PDA

View Full Version : Greg Jennings - Touchdown Machine

Partial
11-03-2007, 08:36 PM
4 touchdowns in 5 games. Looks to be a play maker. 18 yds/catch as well.

Fred's Slacks
11-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Seems like a lot of people didn't think he was a playmaker. It hard to argue against it now. He seems like he's always just a little bit faster than the guy trying to cover him. The great ones look smooth and effortless when they make plays and those two words describe Jennings well. I hope he keeps it up.

Joemailman
11-03-2007, 08:59 PM
During the offseason, we kept hearing how the Packers didn't have a receiver with break-away speed. I keep waiting for someone to catch Jennings from behind. Don't think I've seen it yet. If he can stay healthy, he will be one of the best big-play receivers in the NFL for a long time.

GBRulz
11-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't think many ever had doubts about his ability to make plays. Staying healthy was the biggest concern.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't think many ever had doubts about his ability to make plays. Staying healthy was the biggest concern.

No. There were plenty of people that said he couldn't stretch the field. I remember arguing that he could.

ND72
11-03-2007, 09:39 PM
How BIG has this kid been huh? You gotta love what Ted Thompson has done too with the 2 guys he's taken. Jennings is a playmaker, quick, agile, speedy...and then you ahve the big, but game fast James JOnes....OH, and there is that guy named Donald Driver as well.

I love Jennings. His presense has been felt since he came back from his brief injury. I remember him being worried in the preseason about his "role" on the team, but I think we've all more than found it so far. He's definately a person to worry about, and the best thing we could do now to hurt defenses is to go 3 WR's, possibly 4 if/when K-Rob comes back. Who you gonna double?

Fred's Slacks
11-03-2007, 10:13 PM
How BIG has this kid been huh? You gotta love what Ted Thompson has done too with the 2 guys he's taken. Jennings is a playmaker, quick, agile, speedy...and then you ahve the big, but game fast James JOnes....OH, and there is that guy named Donald Driver as well.

I love Jennings. His presense has been felt since he came back from his brief injury. I remember him being worried in the preseason about his "role" on the team, but I think we've all more than found it so far. He's definately a person to worry about, and the best thing we could do now to hurt defenses is to go 3 WR's, possibly 4 if/when K-Rob comes back. Who you gonna double?

I was thinking this same thing today. From here on out, we need to use ALOT of 3 and 4 WR sets. Spread people out. Keeping teams in nickel and dime should help open up running lanes on the draws and screens. Especially against KC. They have a strong front 7 but their secondary is suspect. We have personel to exploit that especially if we spread them out. Then we just need to make sure we can punch it in when we get close.

BF4MVP
11-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Greg Jennings is a STUD..The entire Packers receiving corps have been much better that most people probably expected. I remember going into training camp people were talking about how the offense was going to stall because all teams would have to do to stop our passing game was contain Driver...That's not so right now. In fact, Driver HAS been contained for the most part, considering what we're used to seeing from him..

GBRulz
11-03-2007, 10:59 PM

No. There were plenty of people that said he couldn't stretch the field. I remember arguing that he could.

i don't recall seeing that as much as I heard concerns about him being a china doll... Sure you aren't thinking of our TE's? :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2007, 11:17 PM

i don't recall seeing that as much as I heard concerns about him being a china doll... Sure you aren't thinking of our TE's? :wink:

I don't think people thought Jennings was fragile this offseason. He had the one ankle injury that caused him to struggle last year. It wasn't until he got injured again in the preseason that the fragile tag really got thrown around. People said all offseason (especially those clamoring for Moss) that we didn't have anybody that could stretch the field.

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Jennings is probably one of the top 5 "under 25" WR's in the game. We're lucky to have him.

HarveyWallbangers
11-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Kind of funny to read this now.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=7189&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=stretch+field+jennings

ESPN's WR rankings:

28. Green Bay Packers
You gotta love Donald Driver. He is just rock solid. Driver would not be the star at a combine, but he makes play after play every week. Unfortunately, he is the only player on this roster who Brett Favre can completely rely on. Greg Jennings burst onto the scene as a rookie, but quickly fizzled out and struggled with injuries as the grind of the NFL season took its toll. Robert Ferguson has tools to work with, but has not developed as hoped. The Packers selected James Jones in this year's draft. Jones will be counted on to push for the No. 3 receiver spot. Outside of Driver, who is getting up in age, the Packers lack real weapons at wide receiver.

Partial
11-04-2007, 01:57 AM

I remember when people questioned our receiving depth. Not too many teams can compete 3 deep with the Packers. Put in an average Koren Robinson (pretty good 4th wideout imo), and they are very difficult to match up with going 4 wide.

Partial
11-04-2007, 01:00 AM

I was thinking this same thing today. From here on out, we need to use ALOT of 3 and 4 WR sets. Spread people out. Keeping teams in nickel and dime should help open up running lanes on the draws and screens. Especially against KC. They have a strong front 7 but their secondary is suspect. We have personel to exploit that especially if we spread them out. Then we just need to make sure we can punch it in when we get close.

