PDA

View Full Version : Postgame Observations (Well, Just 2)

FritzDontBlitz
11-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Ryan Grant is the real deal. He only had 19 carries for 55 yards, but he definitely hit the hole harder and finished his runs better than either Vernand Morency or Brandon Jackson. I swear, every time time Jackson's number is called for an inside run it looks like he turns sideways because he's afraid of getting hit.

Daryn Colledge is a bust. He has got to be the worst offensive lineman I have ever seen in Green Bay since Tony Mandarich. Jeez, he is re-inventing the "lookout" block every week.

Is it too late to re-sign Marco Rivera?

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Agree on Grant

College does not seem to have taken the step ahead many hoped he would.

Brohm
11-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm holding out hope for a year 3 jump just like we saw with Wahle and Rivera.

Joemailman
11-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Ryan Grant is the real deal. He only had 19 carries for 55 yards, but he definitely hit the hole harder and finished his runs better than either Vernand Morency or Brandon Jackson. I swear, every time time Jackson's number is called for an inside run it looks like he turns sideways because he's afraid of getting hit.

Daryn Colledge is a bust. He has got to be the worst offensive lineman I have ever seen in Green Bay since Tony Mandarich. Jeez, he is re-inventing the "lookout" block every week.

Have you forgotten Will Whitticker? I'll bet Favre hasn't. :lol: I agree with you on Grant. With more consistency from the OL, he can be very good. Colledge has to be the disappointment of the season. The Packers are exceeding expectations in large part because a lot of young guys have gotten better, but Colledge has regressed. Hopefully it's just a sophomore jinx.

gbgary
11-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Ryan Grant is the real deal. / Daryn Colledge is a bust.

instead of jumping off the tower here you might want to make sure you have bungie attached. they're both young, raw, inexperienced. how many backs have come and gone in a flash? time will tell.

FritzDontBlitz
11-04-2007, 07:38 PM
instead of jumping off the tower here you might want to make sure you have bungie attached. they're both young, raw, inexperienced. how many backs have come and gone in a flash? time will tell.

I'm not jumping off of anything about either, I was watching the entire game and Grant just showed himself to be the better runner: he has the best instinctive moves, he doesnt shy away from contact and he shows much more toughness when he's in the backfield taking the carries.

Grant was moving the pile for positive yardage even when there wasn't much of a hole to run through. Morency wasn't as good: he spent way too much time dancing around trying to find an opening instead of making the best of what he had. Jackson just looked the softest of the three: his best possible cut and run was in the 4th quarter when he saw the left side of the field wide open, unfortunately it was at the same time Colledge was being flagged for a false start. Grant is more decisive with his cuts; Morency and Jackson are way too tentative to have any success. Grant may not turn out to be a long term solution, but he's definitely performing better than the other two backs they have right now.

Just watch the film on Colledge's play throughout the entire season: he completely whiffs on more plays than any other lineman I have ever seen in my life - not only that, but most of the time after he has a breakdown he completely gives up on the play before the whistle. He'll miss a block, reach out with his hands to grab at the guy, then once the defender gets past him he'll just watch the play disintegrate instead of trying to hit someone else. Its the worst possible thing you can have from your interior linemen. If he was at tackle at least Brett could step up into the pocket to evade the outside rush - when Colledge has a breakdown there is no pocket for Favre to step up into. Those are the kinds of protection breakdowns s that 1.) prevent Favre from stepping into his throws to maximize their distance and velocity, 2.) cause unneccesary hits on your franchise QB, 3.) create unnecessary turnovers from hits or deflections (OK, I agree that the second pick with :35 left before the half was a bad idea, but Colledge compounded matters by allowing his man to get enough penetration to hit Favre's arm as he threw - and they were in the freakin shotgun at the time!), and worst of all, 4.) blocking breakdowns like the ones Colledge is constantly guilty of can often send your franchise QB into retirement due to a career ending injury or concussion.

