Da BEARS are down, but by no means out ! Laugh it up you cheese eaters, your time will come, they stomped you once, and they will do it again ! :twisted:
It is hard to chat and be cheerfull when your team is loosing (you all KNOW that!) but being a true died in the wool BEARS fan that I am, I'll still come in here and yuk it up with all you cheeseheads. Ride the wave, enjoy it, I know I did, but remeber, when it all comes crashing down around your ears, I told you lord farve was old and would loose it for you. :twisted: Anyways, have fun, I'll be rooting for KC ! :duel:

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Da BEARS are down, but by no means out ! Laugh it up you cheese eaters, your time will come, they stomped you once, and they will do it again ! :twisted:
It is hard to chat and be cheerfull when your team is loosing (you all KNOW that!) but being a true died in the wool BEARS fan that I am, I'll still come in here and yuk it up with all you cheeseheads. Ride the wave, enjoy it, I know I did, but remeber, when it all comes crashing down around your ears, I told you lord Favre was old and would loose it for you. :twisted: Anyways, have fun, I'll be rooting for KC ! :duel:

The fact that you're still around shows more character than most of the Chicagoan's around here that I know. They've abandoned the team, and some aren't even watching them anymore. So, Kudos to you, my friend, you're team is much better than it's record, and, believe me, I know this things only half over, things can change in a hurry, especially if you guys get some players back. You guys are as decimated with injuries as we were when we went 4and12, and you still have 3 victories. Keep your head up Bearman, I have a feeling we will be hearing from this team again soon, maybe even this year. I don't even want to think about you guys sneaking into the wildcard, anything can happen. But you might wanna email lovie and tell him to put the kid in, Orton was a Monster at Purdue, and is IMO a better choice than greise.

BEARMAN
11-04-2007, 11:06 AM
You may have somthing there, Kyle won 10 games for us as a rookie ! Now our "D" was awsome that year, but it could happen again, ... it could, ... maybe, .... it could, .... :(

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 11:10 AM
You may have somthing there, Kyle won 10 games for us as a rookie ! Now our "D" was awsome that year, but it could happen again, ... it could, ... maybe, .... it could, .... :(

And they REALLY limited to NOT LOSE games, they held the reigns pretty good on him that year, he still hasn't shown what he can do, believe me, at Purdue he proved he has a great arm. Greasy has been worse than Rex, might as well see what ya got with him. I think Lovie is afraid to get bashed for being indecisive, but he needs to think about what's best for you're team. This NFC conference is still up for grabs, you guys are by far not out of anything yet, unless you lose your next game, then yer finished.

Guiness
11-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Think you were a scout? :D

I'm guessing it had only a little to do with what he said, and a lot to do with him being a @#% :evil: loudmouth wearing a Favre jersey!

BEARMAN
11-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Fingers crossed, toes crossed, eyes crossed, paaaaaallleeeeeeeese, just win ! :shock:

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Think you were a scout? :D

I'm guessing it had only a little to do with what he said, and a lot to do with him being a @#% :evil: loudmouth wearing a Favre jersey!

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FritzDontBlitz
11-04-2007, 04:06 PM

The focus on Rex Grossman's erratic play distracted the Bears front office from too many deficiencies that became more obvious once they benched him. Just too many injuries to a once vaunted defense, and poor offensive tackle play, Bearman. Devin Hester left/right will grow stale, too. Just too many injuries up the middle: Tommie Harris still looks hurt, Urlacher's bad back and the annual loss of Mike Brown at safety will become even more of an obvious deficiency down the stretch. Adam Archuleta? Please, he sucks. And if the cornerbacks are so good, why do they give an 8 yard cushion at every snap? Urlacher's back problems will suck the remaining pride out of what used to be a very good defense.

But look on the bright side: Jerry "Pretend ya don't remember my rep from Tampa" Angelo just got a contract extension into 2011, which is still 2 years before Favre will retire.

Every crow in the Chicago area might be dinner by the time the season is over, Bearman. Bon appetit....