PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead: Game plan against Vikes.

gbpackfan
11-04-2007, 03:56 PM
I just read that T-Jack sustained a head injury against the Chargers. Not sure how serious it was but profootballtalk.com said it looked pretty bad. If T-Jack can't go, Bollinger would be the man. Holcomb is going to be out at least another week with a neck injury. The game plan? Duh! Stop Adrain Peterson. Easier said then done, I understand that. But we need to load the box and make a 3rd string QB beat us. We're not going to be able to run a whole lot on them so Favre and Co. will have to do it again. All of the above seems to be painfully obvious but I thought I'd be the first one to post it. Hell, I started a FAVRE IS A GOD thread and even Rastak knows that! :D

The Leaper
11-04-2007, 03:58 PM
the game plan is 2 words.

CONTAIN PETERSON.

You do that, you win.

ND72
11-04-2007, 04:00 PM
No question. You put 8-9 in the box, and beg them to throw it. Which they can do, but I'll take our CB's against their WR's right now. take away their strength, and force them do things they can't do very well.

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Five words: "Eleven Men In The Box".

Rastak
11-04-2007, 04:09 PM
No question. You put 8-9 in the box, and beg them to throw it. Which they can do, but I'll take our CB's against their WR's right now. take away their strength, and force them do things they can't do very well.

That was what SD was trying to do. Jackson went out after he sustained a concussion, then Bollinger started hitting some recievers including Rice deep. After that, SD defense was toast.

Vikings rolled up 528 yards on a pretty decent SD defense. I was amazed. Great game to watch in person.

falco
11-04-2007, 04:11 PM

That was what SD was trying to do. Jackson went out after he sustained a concussion, then Bollinger started hitting some recievers including Rice deep. After that, SD defense was toast.

Vikings rolled up 528 yards on a pretty decent SD defense. I was amazed. Great game to watch in person.

Rastak,

AP is certainly the bright spot on that team. Hopefully for you the vikes can put all the right pieces around him, and he can stay healthy.

the_idle_threat
11-04-2007, 04:14 PM
I was happy to see the result in this game. You deserve to see some good football from your team, Ras. Of course, I'm not hoping for the same next week. :P

Rastak
11-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I was happy to see the result in this game. You deserve to see some good football from your team, Ras. Of course, I'm not hoping for the same next week. :P

Understood. Although I have some small amount of hope now. Vikings defense pretty much held the SD in check. They played their best defensive game in the last several.

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Ras-

Think the Vikes could do us a favor and beat the Lions at some point this season?

I'd really appreciate that.

Rastak
11-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Ras-

Think the Vikes could do us a favor and beat the Lions at some point this season?

I'd really appreciate that.

They damn near did in week two. FG off the uprights to win from 52......DAMNIT!

the_idle_threat
11-04-2007, 04:21 PM
The thing that has to be encouraging is that you have a stud RB and O line, and a very good defense. All you need is a couple of decent receivers and a journeyman Dilfer-type quarterback, and this is a contending team. They're not far away at all.

Who knows---if Rice can step up and Bollinger can manage a game, maybe you're there already. But hopefully not until after next week. :mrgreen:

Rastak
11-04-2007, 04:28 PM
The thing that has to be encouraging is that you have a stud RB and O line, and a very good defense. All you need is a couple of decent receivers and a journeyman Dilfer-type quarterback, and this is a contending team. They're not far away at all.

Who knows---if Rice can step up and Bollinger can manage a game, maybe you're there already. But hopefully not until after next week. :mrgreen:

Thing is, Bollinger looked bad in the preseason, which is why they traded for Holcomb, but actually Bollinger's played pretty decently every time he's played in the regular season. He might be ok short term. Jackson looked bad again. He just rushes his throws and he's nowhere near his recievers.
I was very disappointed in his play. When he was in the dome was pretty quiet as the so called "kick ass offense" went 3 and out time after time. But after Bollinger started hitting a few guys, the Vikings just started pounding the rock like I've never seen. Not just Peterson, Taylor had 60 yards also.

FritzDontBlitz
11-04-2007, 04:28 PM

The Packers already did it once. They just have to be able to do it again, this time managing the clock better to minimize Petersen's opportunities.

Rastak
11-04-2007, 04:33 PM

The Packers already did it once. They just have to be able to do it again, this time managing the clock better to minimize Petersen's opportunities.