The Packers need to find a solution for Colledge, and fast. If not, its just a matter of time before he gets someone killed. His pass protection has been just that bad.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Colledge really irks me. he totally sucks.... I almost wish Brett would have pulled a Holgren and chewed his butt out on the field for playing so lousey. He can't hold his position and he jumps too much :x

gbpackfan
11-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Colledge had an absolutely terrible game. He doesn't seem strong enough to keep powerful DTs out of the back field. At this point, he can only be classified as a disappointment. I don't think it's going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if he looses his starting job when Juice is 100%. He's athletic as hell but he needs to get stronger.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Hate to bring this up by Shaun Rodgers is going to kill Brett unless something changes with our G's. Rodgers is playing lights out and he is one huuuge man.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I have to disagree, yes, Grant doesn't shy away from contact, but he causes a lot of contact that he could avoid with better vision and/or cutting ability. He seems very fast out there, but misses a lot of holes and possible extra yards. He did have a good game, but I still believe that all in all Brandon has better skills and tools, he's just younger and needs to figure out this scheme, and get time out there. He's better than Grant, by far. I'm telling you, Grant is not the answer. He will not be on this team next year. Brandon Jackson if he stays healthy will be our guy for years to come. He simply is the better athlete.

Bretsky
11-04-2007, 08:29 PM
I have to disagree, yes, Grant doesn't shy away from contact, but he causes a lot of contact that he could avoid with better vision and/or cutting ability. He seems very fast out there, but misses a lot of holes and possible extra yards. He did have a good game, but I still believe that all in all Brandon has better skills and tools, he's just younger and needs to figure out this scheme, and get time out there. He's better than Grant, by far. I'm telling you, Grant is not the answer. He will not be on this team next year. Brandon Jackson if he stays healthy will be our guy for years to come. He simply is the better athlete.

In game one Grant had 57 of his yards after his first contact. Pretty unreal if you think about it. He has very good vision. Some Power. Decent Speed.
Much better than anything Jackson has shown up to this point at least. IMO our RB of the future is either Grant or not on this year's roster. I actually think Grant might be very solid as part of a one two punch.

I'm not bashing Jackson yet, but I definitely have not seen flashes yet that would illustrate he can be the guy. He didn't stand out in college as the #1 back and hasn't yet for us either.

son of a vic
11-04-2007, 08:47 PM

Mike Wahle was a turnstile early in his career. I say by the end of the year, if he still looks this bad, then maybe move on. He'll probably get next season yet, then he'll be gone, if he can't improve.

4and12to12and4
11-04-2007, 08:47 PM

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, I see the exact opposite, I see a guy in Jackson that has MUCH better cutting ability and breaks tackles while Grant goes down on contact. Jackson just needs to be more decisive. Grant is getting love from M3 because he reacts quickly and doesn't dance, if Jackson starts doing that he will show he is better, and Jackson has ability to make the big play also. Maybe I'm wrong, I just like what little I've seen of him. But, comparing these two and watching Adrian Peterson, just makes me want to puke. Almost 300 yards in a game, my God, that is just sick, congrats Rastak. You have just aquired one of the most exciting players in the NFL, and if stays healthy will start getting compared to some of the greatest backs of all time. Damn, I wish we had him. We would be unstoppable with him in our backfield with Favre and our defense, oh well, wish in one hand, shit in the other ...

In game one Grant had 57 of his yards after his first contact. Pretty unreal if you think about it. He has very good vision. Some Power. Decent Speed.
Much better than anything Jackson has shown up to this point at least. IMO our RB of the future is either Grant or not on this year's roster. I actually think Grant might be very solid as part of a one two punch.

I'm not bashing Jackson yet, but I definitely have not seen flashes yet that would illustrate he can be the guy. He didn't stand out in college as the #1 back and hasn't yet for us either.

b bulldog
11-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Wynn, Jackson and Morency all are pretty bad at this moment.

HarveyWallbangers
11-04-2007, 11:14 PM
I think Grant looks like the real deal. Jackson actually has some moves, but it seems like there's a guy in the backfield every time he runs (usually from the guy Colledge is supposed to block). Most of the time, I don't think there's much he can do.

I'm most disappointed in Colledge. His pass blocking has been solid up to this point, but he wasn't even that good in that this week. I'm starting to think we'd be better off with Spitz at LG and Coston or Moll at RG.

Merlin
11-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Here we have a prime example of people who supported the decision to take Colledge in 2nd round of the draft. People who said that the guy is the real deal and will make a difference. Now, it's the total opposite and off with his head. He has been playing in the NFL for 24 games. He started 15 games last season, played in 16 and has played in all 8 this season.

Why then are you not bashing the guy who drafted him? For the same reason you still support taking Justin Harrell #1 this year, you know the guy who has played in 2-3 games? Not even active for the rest?

