PDA

View Full Version : Official Gameday Thread: Packers @ Chiefs

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 10:55 AM
When has Bigby helped the pass rush? Harris, Collins and Woodson are constants. Bigby has made precious few plays in coverage.

You're kidding right? Those plays where QBs aren't completing balls or holding onto the ball too long and allowing Kampman to make a sack, they count. Even though you don't see them on TV. Most of the time there is good coverage on those plays, and that is why the QB is holding onto the ball. Last year, safeties would blow coverage and the QB would throw deep to a wide open receiver downfield.

Brohm
11-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Bigby has had issues but he is a hard worker and I think he will only get better.

As far as sacks, if I read right, prior to the game, KC had 21 and was leading the NFL. We had 18. Yesterday they got 1 and we got 5. Did we just take the NFL lead? (Really, I have not checked)

Edit: NM about the sacks. Not sure what I was reading (maybe KC was leading AFC) We have 23 on the year. Chicago is leading NFC with 30.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Edit: NM about the sacks. Not sure what I was reading (maybe KC was leading AFC) We have 23 on the year. Chicago is leading NFC with 30.

Chicago has 25. NY Giants have 30. We are tied for 6th with 23. We were 4th in the league last year with 46. Coincidentally, our 5 sacks yesterday put us on pace for 46 sacks this year.

Brohm
11-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Damn, I really borked the NFL.com stat sheet :shock:

Williams on pace for 8 sacks. That's some nice inside pressure to go with our ends. Hope Jenkins can get healthy and turn it up as well. That being said, I hope they get Williams deal done.

The Leaper
11-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Bigby has had issues but he is a hard worker and I think he will only get better.

I'm not questioning that. I'm questioning his ball skills. He'll never be a reliable coverage safety...and in a scheme where you play your CBs tight, you need safeties with ball skills. Collins has skills in finding the ball, he just can't catch it if his life depended on it.

I've said it for over a year now. We need physical COVERAGE safeties in this scheme. Collins fits the bill, although he's not a playmaker. Bigby has a long ways to go.

The Leaper
11-05-2007, 11:21 AM
You're kidding right? Those plays where QBs aren't completing balls or holding onto the ball too long and allowing Kampman to make a sack, they count. Even though you don't see them on TV. Most of the time there is good coverage on those plays, and that is why the QB is holding onto the ball. Last year, safeties would blow coverage and the QB would throw deep to a wide open receiver downfield.

Makes no difference. My point was that the opposition this year is far more intent on stopping our pass rush, which limits the options for a QB to throw to...making it EASIER on the secondary by reducing the number of receiving options. It is far easier to get someone running free if you have 4-5 different options out there to throw to.

You can sit here and argue all you want. The fact that our DL earns more respect this year is unquestioned.

Remember how Favre's completion percentage dropped like a rock last year? We had to keep 7-8 guys in to block, and that reduced Favre's options to throw to. Fortunately, he didn't hold the ball too long...he just got rid of it for an incomplete pass most of the time. Ultimately, our defense is doing that to some extent to offenses this year.