On the road even....although I can tell you for sure they will be coming to town playing better defense and with some level of confidence. Not that Green Bay will be lacking any confidence. 7-1 is outstanding.

packinpatland
11-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Tomorrow we'll think about the Vikings....................let's just enjoy tonight.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 07:39 PM
11 in the box? I might try to sneak a 12th man in the box :oops:

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Bollinger is better than Jackson anyways. He's smart. He knows his limitations. He can be dangerous managing a game with AP as his back.

A couple weeks ago I had earmarked taking GB against the Vikings; I don't think I can now.

I'd rather have Tavarius back there

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Just design defensive plays so that the Umpire ends up in AP's way?

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 08:22 PM
We are playing at Lambeau, and we have maybe the best run defense in the league. Larry Johnson has 50something for the game. Every bigtime running team we go against, we shut them down. I know AP went nuts in the first half last game, but we just have way more talent then them in EVERY area, they will have to play a perfect game to beat us, and the way Favre is starting to really get into rythym with these receivers, I just don't see any way the Queens beat us at Lambeau. Can you say 8-1? How unreal would that be? Has Brett ever even been 8-2, or even 7-1 for that matter? Are we in uncharted ground?

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 08:23 PM
We need to hope Williams is okay to play, and we need to make sure that we have more than 3 DTs active on game day. They're going to get a lot of work. I was really surprised when Muir, Harrell, and Cole were all inactive for today.

ND72
11-04-2007, 09:24 PM
speaking of, is there any word on any of our injuries today?

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 09:27 PM

Williams is apparently not serious. He says he could have come back into the game today, but the trainers were being careful. The Collins injury is a little more serious, he might miss a game or two, but it's not season threatening. Collins said it wasn't major, but he wasn't able to bend the knee in the training room and he was on crutches at the end of the game.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:27 PM
The Vikes D and running game is very tough. brett will be throwing a bunch next weekend again.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, both players should be ready to play next week. No tears or anything serious.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
I heard Collins may miss at least a few weeks

Joemailman
11-04-2007, 09:41 PM

Williams is apparently not serious. He says he could have come back into the game today, but the trainers were being careful. The Collins injury is a little more serious, he might miss a game or two, but it's not season threatening. Collins said it wasn't major, but he wasn't able to bend the knee in the training room and he was on crutches at the end of the game.

Notebook: Packers optimistic injuries aren't serious

By Pete Dougherty and Rob Demovsky
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Packers think they probably escaped season-ending knee injuries to starting safety Nick Collins and defensive tackle Corey Williams.

Both were taken to the locker room in the Packers’ 33-22 win over Kansas City on Sunday and did not return to the game. Collins’ left knee looked like it might be injured seriously when he was helped off the field in the third quarter, and he had crutches in the Packers’ locker room. But he said he might be back as early as this week, and even if that ends up optimistic, it doesn’t look like his injury will land him on injured reserve.

Williams also said he didn’t think his injury was serious, though both players probably will have MRI tests today to better determine the severity.

“We don’t think (either has a season-ending type injury) right now,” General Manager Ted Thompson said. “You never know.”

The team medical staff’s diagnosis for Collins was a bruised knee, which likely means bones in his knee collided when some ligaments were stretched after his leg bent back awkwardly while he helped make a tackle early in the third quarter.

It’s unclear whether or to what degree he injured any ligaments, including the medial-collateral ligament. But the main knee injuries that are season ending are a torn anterior-cruciate ligament or torn patellar tendon, and Collins was adamant he’d sustained nothing that severe.

“I’m a little sore but no (ligament) tears,” Collins said. “Right now, just a bruised a leg. Tomorrow, go in, get the MRI, let the doctor look at it and see what they’re going to do. Don’t be surprised when you see me out there on Sunday.”

Rookie Aaron Rouse replaced Collins and made three tackles.

Williams was injured later in the third quarter, also went to the locker room and didn’t go back in the game. Williams did not have crutches after the game.

“Just a little tweak, ain’t nothing serious,” he said.