I think all of the Colledge bashing here is a prime reason of why I hate it so much when people have the "new guy" syndrome. It doesn't surprise me that our guard play is so poor. There isn't a veteran guard on this team with ANY experience starting multiple seasons in the NFL for any duration. Is that Colledge's fault? The norm in the NFL is usually 2-3 seasons for an offensive linemen to find his stride. There are a lot of exceptions, maybe he isn't one of them and according to all of the Thompson supporters, that was okay. But now it's not okay? So who is really to blame here? Is the guy a bust? Was he over-rated by Thompson out of the gate? Which is it?

Comparing Colledge to Mandarich is complete nonsense. They aren't even close. We have the NFL's worst running game for a reason and it isn't all on Colledge. It's on Thompson and only on Thompson. If you can give him all of the credit for our success, then you have to give him credit for us being the worst running team in the NFL. Otherwise any praise for him is simply nothing more then a personal bias for the guy.

Our offensive line as a whole isn't really all that good. Tauscher and Clifton are showing their age and the ZBS is not a good scheme for them, Colledge, Spitz, Coston and Moll aren't doing anything well. Scott Wells is probably our best offensive lineman right now and he's the center.

Grant is doing a great job. I am not convinced he is the real deal yet. Not because of him, but because we haven't had any running back stay healthy in such a long time that it's hard to believe in anyone rushing for us right now. Morency is a great ZBS back. However you actually have to run the ZBS effectively for him to be effective. I was an advocate for a one cut pile pusher from day one this season. A back that would pound it in there. Chris White fit that bill, yet he is on the practice squad. Jackson is a bust in my mind. He just doesn't look very good and never really has. Wynn has a glass jaw so that will limit his overall abilities in years to come. He may be an effective 3rd down type back but he needs touches to get the big plays out of him and I don't think he can endure a whole season. Morency is proving to also have a glass jaw.

So far this season, the only success we have had rushing is pounding the ball in there. Here's to hoping that the all mighty Ted Thompson makes the moved to put Chris White on the roster and take Jackson off. With a viable one two punch at running back and Morency to change the pace, our rushing game would improve. But then again, what do I know? Thompson has done such an awesome job so far creating the NFL's best running game.

Zool
11-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Someone shit in your cornflakes again Merlin? Contrary to what you might think, Mr Thompson is not the anti-christ. He's the GM of an NFL football team.

You are the Yin to the Yang. Some give him all credit for good and no blame for the bad. You blame him for everything bad and give him no credit for the good.

The world is still in balance, and I thank you for it. I dont want a topsy turvey world where you have a good attitude on Monday mornings after a win. I would be gathering canned goods and heading for the mountains.

Brohm
11-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Speaking of Grant, apparently he sustained a concussion and is questionable for next week :cry:

That being said, damn there are some bitter m'fer's out there. 7-1. We have some holes, but I also think we are a bit ahead of schedule as far as being competitive :shock:

Joemailman
11-05-2007, 10:49 AM
We have the NFL's worst running game for a reason and it isn't all on Colledge. It's on Thompson and only on Thompson. If you can give him all of the credit for our success, then you have to give him credit for us being the worst running team in the NFL. Otherwise any praise for him is simply nothing more then a personal bias for the guy.

Fair enough. I give him credit for putting together a team that has a legitimate chance of going to the Super Bowl despite having the league 's worst rushing offense.

The Leaper
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Comparing Colledge to Mandarich is complete nonsense. They aren't even close. We have the NFL's worst running game for a reason and it isn't all on Colledge. It's on Thompson and only on Thompson. If you can give him all of the credit for our success, then you have to give him credit for us being the worst running team in the NFL. Otherwise any praise for him is simply nothing more then a personal bias for the guy.

I would agree.

However, Thompson is also responsible for the team being 7-1. He hired the coach. He revamped the defense. He gave Favre the weapons in the passing game (Lee, Jennings, Jones...hopefully Robinson) to succeed.

So what's your point? Green Bay got screwed by Houston offering Ahman Green ridiculous money...leaving us with very few options at RB. Thompson did a reasonable job of targeting Grant at the end of preseason...who looks like he is at least a solid #2 back in this league. Grabbing Hall for FB also will turn out to be a good move. However, Thompson should be held accountable for not doing what was necessary to build this running game prior to Green's departure.

The draft next year is loaded at RB...until then, we ride the arm of a HOF QB. What's the big deal?