I agree. If teams want to play Cover 2 against us, then send 3 guys on seams, one on a post to take the safety, and have the tight end do a crossing route. Who are you going to cover let alone double? With our receiving corps it would make sense to run a play like this on 1st down with a play-action fake and take a shot at the end zone.

Scott Campbell
11-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Remember folks, Ted hasn't given Brett ANY weapons.

Badgepack
11-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Dont' forget Ruvell, he has caught almost everything thrown to him. Nice insurance, just in case.

Tarlam!
11-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Dont' forget Ruvell, he has caught almost everything thrown to him. Nice insurance, just in case.

I am still hot for Bodiford to break out.

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I started Jennings in Fantasy Football today

First time this year

I hope I didn't put to Whammy on the guy

Tarlam!
11-04-2007, 09:50 AM

First time this year

Is that akin to the Bretsky curse? Y'know, there's a reason why AJ Hawk is "slumping"....

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 11:31 AM
The amazing thing about the two bombs that destroyed Champ and Bly were that with JJ, most receivers would've been tackled by the safety right playing deep, he jukes him and 3 more guys to get into the endzone, that was awesome, as far as Jennings, he didn't pull a double move or anything, he simply ran as fast as he could and BEAT Bly. Combine speed and playing speed have always been uncomparable.

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 11:34 AM

First time this year

Is that akin to the Bretsky curse? Y'know, there's a reason why AJ Hawk is "slumping"....

I SURE HOPE NOT

esoxx
11-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Jennings had a very poor first half.

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 01:53 PM

His drop was sad; chance to make a big play.

esoxx
11-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Greg's stepping up in the 2nd half. Touchdown man strikes!

the_idle_threat
11-04-2007, 03:35 PM

First time this year

Same here. Benched Steve Smith. I think it worked out ok. :whist:

FritzDontBlitz
11-04-2007, 03:37 PM

I agree. Jennings short-armed that first Favre pick, then dropped a catchable slant and complained about illegal contact to the ref. He more than redeemed himself in the second half though.

Partial
11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Anybody starting to think we didn't get the short end of the stick in the trade of Javon after all? Seems to me Greg is going to be a great player here for years to come.

Joemailman
11-04-2007, 08:59 PM

I agree. Jennings short-armed that first Favre pick, then dropped a catchable slant and complained about illegal contact to the ref. He more than redeemed himself in the second half though.

Two weeks in a row that Jennings has gotten off to a rough start, but came through when the team needed a big play. Kind of epitomizes what this team is doing. They fight through adversity, and come up with the big plays when they need them.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:02 PM
How many TD's does Jennings have this year? God this post shows how lazy I am, I could just go to Packers.com.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Jennings is a big play player. very big future for the kid.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey Bulldog, where do you live, in Wisconsin?

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Did you guys see Wayne drop that perfect Manning bomb? Well, I guess it wasn't perfect because Wayne had to adjust and catch the ball over his outside shoulder, but it was exactly the type of bomb that Jennings has adjusted to and caught in stride the last couple of weeks. Wayne is a really good player. He did almost everything right, but he looked out of rythym and had a hitch in his step when he had to adust. He ended up dropping a ball that was right in his hands, probably because he lost focus while trying to make the adjustment. Jennings just adjusts without losing any focus. He is a playmaker, esspecially on those deep routes. Watching Wayne botch it makes me realize how lucky we are to have those passes caught every time.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Did you guys see Wayne drop that perfect Manning bomb? Well, I guess it wasn't perfect because Wayne had to adjust and catch the ball over his outside shoulder, but it was exactly the type of bomb that Jennings has adjusted to and caught in stride the last couple of weeks. Wayne is a really good player. He did almost everything right, but he looked out of rythym and had a hitch in his step when he had to adust. He ended up dropping a ball that was right in his hands, probably because he lost focus while trying to make the adjustment. Jennings just adjusts without losing any focus. He is a playmaker, esspecially on those deep routes. Watching Wayne botch it makes me realize how lucky we are to have those passes caught every time.

Every time? ok, that's going a little too far, but, yeah, that is awesome that such a great receiver missed a ball he didn't even have to adjust his route on and Jennings made the adjustment against a better CB and then outran him to the endzone, but JJ's catch and run was even more impressive.

BF4MVP
11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Think maybe it's time to change your username back to GregJennings? Harrell was on the inactive list again :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
11-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Think maybe it's time to change your username back to GregJennings? Harrell was on the inactive list again :wink:

No. Let him jinx Harrell.

MadtownPacker
11-04-2007, 11:35 PM

No. Let him jinx Harrell.Exactly.

Jennings is a straight up playmaker. I can't believe that clutch catches and runs he is pulling off. Who the hell does he think he is??

cpk1994
11-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Anybody starting to think we didn't get the short end of the stick in the trade of Javon after all? Seems to me Greg is going to be a great player here for years to come.For all those who cried about TT not drafting Chad Jackson, good thing that TT is the GM and not you guys. :P