Coach Mike McCarthy said the Packers’ other two injuries were to running back Ryan Grant and backup linebacker Tracy White. Grant might have sustained a concussion about halfway through the fourth quarter and didn’t return to the game. White sustained a sprained ankle but did return.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Good but I wouldn't mind if Rouse would get some more action. Collins just isn't going to ever get it imo. Can he ever hold on to a pic? :x

GBRulz
11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
We are playing at Lambeau, and we have maybe the best run defense in the league. Larry Johnson has 50something for the game. Every bigtime running team we go against, we shut them down. I know AP went nuts in the first half last game, but we just have way more talent then them in EVERY area, they will have to play a perfect game to beat us, and the way Favre is starting to really get into rythym with these receivers, I just don't see any way the Queens beat us at Lambeau. Can you say 8-1? How unreal would that be? Has Brett ever even been 8-2, or even 7-1 for that matter? Are we in uncharted ground?

Brett has been 9-1 during our SB year. I think..before we lost to KC and Dallas on the road...

Lurker64
11-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Good but I wouldn't mind if Rouse would get some more action. Collins just isn't going to ever get it imo. Can he ever hold on to a pic? :x

Rouse looked timid and lost on the screen pass TD that the Chiefs scored on. Next week against AP, i'd like to either see Collins at full speed or Rouse being decisive. I don't care which, but I'm worried if Collins can't play.

Deputy Nutz
11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
With stopping A. Peterson I would keep 8 guys in the box, but I wouldn't just bring a safety up unless it is Rouse who has some decent size. I would bring in an extra linebacker, or go to a five man front. Switch it up, really give the vikings offensive line fits with different fronts.

Peterson is a great back, but have you seen the holes this guy is running through? Huge gaps.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I personally want Collins out and Rouse in. I don't like Collins. He's not a playmaker, and Rouse has a lot of potential, if he and Bigby can establish a good communication and relationship, that's two hard hitting sons of bitches in the middle, receivers will be timid, let's put it that way.

Freak Out
11-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Someone needs to take AP's head off. Early. :lol:

digitaldean
11-04-2007, 10:24 PM
It's obvious we need to stop AD because Bollinger/Jackson/Holcombe won't do it.

But that's easier said than done. AD is hitting the holes lightning quick and is not doing anything fancy.

Hopefully, the nutty professor (aka Childress) pulls enough bonehead plays to help us out.

the_idle_threat
11-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Next week might be a game where McCarthy himself comes off the sideline to make a touchdown saving tackle. Either him, TT, or both.

I wonder what the penalty would be for that?

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm listening to the Chuck Woodson sound bite on packers.com. Damn, I love how focused this team is. He said (paraphrase) "Yeah, we're playing pretty well, but we're making a bunch of sloppy mistakes. We can't get to the next level unless we clean up our game. The top teams will start to separate, and we want to be one of those top teams so we have to clean up our game"

I did my best to wing it off memory. The moral of the story is that they are not satisfied. It's easy to feel good and ease up. This team seems to work harder, even after W's. To me, that comes down from the coach. I'm impressed. I exect a W against Minny.

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm listening to the Chuck Woodson sound bite on packers.com. Damn, I love how focused this team is. He said (paraphrase) "Yeah, we're playing pretty well, but we're making a bunch of sloppy mistakes. We can't get to the next level unless we clean up our game. The top teams will start to separate, and we want to be one of those top teams so we have to clean up our game"

I did my best to wing it off memory. The moral of the story is that they are not satisfied. It's easy to feel good and ease up. This team seems to work harder, even after W's. To me, that comes down from the coach. I'm impressed. I exect a W against Minny.

Hope you are more accurate than this weeks prediction :wink:
Great win today !!!

Cheers,
B

RashanGary
11-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Hell yeah, GREAT W.

Each one is honestly getting better because we're all sitting around still wondering if this team is real and each week they come out and give evidence that they are.

Cheesehead Craig
11-04-2007, 11:16 PM
The way to stop the Vikings is to pray Peterson gets sick or hurt in practice. Sorry guys, I just don't see how we contain him. The MN defense is insanely good against the run and they would probably give up 150 yds and 2 TDs against him.

MadtownPacker
11-04-2007, 11:43 PM
As long as peterson is the only viking who scores it will be OK. Just have to shut everyone else down and minimize the damage he will do.

I have a question for you college experts. I remember someone mentioning that Rouse played against AP in college. What was the outcome of that match up?

Rastak
11-05-2007, 08:08 AM
With stopping A. Peterson I would keep 8 guys in the box, but I wouldn't just bring a safety up unless it is Rouse who has some decent size. I would bring in an extra linebacker, or go to a five man front. Switch it up, really give the vikings offensive line fits with different fronts.

Peterson is a great back, but have you seen the holes this guy is running through? Huge gaps.