Merlin
11-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Someone shit in your cornflakes again Merlin? Contrary to what you might think, Mr Thompson is not the anti-christ. He's the GM of an NFL football team.

You are the Yin to the Yang. Some give him all credit for good and no blame for the bad. You blame him for everything bad and give him no credit for the good.

The world is still in balance, and I thank you for it. I dont want a topsy turvey world where you have a good attitude on Monday mornings after a win. I would be gathering canned goods and heading for the mountains.

Once again, a blanket and inaccurate statement. I give Thompson credit. Unfortunately, people like you overlook what is actually written and go off into left field for whatever reason. What it boils down to is that Thompson appeasers are such big hypocrites that it makes posts like this one even more enjoyable to read. It's unfortunate that I should even have to defend my position on Thompson so often. It's even more unfortunate that people here represent the society we live in. It is a "Me" world after all is it not?

Merlin
11-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Speaking of Grant, apparently he sustained a concussion and is questionable for next week :cry:

That being said, damn there are some bitter m'fer's out there. 7-1. We have some holes, but I also think we are a bit ahead of schedule as far as being competitive :shock:

Bitter has nothing to do with it. When we start to address our problems then I will be happier then I am being 7-1. I just think the wheels are going to come off the bus at some point and the only blame that will go around is the kind we are seeing here for Colledge. Not the guy who drafted him or the people who supported the both of them.

Merlin
11-05-2007, 11:17 AM
We have the NFL's worst running game for a reason and it isn't all on Colledge. It's on Thompson and only on Thompson. If you can give him all of the credit for our success, then you have to give him credit for us being the worst running team in the NFL. Otherwise any praise for him is simply nothing more then a personal bias for the guy.

Fair enough. I give him credit for putting together a team that has a legitimate chance of going to the Super Bowl despite having the league 's worst rushing offense.

That's too much credit. Thompson gets credit for drafting young players. He has zero to do with their development or how they perform on the field. We have the youngest team in the NFL and have had a lot of luck, primarily from Favre this season so far. 4 come from behind victories and Favre playing lights out. Our defense has been average but is getting better having stepped up the past three games, especially with the timely turnovers. Thompson had nothing to do with that, he doesn't play the game. Last time I checked, Thompson wasn't playing unless I am missing something here. So no more bashing of our young players unless you are willing to bash Thompson.

Merlin
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM

I would agree.

However, Thompson is also responsible for the team being 7-1. He hired the coach. He revamped the defense. He gave Favre the weapons in the passing game (Lee, Jennings, Jones...hopefully Robinson) to succeed.

So what's your point? Green Bay got screwed by Houston offering Ahman Green ridiculous money...leaving us with very few options at RB. Thompson did a reasonable job of targeting Grant at the end of preseason...who looks like he is at least a solid #2 back in this league. Grabbing Hall for FB also will turn out to be a good move. However, Thompson should be held accountable for not doing what was necessary to build this running game prior to Green's departure.

The draft next year is loaded at RB...until then, we ride the arm of a HOF QB. What's the big deal?

Once again, let me spell it out for you:

If you are going to hack on players that aren't performing then you need to hack on Thompson. You support everything about him when it works but then relegate all of the blame for things that don't work to something else. Sorry, that is being hypocritical.

Brohm
11-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I think Colledge will be alright eventually. A veteran presence would have been nice, especially as a mentor to the youth. Wolf took a couple years to get the ground game running with some stop gap guards/takles. Hell the O-line didn't hit its stride till after he left. I remember Wilkerson at LT :shock: in the SB win. I think (hope!) we will see big strides next year in our O-line and maybe even our RB (if we don't draft a stud next year). Ahman took ~3years to get rolling.

Partial
11-05-2007, 11:21 AM

Bitter has nothing to do with it. When we start to address our problems then I will be happier then I am being 7-1. I just think the wheels are going to come off the bus at some point and the only blame that will go around is the kind we are seeing here for Colledge. Not the guy who drafted him or the people who supported the both of them.

Why would we blame him for missing on a draft pick? It happens. He also drafted Juice, Moll, Spitz, and that rookie this year. They could probably step in and fill the void.

Freak Out
11-05-2007, 11:24 AM
If it all comes tumbling down because the team can't pass block for #4 during what could be his last run and knowing that the running game was going to be a crap shoot we should get to have a big happy blanket party with TT....he can keep his job but we get to beat the hell out of him.

Who could step up right now and replace Colledge? If he sucks at both run blocking and pass protection why the hell is he still in there? Our backups are worse? :cry:

Zool
11-05-2007, 11:32 AM

Once again, a blanket and inaccurate statement. I give Thompson credit. Unfortunately, people like you overlook what is actually written and go off into left field for whatever reason. What it boils down to is that Thompson appeasers are such big hypocrites that it makes posts like this one even more enjoyable to read. It's unfortunate that I should even have to defend my position on Thompson so often. It's even more unfortunate that people here represent the society we live in. It is a "Me" world after all is it not?

So you really do think you're better than most people. I thought it was just an internet persona. Simply amazing that you cant laugh about anything. Sorry for your loss.

Zool
11-05-2007, 11:35 AM
bloink

Joemailman
11-05-2007, 11:47 AM
If it all comes tumbling down because the team can't pass block for #4 during what could be his last run and knowing that the running game was going to be a crap shoot we should get to have a big happy blanket party with TT....he can keep his job but we get to beat the hell out of him.

Who could step up right now and replace Colledge? If he sucks at both run blocking and pass protection why the hell is he still in there? Our backups are worse? :cry:

With Spitz, Wells, Moll and Coston all out with injuries at various times this season, leaving Colledge at LG has probably been a necessity. If the Packers get all their interior OL guys healthy, and Colledge is still playing poorly, you could see a change there.

One thing that hasn't been talked about regarding the poor running game is the fact that the Packers have had a revolving door this season at RB, C, and RG. If the injuries stop, and they can settle on a consistent lineup, I think improvement in the running game is still a real possibility.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Colledge has pass blocked well... up until this last game. It could be a one game thing or he could be losing confidence. I have a short leash with him though. If he has another bad pass blocking game this week, I'd look to replace him with Spitz--if Coston is back. Having Spitz and Coston in the starting lineup would give us more strength in the interior.

MJZiggy
11-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I wonder if Colledge continues to struggle if they try him out at tackle to see if he has a future there or if the just replace him and be done with it.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
I wonder if Colledge continues to struggle if they try him out at tackle to see if he has a future there or if the just replace him and be done with it.

I have hopes for him at OT. He's a good pass blocker out there, and you aren't facing big players out there. More speed rushers. If he's going to make it at OG, he needs to get stronger. It can still happen. Mike Wahle had similar struggles early in his career.

The Leaper
11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Once again, let me spell it out for you:

If you are going to hack on players that aren't performing then you need to hack on Thompson. You support everything about him when it works but then relegate all of the blame for things that don't work to something else. Sorry, that is being hypocritical.

That is ridiculous Merlin.

So Thompson should be responsible for all of Colledge's whiffs? At some point, the player is also accountable for his mistakes. Thompson is merely accountable for getting the talent on the field...he's not responsible for making them live up to their expectations.

In terms of the running game, it is obvious Thompson hasn't put enough talent on the field at RB...and should have considered some veteran help on the OL. However, his excellence elsewhere must also be noted.

I'm hardly someone who has always been positive of Thompson's moves. I was highly critical of how he handled the Moss situation, because I still feel Thompson was interested in Moss and didn't do enough to seal the deal. I wasn't thrilled with his selection of Harrell...I was willing to give it time, and thought Harrell had potential, but I would have preferred Reggie Nelson.

Besides, you calling someone out for being overly optimistic of Thompson is what is TRULY hypocritical. Your obtuse negativity toward Thompson is painfully obvious to everyone...you never give him credit for any Packer success.

Partial
11-05-2007, 12:22 PM

I have hopes for him at OT. He's a good pass blocker out there, and you aren't facing big players out there. More speed rushers. If he's going to make it at OG, he needs to get stronger. It can still happen. Mike Wahle had similar struggles early in his career.

On the plus side, another year at guard could really help his development and well-roundedness as a player. If he can learn to pass-block the big boys while keeping his quickness, he'll be an even better tackle!

MJZiggy
11-05-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm not questioning whether he could do it, I'm wondering if the coaches give him a shot at it if he fails at guard.

cpk1994
11-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Hey Merlin, after watching the KC game, do you still think the Packers kept the wrong kicker? You fail again.

Freak Out
11-05-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm not questioning whether he could do it, I'm wondering if the coaches give him a shot at it if he fails at guard.

Nice Avatar Zig...is that near your home?

MJZiggy
11-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks. It's a couple hours from here, closer to the shore, looking at the Chesapeake.