Ummm, that's not exactly what I saw, I saw a crease and he was suddenly at the second level and I also saw him beating guys to the edge. Anyway, keeping him contained is definately doable. The Eagles did it when Minnesota was behind and had no credible passing threat.

The Leaper
11-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Ummm, that's not exactly what I saw, I saw a crease and he was suddenly at the second level and I also saw him beating guys to the edge. Anyway, keeping him contained is definately doable. The Eagles did it when Minnesota was behind and had no credible passing threat.

I agree with you Rastak. He did have a couple big holes, but he also had a couple runs where he had a small seam that he just tore through. It isn't just getting to the 2nd level either. Peterson's talent is how quickly he goes from the 1st to the 3rd level. He doesn't give LBs or run-stuffing safeties much time to get a hit on him. That is why he makes BIG plays.

I knew Peterson was a great pick for the Vikings...I think most Packer fans conceded that during the draft aftermath this year. I had no idea he was going to be THIS good. He is probably the perfect size for a RB, and has incredible speed and vision. He reminds me a lot of Dickerson.

Zool
11-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Brooks comes in each week and moves that team, but they keep putting in other QB's. I just dont understand it. let Brooks play....in Week 11.

Joemailman
11-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I think the key against A.P. is discipline. You have to stay in your lanes and not lose contain. If you over pursue, he can make a cut and be up to full speed in an instant. That's when you get in trouble.

4and12to12and4
11-05-2007, 08:21 AM
I think the key against A.P. is discipline. You have to stay in your lanes and not lose contain. If you over pursue, he can make a cut and be up to full speed in an instant. That's when you get in trouble.

Good, because that happens to be our strength.

4and12to12and4
11-05-2007, 08:28 AM
We need to be aggressive against the run, but we better be careful if they decide to play action pass against us. On MNF they said QB's ratings against us when they play action pass is like 130something. The only good thing is that their QB will probably miss his target anyway. I really can't see Minny beating us in Lambeau. This is the first game I have quite a bit of confidence going into. I'm starting to believe we are almost as good as our record indicates. I hope I didn't just jinx us!

Tony Oday
11-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I dont think we really need to change the way we are playing defense save for the fact Shiancoe could have a HUGE day. We cannot cover a TE to save our souls but elite RBs are being contained.

What I am really worried about is our corners. I do not think that they have been tested this year very much at all and when they have they have come up short. We were 2 inches from losing in KC if that WR could have made a decent play, not an amazing play, a decent one. Harris was burned like my wifes dinner!

I see a VERY tough game for the Pack. We can score on them if it is good weather but what do we do if we have to run the ball? I like Dorsey Levens take two but he cant run against the Queens Defense. Our WR match up well but you know Favre will throw atleast one pick.

In summation I think the Pack need to stop the passing game of the Vikes that will be set up by us putting 8 in the box. If I am the Queens I run a 4 WR formation almost all day. Spread out the Pack and run it on us.

Joemailman
11-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Tony,

It's tough for the Vikings to run a 4 WR set when they only have 1 good WR.

Lurker64
11-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Tony,

Bobby Wade, Sidney Rice, Robert Ferguson, and some other guy don't strike fear into your heart?

Carolina_Packer
11-05-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't know if the Vikings coaching staff decided that they had to unleash the beast yesterday, but it was strange, all the talk earlier about AP being monitored and not over-worked. If that's the case, I think they were "carefulling" themselves out of having the best chance to win games. Are you trying to win games the best way you can, or are you not?

Pounding AP, controlling the clock, stopping the other team's run and getting some timely plays in the passing game and defensive passing game. That's how the Vikings are going to win this year. Think about it, gang. If they get a longer-term answer at QB, another receiver and a CB, they could be very good and much more consistent.

Zool
11-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Tony,

Bobby Wade, Sidney Rice, Robert Ferguson, and some other guy don't strike fear into your heart?

That would be #7 overall pick Troy Williamson playing the part of some other guy.

Rice might actually be good, but could someone tell him to get a # in the 80's please? This trend with WR's in the teens, I just dont like it.

mngolf19
11-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Should be another close game between these two. Vikes have to find a minimal passing game, and find a way to somewhat diminish Favre's day. Oddly, as was said earlier a bad weather game could be to the Vikes advantage. Anyone know the forecast?

On another note. Very nice start for the Pack. congrats

MJZiggy
11-05-2007, 12:49 PM
MN, please check your pm.