4and12to12and4
11-05-2007, 01:19 PM

With Spitz, Wells, Moll and Coston all out with injuries at various times this season, leaving Colledge at LG has probably been a necessity. If the Packers get all their interior OL guys healthy, and Colledge is still playing poorly, you could see a change there.

One thing that hasn't been talked about regarding the poor running game is the fact that the Packers have had a revolving door this season at RB, C, and RG. If the injuries stop, and they can settle on a consistent lineup, I think improvement in the running game is still a real possibility.

I've talked about it and nobody ever responds. That is why I say Brandon Jackson can be a very good back, and give us a running game, but just as he was getting going after a few games, (against excellent defenses, by the way) our line started getting shifted around like the beggining of last year due to injury. We need Coston, Wells, Spitz, Moll, etc. healthy to give Brandon enough running plays to gel with these guys and then we will run a little. He's no Peterson, but I believe he, with the proper line, will give us enough of a threat to be able to use play action and everything else that comes with a running threat.

Carolina_Packer
11-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Last off-season is long gone. Why even talk about it? TT is going to do what he thinks is best. ALL GM's have hits and misses when it comes to evaluating and signing talent. If you have more hits than misses, you are successful.

GM's do the best they can to evaluate the talent before they choose it for their respective teams. Sometimes it's a pick that looks good that just never works out. Sometimes it's boom/bust pick that never booms. Some players do take time to develop.

Like it or not, TT's approach is to go with youth and veterans at some key positions. They may bring energy and enthusiasm, but the downside is that they are being put in challenging situations more quickly than many players of similar experience on other teams. In essense, we need them to be good now. Obviously there have been cases where they have been, and also cases where they have shown inexperience or bad play. The good news is, we have overcome any "deficit" that this entails so far and are 7-1 to date. They are all works in progress, as is the team as a whole, but the results so far are encouraging. It's good to think about what needs to be improved, but as a fan it's also good to enjoy what is happening as it is happening; enjoying the moment is huge.

Joemailman
11-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Changes afoot for offensive line?
Coach Mike McCarthy today acknowledged left guard Daryn Colledge played poorly in Sunday's win at Kansas City and left open the possibility of a change at the position.

"He didn't play very well (Sunday), and he needs to perform better," McCarthy said.

Asked whether he's considering a change, McCarthy said, "That's something you always talk about. ... It's an area that needs to improve."

Whenever Junius Coston fully recovered from his ankle injury, all three players who have started a game at right guard this season -- Coston, Tony Moll and Jason Spitz -- all will be available. That makes it possible one of those players could take over at left guard should Colledge continue to falter.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

privatepacker
11-05-2007, 02:52 PM

I think that w/o Grant we will some of our running game effectiveness but it won't be shut down. I will disagree that we are a little bit ahead of schedule....I think we are a whole lot ahead of any schedule for competitivness. I still think we will lose once to Lions, Vikings, and the Cowboys. Overall, unless the team tanks the rest of the season, very proud of this year's Packers.

FritzDontBlitz
11-23-2007, 11:05 AM
I had to bump this, not because I wanted to gloat, but because some of these observations are just too damn funny....

I first asserted Grant was the real deal in this thread, and I'm kinda proud of myself for seeing it before the masses did. Colledge still pisses me off every game, but maybe I need to back off on calling him a bust and give him a little more time. The team is 10-1 now, and Colledge has played damn near every snap. He stepped on Brett's foot on the first play of the game, but if the Pack can survive with him I guess I can too.

4and12 was hyping Jackson as the better back then and he's still doing it now. A simple difference of opinion, no biggie.

Merlin still goes ballistic and yells "Ted Thompson sucks" no matter the subject. I am now convinced Merlin's real name is "Homer Thurm" (a dated reference if ever there was one). He never accepts the concept that a GM's hits will always outweigh his misses.

OK OK. I confess. I wanted to gloat. I actually fell in love with Grant after the screen pass against the Giants in week two, but I thought I'd pull this up because I actually started this thread....

Carolina_Packer
11-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what 4and12 is seeing that we are not. Hey, I hope Jackson does step up and show what he is capable of. I'd love for him to show up Ryan Grant, because that would mean the Packers have 2 weapons in the backfield and different looks. Jackson was injured. I don't know if he still is, but he doesn't look at dominant and confident as Grant, who looks like a guy who realized the opportunity he had and "ran with it".